If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Differences in Survivors?

Options
ShrimpTwiggs
ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

I feel like having all the survivors being the exact same makes the survivor role feel a little bland sometimes. And I think it also contributes to some of the balance issues in the game. Just a suggestion, but what if the survivors could perform their corresponding perks better then the others. Like no survivor could self care as fast as Claudette or no survivor could sabotage as fast as Jake? Or the skill check for decisive strike will be smaller if your aren't Laurie. I think this would really help knock some of the power out of stacking perks like Self Care, Sprint Burst, Lithe, etc. It would also add some uniqueness to the survivors which I think would help the role feel more fun.

Comments

• LiveByNightTime
    LiveByNightTime Member Posts: 17
    Options

This is a very good idea i like where your head is at this would make the game more interesting and deeper and no 2 survivors will be Exactly the same even if they are running the same exact perks. Cool

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@Krempi said:
    This has been suggested many times but would only lead to one thing: nearly everyone playing the exact same survivor with the best perks.

In my opinion it's enough to have them act as skins only.

I see what you mean, but I think it would also make it really clear which perks would need to be evaluated. And the way things are now, we pretty much are just playing the exact same survivor, they just look different, which I think is kind of a shame.

• GhostEuant
    GhostEuant Member Posts: 243
    Options
    Krempi said:

This has been suggested many times but would only lead to one thing: nearly everyone playing the exact same survivor with the best perks.

Agree with this. Players would play the survivor with the best passive advantages, no matter how small, because of perceived min/maxing. If Claudette could self-heal faster than David, even if by only a few seconds, I would feel compelled to play her even though I much prefer David. 
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@GhostEuant said:
    Krempi said:

Agree with this. Players would play the survivor with the best passive advantages, no matter how small, because of perceived min/maxing. If Claudette could self-heal faster than David, even if by only a few seconds, I would feel compelled to play her even though I much prefer David. 

That's true, but it would also make incredibly clear who's perks need nerfs or buffs. If no one chooses David then his perks are seriously overshadowed by others and they should be looked at. Their's also the fact that their's not much reason to prefer a survivor over another because they're all the same after a certain level. Then there's the whole balance issue. The way survivors are now, they can stack DS, SB, SC, etc. and just about ruin the game for a lot of killers. I feel like this change would not only give the survivors more difference, but it would knock some of the power off of stacking these perks. And while many would be compelled to play certain characters, this would allow the option of different play styles, which survivors don't really have.

• Krempi
    Krempi Member Posts: 12
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Krempi said:

I see what you mean, but I think it would also make it really clear which perks would need to be evaluated. And the way things are now, we pretty much are just playing the exact same survivor, they just look different, which I think is kind of a shame.

Yeah, it would be cool to have real differences between them but the game hasn't enough functions for that to be honest.

When it comes to killers it makes actually fun to play not nurse only because you can use a completely other playstyle with the trapper or doctor for example even though she is the best. Even if you would change their own perks to be better on each self you would the different killers.

But survivors are all the same in what they can do and thus better self-care on claudette for example would make her even more appealing additionaly to her smaller character model which some see as a bonus for stealth. If there would be enough little interactions besides repair-, heal- and running-speed you could maybe make some interesting differences but get in trouble which each new char.

I totally get your point and don't think it's a bad idea. Just not really an option for the game. Even the left for dead black shirt on Claudette made a good portion of the community go nuts back then. So every small detail might tip the favor of one side even more.

• ThePloopz
    ThePloopz Member Posts: 1,010
    Options
    You can’t do this with perks though it just won’t work. What makes killers different is their power not their perks so it wouldn’t really make sense to mess with survivor perks because it wouldn’t make them different it’d just make the same survivors pop up
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@Krempi said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Krempi said:

Yeah, it would be cool to have real differences between them but the game hasn't enough functions for that to be honest.

When it comes to killers it makes actually fun to play not nurse only because you can use a completely other playstyle with the trapper or doctor for example even though she is the best. Even if you would change their own perks to be better on each self you would the different killers.

But survivors are all the same in what they can do and thus better self-care on claudette for example would make her even more appealing additionaly to her smaller character model which some see as a bonus for stealth. If there would be enough little interactions besides repair-, heal- and running-speed you could maybe make some interesting differences but get in trouble which each new char.

I totally get your point and don't think it's a bad idea. Just not really an option for the game. Even the left for dead black shirt on Claudette made a good portion of the community go nuts back then. So every small detail might tip the favor of one side even more.

I agree with you for the most part, but I sill think it would be a better route to make them different. Some people will always prefer Sprint Burst and lean more toward Meg for her evasive abilities. Some people would rather play the healer and lean more toward Claudette, some would rather be stealthy and play Nea, and some who prefer a more risky game would play David. I think it's possible to incorporate this change but you do have a point with the limited activities that survivors do. I think the way it is now, with every survivor being the same and sharing equal power in all these perks makes the survivor role a bit bland now and again and promotes stacking powerful perks with no drawback. There are ups and downs either way I suppose.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    edited June 2018
    Options

@ThePloopz said:
    You can’t do this with perks though it just won’t work. What makes killers different is their power not their perks so it wouldn’t really make sense to mess with survivor perks because it wouldn’t make them different it’d just make the same survivors pop up

I see your point, but it would also clarify what perks need buffs or nerfs. If everyone's playing Claudette, Meg, and Laurie, and no one's playing David or Ace, then it's blaringly obvious that those perks might need to be evaluated. The way the game is now, the same survivor always pops up, they just look different.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,183
    Options

The survivors are exactly the same. You only play another suvivor because they have different cosmetics. The 'best' survivor is Claudette ofcourse because she's small and black (no racism), with self car. And with prestige 2 or 3 she's very good at hiding

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

If you buff that character's perks, you're making it even worse than the killers have it now. A Claudette with faster self-care would be just as powerful at the other perks as she is now, but with the added benefit of self-healing faster as well. You would have to reduce the effectiveness of another character's perks, which would make a lot of people very unhappy, and be difficult to balance on top of the other balance changes they're already trying to consider. It is not easy to balance a game such as this, though I do appreciate that people are coming up with constructive ideas rather than simply griping and quitting. I want to see more people coming into DBD, not more leaving in frustration.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@Coriander said:
    If you buff that character's perks, you're making it even worse than the killers have it now. A Claudette with faster self-care would be just as powerful at the other perks as she is now, but with the added benefit of self-healing faster as well. You would have to reduce the effectiveness of another character's perks, which would make a lot of people very unhappy, and be difficult to balance on top of the other balance changes they're already trying to consider. It is not easy to balance a game such as this, though I do appreciate that people are coming up with constructive ideas rather than simply griping and quitting. I want to see more people coming into DBD, not more leaving in frustration.

I was thinking more along the line of, as an example, Claudette would self care the same speed she does now but everyone else would slower. You have a point with it being hard to balance but I think there's a ground where it could work. Sure it would make some unhappy, but it would also make many others happy, such as the killers for example. The way things are now, stacking all these perks is just too strong. It's true that with some of the ideas the devs have, this might not be a necessary change, so maybe its best to see how the updates go first. But the survivor role feels a little too copy and paste for me and I think some diversity among them would add some more fun to the role.

• shamo28
    shamo28 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I like Dwight's Make America Great Again hat.