Is Dark Sense Useless?

Options
I personally love the perk. Complete a gen, see the Killer. But a lot of people seem to knock it. I'm not saying Dark Sense is a top tier perk, but it might as well be Slippery Meat with how some people treat it. Why no love?

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Options
    Cause you have to complete a gen
    You
    Yourself. (Or just tap it into completion)
    You have a potential of 6 aura readings.
    But in my case i would get like 2,3
  • Steamtastic_Vagabond
    Options
    I always run dark sense. It tells me if I’m safe after completing a generator and also if I haven’t figured out who the killer is, the aura is going to be a very good clue. It can also tell you if the killer is afk and just swinging. It’s an awesome perk that no one ever seems to use.
  • Broosmeister
    Broosmeister Member Posts: 281
    Options
    It's not a better perk than Spinechill or Alert.
    You just know the location of the killer once you've completed a gen, big whoop. If you did that gen anyways it was probably because the killer was chasing someone else. It's very easy to figure out who the killer is so i really don't see the point of bringing Dark Sense instead of any other important perk, it would be a waste of a perk slot.

But that's just my opinion of course, if you get help out of using Dark Sense then by all means, keep using it ^-^
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

IMO all the killer detection perks are useless once you get to a point where you understand the game and can think like a killer. This, of course, requires you to play a lot of killer. The only times where I would use a detection perk would be Spine Chill against Wraith/Freddy/Pig with Amanda's Letter/Myers/Spirit with Prayer Beads on Lery's or Game just because it's harder to track/predict the killer's movements. But even then not worth using over other perks that offer more tangible effects like Iron Will.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

@Broosmeister said:

Of all the detection perks Spine Chill is definitely the best. No cooldown, increased speed bonus (which works on vaults too), range is the same as most killer's heartbeat, and gives you an idea on what the killer's focus is. Procs while on a gen? Killer is coming to that gen. Procs during a heal? Killer has Nurse's. Procs when you are definitely well hidden? Killer probably has some aura reading add-on. Procs against Myers? You are getting stalked. Procs during a chase through a jungle gym? Killer is going in that direction so turn around. As killer it's very hard to counter mostly because it's very hard to tell someone has it.

• Broosmeister
    Broosmeister Member Posts: 281
    Options

@Broosmeister said:

Of all the detection perks Spine Chill is definitely the best. No cooldown, increased speed bonus (which works on vaults too), range is the same as most killer's heartbeat, and gives you an idea on what the killer's focus is. Procs while on a gen? Killer is coming to that gen. Procs during a heal? Killer has Nurse's. Procs when you are definitely well hidden? Killer probably has some aura reading add-on. Procs against Myers? You are getting stalked. Procs during a chase through a jungle gym? Killer is going in that direction so turn around. As killer it's very hard to counter mostly because it's very hard to tell someone has it.

It works on vaults too? Damn that's good to know. Yeah i love Spine Chill, it always comes in handy, especially vs the pig. And while working on the last gen you can leave the gen when the killer comes before he gets there, that way the killer has to waste time searching for you and other survivors can do other gens. This way you create an abnormal amount of pressure on the gens. 
  • Beverly
    Beverly Member Posts: 184
    Options

I don't think it's entirely useless. I experimented with it while leveling Jake, and it did give some useful info that helped me navigate the map while staying safe. I think it's purpose is to help newer players counter a killer who checks generators after they finish, and gives them time to hide. It was made purposefully to be low tier though, so it's obviously not going to be the difference between life and death.

• ClementineS4
    ClementineS4 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    You just know the location of the killer once you've completed a gen, big whoop. If you did that gen anyways it was probably because the killer was chasing someone else. It's very easy to figure out who the killer is so i really don't see the point of bringing Dark Sense instead of any other important perk, it would be a waste of a perk slot.

But that's just my opinion of course, if you get help out of using Dark Sense then by all means, keep using it ^-^
    Umm maybe because if the killer is coming towards you, you can get away without being seen based on what direction he’s coming from and what direction he’s looking to
  • Kurisataru
    Kurisataru Member Posts: 460
    Options

I think with all killer reading Perks they can be unintentionally countered by the killer maybe except for object of obsession. I like alert because I can probably guess if the killer is in a chase or looking for someone depending on what kind of motion he makes after breaking the palette. And that's as reliable as seeing someone get injured. I dont think any killer reading auras are great for genrushing unless you know where the undone gens are, they're just good for being stealthy imo.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

I like it.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dark Sense isn't so much useless as it is less useful than other perks.

Seeing that it was buffed at the same time as Deja Vu I expected Dark Sense to reveal the killer whenever any generator completed. Ever since I learned that it was locked to showing aura only after you did gens I honestly forgot about it. It does have limited use, but it's just overshadowed by stronger perks.
    Post edited by Peasant on
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

Too few opportunities to make it worth. On the off chance you're actually on all generators when they're finished, it's still only four times (I think you always see killer's aura when the final gen is done, regardless whether done by you or someone else - not sure though).

The new Alert is way more useful: you see the killer every time he/she kicks a gen or a pallet, so you get notifications much more frequently.

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    Options
    Works well with my UE, Spine Chill, BL, and Sense build :P
  • nancyt1428
    nancyt1428 Member Posts: 66
    Options

I run dark sense and alert so I always have a pretty good idea of where the killer is and who the killer is before its too late.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

The aura reading/killer detection survivor perks aren't really that necessary once you gain experience.

After reaching a certain skill cap with survivor, you can run pretty much use whatever you want. Most survivors will pick something other than detection perks.

• Lateral
    Lateral Member Posts: 77
    Options

Shh don't tell them about Dark Sense, they'll /cry and it'll get nerfed.

• KateMain
    KateMain Member Posts: 2
    Options

Dark sense is just underrated that's all. I have the perk equipped and especially when the last generator is fixed it's quite useful knowing where the killer is so i can go to the door that is more far away