Got A Suggestion For Gen-Rushing, But Survivor Mains Won't Like It...

Options
ForsakenM
ForsakenM Member Posts: 47
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

It's really simple, actually: if a survivor is injured, make them take a penalty to progress bar checks that reduces how fast they can complete gens, healing, totem cleansing, sabotaging and chest searching. It would not only solve the problem, but it would be realistic: you aren't going to be able to do things at maximum capacity if you just got smacked violently with a weapon! Now of course it would be more useful to just reduce gen progression when injured and let other progression bars work as normal. That would work as well, I am not really sure which is the best way to take it, but here is what I can tell you.

If you make it so an injured survivor takes significantly longer to repair a gen, they would focus more time on healing or finding someone to heal them or searching for a chest to hopefully find a med kit. This would naturally lead to slowing down the game without having to put in a brand new objective, and I feel like it wouldn't overly reward the Killer since they are trying to swat survivors anyway. Even if the survivor just does a gen anyway, the progression would slow enough that it would slow down the pace of the game.

Of course the issue here is that Survivors won't like this change because it nerfs them. Currently you can toy with the Killer and be way more risky without having any actual risk because being injured doesn't mean all that much. Sure, you go down in one more hit, but there are so many perks that either buff you while injured or help you get out of the injured state that it doesn't really matter.

I feel like it would be easier to balance as well, because instead of a brand new mechanic to test, this would be easier to code in and you only need to balance it around a certain number of perks. Make sure that it slows progression enough so that the perks that buff progression while injured don't counter it to make the new mechanic worthless, but not so much that it becomes impossible to do a gen while injured.

Comments

• ForsakenM
    Options

I also play both, and would be fine with this change.

Nobody does anything but gens, hook saves and healing. Sometimes totem cleansing, but really it's just about the gens. Chests don't matter and sabotage really doesn't matter

Also, no, not Thanataphobia: that hurts all survivors for having an injured survivor and stacks for each one injured. This would be a personal debuff that affects only you.

Though I would say that Thantaphobia might have to have changes depending.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,004
    Options

@Paladin_Goo 1 manthanataphobia, it only affects the injured survivor.

• Paladin_Goo
    Paladin_Goo Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2019
    Options

Since you say it that way, I mean, I'd be down for that, to be honest; but I think healing speed would need to be slowed down as well. Only then would it truly slow things down.

I don't think survivor mains would hate this as much as you think. I mean, maybe the ones who say Ghostface is OP, or that can't adapt to vaulting being back where it's supposed to be, but they are inconsequential and not to be paid attention to anyway. Good survivors will likely be okay with a change like this.

• Paladin_Goo
    edited June 2019
    Options

Why is it unfair? They were caught, and hit. Typically if you screw if to the point where something bad happens, such as taking a hit, it's a deserved punishment.

No mither would, and should suffer the same effect, IMO. If you're running no mither, you want to play hard mode anyway.

• Paladin_Goo
    Options

Hey, that's cool. Self care takes forever. An eternity. That's an eternity someone isn't working on a generator. I'm cool with that.

• Oblitiry
    Oblitiry Member Posts: 487
    Options

Would make the plague a god and thanatophobia meta asf and in every build.

It sounds like an easy fix but creates many more balance issues.

• Paladin_Goo
    Options

No, it would only effect survivors injured by things like M1 attacks and traps etc. Being sick wouldn't apply to it.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    edited June 2019
    Options

Maybe make all Skill Checks 50% smaller to encourage healing up first before making progress?

Random idea btw, didn't take balance in consideration.

I just figured: You probably can't do something as well as normal if your arm is cut open.

• Oblitiry
    Oblitiry Member Posts: 487
    Options

is the broken status from being sick not considered being injured? Because the games mechanics certainly acknowledge it as being injured.

You would have to remove her sickness leading to the broken status to keep a semblance of balance.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,829
    Options

This idea sounds cool on paper, but this isnt a good solution to solve gen rushing. Adding this will actively punish survivors who dont run self care (which is such a boring perk to use to begin with), or a medkit. This will also make using thana and sloppy butcher the meta- and more anti healing builds will probably come out for both sides (though we’ll probably see better uses of autodidact)

• Injuryble
    Injuryble Member Posts: 62
    Options

genrush is a legit strat. if you nerf that maybe you should nerf killer meta too? nerf noed, delete ruin, let us have perks against camper and hardcore tunnelers. wait. that would be fair i guess. nerfing the meta of both sides. killer mains not gonna like this.

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624
    Options

Gen rushing isnt a strat XD its just the survivors doing what theyre supposed to. Its just naturally called that bc gens go by so ######### fast. Most times without ruin, youd be ######### as a killer. Your opinion is very one sided and maybe you should try killer out for a while.(without using ruin)

If a change was made to balance the "gen rush" problem then I would be okay with a ruin nerf or change. Noed is counter able. If you dont want to deal with it, you can simply destroy the totems. You can choose to either work really quickly to get out and risk getting 1 hit at the end, or be strategic if you feel like the killer would have noed and destroy the totems.

Both of those perks arent even a problem either. Its quite easy to work through ruin. I play both sides with 2000+ hours. It isnt hard and if it really is for you, you can use steak out and/or small game.

