Freddy's old playstyle will be missed.

I think im not alone, but there are still not many of us that have mastered Freddy in his current state. And i cant but to feel sad that we are losing our most enjoyable killer in this game to this new rework. If this rework had been a completely new killer in addition i would be thrilled, but since it is taking away my favorite thing in the game again (endgame piggy). Im not really filled with joy.

Old Freddy had something no other killer in this game had. He had the option to truly be the dreammaster. And to toy with his survivors, without getting punished trough genrush among other things. He was the master of information and the unknown. Always knowing where you where without you knowing where he was. He could be right behind you and suddenly appear infront of you. No other killer gave you this much control and choices in the trial.

A true dreammaster was near impossible to escape without a bit of luck or strong cooperation. And even then it could simply not be enough if he chose to kill you.

This new reworked Freddy has nowhere near the potential old Freddy had. And his power also no longer rewards the so much desired playfulness that old Freddy provided. He simply joins the rank of so many other killers where a chase must be followed trough or you will lose.

I know many people disagree, but to be frank. Those people have never seen or played Freddy the way he excels at. Those that come with the argument that he is weak because of the dream transition. Simply do not know where his strenghts lie, but we who do can morn about the passing of our dreammaster...

Comments

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529

"Always knowing where you where without you knowing where he was. He could be right behind you and suddenly appear infront of you. No other killer gave you this much control and choices in the trial."

Myers can do this to a certain extent and in some ways better than old freddy could. Freddy has a lullabye so you knew when he was near, T1 Myers is completely silent and can appear without any indication whatsoever. Not even players with OoO can see him. The only drawback to a permanant T1 scratched mirror myers is he is slow and his lunge is terrible so he won't win chases. But sneaking up on survivors and grabbing them off generators is never easier.

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850

I know im gonna have problems like trying to put people to sleep with freddys old power thats no longer there

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

It was boring

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529

As i mentioned. Many people will disagree, but we who know, knows there is noone better, Freddy also has permanent invsibility so you never know where he is, just the area he is in. He will see you long before you know where he is. And while in the dream it is so easy to let your target go, and then predict his movement to make him run into you instead of chasing after him.

Myers altough also fun, has no stall. And much more diffulty of finding people after tier 1. And you can't juggle survivors like you can with freddy. You have to chase the one you find.

• Karltastisk

the 7 second delay mean nothing when you play as the dreammaster :P If you play noobstomper Freddy it can be annoying, but that is a very boring playstyle to me tho.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

That's a matter of perspective.

I disliked it heavily, but i really liked how Nightmare played.

Doesn't matter if it means nothing.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

I'm going to really miss stacking my add-ons and Perk Build to slow the game down considerably and then torment/toy with the Survivors. Sure the whole delay to hit them and unable to grab em or hit em on unhooks...but Ive played current Freddy so much I have muscle memory and strategies down pretty well...it....gonna take a long time to get rid of that old style :/

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

Freddy was not fun on either side, i for one, am rather glad about the changes. Goodbye tunnel monster, hello Nightmare.

• Alther_Primus
    Alther_Primus Member Posts: 158

Rest in peace to the Freddy I learned to play, and learned to enjoy. You will be sorely missed.

• Karltastisk

that is because you don't know how to play him and neither did the person you played against.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

Yeah unfortunately you're going to need to use perks and actual skill to find survivors instead of map wide aura reading.

• purebalance7
    purebalance7 Member Posts: 90

......if a survivor was THAT far that you're claiming map wide, you don't chase them. More than likely they're going to fail a skill check before you get there. Claiming that Freddy didn't require skill on live......riiiiiiiight. Let's see all of your Freddy 4k vids.

• purebalance7

Honestly with old Freddy, actions should have made the transition happen faster. The number of people who just sat on a gen while the transition happened was ridiculous much less hex totems.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

I'm not a Freddy main but I see why you might be upset. Not sure why they didn't simply buff him to have the teleport and to set fake pallets as a base power.

• purebalance7

The UR ones are much better, but I don't see BB going live as is. Permasleep makes an obsession hurt the team.

• brokedownpalace

I didn't say he didn't require skill. I said he didn't require skill in keeping track of and finding survivors. It's the same problem I have with the Doctor.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

No amount of knowing how to play against him made it fun.

• semaj_leachim
    semaj_leachim Member Posts: 48

You aren't alone. Haven't played him into much lately because I wanna git gud with other killers amd it's been faster to play survivor bit when I want to pay it forward when someone play swetty, I bring out freddy for my 4k

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited July 2019

Fun to play*

Global aura reading is obviously oppressive to play against, required very little skill, and needed tremendous setbacks to his kit to offset.

• Hernanccito
    Hernanccito Member Posts: 4

If I were you , I will open a ticket requesting Freddy s money back because that is not what you had purchased. Rise a ticket!

