The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Anti-Tunnel idea - Reveal Aura of the unhooker

HavelmomDaS1
HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
I was thinking about an idea to prevent tunneling survivors after they got unhooked.
My idea is to show the aura from the unhooker for some seconds, so it's easier to find him than the freshly unhooked one.

I don't know how you guys manage that but usually if someone unhooks the hooked guy I see the unhooked guy first, but the unhooker is somewhere hiding (and beeing a bad team mate in my eyes for not baiting me away) and time is to much pressuring to waste time searching someone and leaving the one I already spotted. 
It happens really often. I really don't want to tunnel everytime, but in these situations it's just like "sorry lad, you are the only one I can see right now and gens are going to pop". I feel bad, but that's the optimal way to do if you don't want to lose.

How you think about that idea? 
Post edited by HavelmomDaS1 on

Comments

• Paiz
    Paiz Member Posts: 81

I like this idea, I feel like it'd work nice as a general killer perk like spies from the shadows and noed where you dont have to level up a killer to get it.

I only see it working from certain distances though, as being too close will just start a chase with either person (most likely the unhooked person). Maybe if the unhooker is injured, they could get broken?

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    I know it sucks, but really going for the weakest player that doesn’t have 2 hits to loop through is sometimes the strongest game play a killer can do, and it makes sense.
  • JanTheMan
    JanTheMan Member Posts: 495
    Should add a perk like Identity V has, where when you hook someone, a random person's aura is shown to the killer for like 20 seconds (basically BBQ but they would have to hide in a locker 5 times longer)
  • HavelmomDaS1
    No I dont see this working. People would run Make Your Choice 100% more often. There really is no way to stop a killer from chasing the guy they want to kill.
    Hmm, yeah I see.. But you need a distance to activate MYC, so it's not 100% a free down. It should just motivate the killer more to go for unhooker, especially if you don't want to tunnel but don't know where he is and only see the recently hooked guy
  • HavelmomDaS1
    Paddy4583 said:
    I know it sucks, but really going for the weakest player that doesn’t have 2 hits to loop through is sometimes the strongest game play a killer can do, and it makes sense.
    Yeah as I said, sometimes you have to tunnel someone down to get rid of him (especially if you have 4 survivors with one or 2 gens left) but sometimes you are in a good position and sometimes you apply more pressure by leaving that injured guy wasting time healing. 
    As I said, it's more an idea to give me more help not tunnel if I really don't want to. I had a lot if situations when I only see the injured poor guy and the unhooker is hiding somewhere... Maybe removing the notification bubble could help aswell to spot the unhooker better
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    No I dont see this working. People would run Make Your Choice 100% more often. There really is no way to stop a killer from chasing the guy they want to kill.
    Hmm, yeah I see.. But you need a distance to activate MYC, so it's not 100% a free down. It should just motivate the killer more to go for unhooker, especially if you don't want to tunnel but don't know where he is and only see the recently hooked guy
    Not free, but probably still much more likely than intended.
  • Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839
    edited February 2019

The only way to stop tunnelling is to increase the length of the average game so killers don't feel like they need to tunnel to have a chance. If killers could play more casually without getting curb stomped by the game's current imbalance they would.

• HavelmomDaS1
    Okapi said:

The only way to stop tunnelling is to increase the length of the average game so killers don't feel like they need to tunnel to have a chance. If killers could play more casually without getting curb stomped by the game's current imbalance they would.

Yeah I agree on this, my idea is more likely for those killers who don't want to tunnel in certain situations (cuz they are in a good position). Obviously, to reduce the need of tunnel in many situations some other changes has to take place. My idea is more likely a little "hotfix" and not the best solution. 
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    JanTheMan said:
    Should add a perk like Identity V has, where when you hook someone, a random person's aura is shown to the killer for like 20 seconds (basically BBQ but they would have to hide in a locker 5 times longer)
    The killer could cross some maps twice in 20 seconds. That's way too long.
  • Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

@brokedownpalace said:
    JanTheMan said:

But it'd make sure the killer dOeSn'T tUnNeL the unhooked.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

@brokedownpalace said:
    JanTheMan said:

But it'd make sure the killer dOeSn'T tUnNeL the unhooked.

