The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Been playing a few weeks; absolutetly toxic community. I need a "fun" mode in addition to "ranked".

As mentioned in the title, I've been playing a few weeks. Pushed the game to a few of my friends. LOVE the core concept. However, as I climbed the ranking scale, the survivors became more and more toxic. In addition to glitching, body blocking, third-party software, looping and disconnecting, the players are nasty in their communication. There have been numerous instances of (close to) bullying in the post-game chat. I desperately need an option where I (a) can play in non-ranked games - just for fun - without the current matching system in place (it doesn't work anyway as teams always seem to have a low-ranked friend in their party and my rank climbs too fast). Or (b) an option to not play against/with teams. Additionally, are there any countermeasures from the developers' side? What happens with the reports etc.?

Comments

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

I think an unranked mode wouldn't be the solution, because in that supposed mode the people of all ranks would be mixed and the low rank players would feel outplayed all the time (as happen in CS:GO cough...).
    I think a possible solution would be increasing the difficult to increase the rank and season reset every two months, not only one. As everybody knows, the higher the rank more toxic the people is, generally. Maybe the classic toxic trayhards would be playing without bothering the rest of the people if they were the only playing high ranks due the increased ranking difficulty.
    PS: bodyblocking is not toxic.

• Slay___
    Slay___ Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 898
    edited January 2019

You can close the chat window by clicking the two arrows next to the chat window.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    How do people still not realize that rank isnt ranked mode, and it doesnt make it uber cooperative. It's a pseudo rank to better match people NEAR their skill level. To keep potatoes from playing pros every game. It resets every month.

And how/why would a ranked mode exist? Considering how many people say this game cant be competetive, due to swf, or the splitting of playerbase, etc. 

There isnt a ranked mode. It's a "ranking" for mmr/Elo. Its why there are no rewards or real seasons. 
  • kamisen
    kamisen Member Posts: 794

@IamFran said:
    I think an unranked mode wouldn't be the solution, because in that supposed mode the people of all ranks would be mixed and the low rank players would feel outplayed all the time (as happen in CS:GO cough...).
    I think a possible solution would be increasing the difficult to increase the rank and season reset every two months, not only one. As everybody knows, the higher the rank more toxic the people is, generally. Maybe the classic toxic trayhards would be playing without bothering the rest of the people if they were the only playing high ranks due the increased ranking difficulty.

Possibly, yeah. It's a shame that a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I really hope that the developers look into this. I do not want to engage more friends in this game as is.

About body blocking: maybe it's just me. I'm open to changing my opinion. However, I tend to see body blocking in combination with other exploits.

• kamisen

@Carpemortum said:
    How do people still not realize that rank isnt ranked mode, and it doesnt make it uber cooperative. It's a pseudo rank to better match people NEAR their skill level. To keep potatoes from playing pros every game. It resets every month.

And how/why would a ranked mode exist? Considering how many people say this game cant be competetive, due to swf, or the splitting of playerbase, etc. 

There isnt a ranked mode. It's a "ranking" for mmr/Elo. Its why there are no rewards or real seasons. 

But that's just semantics. How does it invalidate my opinion? The ranks are still there, mode or not.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

@kamisen said:

@IamFran said:

Possibly, yeah. It's a shame that a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I really hope that the developers look into this. I do not want to engage more friends in this game as is.

About body blocking: maybe it's just me. I'm open to changing my opinion. However, I tend to see body blocking in combination with other exploits.

There are an achievement related to get hit by the killer near the hook for protecting another survivor, so bodyblocking is an intented tactic, not an exploit or something to be considered toxic. The killer can also bodyblock to corner someone. The only toxic and also not allowed action is kidnapping someone by bodyblocking him when playing as killer, for example in the basement.

• kamisen

@IamFran said:
    There are an achievement related to get hit by the killer near the hook for protecting another survivor, so bodyblocking is an intented tactic, not an exploit or something to be considered toxic. The killer can also bodyblock to corner someone. The only toxic and also not allowed action is kidnapping someone by bodyblocking him when playing as killer, for example in the basement.

I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know!

• scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 356

You can play Kill Your Friends with just your friends and avoid the toxic people altogether, or close game chat. Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do.

