If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

A simple fix for totems

Options

Totems have an inherent problem with their design. Most of the time survivors spawn and can see them right off the start. I would like to say that totems should light up when the perk activates, like how noed works. It's very simple. Devour and lullaby would light up when you gain a stack, thrill will spawn when a survivor starts cleansing a totem, ruin will spawn when a survivor gets a generator skill check, and the third seal will spawn when a survivor is hit. It's a very minor buff that makes totems feel more practical and less like a dead perk slot when they are cleansed within 30 seconds.

Comments

• Kilrane
    Kilrane Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think all totems should work like NOED in that if one is up and not inhabited by a Hex then it will inhabit that totem. This includes after the totem it is inhabiting already is destroyed. What I mean by this is: say you have Ruin equipped, Survivors find and dismantle your lit totem, they succeed in breaking it, Ruin will then transfer to an uninhabited totem and light that one up.

It will give totems a much larger time sink for an objective that Survivors should be doing anyway.
  • ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    Options

@Kilrane said:
    I think all totems should work like NOED in that if one is up and not inhabited by a Hex then it will inhabit that totem. This includes after the totem it is inhabiting already is destroyed. What I mean by this is: say you have Ruin equipped, Survivors find and dismantle your lit totem, they succeed in breaking it, Ruin will then transfer to an uninhabited totem and light that one up.

It will give totems a much larger time sink for an objective that Survivors should be doing anyway.

SWF scenario with this:

"Hey guys? We got ruin."
    "Ok...everyone find a totem, but wait to break it."
    "Got your totems?"
    "Yeah. But the killer is patrolling them."
    "Don't get caught. Who has the lit one? Ah, good....pop it!"
    "Now, everyone start working on their totem. If all goes well...this leaves only one more."
    "Drat, now he's going to camp that one."
    "Treat it like standard ruin now, Noed at least can't effect us."

3 gens later.

"We are 1 man down, 1 hooked, and 2 gens left to go. Since he's distracted...let's try to pull his attention in two. You go for the hook...I'll go for the totem."

Totem popped....another man down....another gen popped....1 gen remaining.

• Kilrane
    Options

@Kilrane said:

SWF scenario with this:

"Hey guys? We got ruin."
    "Ok...everyone find a totem, but wait to break it."
    "Got your totems?"
    "Yeah. But the killer is patrolling them."
    "Don't get caught. Who has the lit one? Ah, good....pop it!"
    "Now, everyone start working on their totem. If all goes well...this leaves only one more."
    "Drat, now he's going to camp that one."
    "Treat it like standard ruin now, Noed at least can't effect us."

3 gens later.

"We are 1 man down, 1 hooked, and 2 gens left to go. Since he's distracted...let's try to pull his attention in two. You go for the hook...I'll go for the totem."

Totem popped....another man down....another gen popped....1 gen remaining.

Yes, it would cost SWF more time because Hex Perks are more robust. 
  • rmills963
    rmills963 Member Posts: 3
    Options

@Kilrane said:

No, it's an insane buff that makes them horribly unbalanced. Hex perks are already good enough needing to be found once, let alone finding ruin 5 times, thats just obnoxious. especially if you have thrill of the hunt. Totem perks are in a pretty good spot, i just want to prevent them from being seen upon spawning or devour being destroyed when they dont even know what it is

• Kilrane
    Options
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:

No, it's an insane buff that makes them horribly unbalanced. Hex perks are already good enough needing to be found once, let alone finding ruin 5 times, thats just obnoxious. especially if you have thrill of the hunt. Totem perks are in a pretty good spot, i just want to prevent them from being seen upon spawning or devour being destroyed when they dont even know what it is

Why is it horribly unbalanced? Why is it obnoxious? 
  • rmills963
    rmills963 Member Posts: 3
    Options

@Kilrane said:
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:

Totem perks are extremely powerful, devour can snowball an entire game if left unattended, ruin makes games take nearly twice as long if that isnt destroyed. needing to find all 5 totems takes WAY too much from survivors, it is already nearly mandatory for time it stalls the game for already. How is requiring to find all 5 totems balanced? My intention was to stop the spawn breaking of totems so they dont feel like dead perks

• NotBiasedAtAll
    NotBiasedAtAll Member Posts: 50
    Options

Yeah, I don't think hex perks being transferred from totem to totem is too good of an idea.
    Some totems are already hid well. Now, if totems didn't have the chance to spawn right next to objectives or survivors, I think hex perks would be in a great place. Only lighting up when they are in use, as the topic creator said, is also a minor buff that I think would make sense.

• Kilrane
    edited June 2018
    Options
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:

Totem perks are extremely powerful, devour can snowball an entire game if left unattended, ruin makes games take nearly twice as long if that isnt destroyed. needing to find all 5 totems takes WAY too much from survivors, it is already nearly mandatory for time it stalls the game for already. How is requiring to find all 5 totems balanced? My intention was to stop the spawn breaking of totems so they dont feel like dead perks

Because time is king in this game. Already Killers that are not top tier struggle with Survivors because of all the time wasting and second chance perks they have. Picking a totem perk under this system would give Survivors a much needed time sink that is currently lacking in the game and expand the current meta. Your idea gives totems gives Hex perks a marginal amount of bonus time. Survivors will still spawn next to totems and will either tap a gen to see if they get the Curse then go back or immediately pop the totem. 

Yeah, I don't think hex perks being transferred from totem to totem is too good of an idea.
    Some totems are already hid well. Now, if totems didn't have the chance to spawn right next to objectives or survivors, I think hex perks would be in a great place. Only lighting up when they are in use, as the topic creator said, is also a minor buff that I think would make sense.

Some are well hidden, however those locations are memorized by high ranked survivors. Totems are a more complicated subject because of how powerful they can be but also because of how easily they are removed from play.

All in all time is what is important here. Losing a perk slot should require much more work than spending a small amount of time on totems.
  • Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@Kilrane said:
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:

Because if it did that to SWF, it’d basically infinity gauntlet solo players out of this dimension

• Kilrane
    Options
    Jack11803 said:

@Kilrane said:
    rmills963 said:

@Kilrane said:

Because if it did that to SWF, it’d basically infinity gauntlet solo players out of this dimension

I take your statement to mean that you think this is balanced  (in my mind at least) against SWF but not vs solo play.

No. Solo players need to hunt for totems too. Hex: Ruin is used to slow down the game because there is hardly any time sink that Killers can introduce. Solo players are affected by that just as much as SWF.