The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Nurse Mains come here please!

I want to know your builds.
What perks you use
and what add-ons

Comments

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

Perks:
    BBQ - always
    Ruin - basically if you are a top Nurse you don't need it, but if you are not - take it
    OR
    Shadowborn - wider screen = you can see where the survivors go after you hit them
    OR
    Bloodhound - helps around high walls where you don't see the survivor
    OR
    Stridor - helps, even better, with high walls - you can hear where you need to blink

No addons, they mess with your muscle memory.

• Kherma
    Kherma Member Posts: 24
    Lately i have tested many builds on Nurse. What build im going to use in a match depends of survivors or just my current mood.

Survivors bring lots of toolboxes: Ruin, surveillance, discordance, bitter murmur/pop goes the weasel.
    Slug build: Nurses calling, deerstalker, sloppy butcher, m&a/shadowborn.

These perks i use very often, not specific "build": Ruin, BBQ, shadowborn, surveillance, nurses calling, bitter murmur, pop goes the weasel and discordance.

Favorite add-on combo is anxious gasp and bad man keepsake. Increase the blink movement speed.
    And another combo is pocket watch and white nit comb for reduce the fatigue time.

On Nurse you could use almost any perks or add-ons and you still will be terrifying for survivors if you are good with her...
  • OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

I don't use Nurse, I can help you out though.

Enduring - helps your stun after warps, really.
    Play with your food - completely optional.
    Nurse's calling - useful for healing.
    Discordance - quick smack and locate.
    Blood Hound - Blood marks would help during warps, since she is slow.
    Shadowborn - Easier to spot after warps.
    Monitor and Abuse - Easy on the TR.

• popoles
    popoles Member Posts: 831

I don't use Nurse, I can help you out though.

Enduring - helps your stun after warps, really.
    Play with your food - completely optional.
    Nurse's calling - useful for healing.
    Discordance - quick smack and locate.
    Blood Hound - Blood marks would help during warps, since she is slow.
    Shadowborn - Easier to spot after warps.
    Monitor and Abuse - Easy on the TR.

Endurance does not affect the fatigue.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited February 2019

GRAVE DIGGER
    -Shadowborn
    -Stridor
    -Whispers
    -Blood Warden
    All skill build. Extremely scary if you are on point. Not for baby Nurses.

SAINT MISERY
    -BBQ Chilli
    -Nurse's Calling
    -Discordance
    -Shadowborn
    A core build. Nothing OP but easier to play than the previous one. You can swap Discordance to Ruin if you aren't that great with Nurse.

EDIT: Here is one more, but I've never actually used this build...

CRIPPLING DEPRESSION
    -Shadowborn
    -Sloppy Butcher
    -Ruin
    -NOED
    -Ataxic Respiration
    -Catatonic Boy's Treasure
    Omega blink with the 2 most powerful perks in the game plus a perk that makes healing take forever. Like I said I never used this but I imagine it would be absolutely awful to play against.

Post edited by thesuicidefox on
  • Zachzodia
    Zachzodia Member Posts: 9

I've been playing nurse for a long time and the best build i've used is ruin, bbq and chili, make your choice and nurses calling... i sometimes swap out make your choice for whispers or shadowborn depending on how i wanna play at the moment... as for addons, the most broken i'd say is ataxic respiration and fragile wheeze(considerably increased range + 1 additional blink with no negative parts). Ataxic respiration and catatonic boys treasure is also very good.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Nurse main here:

This is what I consider the best build for Nurse:
    -Ruin
    -BBQ
    -Nurse's Calling
    -Whispers

I see that some people have mentioned Shadowborn, so let me give you some advice. Don't use that perk. Shadowborn is essentially a wasted perk slot because you can play just fine without it.

I tend to use Ruin because even good Nurses get gen rushed.

I would also tell you that BBQ, NC, and Whispers are staples. You really want these perks in your build.

BBQ for obvious reasons.
    NC for obvious reasons as well.
    Whispers on the other hand seems to be less common. Probably because you need to use your brain with that perk. Whispers is terrific because it allows you to more effectively pressure all the survivors. Immersed survivors will have a difficult time evading you if Whispers is involved. All in all, Whispers is a reliable tracking perk.

Add ons:

For me, range add ons are very effective. Once you master Nurse without any add ons, you'll become a beast with range add ons. It will take several games to adjust to the extra range though.

The main reason you're supposed to start out playing with no add ons is so that you can learn all the mechanics and mind games.

• Mister_Holdout

@Zachzodia said:
    I've been playing nurse for a long time and the best build i've used is ruin, bbq and chili, make your choice and nurses calling... i sometimes swap out make your choice for whispers or shadowborn depending on how i wanna play at the moment... as for addons, the most broken i'd say is ataxic respiration and fragile wheeze(considerably increased range + 1 additional blink with no negative parts). Ataxic respiration and catatonic boys treasure is also very good.

Yeah, people are very quick to say omegablink Nurse is the most op. But honestly, I agree with you.

3 blinks + range is very nasty. If you're good with mind games as a survivor, you could potentially juke a Nurse with omegablink.

