Campers

Options
commtech
commtech Member Posts: 18
Im a survivor / killer split but I personally never camp!

Im curious to hear both sides of the argument. List if you are a killer or survivor and give your opinion on the camping situation.

Comments

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

Camping is fine.
    Unfun, but a necessary part of the game considering how quick survivors can recover if you let them unchecked.

As long as you camp for appropriate reasons, and not for the sake of being toxic, it's allright.

• Canextro
    Canextro Member Posts: 71
    Options

I play both. I never camp but often find myself losing because of it unless I play Billy. The issue with this new emblem system is that every survivor thirsts for objective points. Previously, the game was balanced because nobody was very fond of doing them, yet today you can chase and hook one guy and potentially have 2 gens done, even if a chase isn't exceedingly long. I don't want people to respond with "you're just a bad killer" because I know I'm not. I play a lot of killer and have gotten very good at it. The only real issue is that I play really fair thus throwing balance out of the window.

However, the reason I play fairly is because it is very unfair to other survivors if they are camped. Every survivor deserves a full chance, There are up to three hooks before death for a reason, not so that a survivor sits through all three stages and dies due to camping and or tunneling. Especially if a survivor isn't toxic and plays remotely fairly, there is no reason why they should be punished for playing the game. I understand why killers feel the need to camp though nowadays. It has gotten way out of hand with gen rushing. Not necessarily because survivors are trying to get out quick, but simply because they wish to rank up and thus need objective points each game.

I do like this new emblem system, but in my opinion, it has thrown off the balance of the game completely. Unless a killer plays unfairly, it is significantly harder to get kills with this new system.

(Sorry I kinda broke away a bit from the original topic. Been on my mind and I thought I'd rant)

• Canextro
    Options

@ZombieGenesis said:
    You're deciding what's fair for everyone that plays the game. You don't play "fair" you play how you want. The idea of fair is subjective and up to each individual to decide for themselves.

The game intends survivors to be rescued so they can recover and get another chance, hence the three hook stages. The tutorial didn't have the trapper standing directly in front of the hook slapping her back down the minute she got off, now did it? LOL

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

@Canextro said:

@ZombieGenesis said:
    You're deciding what's fair for everyone that plays the game. You don't play "fair" you play how you want. The idea of fair is subjective and up to each individual to decide for themselves.

The game intends survivors to be rescued so they can recover and get another chance, hence the three hook stages. The tutorial didn't have the trapper standing directly in front of the hook slapping her back down the minute she got off, now did it? LOL

The game wasn't intended for SWF comms either...

And second chance perks and free hatch escapes either was it?

Rethink what you said.

You are not entitled to survive. I'll patrol camp 1 survivor if they are all around the hook. What am I supposed to do? Let them get them off in front of me? lol

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,116
    Options

@Canextro said:

I do like this new emblem system, but in my opinion, it has thrown off the balance of the game completely. Unless a killer plays unfairly, it is significantly harder to get kills with this new system.

(Sorry I kinda broke away a bit from the original topic. Been on my mind and I thought I'd rant)

I play pretty "fair" too, a lot of self-imposed rules and regulations on what I will and will not do regarding the survivors (I main survivor as I love the tense, hide&seek aspect). Usually this means four escape, and I'm a bad killer, and other killers laugh but their reputations are all in the negative (at least on one platform I play). I don't mind this, as I still get bloodpoints, and think I'm an excellent first-killer for new players. I show them the ropes and they get a good feel for how the game plays, without being focused or learning the hard way (on a hook).

The point is that I have fun, and they have fun (I give them a good chase, don't get me wrong) and I think the point of video games is that win or lose we're all having a good time. It's fun to win, certainly; but if I have to win by abusing shady tactics or making other players angry, I don't care to win. You might be a killer whose purpose is to sacrifice, but you're playing against people, not NPCs. I get some "eager" players with flashlights or teabags, but once they realize I'm not a camper (or a threat, really ~_~) they lighten up and I get some Thank You's after the match.

Players on both sides have strings of bad games, and sometimes it can affect your behavior in the next match, even if the opposing side doesn't deserve the animosity. As long as we can relax a little, have a good time in a game, and we're all getting progress toward more levels/clothes/items it should be okay. =)

• Canextro
    Options

@Dwight_Confusion said:

@Canextro said:

@ZombieGenesis said:

The game wasn't intended for SWF comms either...

And second chance perks and free hatch escapes either was it?

Rethink what you said.