• DARKHARTED
    DARKHARTED Member Posts: 1
    kamisen said:

As mentioned in the title, I've been playing a few weeks. Pushed the game to a few of my friends. LOVE the core concept. However, as I climbed the ranking scale, the survivors became more and more toxic. In addition to glitching, body blocking, third-party software, looping and disconnecting, the players are nasty in their communication. There have been numerous instances of (close to) bullying in the post-game chat. I desperately need an option where I (a) can play in non-ranked games - just for fun - without the current matching system in place (it doesn't work anyway as teams always seem to have a low-ranked friend in their party and my rank climbs too fast). Or (b) an option to not play against/with teams. Additionally, are there any countermeasures from the developers' side? What happens with the reports etc.?" Oh wait it gets better on top of the toxicity you get dumbass game creators that say "I think we pretty job" that pay no attention to their gamers not to mention right now for me killers are at so much of an unfair advantage with perks that dont need buffed and are fine how there were. Also try playing survivor, now I'm not taking sides because I play both alot and see the problems with each and I'm sure everyone that plays this game can agree it is toxic as hell. But if camping and tunneling is a strategy so is body blocking. The stuff set in this game could be balanced but the game creators listen to all the wrong people. Along with that I think now on jan 22, 2019 that killers and survivors are at the most unbalanced point in history of this game. Right now where this game stands I would not suggest this game to anyone I know because it honestly a waist of money and I can ascertain this game will die on this path if it continues.

• cortown711
    cortown711 Member Posts: 21

I think a free for all mode with RESPAWN would be fun.let's face it that's the unfun part of this game.you wait 5-10-15 minutes to play for 1 minute.no fun.
    I've thought about a mode with more than 1 killer maybe 3 or 4? Competing for most kills/points? Maybe 8 survivors? Not sure about gens.maybe add more those too.

• kamisen

@DARKHARTED said:

Oh wait it gets better on top of the toxicity you get dumbass game creators that say "I think we pretty job" that pay no attention to their gamers not to mention right now for me killers are at so much of an unfair advantage with perks that dont need buffed and are fine how there were. Also try playing survivor, now I'm not taking sides because I play both alot and see the problems with each and I'm sure everyone that plays this game can agree it is toxic as hell. But if camping and tunneling is a strategy so is body blocking. The stuff set in this game could be balanced but the game creators listen to all the wrong people. Along with that I think now on jan 22, 2019 that killers and survivors are at the most unbalanced point in history of this game. Right now where this game stands I would not suggest this game to anyone I know because it honestly a waist of money and I can ascertain this game will die on this path if it continues.

Thanks for the reply! It really saddens me to hear that the devs doesn't see this as an issue.

About the balancing: I mix it up alot, and I too think some survivors/killers are more 'unbalanced' than others, but usually the win boils down to a mixture of luck, skill and play style. If you play against a killer who is specked towards your type of play - then yeah, you will probably have a hard time. I also agree that camping is really bad. However, if a see a looper/decoy trying to get my attention throughout the game, I know something is up in another area of the map. I will definitely tunnel the first (and sometimes second) survivor to disband the group. I don't see how this is an issue though. The looper often has DS and other skills befitting that 'job'. It would be stupid of me to fall for the trick. I am willing to change my mind though.

• kamisen

@cortown711 said:
    I think a free for all mode with RESPAWN would be fun.let's face it that's the unfun part of this game.you wait 5-10-15 minutes to play for 1 minute.no fun.
    I've thought about a mode with more than 1 killer maybe 3 or 4? Competing for most kills/points? Maybe 8 survivors? Not sure about gens.maybe add more those too.

Love that idea! What about the possibility to do rematches? Like a best out of three type of thing - with different maps obviously.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

Even the devs want to make new modes, but the Survivor playerbase is too afraid of a "split playerbase" and by this they mean they won't be able to find Killers willing to put up with their bullshit.

Of course this game's population could easily handle another game mode, but the propaganda continues to spread via SWF groups. Also, if SWF groups acknowledge Killers don't want to deal with them, then they unconscionably acknowledge that SWF is unfair, but since you get to play with your friends it doesn't really matter for the Killer player, who is pretty much at mercy to them unless you're playing Nurse.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    The thing about the "toxicity" in Dead by Daylight is that due to the nature of the game, most of what people consider toxic is normal behavior.

For example, as a killer I used to constantly complain that flashlights were toxic. Then I later tried playing survivior with flashlights and I realized that the flashlight save playstyle was thrilling and rewarding. So, I stopped complaining.

Most of the things folks whine about, such as: Looping, Bodyblocking, Camping, Tunneling, are actually perfectly reasonable and acceptable things for each side to do as they are just part of the game. You may not like getting camped right out of the gate, but the killer has ever right to do so. Just like how survivors have every right to loop/stun/blind as much as they can. 

The way I see it, the only things that are really toxic in DBD are the hate messages from all players.

