Survivors: your hooks stages are a resource. Spend them for your team.

drsoontm
drsoontm Member Posts: 4,619

During a recent match, a survivor has spent his time hiding from the killer.

When his 3 teammates where dead, he got the hatch.

Then, like the fool he was, he gloated about it in the the chat.

A true facepalm moment.

I wonder if, one day, he'll understand that if instead of hiding he'd took a few chases, then maybe the killer wouldn't have won.

Maybe one or two more could have escaped instead.

I wonder how many survivors don't realize hook stages are a resource to spend to ensure the survival of your team.

Comments

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,854

The thing is, unless you are experienced you will never understand the importance of taking a hook state to force the killer to have to share hook states and I still see the same thing every so often - a survivor who brags they didn't get hooked at all so they are somehow superior because they got hatch.

Its frustrating but its something I realised with some stoicism, that we will never fix as there is a constant influx of new players

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 852
    edited September 28

I won‘t through me into the killer for other survivors anymore. Either they leave me on hook and leave through the gates or they die immediately anyway after I took the hits and got downed.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 992

Same, one time a killer messaged me after a match to say I played well and they were sorry I got left on the hook but that ‘altruism is the killer’s fifth perk’. Since then I’ve been playing far less altruistically as it’s often not returned, and you can often tell when it won’t be- because people play stupidly and don’t have the skill to back it up.

If I know my team have got my back I will of course play to support them and take the risk, but I play solo Q often and I’m not gonna be fodder for a 3 man SWF who have played a certain way the entire match and then use me as an escape distraction - it’s not my fault the other two/three decided to throw themselves in front of the killer constantly, often engaging in chases they cant sustain, often unhooking right in front of the killer and often getting downed wasting my time because I then have to constantly come off gens to unhook and heal too often.

I’ve played plenty of matches like this where I spend my time unhooking and healing and doing many of the gens on the map only to be left behind. Hook states may be a resource but how I choose to spend that resource is reflective of my team.

• Prometheus1092
    Prometheus1092 Member Posts: 253

Another reason why I slug the 3rd survivor, find the last one, hook em then go back and hook the 3rd guy. If I don't find the last one I time before other guy bleeds out I pick em up and let em go so I can look longer. Survivors that do nothing all match, don't contribute to the team and expect the hatch escape don't deserve the escape imo

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 349

I had a match yesterday like that. I tried my best the whole game against a Ghostface in chaos shuffle. I took aggro, did 2 gens on my own, got unhooks, and healed. I took chases but he would leave me for someone else after awhile. In the end everyone was on dead hook and I hadn’t been hooked once, and when ghostie downed 1 of the team in the exit gate, I took both hits forcing the ghostie to drop them. He carried me to hook. But then all 3 just left me. The ghostie even looked at me at the hook and then hit me as if to say that sucks bro. 2 of the people were p100s too. I ended up scoring more bp than all of them even though I was the only one who died.

Unfortunately making the right decisions and playing well in survivor doesn’t mean you get to survive. Survivor is not an easy role. It suffers from collective punishment. I know people say that the better player should win, but in survivor that’s not always possible, and often times your fate is entirely out of your hands no matter how much skill or effort you put into the game. It’s a shame I’m still so addicted to it lol

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,234

It's a bit of a catch-22. An experienced player is less likely to be out of position, and thus less likely to be an easy target. Survivors who are going down instantly are probably going to be repeatedly out of position. You can't really help that. Plus, there's no guarantee the other players will do anything useful with the time you buy them. What usually happens is they take an eternity to reset, make no gen progress, and then die instantly while I'm on the hook. You can't help other players who are struggling.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,338
    edited September 28

Unfortunately many players in the community subscribe to and try to prescribe the "One-size fits all" philosophy which fails to address the subtle nuances in DBD's gameplay. The real fact of the matter is, and we see it here in these posts, that decisions during gameplay aren't that black and white, it's more grey. There are no guarantees that a certain decision will always be the right decision to lead to a pre-determined outcome. Each game is just too dynamic.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

honestly I don’t bother with team saving anymore since I usually just get left behind to die etc people rarely play as a team anymore

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,509

Just yes - yes, and another yes.

• Gplays2000
    Gplays2000 Member Posts: 179

While I do agree with you the other survivors especially solo queue survivors do not owe you anything. They queue solo so they can play like lone wolves. How many times has it happened that you did exactly that and then died on first hook? It might have happened to them one too many time so now they are done playing for the team. They contribute and give it their all but they will not go out of their way to put themselves in an unfavourable position/situation simply because of your incompetence to stay alive.

• JohnnyRash247
    JohnnyRash247 Member Posts: 9

I was in a solo q match where I had been juicing the killer for a long time, I didnt take any hooks because the killer literally couldnt down me. My team mates were all on death hook, but the issue I was having was they wouldnt STOP HEALING, they healed more than worked on Gens. Some even used Self Heal without any additional perks, In the end we lost cuz we got to 2 gens and people were just healing over and over again. So my question is , in this situation with everyone on death hook and damn near all pallets gone should I take a hook?

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

problem with hook sharing is it requires trust.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180

It's certainly important to protect someone who is on last hook if you have hooks to spare. I've done that many times with varying degrees of success, but Survivor numbers matter, and an early sacrifice does not bode well for the rest of the game (not impossible, but undoubtably a slog).

Each trial throws different challenges and - in SoloQ - team players. Some will have selfless players, who will always go for the epic saves and try to get as many out. Others will involve players who quit early on, or even set up to make other Survivors fail. Because of this lack of predictability, the decision to protect others works on a trial-by-trial basis. Hook can be a resource sometimes, but they can also be a waste.

Ultimately - as I stick by - Dwight has the quote I feel fits my playstyle: "We have to work as a team! I need you to survive so that I can survive!". Basically, it's in the interest to keep people alive so that I can live, but sacrificing myself (unless - again - that trial is such that I want to do it) is purely based on what is happening.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,893
    edited September 29

The particulars vary by match, but the rule of thumb is that the more of your teammates remain alive for longer, the better the odds are that you stay alive. It's why some killers tunnel - it's the easiest way to doom the whole surv team.

Now I don't advocate mindlessly throwing yourself into the jaws of the killer if it makes no sense, but it is often the case that giving up one of your hook stages will increase your overall odds of survival. It's true in SWF and it's true in solo.

Not all hook sharing is altruism, most often it's just being pragmatic. But if you're not going to pull some aggro, be doing something.

Slinking through the hatch with all of your hook states and the least points is not a reflection of skill, and should not be considered a "win" in any shape or form.

• DeBecker
    DeBecker Member Posts: 116

Most players dont know the basics of this game.

• satx3241
    satx3241 Member Posts: 102

As a survivor main I can assure you the majority of survivors either do not care about playing intelligently or completely lack the ability to do so. There's a higher likelihood of the same person winning the lottery and being struck by lightning in the same day than there is of the majority of survivors playing this game wisely.