• TheDiz
    TheDiz Member Posts: 243

Freddy was a unique killer and to be honest I usually 4k'd every game I played with him aside from a few DC's and the higher rank SWF teams that knew how to exploit his very broken mechanic with the dream state. He was great against survivors who played against him like a normal killer but there was nothing more frustrating than a survivor healing and purposely missing skill checks to save a friend or unhooking right in front of you, or popping gens while you are trying to put them to sleep. Not to mention the endgame hatch escape that was inevitable. He was fun against mid to low rank players though. I'm just curious to see how this plays out and really hope he isn't any worse because with certain add ons he was pretty good before.

• NeonAlien
    NeonAlien Member Posts: 328

I won't miss playing against old Freddy at all, but many many people underestimate him and his Potential if played right. I've my fair share of matches against good Freddys. They're nervracking. Not fun at all, for me personally, but it's certain that he isn't nearly as weak as people claim him to be.

• semaj_leachim
    semaj_leachim Member Posts: 48

I love playing freddy and I think that trend will continue with the rework. I haven't read up on it too much so I dont know if they're changing his perks, but blood warden is a staple for a few of my killers

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

This type of post is why I enjoy lurking on the forums lol

• NextKillerSpongebob
    NextKillerSpongebob Member Posts: 271

I also enjoy old Freddy waaaay more than the new Freddy. Snares ######### suck and so does the teleportation with its 5 second warning...

• MassiveToggaf
    MassiveToggaf Member Posts: 37

Y'all are acting like Freddy was the best killer and if someone doesn't agree they just don't know how to play him.

I for one didn't like playing him because not only are other killers stronger with less effort but he never felt like Freddy, the only parts of his kit that resembled him is knowing where people are in his world and putting people to sleep. It didn't even have much of the aesthetic down.

For me at the moment just watching people smile after hitting someone through a dream pallet is more satisfying than playing non-rework Freddy.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923

His nightmare end here new freddy is in a better place but, i will miss action penalty during dream state.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Am I the only one who wants old Freddy to be back in a form of an add-on ? It would be pretty cool imo.

• Redcum
    Redcum Member Posts: 261

Wow, a killer who's only counterplay was to hard loop him and gen rush is gone. How sad.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

As Freddy you were suppose to hit,run and sleep. Not take every loop.

• Karltastisk
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

I'll miss him too. Very enthusiastic about gen teleport, but I wish old version could somehow stay available.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

So, of the people commenting here, who has put some hours in with the Freddy rework. Of those people who have, what is your first impression?

I liked playing OG Freddy but I'm walking into his rework with open arms to see if I can learn his new style. I'm sure he still has lots of potential to mind game and everything, it'll just take time :)

• purebalance7

That happens with ALLLLL Freddys. I've seen it happen to the better streamers constantly so don't try that bullcrap.

• purebalance7

Dream transition was WAYYYYYY to long without add ons. No other killer had to wait that long after finding someone to just M1 them.

• purebalance7

That backpedal that wasn't even right still. The aura reading means you failed at chases, not finding people. Freddy was one of the hardest killers to actually initially locate survivors. If you got found by a Freddy, he didn't lack skill at finding or tracking. The dream state aura punished you for your initial lack of hiding from someone who has a terrible screen state to work with in finding you.

Much less by your logic, Nurse players lack skill at chases; Billy, Myers, LF, and GF lack skill at getting a second hit on players, and the Spirit lacks skill at mind gaming.

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656

It would be cool if they kept the old Freddy in the game. A mechanic like Legion, having different characters. But instead of different genders you would have Freddy 1.0 and freddy rework to switch between them. I personally liked the old Freddy playstyle. He wasn't strong in high ranks but after rank reset he was really fun. Even without perks and add-ons.

• BembridgeScholars
    BembridgeScholars Member Posts: 68

Idk how it will change by hopefully be for the better .devs have a habit of catering to the survivors. Well just have to wait and see

• NeonAlien
    NeonAlien Member Posts: 328

Yeah, that's true. But then again, he was invisible with only a TR in form of vague music. Unless you catched some lowkey moving grass, you were oftentimes at a loss as to where to hide or where to run to.

• Captain_Doomsday
    Captain_Doomsday Member Posts: 175

Well, the usual design move when reworking a character who had appreciated components is to rehash them for a later release. Maybe Freddy's playstyle will come back after a few adjustments.

• brokedownpalace

It wasn't a backpedal, you are apparently just unable to read what I wrote.

And no, finding survivors when you're invisible is not difficult.

Giving Freddy an ugly filter that makes it hard to see is a poor design decision, not a reason to give him infinite aura reading, which is a cheap, lazy power.

Moving on now.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I'm excited about new Freddy, but having recently lost Legion, I don't want to lose a second killer I enjoyed playing.

Reskin old Freddy, call him something else, tweak his stats a little and release him back.

Some people don't want old Freddy back because they think he's weak. Don't play him then.