The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Flashlights

I don't understand why people get so mad over flashlights, they're one of the survivors worst items. They are very easy to counter as a killer, not only with perks, looking at walls etc etc but they also make survivors play really stupid and careless. They also put them in really vulnerable positions. On top of it all, while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing. They could be doing gens but instead they're just crouching in the grass waiting for you to slug them.

Comments

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113

"dont use flashlights"

no

• LegitAdventurer
    LegitAdventurer Member Posts: 505

"dont use flashlights"

no

Lolol right?
  • Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

i can't use a flash light to save my life....i try but nope....is like the keys, 8/10 i never end up using it

• GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464

@LegitAdventurer said:
    I don't understand why people get so mad over flashlights, they're one of the survivors worst items. They are very easy to counter as a killer, not only with perks, looking at walls etc etc but they also make survivors play really stupid and careless. They also put them in really vulnerable positions. On top of it all, while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing. They could be doing gens but instead they're just crouching in the grass waiting for you to slug them.

"Very easy to counter as killer"

Ok lets unpack this.

1. They won't use a torch unless the killer is doing something which locks them into a position in which they can't look away, like Pickup animations, breaking a pallet, window vaults etc etc

2. "They are vulnerable" The optimal blinding distance for the flashlight is not in a killers face it's out of even lunge range but that does not matter because see point 1.

3. "while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing" it only takes 2 people 1 to get downed and 1 to flash, the other 2 will sit running gens as usual.

So on the whole i can't say i agree that flashlights are the worst i actually believe toolboxes are, they only up repair speed and sabotaging hooks is not nearly as useful as it used to be.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

@Mushwin said:
    i can't use a flash light to save my life....i try but nope....is like the keys, 8/10 i never end up using it

I feel the only time I can use a flashlight is when I randomly find one in a treasure chest. XD If I bring one in, I either forget or just can't aim.

• Mushwin

@fluffybunny i udsually gift mine to someone without an item LOL i try, i try aiming for the chest and going up but ugh i suck...lol

• fluffybunny

@Mushwin said:
    @fluffybunny i udsually gift mine to someone without an item LOL i try, i try aiming for the chest and going up but ugh i suck...lol

Honestly when I get one, I use it to light up other survivors LMAO especially if I'm SWF and they don't care if I goof around. Some people are fussy.

• Mushwin

@fluffybunny i do like to goof about....if someone is near me and hasn't loaded to the map yet, i run over and squat, looking up at them, first thing they see is that! lol or i do a bob and say howdy near gens.....run to people hooked with my head right back lol

• fluffybunny

I do the same, hehe. If I spawn by someone, I'll give the greeting squats. If I'm jumping on a gen, sometimes I'll give hello squats, too.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I have no problem with Flashlights. I'm apparently extremely skilled at hunting by sound alone. Pretty sure I've gotten reported some games for catching a healthy survivor make a slight breath as I walk pass and just lunge at them from a 90 degree angle.

• LegitAdventurer

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

1. They won't use a torch unless the killer is doing something which locks them into a position in which they can't look away, like Pickup animations, breaking a pallet, window vaults etc etc

2. "They are vulnerable" The optimal blinding distance for the flashlight is not in a killers face it's out of even lunge range but that does not matter because see point 1.

3. "while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing" it only takes 2 people 1 to get downed and 1 to flash, the other 2 will sit running gens as usual.

So on the whole i can't say i agree that flashlights are the worst i actually believe toolboxes are, they only up repair speed and sabotaging hooks is not nearly as useful as it used to be.

You could run lightborn, look away, drop the person, pretty much all of these are very simple counters too a flashlight. Do your best not to pick people up out in the open, patrol the body for a second before you pick them up. So many easy and simple counters to flashlights. 

Toolboxes are the best item lol. Gen rush is real. The entire objective is too finish gens. So to act like the flashlight guy isn't screwing over all the survivors playing king altruism is just silly.
  • LegitAdventurer

I do the same, hehe. If I spawn by someone, I'll give the greeting squats. If I'm jumping on a gen, sometimes I'll give hello squats, too.

I do this as well. This is the only appropriate use of teabagging
  • GraviteaUK
    edited January 2019

@LegitAdventurer said:
    GraviteaUK said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

* They won't use a torch unless the killer is doing something which locks them into a position in which they can't look away, like Pickup animations, breaking a pallet, window vaults etc etc

• "They are vulnerable" The optimal blinding distance for the flashlight is not in a killers face it's out of even lunge range but that does not matter because see point 1.

• "while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing" it only takes 2 people 1 to get downed and 1 to flash, the other 2 will sit running gens as usual.

You could run lightborn, look away, drop the person, pretty much all of these are very simple counters too a flashlight. Do your best not to pick people up out in the open, patrol the body for a second before you pick them up. So many easy and simple counters to flashlights. 

Toolboxes are the best item lol. Gen rush is real. The entire objective is too finish gens. So to act like the flashlight guy isn't screwing over all the survivors playing king altruism is just silly.

Not all people have flashlights on the loading screen, and you cannot lookaway on pickup or drop them if the timing is right and try not to pick them up in the open? yes i will let them run for a bit longer to get to the killer bus stop for pickup, hopefully they won't find a pallet.

Lightborn is all well and good but a perk slot wasted because of people being able to blind a killer when he's locked into an animation and has no control over his character is pretty dumb.

• LegitAdventurer

@LegitAdventurer said:
    GraviteaUK said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

* They won't use a torch unless the killer is doing something which locks them into a position in which they can't look away, like Pickup animations, breaking a pallet, window vaults etc etc

• "They are vulnerable" The optimal blinding distance for the flashlight is not in a killers face it's out of even lunge range but that does not matter because see point 1.

