What happened to the Horror in this game

I watched some Alpha stuff as well as I remember how this game was AGES ago. It was all dark and tons of random noises. Now its bright and abour running rather than hiding.

Take me back.

Comments

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

So many killer's perks to find survivors make this game a chasing game. Now it's impossible to change this. I'd have preferred perks to reduce chases, pallets and windows but gave survs the possibility to stealth

• Its because BHVR discovered how fun it is to run around pallets for Survivor.

Thus they have focused less on Stealth Gameplay and more on that.

Give BHVR time, and suggest some ideas on how we can go back.

I for one, Want to see Windows with Glass that hurt survivors if they smash through them.

But Im a bit radical ;(

• prayer_survivor

Now is impossible to go back. Dozens of perks must be removed from killers

• MrSunbro
    MrSunbro Member Posts: 111

Even if we did re add the horror aesthetics the horror your game time jades you. The same thing over and over isn't scary

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

No thanks, I'm tired of seeing enough survivors just crouching and doing nothing while the rest of us have to entertain the killer.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

This is unfortunately likely to be correct. Many of the features introduced nominally for killers to use are actually done to make the game more like how survivors want it, or at least how they say they want it until they see the results. BBQ was obviously introduced because survivors wanted something done about hook-camping, but the devs had already tried punishing killers and it broke the PTB, so an incentive was all they had left.

Survivors complained about this, a feature put in to give them ultimately more chances to un-hook and be un-hooked and which meant more of the chases which was their preferred playstyle above and beyond stealth options.

When the Nurse was introduced, her flag-ship ability that everyone talks about is being able to blink even through obstructions, cutting-off looping. Less is said about two of her teachable perks: Stridor and Nurse's Calling, both perks which are specifically useful if you were just chasing someone but lost them, covering for Nurse's major weakness. The devs said at the time that Nurse was meant to make survivors less-reliant on looping, particularly infinites, but no explanation was given for why Stridor and NC were needed beyond them matching the theme for the Nurse.

The devs have tried giving survivors mitigations; more recently they can hide in lockers to block aura-reading as well as a perk for it. But survivors are either not making best-use of them or the designs are just too flawed.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

If you listen up on Tru3, he often talks about 'power roles' in the game, saying that a Survivor could have more power than Killer, hell, Killers could be laughed at and made a joke of by Survivors, why is Killer seen as weak? Don't know. Shouldn't be that way.

• prayer_survivor

This is not about the power role, this is about 5 people trying to have fun. I think less pallets and more stealth is better, but now it's impossible. This is exactly what I found when I started playing this game. The first game you start being stealth, not looping, and this is why you buy this game or continue playing. Then, you notice about killers' perks and looping begin and horror disappear.

• rina
    rina Member Posts: 90

Because players interacting with each other is much more interesting than hiding from killer or searching for survivors? I thought it was common sense.

Also every horror game becomes less scary the more you play it.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Honestly on top of what has already been said in the thread, it's just a ... thing with horror media in general. Nothing can stay spooky forever when you experience it over and over again.

• Nea_Death_Experience
    Nea_Death_Experience Member Posts: 316

So I talk here about the maps getting brighter and less noises. I dont talk about player interactions

• Nea_Death_Experience

Again, map changes. Sure my experience etc, but why are the making the maps brighter and brighter

• Fictionalname
    Fictionalname Member Posts: 121

I remember a qoute from someone of the devs saying something along the lines "We don't want our characters in the game to show fear, we want the player to be afraid."

If only this was the philosophy of the game - it being scary for survivors instead of being scary for killers.

• Nea_Death_Experience

But they could have a scary map. They could you the Noises with like jump scares and they could play noises of other killers deep in the distance like there are other trials going on ETC.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

Horror lies in the unknown

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

Fools! All of you! The horror is still in this game don't you realize in every trial the final obstacle is Post Chat it is so horrifying that there is an option to turn it off.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

it got lost somerhwere in this mess of loops and second chances... bullying the killer has taken its place since then :(

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

@Emeal That could actually work, there is no real reason not to add that into the game. Survivors could go to closed windows and just open them in case they need to jump through them later. If they Fast Vault through a closed window they can get the Deep Wounds effect, which we all know is really nothing since it won't go down in the TR so Survivors have nothing to complain about. If they Slow Vault through an already broken window it won't do anything because they're being careful.

An argument could be made that a Killer can close the window by hitting it but I think that would be too much power on the Killer's side and warrant a massive complaint from the Survivors. This worked in Friday The 13th which isn't a bad game, even though it ''failed'' it still has many features that are very creative and fun.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

Make the maps darker for survivors (not killers), add more ambiance, reinforce stealth gameplay (because its actually fun, stop saying it isn't)