A "Museum" Mode

I enjoy games that allow you to experience the lore of the game as much as I like reading the lore in those games. There's something about being able to learn about not just the lore, but the history of the creation of the game that has always interested me. So I would like to suggest a museum mode.

now what I mean by a museum mode is that you have mock-ups of the levels, along with objects that can be selected to give various snippets of the lore as well as development history.

For instance, you could explore Coldwind Farms in its entirety, having all four areas in a large mockup of the entire estate, clicking on things such as the combine or the bricked up wall that the Hillbilly was in and learn bits of lore and maybe a development history of the areas (and maybe a tiny scare or two such as a hand coming out of the feeding hole as you access the lore. Or perhaps Autohaven wreckers, exploring the areas in it, maybe even being allowed to go on top of the crusher where Azarov lost his life to phillip.

These areas should be non-threatening, meaning that you would be mostly a non-entity as you travelled through them. It would be just a museum that you could explore and learn about the realm of the entity and areas that the game takes place in.

Examples of games that have included museum modes include:

NAMCO Museum (PS1): The NAMCO museum games were a series of 5 games that presnted the history of the Namco arcade games that were famous during the 70's and 80's. You would go through a literal virtual museum, where each of the games were presented with a hallways that would give a history of the game's creation, virtual mock-ups of the cabinet front pieces and arcade boards, and instructions on how to play as well as a few tips, then each hallway would end in a large area that took you into the world of the game you were about to play, such as Pac-Man's home, the Race track for Pole Position, or the Hanger for ship in Galaga. In these rooms was an arcade cabinet that would let you play the game to your hearts content, after which, you could simply go to another part of the museum if you wished to play more (you could also just play the game straight from the start menu if you didn't want to go through the virtual museum.

Friday the 13th, the Game: Now I do apologize for mentioning this game, as it has caused a bit of salt for some people in the DBD community when it came out, but the Virtual Cabin in Friday the 13th the game is an excellent example of what I am talking about. You walk through a mock-up of a cabin and the outer environs that includes several characters in the game that were essentially statues, simply positioned in the cabin about to do something or just hanging out. You could click on them as well as other objects in the cabin, and get small snippets of history about the game. You could even cause certain events to happen that would change things up, having Jason kill the counselors and letting you click on them again to gain new information.

Comments

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

This would be really cool to have. You can find all the lore on the official website or on the wiki, but having it accessible ingame would be a nice touch. The only drawback I can think of is that it would probably be a lot of work and it seems like they're focusing on other things for the moment.

• Jesternario
    Jesternario Member Posts: 3

thus suggesting it on the wishlist. So they can see it and maybe consider adding it later.

• TigerKirby215
    TigerKirby215 Member Posts: 604

Diorama Mode? 8-)
    On topic: It could be cool, if only for screenshot artists.