The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

To Devs - Distortion and Aura Reading (Very Long Post)

Atticus_VII
Atticus_VII Member Posts: 5
edited August 28 in Feedback and Suggestions

Edit: Fixed a couple typos.

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster on here.
I think it's very interesting and insightful to read everyone's differing opinions on all elements of this game. Some conversations are productive, others aren't. I know that a hot topic is Distortion lately. I think it's surprising to a degree, seeing as how it's been in the game for almost 6 years, being released in 2018. I know it was buffed from its original state, to how it is now, where you can regenerate tokens for every 30 seconds you're in the killer's terror radius. I am also an avid Distortion user myself. I think the main issue that's causing Distortion to get so much attention, and inevitably, passionate discussions at times, both in defense and against this perk, is the sheer amount of aura perks in the game overall. Distortion is almost necessary at this stage in the game, because of the sheer amount of aura reading, both on survivor and killer sides.

TOTAL SURVIVOR PERKS ALLOW TO SEE THE KILLER AURA: 14
ITEMS WITH ADD-ONS THAT ALLOW TO SEE THE KILLER AURA: 1
TOTAL WAYS TO SEE KILLER AURA AS SURVIVOR: 15

TOTAL KILLER PERKS ALLOW TO SEE THE SURVIVOR AURA: 27
KILLER POWERS WITH ADD-ONS THAT ALLOW TO SEE THE SURVIVOR AURAS: 61
TOTAL WAYS TO SEE SURVIVOR AURA AS KILLER: 88

Now, between both sides, there is a total of 103 ways to see auras in the game currently.

The perks, items and add-ons list above are ways that Auras of the opposing sides can be seen by Survivor or Killer, depending on which side(s) you play as.
As a Survivor, if you run an “Aura” build with 4 perks and bring a key (from Broken key to Skeleton Key), then they can have a maximum of 5 ways to read the Killer aura at various times. However, none of these are constant, although some range from extremely useful to borderline useless, depending on how situational they are. The only “consistent” Survivor perk that allows you to read the killer aura is Object of Obsession, but it only activates when the Killer reads or attempts to read your aura. Meanwhile, it allows the Killer to see your aura every 30 seconds unless you’re running Distortion or entering a Locker. Granted, when you enter a locker, you can’t use your aura reading perks either.
Killers have vastly more options in terms of ways they can read auras of survivors, with a decent amount of them being fairly strong. Additionally, if a Killer ran a build with all aura perks (unlikely due to not having any gen slowdown/regression), and depending on the Killer they are, they can have UP TO 7 total ways to read survivor auras. Granted, while uncommon, if ever experienced at all, this is a potential that the killers can achieve.

I understand that on both sides, some aura perks are much better than others, and some of these perks aren’t ran at all, or very rarely. I am just showing all the ways that both sides can read each other’s auras.

NOTE: This is just about the perks that show Auras. There are numerous other perks/add-ons that killers have that also provide information where a survivor is at via screams or loud noise notifications.

MY TAKE:

I do think that Distortion is fine as is, because while not every killer runs aura reading perks or add-ons, I would say - again, in my own experience - that roughly 90% of matches I start as survivor, I lose a token right away, letting me know that the Killer is running Lethal Pursuer, and most times, they are running at least 1 other perk to read auras as well.

That's not to discredit what Killers think or feel. I try to be as impartial and unbiased, both as a person with my values, and I am also required to do so in my job, so I do welcome any and all opinions anyone wishes to provide.

If a change is made, I do hope that it is something that is fair. I've seen the idea of Distortion not regenerating tokens, but to make up for that, it starts with 5-10 tokens (depending on who you ask), so that way you have a decent amount, but once they're gone, that's it. I've also read about only regenerating tokens mid-chase. While not as big a fan as this one, I can understand the logic behind it as well.

TO THE DEVS:

In the end, no matter what I or anyone else says or voices, I understand that you will make whatever changes you want to whatever perks/killers/add-ons, etc., that you deem fit. If Distortion gets gutted and becomes "useless", it would be unfortunate, but that just means it would be time to adopt another perk as a staple in many survivor's builds, mine included. I

I think a more important factor to look at as a whole is to understand the sheer amount and possible ways that auras can be read. I love aura reading, but I think it is getting a bit ridiculous on both sides. If you're going to keep introducing aura reading perks, then you need to start incorporating more perks on survivor end that can help block aura reading in SOME capacity, although I don't have any recommendations at this current time.

More ways to prevent the Survivor from reading Killer auras would be interesting too, although, again, I don't have any recommendations yet.

Below, if you are inclined to look, I have listed all the ways both sides can see each other's perks. If not, either way, thank you for your time reading my post.

