The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Only Real Problem With MoM

Peasant
Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

Mettle of Man rewards survivors for failure and punishes killers for succeeding.

Mettle of Man has now become the literal "new pre 2.6.0 Decisive Strike".

Survivors have a variety of second chance perks that all have counters or act as just rewards, however MoM is not one of those perks.

Borrowed Time can be countered by not camping.

Decisive Strike can be countered by not tunnelling.

Exhaustion Perks can be countered by attacking by striking while the survivor is exhausted.

Even Adrenaline (which rewards survivors for surviving most of a trial) can be countered by the perk NOED or an Insta-down abilities.

MoM can only be countered by Chainsaws, Evil Within III, and (maybe) Devour Hope or NOED. Or you could just not hit survivors.

So forgive me and so many others if we express frustration towards this perk. It's just baffling why the devs would make a perk that rewards failure and punishes killers for hitting a survivor.

Comments

• Dabrownman1812
    Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,857

People complain without taking into account possible tools in the future. This was a planned perk, and we don't know the killer buffs coming in the future and perks. The meta is give on one side, then give on the other to spice things up if people haven't noticed. The plague can down survivors stupidly fast and make mettle of man barely notable in that case, same for some other killers. Meta shifts with perks as metas shift in every other game. The perk isn't as bad as dstrike and it's pretty fair. The only thing I'd say is make the obsession 3 hits to charge and non obsessions 4 hits to charge.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Just wanted to point out. Unlike old DS which simply removes some punishment for failure. Mettle of man actively rewards failure. This 8s because having MoM active let's to be in a state that is better than having not needed it in the first place. Or in otherwords if I have MoM then it is preferable to be hit than to not be hit since I can get a 3rd health state by being hit.

• TimeMonster
    TimeMonster Member Posts: 152

MoM sets you in so much vunreable spot, that this is rediqulous! And just for one hit? Really?

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

This perk is not that bad.... its fine and has a drawback

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

Why the heck should we care about the POSSIBLE changes in the future rn??

I dont want a killer perk broken as MoM ,I want MoM to be reworked entirely.

Enough with this "just wait" bs

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

Imagine a new killer perk, that after a hook and 3 hits the aura of the killer will be revealed to that survivor, he becomes the obsession and has exposed.

It would remove one hit, where MoM add one and reveal the aura after the third hit, not after the instadown, so it's even weaker and more fair then MoM. Right?

Who would love to face such a perk?

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Yeah, it needs balance changes. I will just keep playing Legion ;-)

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614

I mean Noed actually fits the same description - it rewards the killers for failure most of the time

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

But unlike Mettle Of Man can be prevented by cleansing all Totems.

• DingDongs
    DingDongs Member Posts: 684

ALSO NOED only trigger when all gens are complete

Mettle of Man can trigger "Always" as long you get hit 3 times

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614
    edited April 2019

It is still a bad perk though that needs to be changed. Just adding it cause it is important not cause in defense of MoM

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649

Which drawback? Aura reading? Ever noticed that the best players are using OoO? They wouldn't care about that drawback.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2019

@PolarBear Too many killer positive changes lately, the developers needed to counter-act that with an almost pay-2-win tier perk against the majority of all the current killers in the game..

• Dabrownman1812

Nope, and the tend to be lower tier for the ranks anyway so rip them.

• Dabrownman1812

@Blueberry

Missing the point. Secondary attacks prevents it from charging quick. One hit from a secondary and one M1 makes it so it never comes into play if you down them in those chases because it will have 3 stacks when they are already down for death hook. Hitting twice with secondary makes no mettle of man charges and gives you downs. Not all killers have secondary attacks or exposed like meyers/clown but they tend to be lower tier anyway. Rip them. The way they are pushing the ranking, higher tier killers eat mettle of man players up by not letting it proc often anyway.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

"if you down them in those chases"

That is the key part here though. There are enough "safe" spots that you have give up and break chase to not lose all your pressure that this is unreliable. Yeah you'll have times it doesn't activate because of this, but I think those are much less likely to happen than you're presenting. This is also assuming it's even one of the killers that has a secondary downing option which in itself limits that chance tremendously.

"The way they are pushing the ranking, higher tier killers eat mettle of man players up by not letting it proc often anyway."

This is part of the problem in that it's just forcing us to play those few top tier killers even more than we already were and like you said, this is even more punishing to the low tier killers that were already low to begin with.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

The issue I see is...

Devs know MOM is going to be the next hot button perk like DS was.

Devs don't test it properly, knowing they should make sure it actually works properly....

We get a new bugged perk once again.

So those that spent money on Ash to get the perk, you got sold a lemon. Cause now what is happening is the Devs are sitting back and evaluating the feedback... So the perk might be changed right off the start.

• DingDongs
  • Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

MoM is nothing compared to pre-2.6 DS.

• PreGum
    PreGum Member Posts: 64

But it gives you aura reading until that survivor is downed/hooked so it’s a risk/reward perk so you have to build it up before it can be used and it only works once per match. I honestly don’t see a problem with this perk.

• will_i_am_14_85
    will_i_am_14_85 Member Posts: 489

I haven't played as killer yet against it, but has anyone gotten any use out of the aura reading aspect of this perk? I can see the person using it not healing up and maybe waiting for adrenaline to kick in and run the killer around while someone else opens the door.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

Legion introduced a No-Heal meta. Survivors just power through gens and then have Adrenaline heal them back up. Who cares about Aura-reading when it's too late already.

• Mr_Digi
    Mr_Digi Member Posts: 138

And Noed, mori's, instadowns and rancor rewards killers for failure. So whats your point?? killers should have op ######### and survs not?

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    edited April 2019

@Mr_Digi NOED has several counters that all survivors can use. Memento Moris require that the killer already hooked a survivor (excluding Cypress Memento Moris) not to mention that they aren't cheap, so you won't see them every single game. Insta-down abilities are often locked behind a charge time or an expensive price and all have counters. Rancour isn't a perk designed to be a crutch to recover from failing, it's a strategic perk that let's you ignore one survivor for most of the game so you can better handle the other 3 survivors.

The difference between the killer's "Op "crap" is that the killer's stuff all has counters regardless of what survivor you're playing as and what perks you are using.

Mettle of Man is Op because unless you are using what you called "Op crap" there is no counter and it punishes killers for winning chases.

If you removed all if the "OP crap" from the equation the only "counter" to MoM is to not hit survivors, or just don't play killer. Both of which are asinine suggestions.

Post edited by Peasant on
  • ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

My biggest problem with MoM is, assuming the survivor doesn't also have decisive strike, I find it encourages tunneling off the hook. Hit someone twice to down them, hook, they get unhooked and you smack em again before they can heal, that way you're getting 2 hook states out of the way before they can get MoM. Obviously not the best course of action but hard campers and tunnelers rarely take the best course anyway

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

Mori requires the Killer to catch, hook, and then catch a Survivor again. Where is the failure? @Mr_Digi

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

MoM works great against the two strongest Killers: Nurse and Spirit.

MoM needs to go. PERIOD!!!!

• DingDongs

Also Mori are offer and can be waste if fail

unlike MoM (which is perk) can be use it forever