Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Competitiveness in this game

Master
Master Member Posts: 10,200

In my opinion there are massive problems atm how "ranking" works in this game.

First of all, if there is a ranked mode, then there MUST be a casual mode for the players who dont want to play competitively. Otherwise this will ALWAYS lead to deranking in order to avoid the competitive players.
Second, ranking is completely meaningless if you reset it every month, why not reset every 3 months or sth like that.
Third, if there are no rewards for ranking up, then why would you go through the trouble of facing good opponents in an unbalanced game (this is another story, hopefully june improves thsi situation)

Comments

• Yaboi_Gengarboi
    Yaboi_Gengarboi Member Posts: 32
    I feel that an easy way to make ranks meaningful is to give rewards to high ranked players every reset. The rewards could include bloodpoints, items, or even cosmetics. These would more than likely encourage ranking up to accelerate the rate at which you level up your favorite characters.
  • Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

The "casual mode" is the ranked mode of this game, simply.
    The ranking is just an addiction meter, made for players to play the game over and over, and possibly not to be matched with players that are unable to play the game properly (Aka rank 20).
    I have respect for new players, but playing with them on a regular basis wouldn't be too pleasant, as an experienced player, against experienced killers, or even AS experienced killers, since killing new players becomes VERY QUICKLY boring.

• Master

@Yaboi_Gengarboi said:
    I feel that an easy way to make ranks meaningful is to give rewards to high ranked players every reset. The rewards could include bloodpoints, items, or even cosmetics. These would more than likely encourage ranking up to accelerate the rate at which you level up your favorite characters.

Yes, cosmetics are coming at some point (big anouncement)
    However, without a casual mode we will still have derankers

• Master

@Runiver said:
    The ranking is just an addiction meter, made for players to play the game over and over, and possibly not to be matched with players that are unable to play the game properly (Aka rank 20).
    I have respect for new players, but playing with them on a regular basis wouldn't be too pleasant, as an experienced player, against experienced killers, or even AS experienced killers, since killing new players becomes VERY QUICKLY boring.

The "casual mode" atm is playing a few games, then DC/afk one to lose the rank you gained
    Above certain ranks you will just face SWFs and loopers, which makes the game unfun in my opinion

The free weekend was really interesting, because the new players were actually trying to hide instead of runing at you, tbagging you and then proceeding to the infinites. Had a lot of fun, but sadly its over now

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

@Master said:

@Runiver said:

The "casual mode" atm is playing a few games, then DC/afk one to lose the rank you gained
    Above certain ranks you will just face SWFs and loopers, which makes the game unfun in my opinion

The free weekend was really interesting, because the new players were actually trying to hide instead of runing at you, tbagging you and then proceeding to the infinites. Had a lot of fun, but sadly its over now

atm, the issue isn't that you face SWF and loopers at "high ranks", tho, as killer.
    The main issue is that you don't face ANYTHING, since you cannot find a match efficiently under rank 10.

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    The ranking system is just supposed to be a measure of experience and skill.  

Not everyone is supposed to be rank 1 material, ranking is a goal, not an obligation.  

Plus, you wouldnt WANT to be at rank one if you are normally stuck in low rank, you are just going to die all the time and its not going to be fun.  

The ranking is similar to the elo in league of legends. Its just there to try to match players with people of similar skill level, so that the game is as fair as possible.
  • Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,895

I couldn't care less about my rank. I get no blood points, trophy....anything at all for my rank. So its meaningless to me.

• ThePloopz
    ThePloopz Member Posts: 1,010
    Runiver said:

I agree with the fact that as you gain experience you expect certain things from your teammates and it’s aggravating when your team doesn’t perform up to basic the standards that you’re used to.
  • Master

@Spiritbx said:
    The ranking system is just supposed to be a measure of experience and skill.  

Not everyone is supposed to be rank 1 material, ranking is a goal, not an obligation.  

Plus, you wouldnt WANT to be at rank one if you are normally stuck in low rank, you are just going to die all the time and its not going to be fun.  

The ranking is similar to the elo in league of legends. Its just there to try to match players with people of similar skill level, so that the game is as fair as possible.

Did you read what I wrote?
    In leauge of legends you have a casual mode if you wanna chill in a few rounds
    Also ranked doesnt reset every month, and even if it resets, it wont be a complete reset to rank 20 :wink:

• HIPSTERLION
    HIPSTERLION Member Posts: 323
    Honestly trying to make a 1v4 game competitive is pointless but ranking system is actually good but since there's no information in the game for it people think its like other games and you should try hard for rewards . the point of ranking system is that if you are a badass killer and your win rate is 95% you get to rank 1 so you meet people in your own skill and you don't ruin the fun for noobs .
  • Master

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Honestly trying to make a 1v4 game competitive is pointless but ranking system is actually good but since there's no information in the game for it people think its like other games and you should try hard for rewards . the point of ranking system is that if you are a badass killer and your win rate is 95% you get to rank 1 so you meet people in your own skill and you don't ruin the fun for noobs .

