A way to deter killers camping the hatch

bigbeefynacho
bigbeefynacho Member Posts: 351
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

I've noticed when I'm the sole survivor left at the end of a match, some killers will camp the hatch to stall egc. I have been in a number of games where this could go as long as 15 to 20 minutes holding the game hostage. (I do have a life after all :P).

I feel a way to counter hatch camping is to implement a timer on the hatch when it opens. i.e. After, say, 2 minutes, the hatch will automatically close if either the killer hasn't yet kicked it shut or the survivor hasn't yet jumped through to salvation. Then the egc timer will begin and my life outside of dbd will soon resume where, obviously, I enter another 10 to 15 minute queue line for another match.

Comments

• bigbeefynacho
    bigbeefynacho Member Posts: 351

Good point. But usually a good killer is aware of their surroundings and will then kick the hatch shut, chasing you around the map until the entity takes you.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

Its not hostage situation as you are still able to fix generators. I have had this same scenario few times and as soon as you start popping gens they will close the hatch and then its 50/50 with the door.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

The killer can just stand on top of the hatch and deny the prompt from even appearing.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

Then work on generators. Generators are not blocked until EGC starts.

Yes, they get an indicator - but you'll usually force the issue and already have a head start (killer will likely close the hatch at that point). BTW, I suggest going to the gate furthest from the generator you just popped because most killers are going to assume you went to the close gate.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

Agree with OP. There's no point in finding the hatch first and not interacting with it. And it would work both ways. Stay a while more just to teabag and you could get the hatch shut on your virtual goods.

2 minutes sound fair enough.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@Akisohida Survivors have been blessed for a long time with a sense of safety and power. Killers have been treated like bloodpoint piñatas throughout most of the game's history.

That's why we have this "How to Play Killer: The Complete Rulebook" by the survivors that killers should follow, because the game becomes more fun FOR THEM. That's why killers get so much hatred and spite when they camp and tunnel.

The latest Killer Emblem changes that promotes a playstyle similar to that featured in the Rulebook shows that the Behavior share this belief that it should be fun for survivors. It'll always be more important.

Its the sad truth of it all.

• Akisohida
    Akisohida Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2019

There is indeed a reason to not close it:

When I'm killer and there's 1-2 gens left & hatch, I don't always want to close the hatch, because that's REWARDING the Survivor; it's speeding up his chance of leaving by triggering the exit gates.

Sorry, but forcing a time limit & then triggering EGC without Killer input takes the power away from Killers, which is already happening way too much. Please no.

• FrenziedRoach

I disagree. It's better to close it and pressure the last survivor to act. It also narrows down where you need to be patrolling. It also brings the game to a conclusion so I can get into a new match

• Condorloco_26

But how are you going to accomplish anything by standing on the hatch? The survivor would have all the time and freedom to work on 1 or 2 gens without you applying any pressure.

And if that happens, gates will power and you'll have to patrol them, exactly as if you closed the hatch in the first place.

• FrenziedRoach

Exactly - which is why I see this "hatch camping" thing to be a non-issue. Yes, it's boring, but it only takes 80 seconds tops to complete a generator and force the issue.

• Akisohida
    Akisohida Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2019

Except, once he pops a Gen, the Killer has a better idea where the Survivor is, and where he may be headed.

Again; no. People need to stop suggesting ideas that rip control out of the Killer's hands.

The killer is SUPPOSED to be in control!

This punishes Killers because some people are unhappy if the Killer plays a way they, specifically, don't want him to play. Please stop trying to dictate how Killers are supposed to play like there's some sort of Marquess of Queensberry Rules to Killer play.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

It really isn't an issue.

I just camp exit gates at this point. If he won't close the hatch, I'll just do a gen.

It isn't rocket science people.

• Condorloco_26

Waiting 80 or 160 seconds just to get a slight clue of where the survivor could be seems like a waste of time for me. I will just find him quicker if I close the hatch.

Now there's only 2 spots he could be.

• FrenziedRoach

And how is popping the generator and giving the killer an indicator where you are bad exactly? What, do you expect the survivor to just stand there and wait for the killer? User your head FFS!

I used to do this to hatch campers all the time. I pop the gen, then take a hidden route that doesn't go directly back to the hatch - I beat the killer to the hatch EVERY SINGLE TIME because they go to the gen, then go looking for me.

In the new EGC, I suspect most of them will just shut the hatch at that point - which frees me up to start the exit gate mind games that a lot of us are already playing.

This is such a non-issue, I can't believe people are complaining about this. It's like people log in and take off their thinking caps.

• Eguzky
    Eguzky Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2019

You misunderstand; I was pointing out that a hatch-camping Killer has a reason to NOT 'just close hatch' because forcing a Survivor to pop a gen & give away where he is works in the Killer's favor.

I was arguing AGAINST time-limited hatches. :)

• FrenziedRoach

@Eguzky ah, my bad

I'm so used to people just turning off their brains and expecting everything to be done for them. Guess I'm jumping to conclusions

• BismarckCane
    BismarckCane Member Posts: 73
    edited June 2019

assuming the killer has a 3k and more then one Gen, I am not sure why they care about the fourth kill so bad, if you get him then great but at what cost? 20 mins, he could have double piped with 100k BP in another match, for that time.

As a Killer, I give the last survivor the hatch or gate typically (mainly didnt want red ranks to fast from 2 pips) however often I will knock them down then take them to the gate.

(If they are toxic, they just go to a hook)

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

For the same reason that survivors don't let themselves get caught by the killer even if they're already pipped with plenty of BP and all of them are about to escape. The game's not over until it's over.

• weirdkid5

Sounds to me like you want a free win just because the Killer already got a 3k.

Nah fam. You better work for that escape.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

The Generators don't have Entity blockers yet.

• weirdkid5

How do people not enjoy the thrill of trying to survive as the last man standing?

This is one of the best feelings this game gives. I guess if you don't have the skill to actually survive I could see why it wouldn't be enjoyable though.

• ShyN3ko
    ShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

..............could go as long as 15 to 20 minutes holding the game hostage.

Survivors are dumb players.

I must rly say that.

Every time, the killer doing something smart = nerf

And then they should git gut and adept.

Killers dont have much freedom in this game and they are still better players.

Because I have a rly simple solution.

Do gens.

Just do it.