Why Can't Ghostface be purchased with iridescent shards

Chordyceps
Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,710

When ghostface was released on the PTB, I was largely disappointed with him. I decided I didn't want to spend any money on him, but I still want to add him to my roster. I grinded for the 9000 iridescent shards so that I could still get him when he comes out, but when I logged on today, I found out he can only be purchased with auric cells. So my question here is "what gives?". Why can I only purchase him with auric cells. Is this a limited time thing and he'll be available for purchase with iridescent shards some time after the release?

Comments

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,710

I guess I must have missed that. That makes enough sense.

• nøbødy
    nøbødy Member Posts: 37

He's a licensed killer so he can't be given out for free. If Ghostface was an original character, that would be different.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

Thing is, he is original.

The mask is what is licensed. This isn't a Scream DLC.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,010

The mask is licensed. The fact that they had more freedom with the character doesn't change the fact that there's still a third-party who needs to get a cut.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

Third parties aren't interested in getting paid in iridescent shards.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited June 2019

BHVR have to pay a percentage of the money gained from purchases to the people they licensed the killer/costume from. By agreeing to let BHVR license a killer or cosmetic, the License owner is making an investment and expecting a return from BHVR for purchases made using their material. Naturally this means that BHVR can't make any Licensed DLC earn-able via shard grinding or free because the License owners wouldn't get anything back for their investment unless BHVR incorporated Ad's, Trackers, or player personal info gathering software to the game that they could pay the license owners with for the revenue gained from such things. I believe the $5-7 price-tag for a licensed DLC is a decent compromise compared to what they could be doing.

With Ghostface however there is an interesting quirk in the license. Since they only got the license for the mask and the character is all their own (no matter how similar to source material) they don't have to get approval from the license owner when it comes to adjusting or updating the game-play mechanics or adding any cosmetics that don't involve the mask (this is probably why they named him The Ghost Face, instead of just Ghostface as that would infringe on a copyright of the character, which is owned by another company). The real reason Freddy's rework has taken so long is because they obtained the license for the whole character, and any changes they want to make have to get approval from the license owners first, which takes a considerable amount of time and communication between BHVR and the License holders. This is also why there has never been any updates for Leatherface, Michael Myers, and very few minor updates for The Pig.