Playerbase PC vs Console

Hi

I am playing on ps4 (Europe region) and I was wondering how big the playerbase on console is?

Recently it takes forever to join a full lobby, I don’t know if its lack of player or if the matchmaking is broken?

I don’t think its because of no players on ps4. I was wondering how big the playerbase is? Can we check somewhere, or can BHVR give a number on avg player on ps4 and xbox?

I think pc has the biggest playerbase with an avg base of 20’000 player (according steam charts).

I would then say that ps4 has a bigger base than xbox according to the number of posts I see here in the forum. Also there are much more bug reports on ps4 than on xbox, which tells me that the playerbase is bigger. Is an estimation of 10’000 player on ps4 reasonable? What would you say?

Comments

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 417

Be careful with mixing up Steamcharts numbers and overall player base. From what I know, Steamcharts only shows the number of concurrent players online. While the concurrent online player count is an extremely important factor for the matchmaking, it's not the active player base of people who regularly play. Just mentioning this because I saw people claiming recently that DbD had lost players and pointed at SC. In particular you can't say simply because the concurrent player peak dropped by x% the game lost x% of players.

I don't know of any way to figure out the number of concurrent players on PS4.

As for the overall active player base, at least some slightly older rough estimations, end of last year you could create a video on the Sony site with some stats about your Playstation life. It told me my rarest trophy was Conniption and that 10495 other players had this trophy. At this point, the trophy list showed that 0.2% of DbD owners had this trophy. Now you can do some math, but keep in mind because there's always some error in there, 10496 won't be exactly 0.2% because the trophy percentage counts only increase in 0.1% steps so it could be anywhere between the display just switching from 0.1% and just before switching to 0.3%.

Considering that the game was free for a month for PS+ owners, not all of which will have kept playing. So if we're looking for active players we should compare to relatively new trophies.

That was just after the Legion DLC released and at that point, the Ormond map was disabled because of crashes, so noone could earn the "Unforgettable Getaway" trophy then. During the days between release and being disabled, 0.6% of players got this trophy. So in a rough calculation, there probably had to be over 30000 individual players playing during these few days who repaired the gen in the chalet and escaped. Consider that some main killer and don't care about survivor, some couldn't earn the trophy because they got killed, did not have the opportunity (got chased while others did that gen) or their game crashed (map wasn't disabled for no reason ...), had too little time at DLC release and jumped back on the game only after the map was disabled, or they simply didn't care about trophies and repaired other gens.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

I agree in general.

Regarding active players I would guess that

PC>PS4>XBOX>Switch

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Well_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 824

MM takes awhile because the new system sucks.

id imagine with the bigger install base + being given away as a PS+ title, that PS4 has more players than Xbox. But I never had trouble finding games on Xbox until the new MM update. So PS4 should be similar.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

I would also like to know if there is a way to determine the "active player" count. I read something between 10 and 15 million. But that is probably the number of people that bought it, not saying if any of these has been playing the game in the last two month.

I would be interested in that number because they twittered the "rifts completed" stat, which I would like to know how many players finished at least one rift. Just to get a rough idea of how the average of finished rifts is, to see if there are maybe 70% not finishing the rift or more like 50%.

Because this number would kinda sort out the hardcore gamers in this stat. Like they said "archives designed for the average player with 2 hour playtime per day" but if 10% of the players play like 8h per day, it could for example mean that only 30% of the players are able to finish the rift. But with the above number you could sort that out, as the hardcore gamers would not proceed in rifts once they are done, so not contributing to the number anymore.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

Crossplay is killing matchmaking if you prefer to stick to just your console matches. Evening dbd gaming takes forever

Also, to another commenter, nobody is pointing to peak players on S.C., but to the average active players over a 24 hour period for the past 30 days

• F60_31
    F60_31 Member Posts: 124

I am also on PS4 Europe with crossplay enabled and find matches pretty fast on both sides.