But with 3 blinks, it becomes extremely hard to juke the Nurse.

• thesuicidefox

@Mister_Holdout said:
    I see that some people have mentioned Shadowborn, so let me give you some advice. Don't use that perk. Shadowborn is essentially a wasted perk slot because you can play just fine without it.

The thing with Shadowborn on Nurse is that it makes is significantly harder, borderline impossible, to escape a chase from a good Nurse. Without it, survivors with IW and UE have opportunities to hide from you. With it, those opportunities are greatly reduced. It also helps a ton with corn vision, something that is the bane of the Nurse, as well as being a good way to locate survivors to start the chase. Sure you can play without it, but it makes things much MUCH easier because it basically makes up for her only shortcomings.

I don't disagree with you on Whispers though. It's an amazing perk on a lot of killers, and Nurse is no exception. However I do disagree with Ruin, only because if you are a solid Nurse it's not needed, almost a wasted perk slot. I prefer to play strong killers without Ruin for this reason. The only strong killer I believe Ruin is very much needed is Huntress because she is the only real slow killer in the game, as all other "slow" killers have a power that lets them get around faster. I also use Ruin on Hag, but that's more because it's her perk than because she needs it. I feel I could easily swap it with something like Sloppy or Devour and still have great results.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:

@Mister_Holdout said:

The thing with Shadowborn on Nurse is that it makes is significantly harder, borderline impossible, to escape a chase from a good Nurse. Without it, survivors with IW and UE have opportunities to hide from you. With it, those opportunities are greatly reduced. It also helps a ton with corn vision, something that is the bane of the Nurse, as well as being a good way to locate survivors to start the chase. Sure you can play without it, but it makes things much MUCH easier because it basically makes up for her only shortcomings.

I don't disagree with you on Whispers though. It's an amazing perk on a lot of killers, and Nurse is no exception. However I do disagree with Ruin, only because if you are a solid Nurse it's not needed, almost a wasted perk slot. I prefer to play strong killers without Ruin for this reason. The only strong killer I believe Ruin is very much needed is Huntress because she is the only real slow killer in the game, as all other "slow" killers have a power that lets them get around faster. I also use Ruin on Hag, but that's more because it's her perk than because she needs it. I feel I could easily swap it with something like Sloppy or Devour and still have great results.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

I had this conversation with a veteran Nurse main while he was giving me Nurse lessons (long ago). And he told me bluntly that Shadowborn is basically an addiction. It's a good perk that helps with fatigue, but otherwise you don't need it. Not to mention, this person is a Shadowborn user himself.

And through my own journey I've found that Shadowborn is indeed not necessary. I've played enough Nurse to be able to handle most situations.

Usually, when a survivor jukes me, it was because they broke line of sight and I wasn't able to get a read on them quickly enough. Shadowborn does help with this, but it's nothing major. Sometimes survivors can evade you naturally depending on where you hit them. I don't have any problems with corn or spotting survivors hiding next to gens.

Marth is a good example of a great Nurse that doesn't use Shadowborn. He plays without it and can still handle most chases.

Second point, there's nothing wrong with using Ruin. Gens can still pop fast even though you're ending chases quickly. Blinky Bill is a good example here. Back when this dude still played, he was so good that he could call out exactly how the survivor was going to react. But despite how good Blinky was, he still had games where all the gens got done. It didn't happen often, but it did happen nonetheless. That goes to show you that not even the Nurse is immune to gen rushing.

I use Ruin over Shadowborn because the chasing benefits are rather tenuous. With Ruin, I can have the entire game slowed down. Compare that to a perk that may or may not help with one chase.

• thesuicidefox

@Mister_Holdout I don't disagree that Ruin is the perk to use to slow the game down, my point is that it's pointless if you are a good Nurse. AFAIK most if not all of the top streamers/YT'ers that play killer don't use Ruin on Nurse because it's overkill. Like you could make the same argument for NOED as you can Ruin for any killer, Nurse included, but it doesn't change the fact that NOED Nurse is for those that lack skill. Nurse is good enough to play without either of these perks.

Also, to make a point, you can use Ruin and still get gen rushed if the survivors are good at hitting skill checks. I know I've had games with Ruin where 3 gens still get done in the first chase, and it wasn't even that long of a chase either. On top of the fact that good survivors know all the totem spawns (even the new ones since the last update) just proves further that Ruin or not, if survivors want to gen rush they will gen rush.

Again I never said you can't play well as Nurse without Shadowborn. But it makes up for the few weaknesses she has and can help you play that much better with her. Ruin doesn't offer that, it just passively slows down the game IF the survivors aren't good enough to counter it, and if that's the case you probably don't need it anyway. You only need it, ironically, against the ones that do know how to counter it because those are the games you want to slow down (but as it doesn't really help it's a bit of a moot point).

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:
    @Mister_Holdout I don't disagree that Ruin is the perk to use to slow the game down, my point is that it's pointless if you are a good Nurse. AFAIK most if not all of the top streamers/YT'ers that play killer don't use Ruin on Nurse because it's overkill. Like you could make the same argument for NOED as you can Ruin for any killer, Nurse included, but it doesn't change the fact that NOED Nurse is for those that lack skill. Nurse is good enough to play without either of these perks.