List of Perks that Reveal Auras of Killer/Survivor
Survivor Perks that Reveal Killer Aura

1. Alert – Feng Min Perk
    Your acute senses are on high alert.
    Whenever the Killer performs the Break or Damage Action, Alert triggers:
    • Their Aura is revealed to you for 3/4/5 seconds.
  2. Babysitter – Steve Harrington Perk
    While you have a reputation for being self-centered, you risk it all to help those in need.
    Whenever you unhook a Survivor, the Aura of the Killer is revealed to you for 8 seconds, while the unhooked Survivor benefits from the following effects for 20/25/30 seconds instead:
    • Suppresses the creation of their Scratch Marks and Pools of Blood.
    • Increases the strength of their Haste Status Effect by +10 %.
  3. Bond – Dwight Fairfield Perk
    Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability:
    • The Auras of all other Survivors within 20/28/36 meters of your location are revealed to you.
    A NOTE: As a Bond user myself, while it doesn’t let you see the Killer Aura, if the Killer is chasing another Survivor, and that survivor comes within range of you, you can then see what’s going on the Survivor’s end and have a general idea of where the Killer is. Therefore, it still provides information even without the actual Killer Aura.
  4. Breakdown – Jeff Johansen Perk
    Each time you are unhooked or unhook yourself, the Hook breaks and the Killer's Aura is revealed to you for 4/5/6 seconds.
    • A Hook broken by Breakdown takes 180 seconds to respawn.
  5. Buckle Up – Ash Williams Perk
    Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability.
    When healing a Survivor in the Dying State, Buckle Up activates:
    • The Aura of the Killer is revealed to the both of you.
    • Completing a Healing Action on the dying Survivor suppresses their Scratch Marks and grants them a +50 % Haste Status Effect for 3/4/5 seconds.
    Buckle Up does not cause the Exhausted Status Effect.
  6. Dark Sense – All Survivors Perk
    Each time a Generator is completed, Dark Sense activates:

• The Aura of the Killer is revealed to you for 5/7/10 seconds, as soon as they come within 24 meters of your location, after which Dark Sense deactivates.
A NOTE: For those who may be confused about what this description may mean; Dark Sense no longer triggers immediately when a generator is completed. The effect will activate once the killer is within 24 meters of you, regardless of if you can see each other or not.

7. Eyes of Belmont – Trevor Belmont Perk
A history of vampire-hunting imbues the bloodline with certain abilities.
• Whenever a Generator is completed, the Aura of the Killer is revealed to you for 1/2/3 seconds.
• Extends the duration of all instances of the Killer’s Aura being revealed to you by +2 seconds
Eyes of Belmont benefits from its own effect.

8. Fogwise – Vittorio Toscano Perk
In your countless years in The Fog, you have seen it all, and when you are focused, you can remember most of it too.
• Succeeding a Great Skill Check while repairing a Generator reveals the Aura of the Killer to you for 4/5/6 seconds.

9. Hardened – Lara Croft Perk
Live long enough, and survival will run in your blood.
After unlocking a Chest and either blessing or cleansing a Totem, Hardened activates:
• Suppresses the urge to scream from any cause and instead causes the Aura of the Killer to be revealed to you for 3/4/5 seconds.

10. Kindred – All Survivors Perk
While you are hooked:
• The Auras of all Survivors are revealed to one another.
• Whenever the Killer is within 8/12/16 meters of your Hook, their Aura is revealed to all Survivors.
While any other Survivor is hooked:
• The Auras of all other Survivors are revealed to you.
• Whenever the Killer is within 8/12/16 meters of the hooked Survivor, their Aura is revealed to you.

11. Object of Obsession – Laurie Strode Perk
A supernatural bond links you to the Killer.
Whenever the Killer reads your Aura, Object of Obsession activates for the same duration as their Aura-reading action:
• Reveals the Killer's Aura to you.
• Increases your Action speeds in Repairing, Healing, and Cleansing by 2/4/6 %.
Whenever you are the Obsession, your Aura is automatically revealed to the Killer for 3 seconds every 30 seconds.
Increases your chance of becoming the initial Obsession by increasing the default value by +100 %.

12. Still Sight – Aestri Yazar Perk
A clear mind and calm temperament will always find the means of their escape.
After standing still for 6/5/4 seconds, Still Sight activates:
• The Auras of the Killer as well as any Chests and Generators within 24 meters of your location are revealed to you until you start moving again.

13. Strength in Shadows – Sable Ward Perk
A chance for renewed power down where danger calls home.
When you are in the Basement, Strength in Shadows activates:
• Unlocks the Strength in Shadows ability, allowing you to self-heal without needing a Med-Kit at 70 % of the normal Healing speed.
• Upon finishing a heal in the Basement, the Aura of the Killer is revealed to you for 6/8/10 seconds.

14. Wicked – Sable Ward Perk
They can try to hurt you.
But you're not going down so easily.
• Grants the ability to successfully unhook yourself when hooked inside the Basement.
• The Aura of the Killer is revealed to you for 16/18/20 seconds after unhooking yourself or being unhooked.

15. Wiretap – Ada Wong Perk
You know that the best way to stay one step ahead is to keep tabs on the competition.
After repairing Generators for a total of 40 %, Wiretap activates:
• Press the Active Ability button while near a partially progressed Generator to install a Trap, which stays active for 100/110/120 seconds.
• Whenever the Killer comes within 14 meters of the Trapped Generator their Aura is revealed to all Survivors.
Wiretap deactivates after the Generator is damaged or once the timer runs out.
The Auras of Trapped Generators are revealed to all Survivors in yellow.

