Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New scratchmarks are bugged on some objects (picture included!)

Coffeecrashing
Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674
edited August 28 in Bug Reporting

The new scratchmarks are bugged on some objects. Any object that doesn't have collision, like the tall grass on the swamp maps, can't show scratchmarks, which means the scratchmarks get hidden under the grass.

Other objects, like this giant net, also don't show scratchmarks correctly, as the scratchmarks can't show up on the holes in the net.

We were told the entire point of the scratchmark update, was to make sure the scratchmarks showed up properly on all objects. The survivor in this picture ran right through the grass, and up the stairs, and you can see her on the top of the stairs. These scratchmarks should be WAY easier to see.

Are these stairs just bugged for scratchmarks too? Here is another picture of a survivor running up the stairs, and the scratchmarks are barely there too. Are they trying (and failing) to spawn on the empty spaces between the stairs?

Edit: The wooden planks above the giant net are also bugged for scratchmarks, possibly because they also have gaps between the wooden planks. The stairs, net, and planks all have holes or gaps,.

Post edited by Coffeecrashing on
10 votes

Under Review · Last Updated

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue, we are forwarding this to the team for their review.

Comments

• VirtuaTyKing
    VirtuaTyKing Member Posts: 465

It's damn awful and giving me a literal headache playing. I have never lost track of survivors as often as today. They stay like this just remove them altogether. If the point was to completely confuse killer. Then job well done!

• Coffeecrashing

I don't understand how this is still Under Review. This was supposed to be a major feature of this patch, and it's clearly broken in many places. Even if BHVR can't think of a quick fix, they could at least acknowledge this bug, right? This should be on the Known Issues list, since it was a major patch feature, right?

It's just so sad, that bugs like "Sable's free rift outfit wasn't unique enough", gets immediate response from BHVR because it's super important even though the outfit wasn't actually affecting gameplay…… but "the new scratchmarks are sometimes totally broken, and by the way, they are 100% consistently broken in some places so it's super easy to verify this" gets zero comments from BHVR?

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 615

True. It is such a shame. They also didn't listen it under the known issues on their latest patch notes. E

• abcdef
    abcdef Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 33

Why bhvr refuses to revert scratch marks changes that broke them over 1 year ago is beyond me

• Coffeecrashing

BHVR made the above update in this latest patch. They said "WE'VE REVIEWED EACH MAP TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE ADEQUATELY VISIBLE". But they aren't adequately visible in the screenshots at the top of this forum thread, and people have given multiple scenarios where they don't work properly.

It's so awful this is a zero priority issue. Are we stuck with broken scratchmarks forever? I have a bug ticket where the game steals hits from the killer, that has existed for a year and a half, so it's well known that BHVR sometimes will just ignore tickets for literal years.

• abcdef

Scratch marks have been messed up for over a year now. They've made some changes to them that reduced their spawning consistency and for some reason never reverted it @Coffeecrashing

• abcdef

Increasing their brightness isn't going to fix bad spawn logic anyway

• Coffeecrashing

I am aware that scratchmarks have been bad for a while. This patch was supposed to fix scratchmarks being difficult to see on some surfaces. The point is they still are difficult to see on some surfaces, which means the scratchmark update has problems that should be addressed.

And yes, most of this is bad spawn logic, where the scratchmarks literally can't appear on some objects because they lack collision, or because there are holes in the object. We've also seen screenshots of narrow hallways, where the scratchmarks aren't properly showing up on the narrow floors… I'm not sure what is causing that problem… maybe if there isn't enough space for a full scratchmark graphic, they get really buggy?

The point is BHVR said they fixed the scratchmark problem with this current patch… but they didn't. But they also aren't admitting there is a problem, so we might be stuck with these broken scratchmarks for a few more years. And really, it only takes 5 minutes for BHVR to start a custom game with 2 people, and have a survivor run up the stairs that are shown in the screenshots at the top of this forum thread. It only takes 5 minutes to verify this issue is occurring, and we can't even get that to happen.