Also, to make a point, you can use Ruin and still get gen rushed if the survivors are good at hitting skill checks. I know I've had games with Ruin where 3 gens still get done in the first chase, and it wasn't even that long of a chase either. On top of the fact that good survivors know all the totem spawns (even the new ones since the last update) just proves further that Ruin or not, if survivors want to gen rush they will gen rush.

Again I never said you can't play well as Nurse without Shadowborn. But it makes up for the few weaknesses she has and can help you play that much better with her. Ruin doesn't offer that, it just passively slows down the game IF the survivors aren't good enough to counter it, and if that's the case you probably don't need it anyway. You only need it, ironically, against the ones that do know how to counter it because those are the games you want to slow down (but as it doesn't really help it's a bit of a moot point).

NOED is a wasted perk slot because in most cases survivors should not be getting all the gens done.

That's why you see Nurses using Ruin and Devour Hope. Because those perks provide a more immediate benefit.

Also, Ruin is more powerful on Nurse than you realize. If you have a skilled Nurse pressuring all the survivors, those skill checks become harder to hit.

I still see those survivor main streamers miss tons of skill checks. In many instances, they decide to go look for the totem. That buys me a lot of time I otherwise wouldn't have. Not to mention, I can use Whispers to guard Ruin. When you combine all those factors, Ruin in a lot of cases can slow the game to a crawl. It just depends on how well you can pressure with the Nurse.

Is it 100% consistent? No, but Ruin does slow down most games (by a favorable amount).

Lastly, I'm not sure where you get this notion that good Nurses shouldn't use Ruin? You said that it's overkill? Ruin isn't overkill. That perk ensures that survivors can't just pump through gens at the start of the match.

Overkill would be me using Fragile Wheeze + Ataxic Respiration and an Ebony Mori. Ruin simply buys me extra time while I build up my momentum. Could I play without Ruin? Sure, but it's a big help when dealing with experienced survivors.

Sounds to me like you've been watching too many survivor main streamers. These guys are constantly pushing the narrative that top tier killers should only be using certain perks. In many cases, they want their games to be easier so they continually make the point that good killers don't need Ruin.

If that's the case, then Marth must be a pretty crappy Nurse.

• thesuicidefox
    edited February 2019

@Mister_Holdout

1) Devour and Ruin are totally different type of perks. Not sure why you put them into the same category here.

2) NOED is a wasted perk slot on NURSE because they won't get gens done in the same way that Ruin is. And it's because she is strong enough to play without it and it's not going to be a huge problem for her usually .

3) I'm talking from experience. Both as survivor and as killer with Ruin. As survivor, I haven't even been phased by Ruin for some time now. I can power through gens and only lose a little bit of time if any because I can consistently hit great skill checks. And I've been in games, on both sides, where Ruin is still in play yet 3 gens get done super fast. And it's because the survivors in the game are like me, they hit great skill checks. Top tier survivors just don't care about Ruin. It's only effective against lower tier survivors, again in the same way that NOED is. But at the same time if you are a good Nurse then you will catch those survivors super fast anyway, making Ruin a moot perk.

4) Nurse doesn't need Ruin (or NOED) because she is plenty strong without it. You really are better off using tracking perks if you are a good Nurse, because you can win games easily without Ruin. I've done it without Ruin. I've face good Nurses without Ruin that do it. It's just not needed for her. Not saying Ruin can't do work to slow the game, but I am saying that Nurse is strong enough she doesn't need Ruin to slow the game.

5) I actually don't watch any survivor YT/streams. Just killer because watching survivor play is honestly boring AF.

6) "Marth must be a pretty crappy Nurse" LMAO did you really just say this? Marth is one of the best killers I've seen play this game. And it's not just him, Ardetha, Zubat, True. They all play Nurse without Ruin and say that it's not needed on her.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:
    @Mister_Holdout

1) Devour and Ruin are totally different type of perks. Not sure why you put them into the same category here.

2) NOED is a wasted perk slot on NURSE because they won't get gens done in the same way that Ruin is. And it's because she is strong enough to play without it and it's not going to be a huge problem for her usually .

3) I'm talking from experience. Both as survivor and as killer with Ruin. As survivor, I haven't even been phased by Ruin for some time now. I can power through gens and only lose a little bit of time if any because I can consistently hit great skill checks. And I've been in games, on both sides, where Ruin is still in play yet 3 gens get done super fast. And it's because the survivors in the game are like me, they hit great skill checks. Top tier survivors just don't care about Ruin. It's only effective against lower tier survivors, again in the same way that NOED is. But at the same time if you are a good Nurse then you will catch those survivors super fast anyway, making Ruin a moot perk.

4) Nurse doesn't need Ruin (or NOED) because she is plenty strong without it. You really are better off using tracking perks if you are a good Nurse, because you can win games easily without Ruin. I've done it without Ruin. I've face good Nurses without Ruin that do it. It's just not needed for her. Not saying Ruin can't do work to slow the game, but I am saying that Nurse is strong enough she doesn't need Ruin to slow the game.