Yeah because they'd never have to spend time searching for another survivor again after the first hook. One hit down hatchets? Billy and Nurse would be at that survivor in 5-10 seconds. What if the killer has a mori? It's honestly an absurd idea.

Maybe you're being sarcastic though.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

As a base mechanic, no. As an additional effect for MYC that activates upon an unhook, even if the primary effect didn't? Maybe.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I can't see this stopping people from tunneling.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Then nobody would unhook.

Look, these guys don't tunnel because of a lack of other targets. The do it to either off each player asap, or just to be a prick. Yes, I know lots of killers that do it just to be toxic. It is one of many parts of this game that keeps it from getting a larger player base. Just too much room for toxic play that ruins other people's enjoyment. It is a weird game where the developers want their players to ruin each other's fun. Whether it is toxic survivors acting like azzhats, but that is ok, or toxic killers just trying to ruin your day with a good face camp or hard tunnel. Both are just fine in the eyes of developers, and they are the main reason the player base can't grow.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Warlock_2020 said:
    Then nobody would unhook.

SWF, 70% of the Survivor players, says hello.

• HavelmomDaS1

This won't stop a killer who wants to tunnel anyway, but this will help killers who don't want to tunnel but are kinda forced to because they don't see someone else but the recently unhooked guy.
  • lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    MojoTheFabulous said:

This won't stop a killer who wants to tunnel anyway, but this will help killers who don't want to tunnel but are kinda forced to because they don't see someone else but the recently unhooked guy.

You are never forced to tunnel. It is a choice. Simple as that. Also, no sympathy for the recently unhooked survivor. You are easy prey now. Figure out where to go to hide and heal. Tunneling is not an issue and there is nothing to fix about it.

• BlackReaper
    BlackReaper Member Posts: 134

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    I was thinking about an idea to prevent tunneling survivors after they got unhooked.
    My idea is to show the aura from the unhooker for some seconds, so it's easier to find him than the freshly unhooked one.

I don't know how you guys manage that but usually if someone unhooks the hooked guy I see the unhooked guy first, but the unhooker is somewhere hiding (and beeing a bad team mate in my eyes for not baiting me away) and time is to much pressuring to waste time searching someone and leaving the one I already spotted. 
    It happens really often. I really don't want to tunnel everytime, but in these situations it's just like "sorry lad, you are the only one I can see right now and gens are going to pop". I feel bad, but that's the optimal way to do if you don't want to lose.

I dont really like to tunnel, i prefer to let the unhook run free for a while at least, but right now what you say is kinda useless, if you waste your time with the guy who needs two hits to get to the ground and let the easy kill run free you will just get a big gen rush and you will get a big sad face. :angry:

• Orion

@lasombra1979 said:
    You are never forced to tunnel. It is a choice. Simple as that. Also, no sympathy for the recently unhooked survivor. You are easy prey now. Figure out where to go to hide and heal. Tunneling is not an issue and there is nothing to fix about it.

It's "a choice" in the same way that holding a gun to someone's head and telling them to do something or you'll shoot them is giving them "a choice", but in common terminology, it's definitely not always a choice.

• lasombra1979

@Orion said:

@lasombra1979 said:

It's "a choice" in the same way that holding a gun to someone's head and telling them to do something or you'll shoot them is giving them "a choice", but in common terminology, it's definitely not always a choice.

It is certainly a choice. You do not have to go after that injured recently unhooked survivor. It is the smart choice, but still a choice. You do not have to tunnel. You can still pip easily not tunneling. But tunneling makes removing survivors quicker from the game.

• Orion

@lasombra1979 said:

@Orion said:

@lasombra1979 said:

It is certainly a choice. You do not have to go after that injured recently unhooked survivor. It is the smart choice, but still a choice. You do not have to tunnel. You can still pip easily not tunneling. But tunneling makes removing survivors quicker from the game.

If that's the only survivor you see, it's not really a choice. See the gun to the head example.

• HavelmomDaS1

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    MojoTheFabulous said:

Yeah, you are never forced to tunnel if you don't care to win or lose. But if you want to win and you only see the unhooked guy you are forced to go for him instead of ignoring him and searching for someone who could be stealthy af.
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    Here's the thing with that: you could use it to tunnel as well. If I come back and see two sets of scratch marks and the one on the right has the unhooker's aura, the guy that got unhooked is almost definitely the other one. Or if there's one set, they ran the same way to hide and heal, and the aura will show me where. When in any doubt, the unhooked guy is going to be leaving a blood trail as well.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

Since that is a survivor nerf basically, this will never happen.