Survivor Items/Add-Ons that show Killer Aura
Item: Key - The Key is an Item that can be used to open the Hatch when it spawns.
It can also be used with Add-ons to enhance its power and show the user different Auras, such as those of other Survivors in their vicinity or that of the Killer. The Broken Key cannot be used to open the Hatch and is of no use without Add-ons.

Add-On: Blood Amber
A blood-red amber striped with black veins.
The amber is warm to the touch.

• The Aura of the Killer within 32 meters is revealed to you while Mind Channel is active.
• Increases the Depletion rate by +100 %.

Special Note: Boon: Shadow Step – Mikaela Reid Perk
A Boon that conceals the truth.
Press and hold the Active Ability button on a Dull or Hex Totem to bless it and create a Boon Totem.
Soft chimes ring out in a radius of 24 meters.
All Survivors benefit from the following effects when inside the Boon Totem's radius:
• Scratch Marks are suppressed.
• Auras are hidden from The Killer.
Both effects linger for 2/3/4 seconds after leaving the Boon Totem's range.

While nowhere near as effective as Distortion since Distortion does not have a range limiting factor, and boon perks aren’t very popular – at least in my experience, I can’t speak for everyone – IF someone does run this and IF they are in its range whenever a Killer perk activates to read Survivor Auras, then it does provide the same benefits as Distortion. However, those are all BIG IF’S, and highly subjective.
Now, time to look at the number of ways that killers can read survivor auras.

