The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Would a map ban system be good for the health of the game?

FrostySeal
FrostySeal Member Posts: 625
edited August 12 in Feedback and Suggestions

Would a map ban feature be healthy for the game? I was thinking that if they were to hypothetically add this feature each Survivor would be allowed 1 map they could pick to ban before a round begins and the Killer would be allowed to either ban a whole realm altogether or 4 maps to compensate. The map bans trump map offerings meaning if someone did bring a map offering and that map was banned it'd work exactly like a sacrificial ward, canceling out the map offering.

I could see this feature being very beneficial to the dev's too because they'd be able to see what maps are banned the most by survivors and specific Killers which would make it easy to see what maps need to be reworked in the future. Thoughts?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795

i would rather ban perks than maps.

if each survivor could ban one killer perk and the killer gets to ban four survivor perks, my games of dbd would suddenly be much more fun. no more pain res or distortion ever again, yippee.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 651
    edited August 12

I think this might create a repetition issue where everyone bans the same maps and then it becomes a common complaint that certain maps are hard or impossible to get in on, although one could argue some of these maps deserve it (especially if some won't get killswitched despite being bugged).

It might also result in people who might not like a certain character or license banning their map on release to ensure others can't play on it, but now that I type that out it sounds kinda like doomposting.

This could certainly be an idea worth testing, though I'm not necessarily confident it'll be healthy for the game. Stuff like map bans frames the trials in a much more competitive perspective, whereas the game tends to aim more for Casual Coop Horror game vibes. I've seen it said that style of developing is part of what's harming DBD, but the grass is always greener and all that. Ultimately, I'm on the fence, if that wasn't clear from all the indecisive yapping in this comment.

• Sarrif
    Sarrif Member Posts: 192

Not really? Don't get me wrong it could be cool but it's pointless from a survivor side without knowing who the killer is. Like Lery is awful from a survivor side if the killer is a stealthy one but actually is one of the few maps where Nurse comes close to being balanced on due to all the LOS breaks.

Map balance is mostly dependent on who the killer is, while there are some maps like new Haddonfield that are horrible for survivors no matter what, map bans would need to reveal who the killer is before hand to be relevant.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,718
    edited August 12

that would be perfect. no more than 2 map offerings bans should count from survivor side so a swf can't ban 4 realms for their liking, and newly released maps' map offerings bans should be disabled for a week and voilà, no more broken maps like badham or haddonfield and sending a whole lobby to one person's fav map bs is gone.

edit: i thought you were suggesting changing how map offerings work, my bad. still would be such a nice implementation.

• CursedPerson
    CursedPerson Member Posts: 91

I would much rather see a killer ban list for solo que players. I'd love if I never had to see another skull merchant again. Map or perk bans would make since if they added a competitive mode though

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 979

Doubt anything like this would be implemented. The game is considered casual without a mode for competitive gameplay.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 162

problem for that is each survivor gets one you could ban say pain res but the rest just pick random or a niche perk killer gets full control while your team could troll or screw you over

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,392

Probably easier to just do away with map offerings

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

It doesn't really work because you must rearrange builds in every matches

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

They shouldn't do a map ban system, especially if it's something that's going to nullify offerings without having to give up anything. Sacrificial Ward works to cancel offerings because you are giving up using other offerings like an event BP offering to use it.

They should change map offerings to guarantee you won't go to a certain realm instead of increasing the odds. This would fix the problem of people using map offerings to go to a map that favors their team/killer for easier win while also giving people a chance to avoid the maps they don't want to go to. Sacrificial Ward could still be used so no map has a permanent ban.

Devs would still be able to see which maps people avoid going to based on the map offering used and if they are choosing them over event offerings where they'd get extra BP.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,279

The problem with Sacrificial Ward is they appear in bloodwebs about as often as any specific map offering. You can't expect people to use them every match, while it's ENTIRELY possible to use map offerings every match (especially SWFs who can take turns).

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,915

It would be more healthy for the game if they removed all map offerings and made sure everyone got sent to a new map in rotation.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

They could increase the chance of Sacrificial Ward in the bloodweb while decreasing map offerings so people get more Sacrificial Wards.

Not sure why people would be expected to run Sacrificial Ward every match if it was map ban offering instead when people aren't expected to run Sacrificial Ward every match right now when map offerings increase chance to go to a map that puts the other side at an advantage. SWF can already take turns using map offerings and have their teammates use other offerings to do anti-hook build, map ban offerings would make this more difficult for SWF.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,279

II'm In no way saying sacrificial wards are in a good position currently.

• SoloSurvivorWarrior
    SoloSurvivorWarrior Member Posts: 1

A map ban system isn't needed if we had that we'd never see most maps lol all they need to do is remove map offerings. Neither side should have the ability to pick where the game takes place

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,216

As long as SWFs / Survivors dont get to ban 4 maps.

It should be random whose "ban" that will apply when the match starts.

And it should be overruled by a map offering.

• ExPokemonMaster
    ExPokemonMaster Member Posts: 3

Honestly I'd love if they just did what CoD does. Give me two maps and random to choose from and let everyone vote. Then add an option to burn an offering for a map to add +1 vote to that location.

• Rumplestiltskin
    Rumplestiltskin Member Posts: 138

No, a map ban system is not a good way to approach the overall issues with maps and Killer mobility in the game. The best fix would have not to have created such a HUGE discrepancy between Killer mobility, so that some huge maps are nothing to some Killers and nothing but heartache to M1, slowpokes by comparison. That ship has sailed however. The next best fix would be for all the maps to get a rework wherein the M1 aren't playing from behind. It isn't perfect fix, but probably better than having to redo all the damn Killers. The only OTHER way to fix it, which I think would work would be to make it impossible for certain Killers to get certain maps. That would be problematic in different ways.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

Just flip map offerings on their head and make them ban the realm instead honestly.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,427

Crazy to see this suggestion so far down in the thread. This is literally the most obvious choice. Now we have map bans and we fix the map offering problem.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

This would only make the problem worse.

Survivors get to ban 4 out of the 5 killer sided maps, while killer gets to ban 1 of the 30 survivor sided maps.

The option to choose your realm still gets removed, deleting mirror myers, and you haven't solved the problem map offerings supposedly pose anyway.