The downward spiral of DBD

I don't think some people quite understand that a ton of people adopting the meanest, nastiest attitudes in a fandom are the cancer that eats a fandom up. It takes something that should be enjoyable and fun, and turns it into a toxic energy drain that people walk away from. And know some of you are already going "Well, play something else, a hole!" But let me put it to you this way, not only does toxicity drive current players away, it also keeps newer players from wanting to play as well. Eventually, what you end up with is brutal, miserable gameplay and a lot more players remaining who do things like dc, either because the game has become virtually unplayable or because they no longer care, are toxic themselves, etc.

Dead By Daylight does not HAVE to be a game that makes a person feel miserable playing, with nasty, frustrating matches that build up one after another until somebody quits, it's been made to be that way. Some issues are simply outside of one player's ability to control. And until that's understood and dealt with, nothing is ever going to change.

Comments

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,136

Toxicity is a product of the game loop of the game. You are constantly needing to focus and having an opposing force that you sometimes are powerless to. No one likes losing and this game is pretty bad with that.

I will say a big issue for new players is learning to loop or to play killer effectively. I've seen multiple times friends trying it out getting very disheartened because of how difficult it is to learn killers/maps/looping. Not to mention the price tag as i would say you almost need some of the dlc perks to play more efficient. It's just a big time commitment to learn things if you haven't been playing so it will deter a lot of people.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 303

And know some of you are already going "Well, play something else, a hole!" 

The funniest thing is, that if people do follow the advice and play something else, DbD will lose the major part of its player base, which is a death sentence for any game.

• SpicySliceOfApplePie
    SpicySliceOfApplePie Member Posts: 25
    edited September 23

Recently reached Iri ranks and I can confirm at least 50% and probably more of my matches are filled with at least a 2 man constantly head on stun spamming or flash light saving anybody I try to chase/hook (no I can’t always face a wall, sometimes people go down where there aren’t any walls and I can’t avoid that, and flashlights are weird s heck because I’ve had multiple times where I’ve not even seen the beam of light yet got blinded anyway) and out of those games 45% are just denying me any pressure and the other 5% are the super altruistic ones where they follow me around all game then get downed like 2 seconds into chase or rinse every pallet in the first 3 minutes leaving their entire team defenseless. The amount of games I’ve had where end game was nothing but survivors running from broken pallet to broken pallet and having nothing to loop because they dropped everything immediately rather than looping is laughable.

At higher ranks (Gold+) I’ve gotten to the point where I can’t even do more than one rank per day or ill just get burnt out

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

You know that this rank (gold, iridescent) have absolutely zero impact on your matchmaking? Its a hidden mmr system and it varies from killer to killer. (Well all killer influence each other a bit)

So on a killer i have a lot of hours in, i get strong survivor even on ash rank and if i use some killer i dont play on iridescent i win even when i suck with the killer power.

• A_T_E
    A_T_E Member Posts: 109

Short version: experience and time investment in getting perks will give you an advantage over new players, and it should stay that way.

For OP: I agree, we must each indiviually strive to decrease toxicity, by not letting some toxic players get the better of us and instead take a deep breath before we continue on to another game round.

The idea that the game is tough on new players shouldn't really be a factor to consider. Any game is hard, when you are just straight, especially when it's as competitive as DBD is.
    I remember first starting DBD and it was tough, 'cause I had the most basic of perks, -just like everybody else-, but eventually I learned the mechanics, learned what perks are good for what, and got new killers to prestige to expand my perk choice. It takes time. Point me to any game that doesn't have a starting period where older players have an advantage, exactly because they are older and more experienced players. The game would suffer, if new players could come in and immediately do as good as older players, it would imply a complete lack of need for skill to excel.

To address OP's post, there is wisdom in not responding to abuse and toxicity, with more abuse and toxicity. Much like IRL, we should divorce each negative event and experience in the daily life, from affecting our response to other experiences. Stop the cycle; do not be toxic in kind.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 128

I stopped playing ghostface for this reason. I kept seeing people hate on stealth killers cause “it ruins the chase game”. When that’s the point, ghostface was a new thing and you had to keep a look out for him. But no matter how much I tried people never gave in and called him a boring killer.

• ControllerFeedback
    ControllerFeedback Member Posts: 80
    edited September 23

I feel that the catalyst for the issues we see in the game & wider community today was BHVR losing many of its old employees and doubling down on becoming more artificially connected to the public as time went on. I think it's telling that pretty much all player to dev communication on the forums these days is handled solely by CMs. The vibe I get from BHVR these days is "constrictive".

Post edited by ControllerFeedback on
  • Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 451
    edited September 23

The game is going upwards but some players forcing it down 😌