Killer Perks that Reveal Survivor Aura

1. A Nurse’s Calling – The Nurse Perk
    • The Auras of Survivors who are healing or being healed are revealed to you within 20/24/28 meters.
  2. Alien Instinct – The Xenomorph Perk
    You are so stealthy, sometimes it seems like you appear out of nowhere.
    Whenever you hook a Survivor, Alien Instinct activates:
    • The Aura of the farthest injured Survivor is revealed to you for 5 seconds.
    • That Survivor suffers from the Oblivious Status Effect for 16/18/20 seconds
  3. Awakened Awareness – The Mastermind Perk
    Your genes have been altered to heighten your senses in intense situations.
    While carrying a Survivor, you benefit from the following effect:
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 16/18/20 meters of your location are revealed to you.
  4. Barbecue & Chili – The Cannibal Perk
    A deep bond with The Entity unlocks potential in one's Aura-reading ability.
    • After hooking a Survivor, all Survivors who are at least 60/50/40 meters away from that Hook have their Aura revealed to you for 5 seconds.
  5. Bitter Murmur – All Killers Perk
    • Each time a Generator is completed, the Auras of all Survivors within 16 meters of that Generator are revealed to you for 5 seconds.
    • Once the last Generator is completed, the Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you for 5/7/10 seconds.
  6. Blood Warden – The Nightmare Perk
    As soon as one Exit Gate is opened, Blood Warden activates.
    • The Auras of Survivors standing within the Exit-Gate area are revealed to you.
    Once per Trial, hooking a Survivor while Blood Warden is active calls upon The Entity to block the exits for all Survivors for 30/40/60 seconds.
  7. Darkness Revealed – The Dredge Perk
    In your presence, places once thought to be safe are perhaps the most dangerous.
    Searching a Locker has the following effect:
    • The Auras of Survivors within 8 meters of any Locker are revealed to you for 6/7/8 seconds.
    Darkness Revealed has a cool-down of 30 seconds.
  8. Deerstalker – All Killers Perk
    • The Auras of all Survivors in the Dying State within 20/28/36 meters of your location are revealed to you.
  9. Friends ‘Til the End – The Good Guy Perk
    You will kill anyone who gets between you and your target.
    When you hook any Survivors that is not the Obsession, the following effects apply to the Obsession:
    • Their Aura is revealed for 6/8/10 seconds.
    • They suffer from the Exposed Status Effect for 20 seconds.
    When you hook the Obsession, the following effects apply to a random Survivor:
    • Causes the Survivor to scream and reveal their location to the Killer.
    • They become the new Obsession.
    You can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
  10. Gearhead – The Deathslinger Perk
    You have got an ear for well-oiled gears.
    After a Survivor loses a Health State, Gearhead activates for 30 seconds:
    • While Gearhead is active, a Survivor succeeding a Good Skill Check while repairing reveals their Aura to you for 6/7/8 seconds.
  11. Grim Embrace – The Artist Perk
    Your act of servitude to The Entity has not gone unnoticed.
    Each time a Survivor is hooked for the first time, Grim Embrace gains +1 Token and activates once you are at least 16 meters away from the Hook:
    • 1-3 Tokens: Blocks all Generators for 6/8/10 seconds.
    • 4 Tokens: Blocks all Generators for 40 seconds and the Aura of the Obsession is revealed to you for 6 seconds.
  12. Hex: Face the Darkness – The Knight Perk
    You make an example of one of your victims, forcing their allies to become awed by your power.
    Whenever you injure a Survivor by any means, if there is still a Dull Totem remaining on the Map, Hex: Face the Darkness activates and lights it, cursing that Survivor:
    • Causes all other Survivors to scream every 35/30/25 seconds, if they are outside of the Terror Radius, revealing their Auras for 2 seconds each time.
    Hex: Face the Darkness deactivates once the Cursed Survivor either enters the Dying State
    or is fully healed, which extinguishes the Totem.
    Hex: Face the Darkness is disabled for the remainder of the Trial, if a Survivor manages to cleanse its Hex Totem
  13. Hex: Retribution – The Deathslinger Perk
    A Hex that lashes out upon its destruction.
    Those who cross you will be punished.
    • Survivors cleansing or blessing any Totem suffer from the Oblivious Status Effect for 35/40/45 seconds.
    • After cleansing or blessing a Hex Totem, the Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you for 15 seconds.
    All effects of the Hex Perk persist until its Hex Totem is cleansed or blessed.
  14. Hex: Undying – The Blight Perk
    A Hex which maintains the vile powers that flow throughout the Trial.
    The Auras of Survivors within 2/3/4 meters of any Dull Totem are revealed to you.
    • When another Perk's Hex Totem is cleansed or blessed, its Hex is transferred to the Hex: Undying Totem, including any accumulated Tokens, disabling Hex: Undying instead.
  15. Human Greed – The Dark Lord Perk
    One can always rely on the avarice of the living and use it to one's advantage.
    Grants the ability to kick opened Chests and close them.
    • Increases the Unlocking speed on kicked Chests by +50 %.
    • The Auras of unopened Chests are revealed to you at all times.
    • The Auras of Survivors coming within 8 meters of unopened or closed Chests are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
    Human Greed has a cool-down of 80/70/60 seconds on the ability to kick Chests.
  16. I’m All Ears – The Ghost Face Perk
    Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability, sharpening your keen senses in the dark Realm of The Entity.
    Any Survivor performing a Rushed Vault within 48 meters of your location triggers I'm All Ears:
    • The Aura of that Survivor is revealed to you for 6 seconds.
    I'm All Ears has a cool-down of 60/45/30 seconds.
  17. Lethal Pursuer – Nemesis Perk
    You have been designed to track down and eliminate targets.
    At the start of the Trial, the Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you for 7/8/9 seconds.
    • Extends the duration of all instances of a Survivor Aura being revealed to you by +2 seconds.
    Lethal Pursuer benefits from its own effect.
  18. Lightborn – The Hillbilly Perk
    Unlike other beasts of The Fog, you have adapted to light.
    • The Auras of Survivors attempting to blind you by any means are revealed to you for 6/8/10 seconds.
    • Grants immunity from being blinded by Flashlights, Firecrackers, Flash Grenades, and Blast Mine.
  19. Nemesis – The Oni Perk
    You seek retribution on those who have wronged you.
    • Any Survivor who blinds you or stuns you using a Pallet or a Locker becomes the Obsession.
    • Anytime your Obsession switches to another Survivor by any means, that Survivor then suffers from the Oblivious Status Effect for 40/50/60 seconds and their Aura is revealed to you for 4 seconds.
  20. Nowhere to Hide – The Knight Perk
    The machinations of the weak and craven draw your ire.
    Your anger forces Survivors to reveal themselves.
    Performing the Damage Generator Action on a Generator triggers Nowhere to Hide:
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 24 meters of your location are revealed to you for 3/4/5 seconds.
  21. Rancor – The Spirit Perk
    Each time a Generator is completed, the following effects apply:
    • Reveals your Aura to the Obsession for 5/4/3 seconds.
    • All Survivors' locations are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
    Once the Exit Gates are powered, the following effects apply:
    • You are granted the ability to kill the Obsession by your own hand.
    • The Obsession suffers from a permanent Exposed Status Effect.
  22. Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage – The Onryō Perk
    You form a psychic connection with The Entity and alter the rules of the Trial.
    At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks:
    • The Auras of Scourge Hooks are revealed to you in white.
    Each time a Survivor is unhooked from a Scourge Hook, the following effects apply:
    • The Auras of all other Survivors are revealed for 5/6/7 seconds.
  23. Scourge Hook: Hangman’s Trick – The Pig Perk
    Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability and your ingenious modifications to Hooks alert you of tampering.
    At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks:
    • The Auras of Scourge Hooks are revealed to you in white.
    • Receive a Loud Noise Notification, whenever a Survivor starts sabotaging a Hook
    • While carrying a Survivor, the Auras of all Survivors within 8/10/12 meters of a Scourge Hook are revealed to you.
  24. Shattered Hope – All Killers Perks
    To capture your prey, you must first extinguish their hope.
    • Instead of snuffing Boon Totems you destroy them.
    • Destroying a Boon Totem this way reveals the Auras of all Survivors that were within its range at that moment for 6/7/8 seconds.
  25. THWACK! – Skull Merchant Perk
    Your prey is terrified by your relentless pursuit.
    After hooking a Survivor, THWACK! activates:
    • The next time you break a Breakable Wall or a Pallet, all Survivors within 28/30/32 meters of your location scream and reveal their Aura for 4 seconds.
  26. Territorial Imperative – The Huntress Perk
    Whenever you are farther than 24 meters from the Basement while a Survivor enters it, Territorial Imperative activates:
    • The Aura of that Survivor is revealed to you for 4/5/6 seconds.
    Territorial Imperative has a cool-down of 45 seconds.
  27. Weave Attunement – The Lich Perk
    You are so attuned to magical energies that you can sense even minor ripples around enchantments.
    Whenever an Item is depleted for the first time, it is automatically dropped:
    • The Auras of dropped Survivor Items are revealed to you, as well as the Auras of any Survivors within 12 meters of them.
    • Causes Survivors picking up a Survivor Item to suffer from the Oblivious Status Effect for 20/25/30 seconds.

