Get rid of struggle

Options
Horus
Horus Member Posts: 850

When on last hook mashing a button is annoying and painful if you have carpal tunnel and also getting rid of it would stop people from purposely killing themselves

Comments

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

All of you are something else.

So if you were on the hook and have to hold against one of the entities tentacles, you would get tired and eventuality let go or slip, that's what this mechanic does, if you start to get tired pressing your struggle button or slip, that's it.

And also, I don't know why you guys are mashing your key, lmao no wonder you guys are going though keyboards, not because of the game, but because of you. Its like you guys are told to play the piano softly, but instead you just smash the notes and blame it on being pressured.

Instead of going SMASHSMASHPRESSPRESSMSASHPRESPRESSPRESSSMASH

Just go Press, press, press, press, press

• raw_bean
    raw_bean Member Posts: 20
    Options

Playing on PC but using a controller is great in this situation. Really easy with Steam to configure any controller to have a turbo function on the struggle button that kicks in after holding for a second or two (this stops it being a problem holding the same button to purchase nodes on a bloodweb).

Only slightly more complicated to bind a rapid cycle of thumbstick left and right presses to holding any control for a couple of seconds, for a wiggle button that doesn't damage your wrists or thumbstick.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

go to the options.

then change the struggle key from "spacebar" to "mousewheel down"

there you go.

• ThePigUwU
    ThePigUwU Member Posts: 4
    Options

I think struggling is fine the way it is. I usually press once every half second and that works. You don't really need to press it super fast to stay alive. That's just my experience though.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

I guess you hate game where you have to click a button repeatedly to live?

And im not saying that you should click every 1 seconds, im saying don't murder your mouse or key, if you want to click at the same rate, do it, just don't put brute force when pressing.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636
    Options

No.

Without the struggle in phase 2, a survivor who half-heartedly gives-up is then able to choose to inconvenience the killer by not dying immediately, then they're still able to change their mind if they happen to be rescued. This costs them nothing, whilst a killer always has to second-guess themselves about what all the survivors are doing.

On phase 1, the choice is patience: do you wait patiently for whatever happens or choose to take control by making attempts to escape that in probability, mean going to phase 2? The decision is about whether you are giving-up on the other survivors or not.

On phase 2, the choice is agency: you're hanging on for a few bloodpoints, to buy time for the others and/or defy the killer. The inconvenience of having to keep pressing a key pays for the killer having to keep tabs on you, which is a very small bar to meet. You can not be exercising agency if nothing is being asked of you to the point where you could walk away from the keyboard and come back to the same result.

Carpal-tunnel is not a trivial RSI, but key re-mapping still allows you to avoid it. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not a reason to make a change to gameplay. The devs only even bothered changing the white effect used for flashlight blinding last October, twenty months after the Unreal engine update had caused it to emit a dangerously-blinding light through higher-end monitors.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777
    Options

Definitely change it to being automatic. Obviously someone can just make it into a macro, but do we really need to do that? I agree tunnel really bothers my hand sometimes, and transitioning to PC soon, I have to say, I'm not looking forward to it.

Another question though, PC players: Do you press W and shift at the same time to walk straight? I can't seem to press W and not feel the urge and press shift. Has this ever happened to you? I know it's silly to ask, but I want to know. :D

• ArecBalrin
    Options

Where were you when people with sensitive eyes were being routinely blinded IRL for 20 months? The devs actively ignored warnings and survivors did not voluntarily stop using flashlights as a precaution. Sorry to take the accusatory tone; but you invited that standard. I'm happy to disregard it and keep to talking about the merits and cons of the OP's proposal, as long as you are.

Holding down buttons on the mouse and keyboard is also a cause of RSI, hence the popularity of low-actuation mechanical keyboards. Why single-out the button-tapping over holding down the 'W' key or M1?

If there are possible alternatives, I'm open to that, but why does this read as survivors wanting to avoid something that exists for a reason?

• ArecBalrin
    Options

Not agreeing with one thing does not imply support for its exact opposite.

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    Options

@Peanits what you think?

• JetTheWaffleCat
    JetTheWaffleCat Member Posts: 284
    Options

I'd be alright with anything that doesn't kill my hand or my keyboard.

• ygnea
    ygnea Member Posts: 116
    Options

Just use a macro.

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922
    Options

Bingo! Recently had to rebind struggle to my f key due to my spacebar breaking

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634
    Options

I'm up for this, too. The downsides would be negligible and the upsides would be noteworthy from both a killer and survivor side.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,431
    edited July 2019
    Options

What difference does it make? It’s all the same.

Xbox player btw.

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    Options
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

It's certainly better than the current mechanic and I would be certainly be okay if it were implemented. Whether it's better than outright removing it, I'm not entirely sure. I could go either way, personally. But this is much better than the current mechanic.

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696
    Options

For pc players make your button to struggle be Mouse down (aka the rolly bit of the mouse) makes it a lot easier

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I was replying to people saying we should make a macro

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922
    Options

If they were to do something like that I'd want them to make the struggle phase infinite or at the very least double unless everyone's hooked. However it would increase progressively over time until it is way to insanely difficult to even complete skillchecks etc.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    edited July 2019
    Options

I was replying to people saying we should make a macro

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    Options

@Maelstrom10 I originally thought the same thing. However, you got to remember newer players would die frequently that way. Gotta make a fair mechanic.

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    Options

I'm not personally fond of the struggle mechanic. I can envision a possible new one though.

Picture you are on the hook, and a circle is in front of you. On this circle, there are 4 smaller circles in the North, south, east, and west positions. Every so many seconds or so, (we'll say 7 for ease of example).....one of the smaller circles flashes in some way and you have to point your left analog stick/WASD keys in that direction.

If successful, you stave off one of the entities "claws" and can continue to live.

This prevents repetitive button mashing and continues to make sure you have to pay attention and not run to the fridge for a drink or something.

Just one of the many ideas I have, let me know what you think. (hopefully no one else has thought this one up yet.)

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    edited July 2019
    Options

The biggest issue i have, is that the shoulder wriggle has already borked one of my controllers after playing for a year, trying to use the left stick is like trying to guide my character, killer or survivor, through mud.

Apparently its not just me either, as i had to look it up.

Edit: I'm certainly not saying get rid of struggle but an alternative to wearing out controllers or my own hands would be a pleasant welcome

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

I could live with this so long as it is pretty forgiving. Like you have a 3 second window and if you happen to push the wrong button first you don't just die. This shouldn't be difficult in any way shape or form for the player. The goal is for there never to be an "accidental" death or damage to the players devices or hands through repetitive actions.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

EVERY game that has a button mashing mechanic should be changed. This is an idea that was never good. It has not aged well. It's time for button mashing to go the way of the dinosaur.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994
    Options

You obviously haven't played very many well made games. Well made games at the very least give you the option to press and hold a button, while others either make it a single press, or completely remove the mechanic. Button mashing has been studied, and the results published, in several medical journals since the arcades of the 1980s. Some of the damage endured by button mashing is permanent, especially in those who’s bones have not yet capped.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

so many instances where i died to lag because it made me stop struggling 🤡