You are not entitled to survive. I'll patrol camp 1 survivor if they are all around the hook. What am I supposed to do? Let them get them off in front of me? lol

I never said that survivors are "entitled" to survive. That's dumb. I said they deserve a free chance as they game intends unless they have proven to deserve camping. Also believe me, I'm not saying that voice comms and get out of jail free cards are fair. I know that this game is unbalanced in a slew of ways. I just mainly believe that gen rushing and camping go hand in hand. All those other things have nothing to do with the original post... it's solely about camping

• Canextro
    Options

@Coriander said:

@Canextro said:

I play pretty "fair" too, a lot of self-imposed rules and regulations on what I will and will not do regarding the survivors (I main survivor as I love the tense, hide&seek aspect). Usually this means four escape, and I'm a bad killer, and other killers laugh but their reputations are all in the negative (at least on one platform I play). I don't mind this, as I still get bloodpoints, and think I'm an excellent first-killer for new players. I show them the ropes and they get a good feel for how the game plays, without being focused or learning the hard way (on a hook).

The point is that I have fun, and they have fun (I give them a good chase, don't get me wrong) and I think the point of video games is that win or lose we're all having a good time. It's fun to win, certainly; but if I have to win by abusing shady tactics or making other players angry, I don't care to win. You might be a killer whose purpose is to sacrifice, but you're playing against people, not NPCs. I get some "eager" players with flashlights or teabags, but once they realize I'm not a camper (or a threat, really ~_~) they lighten up and I get some Thank You's after the match.

Players on both sides have strings of bad games, and sometimes it can affect your behavior in the next match, even if the opposing side doesn't deserve the animosity. As long as we can relax a little, have a good time in a game, and we're all getting progress toward more levels/clothes/items it should be okay. =)

Believe me I value that completely. My motto kinda is if I'm playing killer, I want to make the game enjoyable for each survivor too. That's essentially the point of a video game after all. I just wish all the negativity of the game didn't exist due to some balance issues like camping and gen rushing is all. People get really upset over these things which can be understandable at times. I try to limit that personally, usually at the expense of kills and "winning". It's always nice to have survivors occasionally thank you for playing fair.

• Canextro
    Options

@ZombieGenesis said:

@Canextro said:

@ZombieGenesis said:

Tutorial didn't show any flashlight blinding, looping, or body blocking so you should put the word out that survivors need to stop doing that ASAP.

Once again, this thread is about camping. I understand that the game is unbalanced in many other aspects but that isn't what this topic is about.

• Canextro
    Options

@ZombieGenesis said:
    You brought up the video, not me.

The video...? You mean the tutorial? I only brought that up to demonstrate how the game is supposed to played out.

• Canextro
    Options

@ZombieGenesis said:
    You're talking in circles. So the tutorial is okay to use when you want but not okay when it pokes holes in your story? Got it. Moving on then.

How does that "poke holes" in my story at all? Explain.

• Canextro
    edited June 2018
    Options

@ZombieGenesis said:
    You declared it invalid to use against you. I'd hate to go against the arbiter of all that is fair and just in the world of DbD. Again, moving on.

How do other imbalances in the game disprove my arguments and beliefs on one specific imbalance? I never said that things like pallet looping, flashlights, and SWF was fair. I agree that they are imbalanced. But this thread is about CAMPING. I am not saying anything about those other issues. I'm talking about one issue, the one that this entire thread is about.

• Azgard12
    Azgard12 Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2018
    Options

Camping is fine. In general, it is to the killer's DISadvantage to camp, but sometimes it is important to them.

That said, camping creates a negative play experience for the person on the hook. It also is boring for the killer in my opinion.

To reduce this, I wish survivors were sacrificed slower while on the hook with the killer next to them. People would still camp, but there would be less reason to do it.

Post edited by Azgard12 on
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited June 2018
    Options

Camping is a serious problem with the emblems for the simple fact that the killer can basically depip/safety pip everyone by camping every survivor they catch. The emblems FORCE YOU to save someone to rank up, if you don't then bye bye Benevolence. If the killer didn't catch anyone until gens are almost done, they can basically make sure no one pips by camping. The only way to pip against a camper is to do 3 gens BY YOURSELF, escape without getting downed, and escaping at least 1 30 second chase. Good luck with that when there are 3 other survivors gen rushing YOU.

Like I get why killers camp because they have to sometimes, but the way the emblems work it's like they can go "well if I don't pip neither does anyone else", then camps someone to death and maybe even gets a second or third kill because survivors are again FORCED to go for the save. Yea the killer loses too when they camp, but it's damn near impossible to pip when you are guaranteed NOTHING in 1 whole category.

And there is nothing you can do to stop a camper. BT doesn't help either if the killer is right there waiting, it just means you trade places on the hook and STILL depip because of Benevolence (and now also Unbroken). It's really dumb that you can lose points in an emblem and can't recover.

At least before if the killer decided to camp is wasn't a guaranteed depip/safety, it was actually a very poor tactic. But now that I'm literally forced to save someone I can't save it is the most trolly thing you can do as a killer.