Killer Powers + Add-Ons that show Survivor Aura
Power: The Afterpiece Tonic – The Clown

1. Add-On: Cigar Box
    A grim and incomplete collection of fingers. Fills The Clown with longing and focuses his chemical crafting abilities.
    • The Auras of all other Players within 16 meters of their location are revealed to Invigorated Players for 6 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Tattoo’s Middle Finger
    The prized middle finger of a large tattooed man.
    Has a faint taste of machinery oil.
    • The Auras of Survivors afflicted by either Intoxication or Invigoration are revealed to you for 6 seconds.

Power: Bear Trap – The Trapper

1. Add-On: Oily Coil
    A clear oil that makes handling the Bear Trap's spring more hazardous.
    • Resetting a Bear Trap reveals the Aura of the last Survivor to have disarmed it for 5 seconds.

Power: Birds of Torment – The Artist

1. Add-On: Velvet Fabric
    A striking red fabric Carmina used on an art project.
    Its brightness contrasted against black feathers.
    • The Auras of Swarms continue to be revealed to you for another 1.5 seconds after Survivors start repelling them.
  2. Add-On: Matias’ Baby Shoes
    A grieving reminder to Carmina that Matias would be with her, always watching.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 5 meters of idle Dire Crows are revealed to you for 3 seconds.

Power: Blackened Catalyst – The Hag

1. Add-On: Pussy Willow Catskins
    A handful of small, pristine flower clusters covered in a fine greyish fur.
    • The Auras of Survivors tripping Phantasm Traps are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Willow Wreath
    Three frail willow branches attached to form a triangular wreath.
    • The Auras of Survivors tripping Phantasm Traps are revealed to you for 5 seconds.

Power: Blighted Corruption – The Blight

1. Add-On: Compound Twenty-One
    A serum that's fatal to humans.
    It evokes beneficial qualities in those who are... something more.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 8 meters of a Slam are revealed to you for 3.5 seconds.

Power: Blood Bond – The Twins

1. Add-On: Victor’s Soldier
    • A toy soldier Victor clung to when scared. Something about it evoked jealousy in Charlotte.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 6 seconds after crushing Victor when controlling Charlotte.

Power: Bubba’s Chainsaw – The Cannibal

1. Add-On: Light Chassis
    A light and durable Chainsaw chassis with a shorter guide bar.
    Makes the Chainsaw easier to handle.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 8 meters are revealed to you while revving Bubba's Chainsaw.

Power: Carter’s Spark – The Doctor

1. Add-On: “Restraint” – Class II
    This procedure is known to cause mild cases of hallucination in the patient.
    • The Auras of Survivors who have their Madness increased by one Tier are revealed to you for 1 second.
    Survivors affected by Madness suffer from the Affliction of Restraint:
    • Increases the duration of Illusionary Doctors by +6 seconds.
    You share into your patients' Madness and can see the Illusionary Doctors.
  2. Add-On: “Restraint” – Class III
    This procedure is known to cause serious cases of hallucinations in the patient.
    • The Auras of Survivors who have their Madness increased by one Tier are revealed to you for 2 seconds.
  3. Add-On: “Restraint” – Carter’s Note
    This procedure is known to cause severe cases of hallucinations in the patient.
    • The Auras of Survivors who have their Madness increased by one Tier are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
  4. Add-On: Iridescent King (NOT ENTIRELY SURE ON THIS ONE, NEED CONFIRMATION FROM DOCTOR MAINS)
    Survivors affected by Madness suffer simultaneously from the Afflictions of Calm, Discipline, Order, and Restraint:
    • Survivors intermittently hear a distant Illusionary Terror Radius.
    • During a Chase, Survivors perceive an Illusionary Red Stain and Terror Radius, as if you were constantly right behind them.
    • Madness II: This effect lingers for 6 seconds after the Chase ends.
    • Madness III: This effect is constant, regardless of whether the Survivors are being chased or not.
    • Broken Pallets are randomly replaced by dropped or upright Illusionary Pallets, which persist until approached by Survivors.
    • New Illusionary Pallets are generated every 20 seconds.
    You share into your patients' Madness and can see the Illusionary Doctors, Red Stain, and Pallets.

