Ghostface is a pay only chapter?!?!

I cant see any way to get the killer other than using actual, real, money... if so, This is the fist step in the Pay to Play direction. Not really what I was hoping the game would turn in to. Fortnite is the HIGHEST paid game in the history of ever, and they are NOT pay to play, they are pay for skins, and nothing more, yet they make BANK!! you dont NEED to charge to play to get paid.

I am 999% in favor of devs getting paid to make a decent game, but... yes, the big but, there is a track record of bait and switch in this game (see Freddy) and, I cant condone a pay only Chapter if there is a high chance of getting nerfed... sad days...

Comments

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833

Up until Clown, everything was pay only. Even after the addition of the store, all licensed items are pay only for contract reasons.

This is nothing new. And it is not a problem now. As for the nerf, it was announced prior to the killer going up for sale.

• Mashtyx1
    Mashtyx1 Member Posts: 188

Licensed characters have always been pay with real money to play. Why is this coming up again like it's a big surprise?

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

The base game is $20 (currently $10 on Steam sale). It was pay to play from the very beginning. Unless you got it with either the xbox or ps deal that I forget the name of, but that's also still something you pay for.

• xmidnitejokerx
    xmidnitejokerx Member Posts: 26

It’s licensed content. This would be like complaining that the NFL skins on fortnite required money to purchase.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2019

Well, they don't. They can be bought with vBucks, which can be earned both from the Battle Pass and Save the World.

• Spirez
    Spirez Member Posts: 674

Assuming you have the pig(avatar) it’s the same. Licensed = Real Money

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

Licensed characters are real money only. They stated that would be the case from the moment the store opened. Before that, all DLCs were paid only besides the Huntress (pc players, correct me if I was wrong about any DLCs before Huntress, I am a console gamer). This is not something new.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454

@billynair

why dont u contact whoever has the mask rights and offer them your shards....

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063

BHVR have to pay a percentage of the money gained from purchases to the people they licensed the killer/costume from. By agreeing to let BHVR license a killer or cosmetic, the License owner is making an investment and expecting a return from BHVR for purchases made using their material. Naturally this means that BHVR can't make any Licensed DLC earn-able via shard grinding or free because the License owners wouldn't get anything back for their investment unless BHVR incorporated Ad's, Trackers, or player personal info gathering software to the game that they could pay the license owners with for the revenue gained from such things. I believe the $5-7 price-tag for a licensed DLC is a decent compromise compared to what they could be doing.

With Ghostface however there is an interesting quirk in the license. Since they only got the license for the mask and the character is all their own (no matter how similar to source material) they don't have to get approval from the license owner when it comes to adjusting or updating the game-play mechanics or adding any cosmetics that don't involve the mask (this is probably why they named him The Ghost Face, instead of just Ghostface as that would infringe on a copyright of the character, which is owned by another company). The real reason Freddy's rework has taken so long is because they obtained the license for the whole character, and any changes they want to make have to get approval from the license owners first, which takes a considerable amount of time and communication between BHVR and the License holders. This is also why there has never been any updates for Leatherface, Michael Myers, and very few minor updates for The Pig.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,858

Funny story. 3rd parties aren't interested in being paid in iridescent shards.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

licensed killers are always pay to play.

this is due to the fact, that the devs themselves needed to pay money in order to gain the needed licenses to have the characters ingame.

thats the reason why licensed characters ALWAYS are money only characters. it has been that way with Michael Myers, Leatherface, Amanda Young and Freddy Krueger already. the same goes for the upcomming cosmetics for those licensed characters. these will also be pay to get, unlike the original cosmetics that can be obtained with shards (auric cell only cosmetics CAN be bought with shards during a special event that can randomly drop. they will cost 7200 shards for each piece of clothing though. also, its not given that every cosmetic can appear in such events, which happen at random)