5) I actually don't watch any survivor YT/streams. Just killer because watching survivor play is honestly boring AF.

6) "Marth must be a pretty crappy Nurse" LMAO did you really just say this? Marth is one of the best killers I've seen play this game. And it's not just him, Ardetha, Zubat, True. They all play Nurse without Ruin and say that it's not needed on her.

I'll try and reiterate my point again.

Can you play Nurse without Ruin? Yes.

Will Ruin come in handy against efficient survivors? Yes, because even good survivors feel the pressure of a Nurse breathing down their back. I can almost guarantee you that at least one survivor will be looking for the totem (probably more). And as I told you once before, not even the Nurse is immune to gen rush. It can happen.

I mentioned Devour Hope because it normally takes effect mid-game. By the time two or three gens get done, the Nurse will usually have her three tokens. Once Devour Hope takes effect, the game effectively comes to a complete halt. The Nurse now has a chance to do some serious damage.

NOED is an end game perk. Nurse normally doesn't need end game perks. Unless you were versing the depip squad.

Ruin and Devour Hope usually take effect during the main part of the trial. I don't know about you, but I would rather have my Hex take effect during the main part of the trial.

Why do I consider Shadowborn a wasted perk slot? Because you become reliant on it, not to mention, the benefits aren't even that good. That perk may save you the time of one or two chases. The slow down I get from Ruin is usually more significant than extra tracking. And honestly, if I wanted an extra tracking perk, I would probably take Bloodhound. That perk hard counters stealth. But more importantly, you can easily take the perk off and replace it with something else.

Lastly, the bit about Marth was a joke. As long as I can remember, Marth regularly used Ruin on his Nurse. That didn't mean he was inexperienced with Nurse, it just meant he understood how much Ruin slowed down the game. The same goes for Tru. He uses Ruin all the time.

I don't know about the other two. I'm assuming they're old school Nurses. Old school Nurses use BBQ, Shadowborn, NC, and Whispers. For some reason long ago, Shadowborn became popular on Nurse. The old school players never saw a need for changing. The classic Nurse build is still relevant today. But I'm willing to bet if those guys went up against the depip squad, they would want to equip Ruin. In fact, when Blinky Bill went against the depip squad he used Ruin : ) Why? Because he knew how bad the gen rushing was going to be.

The whole point of this thread was to discuss Nurse builds. In my view, Ruin will serve you better than Shadowborn.

My build which consists of Ruin, BBQ, NC, and Whispers is pretty much the ultimate Nurse build. Not only do you have plenty of tracking, but you have a perk which slows down the generators.

• thesuicidefox

@Mister_Holdout You are reiterating points I never actually disagreed with. Ruin IS the perk to slow the game. I'm just making the point that if you are good enough with Nurse, Ruin is not necessary and therefore becomes a wasted perk slot that you could instead use some sort of tracking perk (like Shadowborn) since that is her biggest weakness: finding and tracking survivors.

Ruin/BBQ/NC is a meta build for all killers, so to say it's somehow special on the Nurse is a bit overzealous.

Also regarding depip squad, when they faced @ScottJund 's Huntress he didn't use Ruin and he was the first only to pip against them. So if he can play against Depip Squad without Ruin on Huntress and win, then a God tier Nurse player can DEFINITELY do it too.

You're just talking in circles at this point. I'm not denying Ruin is a great perk. If you want to use it then fine I'm not saying don't. I AM saying that you shouldn't ever really NEED it as the Nurse if you are good enough.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:
    @Mister_Holdout You are reiterating points I never actually disagreed with. Ruin IS the perk to slow the game. I'm just making the point that if you are good enough with Nurse, Ruin is not necessary and therefore becomes a wasted perk slot that you could instead use some sort of tracking perk (like Shadowborn) since that is her biggest weakness: finding and tracking survivors.

Ruin/BBQ/NC is a meta build for all killers, so to say it's somehow special on the Nurse is a bit overzealous.

Also regarding depip squad, when they faced @ScottJund 's Huntress he didn't use Ruin and he was the first only to pip against them. So if he can play against Depip Squad without Ruin on Huntress and win, then a God tier Nurse player can DEFINITELY do it too.

You're just talking in circles at this point. I'm not denying Ruin is a great perk. If you want to use it then fine I'm not saying don't. I AM saying that you shouldn't ever really NEED it as the Nurse if you are good enough.

Just curious. Do you play on console or PC?

Also, I'm not sure why you're dismissing my point that Ruin is worth a perk slot.

I already told you that Ruin is very helpful when facing efficient SWF teams. Without it, you are liable to get gen rushed. If Blinky Bill (one of the top Nurse players) was capable of getting gen rushed, then it can happen to any Nurse.

I can even point you to another Legacy 3 Nurse that will tell you Sally isn't immune to gen rush.

And lastly, the fact that you mentioned ScottJund basically tells me where you get your opinions from.

ScottJund barely piped against a perkless depip squad.

