PSA: Bad ISP Is Now Bannable

Garresh
Garresh Member Posts: 41

I just got a weeklong ban for Unsportsmanlike Behavior. I was admittedly confused at first. I thought that meant harassment, which I don't do. But I checked the reports page.

"UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT

• Botting
  • Lag switching
  • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
  • For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

ABOUT DISCONNECTS BANS - DO NOT REPORT

The escalation is now 1 week / 2 weeks / 4 weeks / Permanent ban"

A little background. I have a terrible ISP. Probably 75% of the time it's...functional. But without warning it will crap out horribly for a few hours, which has gotten me accused of lag switching. It's to the point where if it happens midway through a game I usually just write it off, and switch to mutual farming and let them escape because it's not fair for the survivors. Dedicated servers when? Anyways, since killers are server host for a game, if you have a bad ISP you can now be banned for it. So yeah. Just a heads up if you have a laptop and travel. As if killers didn't already have enough problems. sigh

So yeah. If your ISP is bad don't play killer while it's crapping out or you'll get banned.

Comments

• Garresh

Oh, and if the devs are watching. Do yourself a favor and check how many disconnects I have had DURING loading screen, or at the start of a game. You'd find an actual lag switcher wouldn't have so many D/Cs during load screen or start of game. Just saying.

• Garresh

Wait and I just realized. Sorry still processing this. Wouldn't VAC detect a lag switch? I'm not VAC banned on steam. Or do people who lag switch unplug their cables really fast from their computer....? How can you get a ban for lag switching without getting a VAC ban on steam?

• Garresh

It's a problem with where I rent, so I don't have any other ISP options.

The real killer is that 70% of the time there's no issues. When it transitions to bad connection I stop playing. And it can sometimes happen very suddenly. Or If I'm doing a ritual I do farm runs where I don't kill, and I don't do survivor rituals while I'm having issues. Like if the killer is "lag switching" but doesn't actually hook anyone and just gives out blood points should they still report? Also, Idon't know if it's good or bad until I log on and play. It really does vary depending on the time and day. I think this area is overloaded or something, but there's good stretches sometimes several days long without issue. It also seems to be more of an issue with packet loss than straight up speed issues, as youtube and streaming services work fine mostly.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Oh then your problem is more complicated than I thought. No idea how to fix it if it's not even speed issue, but packet loss as you say. However, the fact that you got banned for it shows that it's pretty serious: at this point, you need to DC a LOT to get banned for, or you need to lag a LOT too, to have enough reports for devs to ban you. People accuse and report killers for lagswitching all the time for no reason, so I'm sure the devs know to ignore most of these...

Ping indicators in lobby are not helping?

• Garresh

Apparently not. Either way it's absolutely absurd to get banned for lagging. Funny thing is I fired up Deceit just a bit ago and I'm having zero issues. Been playing for the last 3 hours with no problems. It's sporadic enough that it shouldn't be an issue. And for games with dedicated servers it ISN'T an issue most of the time.

• FredKrueger
    FredKrueger Member Posts: 265

But can't they tell a difference in your ping between bad internet and lag switching? I used to have bad net and always disconnected until I hardwired my ps4 and never once got banned.Never even got a warning. Might want to check into it.

• Garresh

They SHOULD, but then again these are the same devs who can't balance the game for crap, as shown by the Depip squad. Ugh.

• Garresh

Also, I play on PC, so maybe they assume I'm more likely to be using a lagswitching program? But if I was it would be detected by VAC. Does DBD not use VAC?

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Considering the threshold it takes to seemingly get banned for disconnecting, for your internet to be bad enough that you can somehow clear that simply due to bad connections means that you probably shouldn't be playing online games until you can find some way to get that sorted out (even if that ends up being difficult due to your specific circumstances), as your bad connections are both negatively impacting fellow players when the games get cancelled/ruined and eventually yourself when you end up getting mistaken for a deliberate DCer/lag-switcher.

• tehshadowman33
    tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939

That feel when the real killer is that regional ISP monopolies exist and continue to exist.

=(

• KhaineGB
    KhaineGB Member Posts: 10,623

DBD uses EAC, which is different from VAC.

Not entirely sure of how it's different from a technical aspect, but I know it's different.

• Lily0
    Lily0 Member Posts: 128

If ur connection is so ######### people think ur lagswitching every game you really shouldnt be playing online games in the first place lol

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,936

We do not discuss bans on the forum. I can tell you though that Unsportsmanlike Behaviour bans are issued for DC'ing also.

This discussion has been closed.