DBD has lost 27% of players and it's falling.

Comments

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

I agree with your statement, you don't want designers fixing programming bugs.

But, that's why companies have management and direction. There's someone right now hiring designers and allocating resources into the cosmetic department, while other areas are clearly lacking those personnel and resources.

There are huge game breaking bugs that have been around for a real long time now. I think they should prioritize fixing the game.

• Blue_Diamond
    Blue_Diamond Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2019

Or maybe its time for high school exams, APs are around the corner, SATs coming up, its tax season.

You have to consider relevant outside factors when determining trends and allow for an appropriate corresponding margin of error.

DBD is a fighter. Most A-Sym games don't last this long. Don't lose hope for it.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    edited March 2019

I mean you also forgot the new matchmaking system is a joke survivors and killers are getting people from africa and their pings are horrible i had 7 queues as killer and survivor vs red pings over 400 mostly because the new matchmaking is stupid and gives you killers and survivors from pluto PLUS ALL THE BUGS like seriously fix your game behavior. but yeah most of what you covered plus matchmaking is what is making dbd stale.

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238

This is bad?

• edogast
    edogast Member Posts: 148

looks at Hex : Ruin and Hillbilly with BBQ and Chili

Need I say more?

• esn23
    esn23 Member Posts: 56

I think more of the quits is due to swf and high ranking survivors queuing with lower ranked survivors to go against low rank killers.. Think about it you start a game as a killer brand new to the game.. You go against 2 rank 1s 1 rank 4 and one rank 20 (your rank) and you get destroyed by great survivors.. Would you want to play after that lol..

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited March 2019

I will just say that I really would like to see DBD on Xbox Games For Gold, if only so I can have my friends that don't play download the game to own for free and try to get some of them to come play with me. I know 1 friend in particular would NEVER play this game, but he would download it if it were free and I asked him to. If I get him to do that I can sucker him into at least trying the game, we've been friends for over a decade I'll have him play with me as an Xmas gift or something.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

The new DLC will probably be released in a couple of hours. Let's wait a bit and see how it affects the player count. Afterwards, we can have a better discussion.

• PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

Still looks like a rather normal trend but yes, there are quite a few things that need a fix and I guess more people will quit dbd if they don't take care of those soon, regardless of DLCs or free weekends.

Broken matchmaking, poorly designed Killers, the upcoming ranking system adjustments and the SWF imbalances, just to name a few.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

Hopefully it’s just a weekday thing that isn’t letting people play as much as others. When school is over for the week and people have a weekend off we should see a rise....

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

When school is over, more people will play a horror game.^^

Nice logic. Maybe we can see the issue with the toxic community here.

Maybe those are not manbabies… but real kiddos. XD

• Speshul_Kitten

How are you putting students and toxic together in one? Better yet, I like how you assume I’m talking about high school and below when “school” encompasses college/universities as well. Kinda shows me where you peaked though lmao

• Wolf74

@Speshul_Kitten

Nice assumption. But I made my BA already, so stop spitting nonsense like that, thx.

Maybe you should make up your mind, this is an international forum and I am from Germany, if we (Germans) talk about "school", we talk about kids and teenager.

Take a "peek over the edge of the plate". (Germany saying for thinking outside the box/outside your own small world)

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Too late, the smoke you see is from a fire. I've been watching the downward trend for a while. People I know who love this game, but just can't play anymore. Not burn out, just absolute disgust at the direction, uninstalled and moved on. Though it is small sample sizes, I can still see the changes over the forums, streamers, content creators and Steam numbers.

We've hit the iceberg, and everybody is ignoring it.

• Speshul_Kitten

Lmao no you don’t. When I say context of school in “years” for example year 10, then you’re talking about younger school. Since I said school you should assume it’s in general. Stop thinking everyone lives in Germany. Like I said, shows where you peaked.

• Wolf74

@Speshul_Kitten

Oh boy… you really "lmao" about that?

I don't need to reply to that anymore, you can embarrass yourself pretty well without me.

• Speshul_Kitten

Nice try but you kinda uber screwed yourself when you thought school meant just kids. so yeah, lmao.

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809

DBD won't last the 5 yrs said then

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2019

Game numbers look fine to me. at 23k right now with a 25k peak over the last 24 hours. 20k - 25k is pretty much the norm.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

You're taking this killer thing pretty well aren't ya?

• Sinner
    Sinner Member Posts: 334
  • Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited March 2019

Yeah, I've been watching this as well, and the numbers are definitely dropping. Earlier this week, Peanut claimed it was normal and would rise with the release of the new chapter. Well, that didn't happen. So what's the next excuse?

