Time to stop matching survivors and killers by 'rank'.

Rex_Huin
Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

Seriously just make it completely random.

Will shorten queue times and I think the element of the unknown will be interesting.

Rank is abstract anyhow – an excellent player who has not played for 3 months will have dropped right down.

What’s the worst that could happen? In the worst scenario a noob killer gets trounced by a group of top-tier survivors? – that happens anyhow.

Comments

• KissyKissy
    KissyKissy Member Posts: 112

I like the fact that it would at least try at the start, but if takes too long it broadens the search. Im rank 13 survivor and have been paired with rank 8's anyhow.

• Rex_Huin

@KissyKissy said:
    I like the fact that it would at least try at the start, but if takes too long it broadens the search. Im rank 13 survivor and have been paired with rank 8's anyhow.

My best guess on PS4 is that it tries to match you at similar rank but eventually settles on total rank of survivors /4 = your rank.

So for example a rank 10 killer could be matched with 2 x rank 5, and 2 x rank 15.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    I don't get back to rank 1 every month to deal with rank 15 killers, no.
  • Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

@Vietfox said:

Well due to the presence of dodgers and the like you would face some skilled "rank 15" killers eventually.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    Rex_Huin said:

Seriously just make it completely random.

Will shorten queue times and I think the element of the unknown will be interesting.

Rank is abstract anyhow – an excellent player who has not played for 3 months will have dropped right down.

What’s the worst that could happen? In the worst scenario a noob killer gets trounced by a group of top-tier survivors? – that happens anyhow.

No, the worst that could happen is a 4 stack gets trounced by a much better Killer. Then it'll be a problem of being mismatched.
  • Rex_Huin

@Vietfox said:

But what is a rank 15 killer - someone who is no good or a rank 5 killer who hasn't played for some time?

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Honestly the whole rank stuff is pointless and annoying. Queues take ages depending on time and location because you're supposed to play against people of your skill level when in reality there's yellow ranks who play better than red ranks.
  • Rex_Huin

People are taking longer and longer breaks from this game - the rank system for most people no longer applies.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    @Rex_Huin said:

@Vietfox said:

But what is a rank 15 killer - someone who is no good or a rank 5 killer who hasn't played for some time?

Well i don't know how many of each are at rank 15 but wouldn't like to face a legit rank 15 player.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

This is just avoiding the problem instead of fixing it. The problem is that the ranking system is flawed.

• DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

Fundamental problem with that is new players on either side matching with experienced players and getting destroyed. The ranking system is flawed, but this game is devastatingly punishing for new players already. Making that worse would turn away many more new players.

• weirdkid5
    Yamaoka said:
    Honestly the whole rank stuff is pointless and annoying. Queues take ages depending on time and location because you're supposed to play against people of your skill level when in reality there's yellow ranks who play better than red ranks.
    Well yeah, that's cause Ranking isn't actually hard. Now if it was based purely on if you live or die, then maybe it would actually be meaningful.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Contrary to what some people say, rank does mean something. It's not a clear cut indication of skill, but a rank 1 will DEFINITELY be better at the game than a rank 20.

Imagine being a rank 15 surv matched up against a rank 1 killer. Or vice versa. You will get bodied. It's not fair to those players.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Well i don't know how many of each are at rank 15 but wouldn't like to face a legit rank 15 player.

The thing is there aren't even many "legit" rank 15s anymore. I personally know a nearly invincible rank 1 survivor who deranked to yellow ranks in like 3 days so he can find games more quickly and play against different people rather than against the same rank 1 killer over and over again. And he is by far not the only one who doesn't play with the rank that represents his skill level.

Maybe the whole match making should depend on dbd hours rather than on a meaningless rank number. Just a thought.
  • Rex_Huin

@thesuicidefox said:
    Contrary to what some people say, rank does mean something. It's not a clear cut indication of skill, but a rank 1 will DEFINITELY be better at the game than a rank 20.

Imagine being a rank 15 surv matched up against a rank 1 killer. Or vice versa. You will get bodied. It's not fair to those players.

Or you may get teamed with 3 rank 1 survivors and escape. The thrill of the unknown!

Or as killer chances are there will always be at least one weak link in the survivor team.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@Peasant said:

@Vietfox said:

Well due to the presence of dodgers and the like you would face some skilled "rank 15" killers eventually.

Between the derankers you probably have some experienced killers at those ranks.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301
    edited January 2019

Removing any form of matchmaking, even if the current matchmaking mainly matches on playing frequency, will result in good killers always dominating the match.