It is not pointless, why does everyone believe that balance is impossible in an asymetrical game?

That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means deranking

• HIPSTERLION
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

It is not pointless, why does everyone believe that balance is impossible in an asymetrical game?

That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means derankingMaster said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means deranking

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

You're just answering yourself lol . so as you said a good killer is gonna wreck survivors in rank 20 and gonna get wrecked in rank 1 and then you say it can be balanced . the only way this game can be balanced is to consider every1 swf and according to that nerf survivors and then maybe after that it gets balanced . but still solo players will get wrecked . so the fact pops up that it can never be balanced . it simply doesn't mean we should leave it . I still love this game and I will continue supporting it as much as I can as I know so many people will ., but facts are facts and can't be denied .
  • Master

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means derankingMaster said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

You're just answering yourself lol . so as you said a good killer is gonna wreck survivors in rank 20 and gonna get wrecked in rank 1 and then you say it can be balanced . the only way this game can be balanced is to consider every1 swf and according to that nerf survivors and then maybe after that it gets balanced . but still solo players will get wrecked . so the fact pops up that it can never be balanced . it simply doesn't mean we should leave it . I still love this game and I will continue supporting it as much as I can as I know so many people will ., but facts are facts and can't be denied .

My attempt to balance SWf would be to introduce ingame voice comms for everyone and then balance around that.
    An alternative would be to do 2 queues and the killer in the SWF qeueu gets 100% extra BP or sth

• HIPSTERLION
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

My attempt to balance SWf would be to introduce ingame voice comms for everyone and then balance around that.
    An alternative would be to do 2 queues and the killer in the SWF qeueu gets 100% extra BP or sth

There isn't a lot of people using mic so that can't be a thing . 
  • Master

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Excuse me?
    Voice chat is a necessity in every teambased competitve multiplayer game. Imagine a shooter like CSGO where a team plays withotu communication against one with, it would be laughable

• HIPSTERLION
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Excuse me?
    Voice chat is a necessity in every teambased competitve multiplayer game. Imagine a shooter like CSGO where a team plays withotu communication against one with, it would be laughable

Not saying it's a bad thing . I'm saying not a lot of people use mic so we can't say that by p
  • HIPSTERLION
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:
    Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Excuse me?

Not saying it's a bad thing . I'm saying not a lot of people use mic so we can't say that by putting voice chat in game every 1 will turn into swf
  • Master

@HIPSTERLION said:
    HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said:

Master said:

@HIPSTERLION said: Honestly trying to make a 1v4 game competitive is pointless but ranking system is actually good but since there's no information in the game for it people think its like other games and you should try hard for rewards . the point of ranking system is that if you are a badass killer and your win rate is 95% you get to rank 1 so you meet people in your own skill and you don't ruin the fun for noobs . It is not pointless, why does everyone believe that balance is impossible in an asymetrical game? That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means derankingMaster said: @HIPSTERLION said: Honestly trying to make a 1v4 game competitive is pointless but ranking system is actually good but since there's no information in the game for it people think its like other games and you should try hard for rewards . the point of ranking system is that if you are a badass killer and your win rate is 95% you get to rank 1 so you meet people in your own skill and you don't ruin the fun for noobs . It is not pointless, why does everyone believe that balance is impossible in an asymetrical game? That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means deranking Master said: @HIPSTERLION said: Honestly trying to make a 1v4 game competitive is pointless but ranking system is actually good but since there's no information in the game for it people think its like other games and you should try hard for rewards . the point of ranking system is that if you are a badass killer and your win rate is 95% you get to rank 1 so you meet people in your own skill and you don't ruin the fun for noobs . It is not pointless, why does everyone believe that balance is impossible in an asymetrical game? That might work until the killer realizes how broken the games balance is and that rank 1 is simply not enjoyable for him. If he decides to paly casually now, then this means deranking

Excuse me?

Not saying it's a bad thing . I'm saying not a lot of people use mic so we can't say that by putting voice chat in game every 1 will turn into swf

Sure, if you dont want to use a mic/dont have one, then go ahead and play without it.
    But if you are truly palying competitively, then there is no way around a mic. And btw, this is already the case NOW in DBD, a SWF with mics will always be stronger than without mics