• snowflake102
    snowflake102 Member Posts: 2,188
  • snowflake102

i dont see what you mean and i just checked it and its the same player count when i check last time. So is this a bait thread?

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

it's dropped slightly since the dlc release. Making it an even 30% loss now.

• snowflake102

oh ok then. but it will get go up and down thats how its been doing for the past years right?

• SmokePotion
    edited March 2019

some up and down is normal, yes.

You aren't supposed to lose a years worth of growth like this.

• No1TheLarch
    No1TheLarch Member Posts: 221

For the love of the game please rework Franks Mix Tape, and Prayer beads as well as FIXING THE DANG LOADING SCREENS. I, for one, will not buy another thing in the game until the loading screens are patched.

• SmokePotion
    edited March 2019

numbers are worse today then i've seen in a long time. but i have hope the lobby code reverting will help.

It's weird that my lobby times are better now then they were before. and there's less people playing.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Been sitting waiting for my second game now for maybe 30 mins?

Last killer was rank 18 and I'm 11 rn.

Matchmaking is still a mess.

• Kilmeran
    edited March 2019

Unfortunately, a majority of players don't visit the forums, so they won't even see the revert announcement. Most players either play a game, or don't. And the numbers were already dropping, They didn't even get the normal boost for the DLC release this time. If this fiasco drove more players away to play something else, there is a strong possibility that they will be playing whatever other game for the next month or two, if not a lot longer.

I've seen games from much larger and experienced game studios completely screw the pooch on their matchmaking before, and drive a lot of players away. What I haven't seen yet is them fully recovering from it.

Behavior was warned about all this when the stuff was on PTR. They have no one to blame but themselves. This damage was self-inflicted, and whatever fallout is deserved. Maybe in the future, they'll actually listen to PTR feedback. They already had Deathgarden die at birth, they really can't afford to be strangling DbD right now.

Personally, I'm giving them one more shot at fixing this sorry excuse for a matchmaker. One more. If they can't do it with the next matchmaker patch, I'm just uninstalling the game and washing my hands of Behavior and their products.

• Deltin
    Deltin Member Posts: 240

reasons why:

bad match making

my pc broke

the new bloody emblem update is so sh*t that even pro's find it hard to double pip.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Imho the biggest issues for players are the dc's, the matchmaking and the content of the last two chapters. Players were hyped for the Clown and were very happy about Kate, players loved the Spirit...

• Kilmeran
    edited March 2019

Indeed. And those exact thoughts have crossed my mind several times already. Especially since there was a post a week or three ago that linked to the deal Behavior made with Starbreeze to purchase DbD in its entirety, and it involved Starbreeze getting a huge chunk of DbD revenue until the purchase price was paid off. In other words, they are paying Starbreeze in installment plans from a majority of their sales revenue.

We can only assume that process is still taking place, since there was never a follow-up that stated they've "completed" the purchase and are finally free-and-clear from Starbreeze and that financial obligation.

So, take those payments to Starbreeze, the lawsuit, and the loss on Deathgarden, and it certainly lowers this consumer's confidence given the ongoing state of DbD.

This is where the makers of Last Year: The Nightmare should be kicking themselves in the ass. While the folks at this forum are die hard fans of DbD, for the average player that isn't and doesn't visit here, Last Year could have tried to grab them. Instead, they chose to launch on the Discord platform first instead of Steam. The game has been out for months with no fanfare and absolutely no Twitch presence. And that's what is allowing DbD to really hold on. For this type of survival horror, they're the only real game in town right now.

Post edited by Kilmeran on
  • Slayer
    Slayer Member Posts: 1,148

Well at least i can counter 3 survivor games as a killer simply by camping =)

• SmokePotion

I didn't even know about the Starbreeze deal. Damn. I honestly hope they fix things, this really is the only game in town like this worth playing.

Last Year when it comes to steam?

I'm saying the same thing most people are. "Sure, if they take out the cross talk."

• Kilmeran
    edited March 2019

They have to take out cross-talk and allow the ability to choose to play killer, as opposed to the random-choice system them have in place like F13 used. Otherwise, I've no personal interest in Last Year, either.

That said, though, unless Behavior gets their crap sorted in the next week or two, I'm done here. I'll just remove it from my play rotation, and continue on with Overwatch, Paladins, and Realm Royale. The latter two just dropped their new Battle Passes today, anyway.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

The frozen loading screen has first been an issue in mid of 2017 if I remember correctly