If you knew about the rest of their games, you would know that only a handful of killers have piped against them while the squad was using perks. And guess what? They were all Nurses using tryhard setups.
    That's pretty scary when you think about it.

And what's even scarier is that the depip squad contains members who aren't that good at survivor. You can tell Marth is one of the weak links. Baefu on the other hand is quite good. The one thing they had in common was their ability to rush gens. Imagine if you had a depip squad comprised of experienced survivor mains. Players that can play survivor at a really optimal level. I don't think a Nurse would be able to beat that.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

BBQ, Whispers, Nurses and Shadowborn

You could use Ruin instead of Shadowborn, but you learn to pressure much faster as Ruin wont be carrying you vs average survivors who cant hit great skill checks.

• thesuicidefox

@Mister_Holdout said:

I play on Xbox, where people say Nurse is bad but she's really not. She's harder to learn no doubt, but she's still as strong as she is on PC. It's just that people don't want to put in the time to learn how to play her so you rarely ever run into a God tier Nurse on console. But I have, and trust me when I say she is not bad on console. Furthermore, these Nurse players didn't use Ruin and would still body us. They used all tracking perks (NC/BBQ/Shadowborn/Whispers usually).

Also, I'm not sure why you're dismissing my point that Ruin is worth a perk slot.

Because if you are a GOOD Nurse you don't need it.

I already told you that Ruin is very helpful when facing efficient SWF teams. Without it, you are liable to get gen rushed. If Blinky Bill (one of the top Nurse players) was capable of getting gen rushed, then it can happen to any Nurse.

I can even point you to another Legacy 3 Nurse that will tell you Sally isn't immune to gen rush.

Which I'm not denying, but that doesn't negate my point that if you are good Nurse you can play without Ruin and do just fine.

And lastly, the fact that you mentioned ScottJund basically tells me where you get your opinions from.

If you knew about the rest of their games, you would know that only a handful of killers have piped against them while the squad was using perks. And guess what? They were all Nurses using tryhard setups.

I do know about the rest of their games. I know that Freddy was actually the killer most likely to pip against them, which proved how OP Self Care is against him.

But again, Scott pipped against them without Ruin. Whether you want to nitpick the results, that's what went down. I watched the game, and he was basically slugging like crazy to slow the game. PROOF that you don't NEED Ruin if you are a good killer. Which he was playing Huntress, a killer I feel needs Ruin more than most, so if he can do that with Huntress then a GOOD Nurse player can definitely do it as well because Nurse is more powerful than Huntress.

And what's even scarier is that the depip squad contains members who aren't that good at survivor. You can tell Marth is one of the weak links. Baefu on the other hand is quite good. The one thing they had in common was their ability to rush gens. Imagine if you had a depip squad comprised of experienced survivor mains. Players that can play survivor at a really optimal level. I don't think a Nurse would be able to beat that.

Nurse can definitely beat it, she is probably the only killer that can WITHOUT Ruin. Look at the few tournaments that were done for DBD. Who was picked all the time? Nurse. Why? Because Nurse is super powerful.

Case and point Zubat just posted a video of him playing as Nurse WITHOUT Ruin, and yes while they got to exit gates he was also playing REALLY bad. He was missing blinks constantly, but he still got the 4k without Ruin. Had he been on point, they would have been lucky to get 3 gens done. No Ruin.

You keep trying to say she NEEDS Ruin, and I'm saying SHE DOES NOT NEED IT. If you want to use Ruin on Nurse that's fine, but that just means you are a weak Nurse player. Zubat could have put on Ruin to make up for his poor performance, but it doesn't change the fact that if he hit even half the blinks he messed up the survivors wouldn't have finished all the gens.

@Laakeri said:

You could use Ruin instead of Shadowborn, but you learn to pressure much faster as Ruin wont be carrying you vs average survivors who cant hit great skill checks.

Yes this exactly. Ruin is only going to work against average survivors, as top survivors will just hit great skill checks and/or destroy the totem in the first minute of the game. Nurse is strong enough she can forgo this for other perks, as she should dominate average survivors anyway. If you use Ruin on Nurse, and rely on it to slow the game, then truth be told you aren't a good Nurse. Average at best.

There are many top tier Nurse players that play without Ruin and dominate even against good survivors. PC or console, doesn't matter.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

The only strong killer I believe Ruin is very much needed is Huntress because she is the only real slow killer in the game, as all other "slow" killers have a power that lets them get around faster. I also use Ruin on Hag, but that's more because it's her perk than because she needs it. I feel I could easily swap it with something like Sloppy or Devour and still have great results.

I guess Huntress is the only 110% movement speed killer that doesn’t have a power that grants better mobility. However, Legion isn’t that mobile either. Sure their power grants mobility but they still have very little map pressure and don’t use their ability (nor can they) to get to one side of the map like Hag and Spirit.