Power: Chainsaw – The Hillbilly

1. NO ADD-ONS THAT PROVIDE AURA READING

Power: Deluge of Fear - The Onryō

1. Add-On: Distorted Photo
    Those who have watched the tape find all photos of themselves distorted, a reminder of their impending doom.
    • Causes all Survivors within 16 meters of your location who witness your Manifestation to scream and reveal their Auras for 4 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Tape Editing Deck
    All Survivors must bring their VHS Tape to the TV that is farthest from their current location.
    • The Auras of Survivors inserting a VHS Tape into a TV are revealed to you for 6 seconds.
  3. Add-On: Remote Control
    A remote for the VCR at the cabin.
    It allows Sadako to focus on those enemies at a distance.
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 12 meters of powered TVs are revealed to you for 7 seconds after using Projection.

Power: Dream Demon – The Nightmare

1. Add-On: Green Dress
    A little girl's green dress with a silky white ribbon.
    Survivors inside the Dream World suffer from the following effects:
    • The Auras of Survivors failing Repairing or Healing Skill Checks
    • are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
    • Increases the Penalty for failing those Skill Checks by -4 %.
  2. Add-On: Prototype Claws
    A home-made tool to facilitate bush trimming.
    • Switches the type of Dream Traps used in the Trial:
    • Start the Trial with 7 Dream Pallets.
    • The Auras of Survivors interacting with Dream Pallets are revealed to you for 4 seconds.
  3. Add-On: Blue Dress
    • A little girl's pale blue dress with white lace which's front is ruined by large cuts.
    • Survivors inside the Dream World suffer from the following effects:
    • The Auras of Survivors failing Repairing or Healing Skill Checks are revealed to you for 4 seconds.
    • Increases the Penalty for failing those Skill Checks by -4 %.
  4. Add-On: Paint Thinner
    A tin of a highly volatile and inflammable material.
    • Switches the type of Dream Traps used in the Trial:
    • Start the Trial with 7 Dream Pallets.
    • The Auras of Survivors interacting with Dream Pallets are revealed to you for 6 seconds.

Power: Evil Within – The Shape

1. Add-On: Glass Fragment
    A tiny piece of tinted glass, probably from a broken object. It is impossible to determine its origin.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 3 seconds after stalking them for at least 1 second while in Evil Within I.
  2. Add-On: Reflective Fragment
    A tiny piece of a highly reflective material, most probably from a broken mirror.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 2 seconds after stalking them for at least 1 second while in Evil Within II.
  3. Add-On: Mirror Shard
    A large and sharp piece of a broken mirror.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 5 seconds after stalking them for at least 1 second while in Evil Within II.
  4. Add-On: Scratched Mirror
    • A standing portable vanity mirror which has been violently scratched with a sharp metallic object.
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 32 meters of your location are revealed to you while Stalking.
    • Evil Within can no longer progress past Tier I.
    • Grants +200 % bonus Bloodpoints in the Deviousness Category for Hit Score Events on top of the regular Bloodpoints granted in the Brutality Category.
  5. Add-On: Vanity Mirror
    A standing portable vanity mirror in perfect condition except for a fine layer of dust and face powder covering it.
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 16 meters of your location are revealed to you while Stalking.
    • Evil Within can no longer progress past Tier II.
    • Grants +150 % bonus Bloodpoints in the Deviousness Category for Hit Score Events on top of the regular Bloodpoints granted in the Brutality Category.

Power: Eyes in the Sky – The Skull Merchant

1. Add-On: Infrared Upgrade
    • The Auras of Claw-Trapped Survivors are revealed to you for 4 seconds after they remove their Claw-Trap.
  2. Add-On: Advanced Movement Prediction
    Even after they leave the zone of influence, a refined AI program predicts with high accuracy where a person will go next.
    • The Auras of newly Claw-Trapped Survivors are revealed to you for 6 seconds.

Power: Feral Frenzy – The Legion

1. Add-On: Stylish Sunglasses
    Oval-shaped sunglasses that exude poise and cool.
    Their color-tinted lenses add an understated appeal.
    • The Auras of Survivors mending themselves within 24 meters of your location are revealed to you.
  2. Add-On: Stab Wounds Study
    A printed medical article stolen from Ormond's public library, vulgarizing a study on lesions and stab wounds.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 4 seconds after they mend themselves.
    Power: Guardia Compagnia – The Knight
  3. Add-On: Flint and Steel
    Attacks at night were not uncommon. Fear was often their greatest ally.
    Summoning The Carnifex has the following effect:
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 24 meters of unbroken Pallets are revealed to you for 8 seconds.
  4. Add-On: Healing Poultice
    Their reputation was so large, so horrible, that the mere knowledge that they were coming was enough to bring people to their knees.
    Summoning The Assassin has the following effect:
    • The Auras of all Survivors within 8 meters of his Spawn location are revealed to you for 8 seconds.
  5. Add-On: Jailer’s Chimes
    Many captives met the same grisly end for attempting to escape his clutches.
    • The Auras of Survivors crossing the Patrol Path of The Jailer are revealed to you for 8 seconds.