T-bagging or nodding aren't really all that toxic as some folks use the "emotes" to communicate non-toxic messages.

All in all, the only things that are really and wholly toxic are the angry messages of sore losers. Once we get dedicated servers and finish the console ban stuff, that should stop quick enough. Just keep calm and carry on!
  • Carpemortum
    edited January 2019
    kamisen said:

@Carpemortum said:

But that's just semantics. How does it invalidate my opinion? The ranks are still there, mode or not.

Because there isnt a rank. That's like saying a prestige 3 kate is inherently better than a p1 jake. Because of their "level". 

Or a devotion 4 level 50 is better than a 0 dev level 45. The numbers mean nothing because they're stat trackers. They better match you. It offers no incentive, or drawback for NOT doing well. 

The system in DBD is not a competetive ranked model. Period.
  • NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

@Carpemortum said:

if it for better match making why am a rank 6 or 7 with 3 in red rank and red rank killer i'm playing solo btw so i like to know.

and i got screenshots of this match making.

• Carpemortum

@Carpemortum said:

if it for better match making why am a rank 6 or 7 with 3 in red rank and red rank killer i'm playing solo btw so i like to know.

and i got screenshots of this match making.

I said better, not perfect. Read my ENTIRE post. Where I say it hells prevent level 1s playing with 20s. It helps mitigate the issue. I never said it would rank you with just your level. That would be an actual ranking system. Which I said immediately, this is not. 

I've also been paired with 4 or 5 ranks apart. But never have I in red been paired with greys.
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I'm gonna get the rest of my perks during Moonrise and then just play kyf. I'm fed up with this game, mostly because of the never ending bugs imbalance

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    The problem is there are not enough people to split the game into two modes. The game has a lot of room for toxicity on both ends (survivors, by nature outnumber killers). Unfortunately,  these boards have too many immature, toxic players who overly favor one side or the other. 

Either the devs make a legit effort to clean up the game, or the game will fade due to a lack of new players. 

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Just to make a point, body blocking isn't toxic. It's part of the game. The survivors are taking a hit to try and save someone.

Other stuff yea it's pretty bad. However ranked V casual modes will split the player base. Might not be an issue on PC, at peak times, in peak areas, but it will be everywhere else. Not to mention, the moment you make a casual mode the toxic players will flock to it just to ruin someone's game, so you are damned no matter what you do.

A better solution is to find ways to make people be nice to each other. Kinda hard, but the more reasonable approach.

• kamisen

@Carpemortum said:

Because there isnt a rank. That's like saying a prestige 3 kate is inherently better than a p1 jake. Because of their "level".

Or a devotion 4 level 50 is better than a 0 dev level 45. The numbers mean nothing because they're stat trackers. They better match you. It offers no incentive, or drawback for NOT doing well.

The system in DBD is not a competetive ranked model. Period.

I completely disagree with you. The incentive/drawback lies in the numbers. You've heard of dopamine triggers, yeah? Perform well and you climb the ranks. Perform badly and you get depipped.

So there's no 'period' in my book.

• kamisen

@Warlock_2020 said:
    The problem is there are not enough people to split the game into two modes. The game has a lot of room for toxicity on both ends (survivors, by nature outnumber killers). Unfortunately,  these boards have too many immature, toxic players who overly favor one side or the other. 

Either the devs make a legit effort to clean up the game, or the game will fade due to a lack of new players. 

How do they work today? When I have reported a player, I would love to get some kind of acknowledgment that someone has looked into my report and what repercussions it entailed (if any). Let's be frank, players sometimes write things that would be a legal offense in many countries. That kind of behavior needs to have some consequence to it.

• kamisen

@thesuicidefox said:
    Just to make a point, body blocking isn't toxic. It's part of the game. The survivors are taking a hit to try and save someone.

Other stuff yea it's pretty bad. However ranked V casual modes will split the player base. Might not be an issue on PC, at peak times, in peak areas, but it will be everywhere else. Not to mention, the moment you make a casual mode the toxic players will flock to it just to ruin someone's game, so you are damned no matter what you do.

A better solution is to find ways to make people be nice to each other. Kinda hard, but the more reasonable approach.

About the body blocking: Another person pointed that out and I wholly agree.

That would be ideal. It just feels like the devs have the well-behaving of the community on a very low spot in their todo-list. But, I would support them all the way should they chose to go the route you suggested.

• kamisen

@TRGraybles said:
    Or you could do what 99% of the community does just play for fun and be at lvl. 15 permanent and don't care about your account's rank!