I do believe that Ruin is kinda needed on every killer that isn’t named Nurse and Billy. Even Billy needs Ruin at times. Spirit and Hag DEFINITELY need Ruin against good survivors.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,136

I'm still learning Nurse (I play on the PS4), so I'm not using any add-ons. The perks I use are Nurse's Calling, BBQ, Whispers, and Bitter Murmur. I've never tried Shadowborn on her because it hasn't popped up in her Bloodweb.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:

@Mister_Holdout said:

I play on Xbox, where people say Nurse is bad but she's really not. She's harder to learn no doubt, but she's still as strong as she is on PC. It's just that people don't want to put in the time to learn how to play her so you rarely ever run into a God tier Nurse on console. But I have, and trust me when I say she is not bad on console. Furthermore, these Nurse players didn't use Ruin and would still body us. They used all tracking perks (NC/BBQ/Shadowborn/Whispers usually).
    So you're lecturing me on Nurse even though you don't play on PC? I hate to break it to you, but PC and console are entirely different animals. The skill caps are much different. You haven't encountered players that really know how to play the game. I'm not trying to be snide here, it's simply the truth.

Because if you are a GOOD Nurse you don't need it.
    You may not need it every game, but there will be times when it is needed.

Which I'm not denying, but that doesn't negate my point that if you are good Nurse you can play without Ruin and do just fine.
    Sure, that's true in a lot of cases. But if you face off against an efficient team, then you're going to get gen rushed.

I do know about the rest of their games. I know that Freddy was actually the killer most likely to pip against them, which proved how OP Self Care is against him.
    Freddy? The killer that gave them the most difficulty was Nurse.
    But again, Scott pipped against them without Ruin. Whether you want to nitpick the results, that's what went down. I watched the game, and he was basically slugging like crazy to slow the game. PROOF that you don't NEED Ruin if you are a good killer. Which he was playing Huntress, a killer I feel needs Ruin more than most, so if he can do that with Huntress then a GOOD Nurse player can definitely do it as well because Nurse is more powerful than Huntress.
    You know what? There's no point in arguing this. I personally think that match was a fluke but whatever. As you may know, the depip squad is continuing their experiment. Let's see if they have another match. I will tell you however that previous Huntresses have not fared well against them. One of the Huntresses they beat was also a Huntress streamer. And guess what? They got wrecked because by this time the depip squad had fallen in to their groove.

Nurse can definitely beat it, she is probably the only killer that can WITHOUT Ruin. Look at the few tournaments that were done for DBD. Who was picked all the time? Nurse. Why? Because Nurse is super powerful.
    It really depends on what each side is using. Is the Nurse bringing her tryhard setup? Or, are the survivors bringing their tryhard setup? I would say that a perkless Nurse could realistically 2k verse a team of perkless survivors (I'm assuming that the survivors are good btw).
    Case and point Zubat just posted a video of him playing as Nurse WITHOUT Ruin, and yes while they got to exit gates he was also playing REALLY bad. He was missing blinks constantly, but he still got the 4k without Ruin. Had he been on point, they would have been lucky to get 3 gens done. No Ruin.
    That's funny because I was going to link you that video. But as I thought, these are the guys you get your opinions from. Now I watched this video. And honestly, Zubat did not play terrible. His blinks were still pretty accurate. But there were two things I noticed:

1. Zubat is obviously used to range add ons. That's part of why he missed some of his blinks. Not that it mattered anyway. He was able to quickly follow up and down the survivor. That's not "playing REALLY bad"
    2. It seemed to me the gen rush was getting to him. When you get pressured really hard, mistakes are more likely to happen. This is a natural phenomenon.

Lastly, it's worth pointing out that those weren't even good survivors. They played a lot worse than Zubat did. How do I know? Because most of them weren't even looking behind them! Any decent survivor on PC knows that you have to look behind you in order to anticipate which direction the Nurse is coming from and how far away she is. You can't reliably mind game a Nurse without looking behind you. These survivors were just using their Dead Hard without even looking behind them.

If Zubat faced skilled survivors, he would have had a MUCH harder time. I've played enough Nurse on PC to be able to recognize good survivors.

You keep trying to say she NEEDS Ruin, and I'm saying SHE DOES NOT NEED IT. If you want to use Ruin on Nurse that's fine, but that just means you are a weak Nurse player. Zubat could have put on Ruin to make up for his poor performance, but it doesn't change the fact that if he hit even half the blinks he messed up the survivors wouldn't have finished all the gens.
    Woah woah there pal. Where did you get the idea that using Ruin means you're a weak Nurse player?

Because that would mean Marth and Blinky Bill are Weak Nurses. And for the record, Blinky did have Ruin when he faced off against the depip squad.

And as I said, those survivors he versed were not good survivors. They weren't even looking behind them.
    So in reality Zubat's "poor" performance wasn't as much as of a determining factor as the poor performance of those survivors.

@Laakeri said:

Yes this exactly. Ruin is only going to work against average survivors, as top survivors will just hit great skill checks and/or destroy the totem in the first minute of the game. Nurse is strong enough she can forgo this for other perks, as she should dominate average survivors anyway. If you use Ruin on Nurse, and rely on it to slow the game, then truth be told you aren't a good Nurse. Average at best.

There are many top tier Nurse players that play without Ruin and dominate even against good survivors. PC or console, doesn't matter.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox No idea why my comment got layered like that. Just read the entire thing, all my comments are there.