Power: Hidden Pursuit – The Xenomorph

1. Add-On: Improvised Cattle Prod
    A brutal and noisy weapon, which might have been more effective against a cow.
    Each time a Generator is completed, the following effect applies for 15 seconds:
    • The Auras of Survivors coming within 10 meters of a Control Station are revealed to you for 15 seconds.
    Power: Hunting Hatches – The Huntress
  2. Add-On: Glowing Concoction
    An otherworldly concoction that faintly glows a foreboding light.
    • Survivors hit by Hatchets have their Aura revealed to you for 5 seconds.

Power: Jigsaw’s Baptism – The Pig

1. Add-On: Amanda’s Secret
    A black metal box containing a knife and various medical supplies, such as bandages and compresses.
    Deep cuts reduce stress and awaken the senses.
    • Survivors removing their Reverse Bear Trap trigger a Loud Noise Notification and have their Auras revealed to you for 6 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Amanda’s Letter
    A blackmailing letter for the attention of Amanda. Fills the reader with rage and focus.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 16 meters are revealed to you when Crouched.
    • Reduces the number of carried Reverse Bear Traps by -2.

Power: Night Shroud – The Ghost Face

1. Add-On: Olsen’s Address Book
    Filled in blunt, blue crabbed writing.
    All the Roseville murder victims are listed there, along with their phone number and address.
    • The Auras of Marked Survivors performing rushed actions are revealed to you for 5 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Outdoor Security Camera
    A small surveillance camera that filmed The Ghost Face breaking into a house on Belleview Road in Northern Roseville.
    The camera was positioned at the perfect angle to catch a glimpse of The Ghost Face without providing any real clue to the police.
    • The Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you for 7 seconds after putting a Marked Survivor into the Dying State.

Power: Of The Abyss – The Demogorgon

1. Add-On: Leprose Lichen
    A potent lichen that grows like dust on the rocks in the Upside Down.
    • The Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you while traversing the Upside Down.
    • This effect lingers for 3 seconds for all Survivors within 16 meters of an active Portal.

Power: Playtime’s Over – The Good Guy

1. Add-on: Rat Poison
    The secret ingredient in a killer chili.
    • While performing a Slice & Dice Attack, the Auras of all Survivors within 12 meters of you are revealed to you for 5 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Yardstick
    Good for measuring distance. Even better for laying down a beating.
    • Performing a Scamper reveals the Auras of all Survivors within 16 meters of you for 3 seconds.

Power: Quantum Instantiation – The Singularity

1. Add-On: Crew Manifest
    A complete list of biographical data on the entire crew of the ship sent to Dvarka.
    • The Auras of newly Slipstreamed Survivors are revealed to you for 8 seconds.
    • Increases the Spreading distance of Temporal Slipstream between Survivors by +2 meters.
  2. Add-On: Diagnostic Tool (Construction)
    A device that gives highly accurate information on the lay of the land.
    • The Auras of Survivors picking up an EMP are revealed to you for 8 seconds.
  3. Add-On: Iridescent Crystal Shard
    A crystal from the alien structure that gave it sentience.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 10 meters of a newly placed Biopod are revealed to you for 6 seconds.

Power: The Redeemer – The Deathslinger

Power: Reign of Darkness – The Dredge
  2. Add-On: Worry Stone
    While the Ottomarians were told to think only positive thoughts, some kept these stones in their pockets to rub when negative thoughts arose.
    • The Auras of Survivors locking a Locker are revealed to you for 6 seconds.
  3. Add-on: Lavalier Microphone
    She kept a lavalier mic nearby, allowing her to record her innermost feelings when under great stress.
    • The Auras of all Survivors are revealed to you for 3 seconds after consuming the last Power Token.
    • Causes all Lockers within 6 meters of Survivors to open and slam their doors when entering them through teleportation.

Power: Rites of Judgement – The Executioner

1. Add-On: Iridescent Seal of Metatron
    A talisman with an odd design inscribed on it.
    The Entity's influence seems to have altered it.
    • The Auras of all other Survivors suffering from Torment are revealed to you for 6 seconds after sending a Survivor to a Cage of Atonement.

Power: Showstopper – The Trickster

1. Add-on: Diamond Cufflinks
    Cufflinks gouged into the eyes of a sassing fan who made the mistake of stalking Ji-Woon.
    Rubbing off the blood, there is so much to be seen in the glitter.
    • The Auras of Survivors one hit away from maximum Laceration are revealed to you for 6 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Death Throes Compilation
    A collection of the final sounds from Ji-Woon's victims, adapted to a vinyl record. Terrifying and emotionally raw.
    • The Auras of Survivors hit during Main Event are revealed to you for 6 seconds.

Power: Spencer’s Last Breath – The Nurse

1. Add-on: Bad Man Keepsake
    A rotten molar ripped from the "Cataontic Boy's" cold dead hand.
    Normally stable and calm, it becomes incredibly agitated at The Nurse's touch.
    • Survivors hit with a Special Attack have their Auras revealed to you if they are healing or being healed within 28 meters of your location for 60 seconds.