If a killer is 100% and 4 survivors need toform a total of 100% to be able to match that killer then even if you're a good survivor, the chances that you'll be able to win is very small: Your team might be you (30%), + 10% + 5% + 20% for a total of 65%.

This would mean that even if you are a good survivor, your chances of being matched with a good team is significantly decreased.
    This creates an even bigger difference between Solo's and SWF's; not related to voice-coms, but to the degree that SWF's have control over their matchmaking, allowing them to consistently match up with good players. (30% + 30% + 30% + 30% = 120%)

With no Grinding Matchmaking system (what we currently have) we'd have an even worse measurement for overall survivor balance, which would be somewhere near the 65%.

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838
    edited January 2019

PS4 queue times for survivor are irritating! It's turning people away for #########'s sake.

20+ minute solo queue time, are you ######### kidding me?
    Solo survivor, not to mention when killers lobby dodge after finding a ######### game an hour later.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

Good idea. As everyone is always saying

"rAnK dOeSn'T mAtTeR"

This would easily solve the problem! Because why have rank, if it doesn't matter? It clearly doesn't separate completely new players, and Legacy 3 players from each other TO AN EXTENT! Not saying it's perfect, but it's better than NOTHING!

• weirdkid5

PS4 queue times for survivor are irritating! It's turning people away for [BAD WORD]'s sake.

20+ minute solo queue time, are you [BAD WORD] kidding me?

Wut. Solo queue times for me are basically non existent. Blame it on the fact most people play this game with SWF of groups of usually 2 or 4. Meaning solo players may have tough times finding games and others they won't. The worst queue times can be for solo players or 3 stack SWF because of the lack of Solo survivors to fill the last slot.

Even more reason the queues need to be split apart.
  • ReneAensland

@weirdkid5 said:
    ReneAensland said:

PS4 queue times for survivor are irritating! It's turning people away for [BAD WORD]'s sake.

20+ minute solo queue time, are you [BAD WORD] kidding me?

Wut. Solo queue times for me are basically non existent. Blame it on the fact most people play this game with SWF of groups of usually 2 or 4. Meaning solo players may have tough times finding games and others they won't. The worst queue times can be for solo players or 3 stack SWF because of the lack of Solo survivors to fill the last slot.

Even more reason the queues need to be split apart.

I'm currently waiting. Give me a sec, I'll be posting a vid.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301

@Swiftblade131 said:
    Good idea. As everyone is always saying

"rAnK dOeSn'T mAtTeR"

This would easily solve the problem! Because why have rank, if it doesn't matter? It clearly doesn't separate completely new players, and Legacy 3 players from each other TO AN EXTENT! Not saying it's perfect, but it's better than NOTHING!

What they mainly mean by "rank doesn't matter" is that Rank 1 is not an indicator that you have reached a top x percentile of a playerbase (and thus that such credentials are invalid when trying to point out how well you understand the game).

It's really an indicator of playing frequency, which only to a certain degree translates into skill. That's what people mainly try to point out.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,906
    So you'd be ok being in the high ranks, getting a high rank killer, but having a team of rank 20 players who still don't know what they're doing?
  • Pudding
    Pudding Member Posts: 70

nah just make the ranked system properly...
    i cant tell how its on the killers side but its not hard at all to get to rank one as survivor ... not really saying anything about your skill

• ReneAensland

If you're Rank 1, your killers will be Rank 8, 7, 6 through 1. Your survivors will be rank 1- 8 as well.
    At Rank 9 through 12, same code.
    Rank 13- maybe 16 same code.

Is that so hard? It's making the rank system broader, not broken.
    God........I'm uploading my queue time, it's riduculous.

• jacksonhaltom
    jacksonhaltom Member Posts: 3

This has to be the dumbest thread about dead by daylight to ever be made. Are you serious?? If they want any chance in hell of saving this game, they need to first fix how you rank up and what’s required to pip. Next, they need to start matching everyone with AT LEAST the same color rank you are. ######### the wait times. I’d rather wait 5 minutes than have a group of SWF rank 1s as a rank 14 killer... Obviously you’re red rank or close to it. OF COURSE YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE RANKS BEING #########. Because you know everyone you play against either has the same skill set IF NOT way lower than you. ######### off

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

The idea that rank is abstract is nonsense. As a general rule Rank 1 Survivors are significantly better than Green Rank Survivors. The major problem is when people try to equate Survivor and Killer Ranks. Green Rank killers can 4K Red Rank survivors. That's how the game is balanced.