• Mister_Holdout

@Laakeri said:

That's not necessarily true. I can still find survivors very quickly with just Whispers.

And as I told the other guy, those skill checks become a lot harder to hit when you have a Nurse breathing down everyone's neck. In most cases, at least one or two survivors branch off and go look for Ruin.

• thesuicidefox
    edited February 2019

@Mister_Holdout said:
    That's funny because I was going to link you that video. But as I thought, these are the guys you get your opinions from. Now I watched this video. And honestly, Zubat did not play terrible. His blinks were still pretty accurate. But there were two things I noticed:

And I actually do not get my opinion from other people. I get my opinion from my own experiences, and these guy back it up with their experiences/opinion. Like I said, I've played God tier Nurses ON CONSOLES that did not use Ruin and they bodied us. And yes those games had very good survivors, me included. We got gens done but not fast enough to get to the gates. Those games ended up being hatch games and if someone hatched it was either because the killer just kind of let them or because they got really lucky (I was one of those survivors to get hatch because I was lucky she didn't know where the hatch was).

1. Zubat is obviously used to range add ons. That's part of why he missed some of his blinks. Not that it mattered anyway. He was able to quickly follow up and down the survivor. That's not "playing REALLY bad"
    2. It seemed to me the gen rush was getting to him. When you get pressured really hard, mistakes are more likely to happen. This is a natural phenomenon.

It is playing bad though, look how many blinks he missed. Whether you want to blame the add-ons or not, he was messing up A LOT. If he had messed up even just 50% less they wouldn't have gotten to the exit gates. Regardless he still got the job done without Ruin.

Lastly, it's worth pointing out that those weren't even good survivors. They played a lot worse than Zubat did. How do I know? Because most of them weren't even looking behind them! Any decent survivor on PC knows that you have to look behind you in order to anticipate which direction the Nurse is coming from and how far away she is. You can't reliably mind game a Nurse without looking behind you. These survivors were just using their Dead Hard without even looking behind them.

If Zubat faced skilled survivors, he would have had a MUCH harder time. I've played enough Nurse on PC to be able to recognize good survivors.

Yes those survivors weren't amazing, but that doesn't mean that if Zubat was hitting blinks and not messing up that he would still get gen rushed. It was a pretty close game all around. If the survivors were better then he would have lost PURELY because he messed up as much as he did. If they were good survivors and he didn't mess up then the outcome would have more or less been the same. Nothing you said here proves that he NEEDED Ruin.

Woah woah there pal. Where did you get the idea that using Ruin means you're a weak Nurse player?
    Because that would mean Marth and Blinky Bill are Weak Nurses. And for the record, Blinky did have Ruin when he faced off against the depip squad.

I mean consistently using Ruin on Nurse. I can understand putting it on for games where you see 4 toolboxes or something, but if you use it ALL THE TIME then yes, it means you are a weak Nurse player because she just doesn't need it, flat out. She can completely dominate teams without Ruin, she is really the only killer that can do this consistently if you are good enough. IDK which match was Blinky versus Depip squad (I probably watched it but dunno who this person is), but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they powered through the Ruin as if it weren't even there OR found the totem super fast (because this was the case 90% of the time when a killer had Ruin). Therefore it stands to reason that the game would have progressed more or less the same even if he did not have Ruin.

Also Marth does not use Ruin on Nurse AFAIK. And a lot of other YT'ers that play Nurse often don't use Ruin. Again IDK who this Blinky guy is, but it honestly sounds to me like he's not THAT great of a Nurse player if he is always using Ruin. IDC what else you say about him, as a Nurse you don't need to rely on Ruin.

@Mister_Holdout said:
    And as I told the other guy, those skill checks become a lot harder to hit when you have a Nurse breathing down everyone's neck. In most cases, at least one or two survivors branch off and go look for Ruin.

Not true. It doesn't make a lick of difference to good survivors. The only thing they would do if they felt threatened would be stop doing the gen and hide/run, which is independent of the effects of Ruin. If survivors mess up skill checks when you get closer chances are they aren't good survivors.

• Mister_Holdout

@thesuicidefox said:

@Mister_Holdout said:

And I actually do not get my opinion from other people. I get my opinion from my own experiences, and these guy back it up with their experiences/opinion. Like I said, I've played God tier Nurses ON CONSOLES that did not use Ruin and they bodied us. And yes those games had very good survivors, me included. We got gens done but not fast enough to get to the gates. Those games ended up being hatch games and if someone hatched it was either because the killer just kind of let them or because they got really lucky (I was one of those survivors to get hatch because I was lucky she didn't know where the hatch was).

It is playing bad though, look how many blinks he missed. Whether you want to blame the add-ons or not, he was messing up A LOT. If he had messed up even just 50% less they wouldn't have gotten to the exit gates. Regardless he still got the job done without Ruin.

Yes those survivors weren't amazing, but that doesn't mean that if Zubat was hitting blinks and not messing up that he would still get gen rushed. It was a pretty close game all around. If the survivors were better then he would have lost PURELY because he messed up as much as he did. If they were good survivors and he didn't mess up then the outcome would have more or less been the same. Nothing you said here proves that he NEEDED Ruin.

