The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are Survivors so incredibly toxic?

Rivyn
Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

As of today, I'll have been here a week. For the most part, I've enjoyed the game, playing both teams. However, my issue comes about when I play Killer. Nearly every match, win or lose, the survivors will be highly toxic in post lobby chat. I understand lost matches don't feel good, and I've experienced my share of toxicity in other games in the past. However, this is the first game I've played that has this level of it. Many of these players act as if I destroyed their lives.

Comments

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809

Cuz game is about slaughterings

So when u don't play killer gotta express that violence somehow to release frustration

• Chad_Kensington
    Chad_Kensington Member Posts: 44

When referring to toxic survivors, I think of this dialogue from MiB:

Edgar/The Bug: Just what exactly do you think you're doing here?

Exterminator: I'm here to take care of your pest problem.

Edgar/The BugPest problemPEST?!

Exterminator: Yeah, you got one hell of an infestation.

Edgar/The Bug[Referring to the human race] You know, I've noticed an infestation here. Everywhere I look, in fact. Nothing but undeveloped, unevolved, barely conscious pond scum. Totally convinced of their own superiority as they scurry about their short, pointless lives.

Exterminator: Well, yeah. Uh, don't you wanna get rid of 'em?

Edgar/The Bug: Oh, in the worst way.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100
    edited June 2019

I'm going to say that both sides contribute to the issue in a way, but survivors, as the majority, will obviously stand out. Since they have complete control over the game and thus all the power, it'll go to most of their heads. If killers and survivors were more evenly matched, then you'd see less meme'y/trolly behavior as both sides would be viewed as equals and thus, there'd be a basic level of respect. Players that feel challenged or threatened don't tend to goof off or faff about as often as those who are completely comfortable and safe (whether through perk combinations, map design, or general killer weakness).

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited June 2019

There's more survivors in each game so you're naturally more likely to encounter toxic survivors than killers.

Plus, this is an asymmetrical game... The worst thing you can do to a survivor is torture and kill them and the worst thing a survivor can do to you is annoy and taunt you. Being victimized and deleted from the match can be more triggering than getting t-bagged to most beginners.

@BadMrFrosty This guy's a new player... Low rank survivors do not have control over the game at all.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

In low ranks not so much. I mean, he'll get to purple/red ranks eventually if he puts enough time into the game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,199

It's a group mentality thing. And there's a prevailing thought within the community that, A: killers are supposed to play by a set of rules that survivors made up, and B: it's up to the killers to make the game fun.

• zaozaoxx
    zaozaoxx Member Posts: 194
    edited June 2019

Dude, thats why DBD success and DeathGarden fell down, even it had been reworked.

Admit it, toxic is what encourage those survivor main keep playing.

No one will like a hide and time-management game for that long, right?

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Killers can be just as toxic, but survivors tend to be worse because

a. There's more of them

b. Survivors can't hit the killer or fightback so their only outlet for frustration is often the lobby.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Close the post game chat. It's the best for most people.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Report them. It's pointless to ask or wonder why they do it.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

First of all, skip end game chat. Nothing good comes from it. But to answer your question, "why are survivors toxic?" My theory is that survivors can't hurt or kill the killer and therefore they act out in the only way the game allows them to. What's the point of winning if you don't rub your opponent's nose in it a little right? There is always going to be a certain percentage of any player base that is toxic, but you are right in that this game seems to breed it. I think that is why.

• Ghost_Potato
    Ghost_Potato Member Posts: 59

Twitch streamers taught this to the community.

• ShinobiWolf
    ShinobiWolf Member Posts: 5

Completely false. Survivors have a myriad of ways to fight back against the killer, everything from mindgames and teabagging to pallet drops to looping to flashlight chain-blind spam. It's only the illusion of being powerless. In practice, they have just as many ways to harass the killer as the killer does to them, maybe more so.

• Rivyn

@ShinobiWolf Bud, I made this thread over a year ago. Don't you go and use your necro powers, now.

• cenoflame
    cenoflame Member Posts: 320

Toxic survivors because toxic killers because toxic survivors, etc. Chicken and the egg.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

What do you mean you've been here a week? You have almost 2,000 posts.

• Rivyn

Look at the post date, bud. I made this last year, when I first started. Somebody went and dug it up. Necro post and all.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Oh that's weird. Usually when posts come up on the first few pages they're relatively new. My bad, I was just confused lol.

• Rivyn

No problem. I stand by the sentiment, though. Players still act like I eviscerated their dog in front of them when they lose, or come off as if I was Osama Bin Laden when they win. I'm just not as shocked anymore. DbD is by far the most toxic game I've played, so it actually feels good when I go back to my other games, and chuckle at their versions of toxicity. It's weak sauce compared to here. Thanks, DbD.

• Jill10230
    Jill10230 Member Posts: 475

I agree that there really are killers *** in the world, but the survivors usually do it more than them!

Just yesterday, one survivor (Claudette) blocked the way for another survivor, so I hit him (Ace), I took Ace down. Claudette looks at me and hits me and Ace . I grab Ace and chase after Claudette. I catch Claudette, I hook her, then I catch Ace and I put him down but I don't hook him, I pick him up . End of the game Claudette will escape, I find Ace with Claudette at the TBAG exit door .

I felt sorry for Ace and finally I find myself stupid, between a team that made a lot of fun of me! I left !😀

I never tbag for nothing, i tbag with the killer.