Power: Summons of Pain – The Cenobite

1. Add-On: Greasy Black Lens
    A lens from the sunglasses of an obese Cenobite whose fleshy rolls droop down his face and neck.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to for 6 seconds after hitting them with a Possessed Chain Attack.
    Power: T-Virus – The Nemesis
  2. Add-On: Jill’s Sandwich
    It is tragically squished and dripping with blood from a recent battle.
    Despite that, it has a delicious aroma that cannot be missed.
    • The Auras of Survivors unlocking a Supply Case are revealed to you for 12 seconds after they succeed

Power: UVX – The Unknown

Power: Vile Darkness – The Lich

1. Add-On: Lantern of Revealing
    Even those who evade your attacks cannot evade your gaze.
    • The Auras of Survivors narrowly missed by Flying Entities summoned by the Flight of the Damned Spell are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Robe of Eyes
    When worn, none can escape its bearer's unyielding gaze.
    • The Auras of Survivors within 8 meters of a Treasure Chest are revealed to you for 3 seconds after casting a Spell.

Power: Vile Purge – The Plague

1. Add-On: Olibanum Incense
    Precious resin extracted from Boswellia trees, used during ceremonies for their sweet citrusy fragrance.
    • The Auras of Survivors cleansing at a Pool of Devotion are revealed to you for 4 seconds.
  2. Add-On: Black Incense
    A dark paste made of sharp osseous shavings.
    The inhaling of its foul fumes sharpens the mind's eye.
    • The Auras of vomitting Infected Survivors are revealed to you for 3 seconds.

Power: Virulent Bound – The Mastermind

1. Add-On: Helicopter Stick
    Debris from a helicopter crash.
    Few jobs are more dangerous than a helicopter pilot's when Wesker is involved.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 8 seconds after using a First Aid Spray
  2. Add-On: Uroboros Virus
    For some, the strength and resistance was worth the trade-off.
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you for 4 seconds when they reach Critical Infection.

Power: Wailing Bell – The Wraith

1. Add-On: “All-Seeing” – Blood
    The Kra-Frabai symbol, representing the Entity watching over us, is stamped in blood on the head of the Bell.
    Unlocks hidden potential in your Aura-reading ability:
    • The Auras of Survivors are revealed to you within 8 meters of your location when Cloaked.

Power: Yamaoka’s Haunting – The Spirit

Power: Yamaoka’s Wrath – The Oni

1. Add-On: Renjiro’s Bloody Glove
    The glove Renjiro held to his sternum following the strike dealt by his son Kazan.
    • The Auras of Survivors coming into contact with a Blood Orb are revealed to you for 2 seconds.
    • This effect stacks per Blood Orb.
    • Causes Blood Orbs to be visible to Survivors and to be absorbed when they come into contact with them.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• moputopia
    moputopia Member Posts: 136

Great post, and thanks for compiling all the aura reading effects!

I definitely agree that at this point there are overwhelmingly many ways to read the other side's aura. I also think the problem is that some of the newer perks and add-ons have very little requirements.

Part of the reason for Distortion's popularity is definitely the fact it got buffed, but I also think there was much less want or need for a perk like that when the most common Killer aura-reading perk was Barbecue, which was easy to expect and possible to outplay, and also not constantly available. Compare that to for example Nowhere to Hide or Rat Poison, which give you easy aura reading for Survivors near you with little cooldown. I feel like as a Survivor it feels bad to get outplayed by something like that.

The same feeling goes for Killer as well, I don't like having my position revealed constantly. I run Fearmonger/Mindbreaker on Trapper for example largely to avoid survivors potentially seeing me setting up.

A lot of aura reading was fine on the fast paced 2v8 mode, but I don't really want that in a regular game.

Current Distortion can definitely be annoying for a Killer running maybe a singular aura reveal perk, and I've felt that. But it does feel like a necessary evil almost against some of the stronger aura perks on good Killers. If the devs do want Distortion nerfed or changed due to how strong it can be in some situations, I really wish they would take a look at some aura reading perks as well.

Side note, I'm not sure if Distortion works against Rancor? Technically only the static location of the survivor is revealed, not the aura, but it might block that as well.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183

I don't really think it matters all too much how many Aura reading perks are in the game, since you can only take 4 Perks and 2 Addons at once. Like yeah, there's a lot of options, but that doesn't change how many aura perks you'll see in one game, so I don't really get that argument.

Distortion being able to counter such a huge amount of things basically unconditionally is a problem, though. There is practically no way you're running out of tokens unless the killer is Undetectable for a LONG time like Mirror Myers.

They need to make it so it's remotely possible to run out of Tokens at some point in the game instead of just "you never see my aura ever".

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 991

Distortion harms build variety for 32m killers without stealth. There is no single perk that will deplete tokens faster than distortion gains them. No, not even gearhead.

Typically I love reading long posts like this but that's just..... Too much. I'm sorry.