I mean consistently using Ruin on Nurse. I can understand putting it on for games where you see 4 toolboxes or something, but if you use it ALL THE TIME then yes, it means you are a weak Nurse player because she just doesn't need it, flat out. She can completely dominate teams without Ruin, she is really the only killer that can do this consistently if you are good enough. IDK which match was Blinky versus Depip squad (I probably watched it but dunno who this person is), but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they powered through the Ruin as if it weren't even there OR found the totem super fast (because this was the case 90% of the time when a killer had Ruin). Therefore it stands to reason that the game would have progressed more or less the same even if he did not have Ruin.

Also Marth does not use Ruin on Nurse AFAIK. And a lot of other YT'ers that play Nurse often don't use Ruin. Again IDK who this Blinky guy is, but it honestly sounds to me like he's not THAT great of a Nurse player if he is always using Ruin. IDC what else you say about him, as a Nurse you don't need to rely on Ruin.

@Mister_Holdout said:

Not true. It doesn't make a lick of difference to good survivors. The only thing they would do if they felt threatened would be stop doing the gen and hide/run, which is independent of the effects of Ruin. If survivors mess up skill checks when you get closer chances are they aren't good survivors.

I'm not sure if you read all of my comment because it got layered weird, but I basically said I found it interesting that you would lecture me on Nurse when you don't even play on PC. As I explained, PC and console are two completely different animals. The skill caps are a lot different. PC is where you find the players that really know how to play. Not trying to be snide here, just stating the simple truth.

As for Zubat, there's no point in arguing. I felt he played reasonably well. And because I play Nurse at rank 1 on PC, I knew immediately that those were bad survivors. Good survivors are always looking behind them. It was clear that Zubat was getting gen rushed because he even commented in a surprised tone on how fast they were doing gens. But it's whatever.

Also, Marth most certainly used Ruin a lot back in the day. Go watch his old videos. Nearly all of them show him using Ruin.

And Blinky for the record is one of the best Nurse players ever. Unfortunately, he doesn't stream anymore. But people who followed him knew how good he was. Blinky was an old school Nurse player. He used: BBQ, NC, Whispers, and Shadowborn. But when he went against the depip squad, Blinky threw on Ruin. As good as Blinky was, he knew he would need Ruin to stand a chance. And guess what? He still lost.

My Last point. Your view that only weak Nurses use Ruin is misguided. Don't believe me? Well it just so happens I have a couple of recorded Nurse games on my YouTube channel (Mister Holdout). Not trying to advertise or anything, but those videos are there if you want to see a Nurse main on PC in action. They aren't anything special because I only streamed a few times. And every Nurse game I played was recorded and put on YouTube. That way people could see what my average games look like, not highlights. There's even a match where I played on Haddonfield.

P.S. I have 1000 hours on Xbox. So I know the console community pretty well. Which means I have tons of experience with Nurse.

• thesuicidefox
    edited February 2019

@Mister_Holdout said:
    I'm not sure if you read all of my comment because it got layered weird, but I basically said I found it interesting that you would lecture me on Nurse when you don't even play on PC. As I explained, PC and console are two completely different animals. The skill caps are a lot different. PC is where you find the players that really know how to play. Not trying to be snide here, just stating the simple truth.

No dude there are really good players on console, just not as many because 1) the population is lower and 2) most players don't put in the time to get better. But trust me when I say there are plenty of really good survivors and killers. Someone had made a post a while ago about playing on all 3 platforms, and he even stated that Xbox is most difficult because it's more SWF and the good players are really good. PC has a higher ratio of bad survivors to good survivors, but because they just have a sheer larger number of players that means more good survivors exist on that platform (along with more BAD survivors). But Xbox (at least) has a better ratio of good to bad survivors, just with a lower population it means there are actually fewer of the good survivors to run into.

It's why I made the point that just because majority of Nurses are bad on console DOES NOT make her a bad killer on console. If you run into a player that put in the time to learn her, she is just as devastating as she is on PC.

And Blinky for the record is one of the best Nurse players ever. Unfortunately, he doesn't stream anymore. But people who followed him knew how good he was. Blinky was an old school Nurse player. He used: BBQ, NC, Whispers, and Shadowborn. But when he went against the depip squad, Blinky threw on Ruin. As good as Blinky was, he knew he would need Ruin to stand a chance. And guess what? He still lost.

So then he doesn't use Ruin except in extreme circumstances which I already said was acceptable. If he used Ruin on Nurse EVERY GAME then he can't be that good of a Nurse player. If he used it rarely, against groups that he knew were going to rush gens, that's a different story.

My Last point. Your view that only weak Nurses use Ruin is misguided.

It does though because she doesn't need it. This is what you keep glossing over. A GOOD NURSE DOES NOT NEED RUIN TO WIN EVERY GAME. Using Ruin on Nurse all the time will indeed make you a weaker Nurse because you are relying on Ruin to slow the game instead of using her incredible power to do it. If you're favorite Blinky doesn't use it most of the time then that kinda proves my point.