The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The new momentum is really happening?

BlackReaper
BlackReaper Member Posts: 134
edited February 2019 in General Discussions

Im here guys to ask you if the new momentum mechanics is working for you, i mean if it's worthy and useful or you keep getting hit throw the window as always and the move when you finish the animation of vault keep getting stuck and be slow and not smooth.
I dont really feel nothing new with this adjusted mechanics and want to hear what you think about and if its need a higher momentum to not be worthless.

Comments

• Lagoni
    Lagoni Member Posts: 180

@BlackReaper said:
    Im here guys to ask you if the new momentum mechanics is working for you, i mean if it's worthy and useful or you keep getting hit throw the window as always and the move when you finish the animation of vault keep getting stuck and be slow and not smooth.
    I dont really feel nothing new with this adjusted mechanics and want to hear what you think about and if its need a higher momentum to not be worthless.

When i play survivor, I don't really notice it much either, but as killer it makes a HUGE difference. Some hits that would have definitely hit before, now whiff (which i think is bs). As a survivor i just don't think you notice it that much since you always expect to not get hit :P

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

It has made vaulting safer.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    edited February 2019

It would not affect getting hit through a window. The momentum change just fixed the jerky movement after you vaulted where you would briefly completely stop. It's more or less just cosmetic (you technically get back up to speed a fraction of a second faster after a vault, but if you already safely vaulted this is negligible).

Fast vaulting through a window will land you far enough away from the window that you cannot be hit, even before the change. Getting hit through a window while fast vaulting is usually down to latency, where you were still close enough on the killer's end when they swung. Medium and slow vaulting would leave you close enough to the window that the killer could still hit you through it unless you move, though you don't maintain as much momentum since you vaulted slowly.

Take a look here for an example (pre-change, for comparison): https://youtu.be/b2MB85sl7B8?t=10

Note how once he vaults the window, he completely stops. It's especially obvious when you pay attention to the camera, it moves smoothly before the vault, stops abruptly, and then starts moving smoothly again. This is the bit the change affected, but by the time you land on the other side of the window you either got hit or you didn't.

Short version, where you land is still based on the animation, it's really just a change to the "feel" of it after you vault. You don't come to a dead stop after you fast vault a window anymore. It's not going to make a difference between getting hit or not.

• Lagoni
    Lagoni Member Posts: 180

@Peanits said:
    It would not affect getting hit through a window. The momentum change just fixed the jerky movement after you vaulted where you would briefly completely stop. It's more or less just cosmetic (you technically get back up to speed a fraction of a second faster after a vault, but if you already safely vaulted this is negligible).

Fast vaulting through a window will land you far enough away from the window that you cannot be hit, even before the change. Getting hit through a window while fast vaulting is usually down to latency, where you were still close enough on the killer's end when they swung. Medium and slow vaulting would leave you close enough to the window that the killer could still hit you through it unless you move, though you don't maintain as much momentum since you vaulted slowly.

Take a look here for an example: https://youtu.be/b2MB85sl7B8?t=10

Note how once he vaults the window, he completely stops. It's especially obvious when you pay attention to the camera, it moves slowly before the vault, stops abruptly, and then starts moving smoothly again. This is the bit the change affected, but by the time you land on the other side of the window you either got hit or you didn't.

Short version, where you land is still based on the animation, it's really just a change to the "feel" of it after you vault. You don't come to a dead stop after you fast vault a window anymore. It's not going to make a difference between getting hit or not.

Well i have definitely been whiffing more attacks at vault spots after the update, but maybe its just people having worse pings, due to the event (more people = more queuing = worse matches). Thanks for clearing it up though.
    But more importantly HOW THE HELL WAS ALL THOSE FAST VAULTS!?

• BlackReaper

@Peanits said:

Take a look here for an example (pre-change, for comparison): https://youtu.be/b2MB85sl7B8?t=10

Note how once he vaults the window, he completely stops. It's especially obvious when you pay attention to the camera, it moves smoothly before the vault, stops abruptly, and then starts moving smoothly again. This is the bit the change affected, but by the time you land on the other side of the window you either got hit or you didn't.

Thanks for the advice, i thought that the change would be more deep in the gameplay and not just and a cosmetic improve.
    I ignored the distance of the window in the different vaults speed so thats really useful.
    Thx for the explain. :+1:

• BlackReaper

@Lagoni said:

@Peanits said:

Take a look here for an example: https://youtu.be/b2MB85sl7B8?t=10

Note how once he vaults the window, he completely stops. It's especially obvious when you pay attention to the camera, it moves slowly before the vault, stops abruptly, and then starts moving smoothly again. This is the bit the change affected, but by the time you land on the other side of the window you either got hit or you didn't.

Well i have definitely been whiffing more attacks at vault spots after the update, but maybe its just people having worse pings, due to the event (more people = more queuing = worse matches). Thanks for clearing it up though.
    But more importantly HOW THE HELL WAS ALL THOSE FAST VAULTS!?

A fast tip for you, the key of fast vault everything is press the spacebar as much delayed as you can, you cant imagine how close to a window can be and still fast vault it.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    I honestly feel a little immobilized after vaulting through a window medium speed during a chase but that may be the P2P. Like I feel since the change I'm just stuck there for the briefest of moments before continuing on, something I didn't feel before now.
  • BlackReaper

@Khroalthemadbomber said:
    I honestly feel a little immobilized after vaulting through a window medium speed during a chase but that may be the P2P. Like I feel since the change I'm just stuck there for the briefest of moments before continuing on, something I didn't feel before now.

For me is almost the same, its feels better but there is still (for me at least) a little break in the movement, less than before but still a think, thats why i ask if you guys feel it completely smooth or there still a little stop after vault.

• Marvett
    Marvett Member Posts: 159

Luckily dedicated servers should fix it , as long as the work is done properly.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@BlackReaper said:

Now I cant get window hits that I were able to get before the patch.
    Same with pallets

• Master

@Marvett said:
    Luckily dedicated servers should fix it , as long as the work is done properly.

Did you experience the recent patches? I doubt that dedicated servers will only improve stuff^^

• Marvett
    Marvett Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2019

@Master said:

Did you experience the recent patches? I doubt that dedicated servers will only improve stuff^^

of course I did , but my heart still believes in them
    (to be honest, I know that they will end up to break the ######### out of the game :'( )

• Master

@Marvett said:

@Master said:

of course I did , but my heart still believes in them
    (to be honest, I know that they will end up to break the ######### out of the game :'( )

I am almost certain that killer will be unplayable for a while, but we will see.