As for camping and tunneling: That is a legitimate strategy as annoying as it is. The devs know it's annoying and they changed DS to specifically counter tunneling. Use deliverance and mettle as well and you have a great counter. The devs do not want to take away this strategy from the trash players so theyre adding counters to it bc its frustrating. BUT at the same time: Waaaah Boooo hooo. Now I dont camp as a killer or tunnel and if i do, its unintentional however if you get camped, is it so hard to just say "whatever"? maybe thats just me with all the perks on one character but like, after enough experience in the game, that shouldnt matter. I stopped caring. A good way to look at it is to say to yourself everytime you get camped: "I am glad that i helped that sad hurt man release some negative energy out of him" or "damn I am so good I had to be camped" At the same time however, you dont seem that good because you become a better player when you play both sides. Try it out.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Run thana if you wanna punish people for not healing.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

I had an idea on fixing gen speeds but its an odd one and may not work. My idea is...

• Gens would be .6 charges per second by default
    • The gen progress speeds up the longer you are on it.
    • The max gen speed would be like 1.2 charges per second

What would this do??

1. Gens would be slower by default but if a killer ignored it then they would go by faster.
    2. Encourages survivors to stay on the gen once they start it. (No trash survivors doing everything except for gens??)
    3. If killers disrupt the gen repairing, it will ultimately take longer.
    4. If a killer is tunneling 1 survivor, then gens will go quicker. (encourages killers not to be cocks)

Maybe this wouldnt work, I only accidentally thought of it. Of course the numbers could be better, I just pulled them out of my ass. Its the idea that matters and even the idea might suck but its a discussion so we can think about it.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

@SenzuDuck Alot of times, survivors donate hits to save teammates. Killers will also sometimes get the hit off and leave them injured so they have to heal and go to a progressing gen. Yes killer shouldnt be rewarded for losing chases, but when I play, a lot of my hits I end up going for someone else right after because survivors like to clump up and I try to always go for the healthy one because I usr sloppy. So It isnt always about losing chases. And if that were implemented alot more killers would hit healthy over injured. I understand what you mean though.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

I was being pendantic because the point of his argument was silly.

Survivors are already punished for being injured, they're loud, leave blood & will go down in one hit.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

Well generators are too quick. Not a bad idea to punish them more for being hit. But It would need to be played with. May not work. But still good thinking

• samination
    samination Member Posts: 312
    Options

Add another gen.

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911
    Options

what a weird and clickbaity title

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

Give this man a raise

• Tenshi0108
    Tenshi0108 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Then let me tell you either you suck a t being a killer o you dont know how to divide the time you in your hands.Simple as that.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

Well its more difficult than that... Gen times are too quick, and with most killers you win by survivor mistakes instead of your own skill. With spirit, billy, and nurse being the only viable killers, there should be changes to objectives. A slight change that wouldnt make playing survivor not fun but a change that would make it more fair for most killers and stay fun for survivors. Something tells me you havent played enough killer games.

I challenge you to get to rank 1 only using doctor, wraith, or clown without camping (unless its the end of the match obviously). Then your mind will be open.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

Survivors would find it boring... It needs to be fun for both parties even though the game isnt all like that right now XD.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

Agreed. Well played though because everyone is gonna see his idea and talk about it, its a discussion that should be had because games are too quick.

• Tenshi0108
    Tenshi0108 Member Posts: 13
    Options

I am at rank 3 i use the plague,Myers and nurse with those killer i always put pressure on each of the generator i see that have been work on,if a see a survivor un a chest i dont chase that surivivor because he not doing anything to put pressure on me so i got always to those who are think are survivor gens rush like you said and them i go for the others.It only been like 5 times that the gens for me in my case have been rush and i have played since the games released on ps4.

I always divide the time i dont keep chasing loop and stuff like that because is unnecessary for me it you do that then what happens nest is your problem.

• WickedMilk03
    Options

so you wouldnt wack the survivor at the chest? Thats more pressure bc its basically a free hook and they gotta unhook him

• ForsakenM
    edited June 2019
    Options

Wow this had a lot of discussion as well! Either my posts are controversial or I'm speaking up about things that need to be dealt with according to the community.

So I knew going into this that a mechanic like this would require changes to perks accordingly. The original idea here is to change base gameplay to stop gens from being done so quickly which is a very common complaint, but to do so without implementing a brand new objective.

An example of possible balance is that Thanatophobia would only affect the action bars of whatever actions don't get punished by this new mechanic. For example, if the injured status only slows gen progression, then maybe Thanatophobia affects all other action bars that aren't related to gens, or if the injured status slows everything but healing then Thanatophobia only affects healing. Or perhaps you just lower the percent at all ranks on Thanatophobia and find a middle-ground to where it is still strong but not overpowered and the new injured status stays relevant. Or perhaps you change it to have a token system based on whenever a survivor heals and that when it reaches max tokens it activates a debuff of Killer buff of some sort, as this would help counter the "new" Self-Care meta that would emerge.

An example of balance for No Mither could be that it ignores the new injured status debuff, but then you would have to do information gathering on whether No Mither with perks that buff action bar progression while injured is too good. The trade-off here is that you would ignore the new injured debuff for the ability to be downed so much quicker, but still able to get yourself up from a slugging Killer. Then you have to see if ignoring the new injured status while also buffing your progress while injured vs being downed so easily has a fair balance to it or if it ends up being too good. This is how balance works: you have to get lots of test results and search for the average and make a decision from there.

This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with what I hear higher-ranked players complaining about. I'm just studying what other top-tier players are saying and coming up with ways to possibly fix the situation.

I remember when I came up with the idea to punish campers by making them lose bloodpoints or potential points or have emblem decay with a certain radius from the hook, and most everyone thought it was stupid and kinda flamed me for it. Then BHVR ended up putting it in the game.

I mean it hasn't helped all that much, but the idea was there and it was tried. Now we know that isn't what causes Killers to camp.