Just want to be clear: I don't care about my rank. I just don't depip on purpose and sometimes I climb the ranks. The toxicity is there in all ranks though. The chat rooms especially. But I'll try the 99%, there may be a difference in player attitudes that I haven't noticed!

• Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

@kamisen said:
    As mentioned in the title, I've been playing a few weeks. Pushed the game to a few of my friends. LOVE the core concept. However, as I climbed the ranking scale, the survivors became more and more toxic. In addition to glitching, body blocking, third-party software, looping and disconnecting, the players are nasty in their communication. There have been numerous instances of (close to) bullying in the post-game chat. I desperately need an option where I (a) can play in non-ranked games - just for fun - without the current matching system in place (it doesn't work anyway as teams always seem to have a low-ranked friend in their party and my rank climbs too fast). Or (b) an option to not play against/with teams. Additionally, are there any countermeasures from the developers' side? What happens with the reports etc.?

How are them glitching, third party software like discord are allowed.. What's wrong with looping do you want to survivor run in a straight line? that's the only thing that survivors can do loop.. or infinite.. Bodyblocking is allowed like camping and dribbling is ;), Guess your a killer main?

• kamisen

@Arroz said:
    How are them glitching, third party software like discord are allowed.. What's wrong with looping do you want to survivor run in a straight line? that's the only thing that survivors can do loop.. or infinite.. Bodyblocking is allowed like camping and dribbling is ;), Guess your a killer main?

In retrospect, my post is a semi-rant, I'll give you that. Some of these behaviours are bad, some of them are not. If you look at the previous posts in this thread you can see that I have reverted my opinion on body blocking. With that said, I feel that you highlight some features of my post in an attempt to brand me the salty killer. I'm not a main anything. And my point is still that survivors often are ######### in the post-game lobby, as opposed to the majority of killers.

I don't want to argue about the use of communication, we obviously have different opinions in that area. My standpoint is that communication across the map renders several perks useless and pushes the balance of the game to the survivors' advantage in a way that it isn't intended. I'm not saying people should stop, I do it too. But if you go SWF with comm, don't be a duck in the lobby afterward.

Side note: have the developers acknowledged that communication is an "allowed" feature of the game? Would love to see it with my own eyes.

• kamisen

@TRGraybles said:

@kamisen said:
    Just want to be clear: I don't care about my rank. I just don't depip on purpose and sometimes I climb the ranks. The toxicity is there in all ranks though. The chat rooms especially. But I'll try the 99%, there may be a difference in player attitudes that I haven't noticed!

You want to be in the Rank 12 -> 8 bracket technically way less salt and more fun games there! But since 2.5.0. they seem to have made it so Rank 15 -> 7ish all are in the same bracket!

Yeah, I have noticed a difference in the matching as well. But maybe this is a good change?

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Git Gud
  • FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

@Bravo0413 said:
    Git Gud

No u

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

@Bravo0413 said:
    Git Gud

No u

:O 
  • dpds
    dpds Member Posts: 52

oh no survivors are looping...

• kamisen
    dpds said:

Ah yes, this rhetorical device I've seen before. Was looping the point of my post?
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited January 2019

@kamisen said:
    Side note: have the developers acknowledged that communication is an "allowed" feature of the game? Would love to see it with my own eyes.

I won't find it.. It is in one of their Devs streams.

However proof is in the puddin... The fact they don't ban people for using Discord.

Also... You can join the DBD discord server itself.. They got about 20 or so channels you and your friends can use.

You can do a search in the forums to see where a mod has said they don't consider it cheating.

Or... You can ask them yourself. There is a section near where you sign in and out of the site here, that allows you to send a question to the mods.

• dpds
    dpds Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2019

@kamisen said:
    dpds said:

Ah yes, this rhetorical device I've seen before. Was looping the point of my post?

well you mentioned it, seems it troubles you equally along with other points, otherwise it wouldn't be there :)

• kamisen

@TheBean said:

@kamisen said:

I won't find it.. It is in one of their Devs streams.

However proof is in the puddin... The fact they don't ban people for using Discord.

Also... You can join the DBD discord server itself.. They got about 20 or so channels you and your friends can use.

You can do a search in the forums to see where a mod has said they don't consider it cheating.

Or... You can ask them yourself. There is a section near where you sign in and out of the site here, that allows you to send a question to the mods.

I'll do that.

• kamisen

@dpds said:

well you mentioned it, seems it troubles you equally along with other points, otherwise it wouldn't be there :)

No, it doesn't trouble me equally. It's rather the sum of all parts (with an emphasis on bad sportsmanship in the lobby) that troubles me.