• "while those flashlight survivors are hugging their tunneled friends, that's time spent doing absolutely nothing" it only takes 2 people 1 to get downed and 1 to flash, the other 2 will sit running gens as usual.

Not all people have flashlights on the loading screen, and you cannot lookaway on pickup or drop them if the timing is right and try not to pick them up in the open? yes i will let them run for a bit longer to get to the killer bus stop for pickup, hopefully they won't find a pallet.

Lightborn is all well and good but a perk slot wasted because of people being able to blind a killer when he's locked into an animation and has no control over his character is pretty dumb.

You know you can drop the survivor...even when being flashligt stunned...right?
  • GraviteaUK

@LegitAdventurer said:
    GraviteaUK said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

GraviteaUK said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

• They won't use a torch unless the killer is doing something which locks them into a position in which they can't look away, like Pickup animations, breaking a pallet, window vaults etc etc

You know you can drop the survivor...even when being flashligt stunned...right?

If the survivor times it right you will start to get blinded as you are picking them up and hit full flashlight stun after you have just finished picking them up and drop the survivor with no chance to move or the game acknowledging a key press

You can spend the entire time spamming R but it won't make a difference.

• LegitAdventurer
    edited January 2019
    If the survivor times it right you will start to get blinded as you are picking them up and hit full flashlight stun after you have just finished picking them up and drop the survivor with no chance to move or the game acknowledging a key press

You can spend the entire time spamming R but it won't make a difference.

No sir. Even if they have perfect flashlight timing, if you spam the drop bottom during pick up animation, you will drop them with no problem.

Edit: you will still receive a momentary flashlight stun, but will not let the survivor run free.
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@GraviteaUK said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

LIGHTBORN... That's my only comment.

• nancyt1428
    nancyt1428 Member Posts: 66

I am no good with a flashlight. If I bring one in, it's because I just feel like burning something from my inventory and I'll use it to signal other survivors if I've opened an exit gate.

• TheWraith883
    TheWraith883 Member Posts: 66

Oh really? When you face toxic survivors with friends and they keep bullying you the whole game and blind you even when you check your surrounding you think it's ok? I think Flashlights should be removed from the game. since you think it's easy then maybe you should suggest removing the flashlight?

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Explain it to me again please, how do I counter a pallet blind for example? 

If flashlights are so weak, why do you wanna use them?
  • LegitAdventurer
    Master said:

I don't think pallet blind is really that big of a deal honestly. But a good counter to that is playing mind games on the pallet, before breaking it. Just chasing directly behing the survivor and instabreaking a pallet that was just dropped on you puts you in a vulnerable position. But i can't tell you how many survivors ive swung at through the flashlight blind and have hitten for free because they tried blinding at a pallet haha.

And i don't want to use flashlights lol i think they're awful. I would much rather use a toolbox or medkit. But generally i dont bring any item into the game.
  • LegitAdventurer

Oh really? When you face toxic survivors with friends and they keep bullying you the whole game and blind you even when you check your surrounding you think it's ok? I think Flashlights should be removed from the game. since you think it's easy then maybe you should suggest removing the flashlight?

If you know this is happening to you them don't pick the person up, just slug them and check all the cover near by the survivor. If theres a flashlight guy nearby you'll get an easy hit on him atleast which will scare him off long enough for you to pick up his friend. And if you go to grab the down survivor and he comes back, drop the survivor and get yourself another easy down.
  • mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    edited January 2019

I legit hate flashlights. I didn't care until I ran into this David King that did this bullshit thing where he like... Flashed me while I was breaking a pallet, and then flashed me again immediately after my first flash wore off, and then I turned to get away from it, and he followed my turn and flashed me again? I ended up disconnecting because he just kept doing it & I couldn't get away from him.

• LegitAdventurer

I legit hate flashlights. I didn't care until I ran into this David King that did this bullshit thing where he like... Flashed me while I was breaking a pallet, and then flashed me again immediately after my first flash wore off, and then I turned to get away from it, and he followed my turn and flashed me again? I ended up disconnecting because he just kept doing it & I couldn't get away from him.

#########? Thats really weird. I've never seen that.
  • artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

1. ears
    2. ears
    3. one less lonely girl 

also bait the pick up?
  • mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

@LegitAdventurer said:
    #########? Thats really weird. I've never seen that.

RIGHT? ME EITHER. I was baffled as to how he was doing it, but he was somehow doing it. Like my screen was just that stupid blinded screen over and over again for a while even though I kept trying to gtfaway from this dude.

• LegitAdventurer
    artist said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

Ok lets unpack this.

1. ears
    2. ears
    3. one less lonely girl 

also bait the pick up?
    Exactly.
  • Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

You folks do know that lightburn is a thing, right?
    https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Lightburn

• LegitAdventurer
    Peasant said:

You folks do know that lightburn is a thing, right?
    https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Lightburn

Thats what I'm saying lol.
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Counter question: why do SWF last second switchers disconnect, when I don't get blinded by their 4 torches?
  • Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

@Master said:
    LegitAdventurer said:

With stridor? you just need to listen and follow the survivor, if the survivor has iron will stridor totally counters it ;)

• LegitAdventurer
    Tsulan said:
    Counter question: why do SWF last second switchers disconnect, when I don't get blinded by their 4 torches?
    Because they're afraid of being dodged. I don't even use items at all so this doesn't apply to me lol. And people do this wether they're SWF or not. Why does everyone lump every SWF into the same category?

The same toxic survivors you hate as SWF also play the exact same way as solos....
  • LegitAdventurer
    Arroz said:

@Master said:
    LegitAdventurer said:

With stridor? you just need to listen and follow the survivor, if the survivor has iron will stridor totally counters it ;)

STRIDOR OP MUST NERF