Also it would be an incentive, not prevention :wink:

• lasombra1979

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    lasombra1979 said:

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

MojoTheFabulous said:

Yeah, you are never forced to tunnel if you don't care to win or lose. But if you want to win and you only see the unhooked guy you are forced to go for him instead of ignoring him and searching for someone who could be stealthy af.

That is not truly tunneling though. That is just bad luck for that survivor.

• HavelmomDaS1
    Orion said:

@lasombra1979 said:

@Orion said:

@lasombra1979 said:

If that's the only survivor you see, it's not really a choice. See the gun to the head example.

Exactly and my idea would at least give those killers who don't want to tunnel without loosing the match a tool to do so.
  • DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

Just give the person that's unhooked a speed boost after they're unhooked. Wouldn't solve it but would help at least

• G3tLoop3d21
    G3tLoop3d21 Member Posts: 4

I play for points, so I'm trying to get as many hits as possible. I feel that injured player is going to take the time to heal or have someone else heal them. I also should be chasing someone else who was on a gen at the time of the unhook anyways. Protecting gens is priority, and I feel you should keep pressure on all survivors as much as possible. Sure there are times when I do down the unhooked, but it wasn't because of tunneling. Just found them following their scratches. Can't tell you how many times I've left survivors alone to go check a gen or because someone with two hits passed me while I was in a chase. Plus I run BBQ, so I want to hook everyone at least once before I start dropping whoever I see.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2019
    For an anti tunnel idea you have to make it worthwhile for the killer to not down the one being unhooked, time is one of the most relevant factors for tunnelling.

Maybe by means of removing 15% of gen progression on each gen over 50% and 25% for each gen over 75% for hitting the unhooker, you also have to be at least 20m from the hook when they save for it to activate.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I could see something like this being a killer perk. But I doubt it would be a baseline ability.

• Fabyoulust
    Fabyoulust Member Posts: 27

So basically you want people to not unhook teammates and let them die? because non SWF will do just that

• HavelmomDaS1

So basically you want people to not unhook teammates and let them die? because non SWF will do just that

It's always smarter to bait the killer away from the unhooked guy, this is buying more time for the whole team. But many (stupid) survivors unhook and hide asap and leave the injured mate to be an easy prey for the killer.
  • darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2019

@Fabyoulust said:

Yep pretty much, very few solo are going to risk several seconds of aura reveal. Besides tunneling already has counters, get good at looping and pack insta heals. Make the tunneling tactic as expensive as possible for the killer.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    The only solution is "git gud" and don't get caught. The killer will go for the less "gud" survivor
  • HavelmomDaS1
    RoKrueger said:
    The only solution is "git gud" and don't get caught. The killer will go for the less "gud" survivor
    Huh?
  • t3hp0larbear
    t3hp0larbear Member Posts: 76
    The issue here is that everyone against tunnelling is making the mistake of assuming a killer won't do it.

On the occasions I play killer, if someone is ballsy enough to unhook a survivor without making sure I'm preoccupied with something else, of course I will go after the unhooked player. It is the killer's job to kill the survivors and the unhooked survivor is an easy target. If someone is going to make the mistake of doing a potentially unsafe hook rescue, then I will punish them by denying them the BP and emblem progress for a safe hook rescue.

The only anti-tunnel strategy that will work is to adapt your strategies according to how the killer plays. If you're insistent on saving people no matter the cost, then bring Borrowed Time and We'll Make It. Bring a flashlight and Sprint Burst/Balanced Landing and be the one to attempt to draw the killer away from the hook at bait so your teammates can attempt a safe rescue.

And I am a survivor main, been playing as one for 6 months with the occasional killer game because of dailies or because I'd like a brief change of pace. Of course I get annoyed when I get camped or tunneled, but when it happens I'm mature enough to realize that the only things to blame are bad luck, lack of foresight, and poor decisions on my part or my rescuer's part. In a trial, the killer is not your friend by any means and assuming they're going to play by some code of honor is how you set yourself up for a frustrating loss. It's nice when a killer passes up on an opportunity for an easy kill but nobody is obligated to give other players BP or emblems out of fairness.