The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What would be the true form of the Entity?

End_of_Slayer
End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 146

Title says it all, what do you believe the true form of this being would be? The manifestation that we see when it sacrifices the survivor is a form it can take, but what would it physically look like if we could comprehend what the being truly is.

side note, I think I found out what the Entity really looks like

Comments

• End_of_Slayer

That is true that the Entity is made up of the Auric Cells, but is it just that? The Auric Cells shouldn’t be intelligent enough to be able to form this twisted game. (Meanwhile the jokes were fantastic, this is a lore discussion)

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

It could very well be some demon, the hands on the hooks says it all.

• End_of_Slayer

it could be a demon, but the devs talked saying it was an ancient being, like a Great One from H.P. Lovecraft

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693
  • End_of_Slayer

Yeah, that what the Entity manifests into when sacrificing the survivors. It also blocks the gens if certain perks are equipped or for end game

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    edited July 2019

@End_of_Slayer

I was being facetious - and you led with the 'Nea is the Entity' meme.

That said, we don't pretend our animal cells are intelligent. We don't say that sapience or intelligence are in the cells of the human being, just as we wouldn't rightly claim that malevolence and hunger are in the auric cells of The Entity herself. The auric cells are just the building blocks for her physical manipulations, which she and we shape into everything from doors to generators to medkits - they're somewhere between body and nest, being something that she sheds and is able to perceive through, but are used similar to the pulp of an insect's nest to shape an environment. The devs have already confirmed that everything you see in the trial that isn't the survivors or killers themselves is the Entity, but the idea of separating auric cells from a literal manifestation still allows this to be possible.

The Entity herself is something removed from three-dimensional space, while the auric cells are within three dimensional space. The closest we can get to seeing the 'true form' is when her claws reach through the sky or ground to pull a survivor in. From what we can tell [by specific visual effects and sounds], the Entity herself is almost entirely in the Spirit World*, allowing limited access to the Hag, Nurse, Wraith, and Spirit for their powers which bend space - listed in progressive levels of access. I'd suggest that full access is equivalent to accessing specifically the fifth dimension, as it allows one to traverse both space and time.

Auric cells themselves behave similarly to plants: able to grow and adapt quite quickly with the right stimulus, and their/her flowering with the infection of the Hallowed Blight is just further evidence. Light appears to harm things connected to the spirit world and auric cells, as evidenced by specific scoring events with flashlights. The reason flashlights stun killers is because The Entity herself is looking through their eyes. The tutorial and lore about generators also indicates this vulnerability to light.

In total, the being of The Entity is similar in physical structure to a malleable combination of fungal growths (similar in scope to Armillaria ostoyae) comprised primarily of auric cells. These cells are produced and controlled by a being without a distinct physical form mostly bounded within the Spirit World, who seems most capable of reaching across dimensional boundaries during periods of extreme emotion - not just hope, but hope serves as the best nutrition. Whatever shape it has is one of five dimensions, and thus not something we could easily comprehend except through the approximations given by the claws we see - keeping in mind that these are auric constructs, and the swirling portals and orange lights are probably closer to literal examples of Her form.

*separate but connected to the Dream World, Void, The Trials/Campfire, and tenuously connected to the Real World.

Honestly, if we were gonna drag the Cthulhu mythos into this, I'd be leaning more toward forms like Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth than Shub-Niggurath or Cthulhu himself. If we're looking to be more grounded in our real world: I'd guess the trials are hallucinations as a vast fungus digests people, like Field Trip from The X-Files or something similar.

Post edited by ElusivePukka on
  • End_of_Slayer

I agree with a lot of those statements. The Entity is the whole trial, and the devs stated that the basement is the closest point to the Entity because the trials are like a flower, it blooms upwards. Which would explain the cracking you hear when you enter the basement, it’s the same cracking that we hear from the Entity when it manifests itself to block a gen or window, or when sacrificing.

Another thing is the whispers, it can speak, the words seem to be only understood by pure madness. Hence why the killers can hear it, and the survivors can only hear it while in tier 3 madness

• NerfItNow
    NerfItNow Member Posts: 8

I always thought the true form is that it'd be like the Mind Flayer (The Stranger Things 3 version)

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

Cosmic horror is something our minds can't exactly fathom, it is the fear of the unknown that is what frightens us, we think we want to know but at the same time do we really? i also wonder what the true form of this malevolent being is. However, at the same time, this very thing could make me go insane if i even think about looking at it while it is in it's true form.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

I imagine it would be similar to Dogora

One thing I've always found funny is that despite these super beings like the entity being so advanced and above time and space, they've essentially just become super parasites, parasites being one of the lowest and primitive orders of life

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

The true form of the entity

• End_of_Slayer

That’s what the Entity is made up of, not exactly the true form. It’s still something our minds cannot comprehend. Meaning it’s not truly it’s real form. If we were to truly comprehend it’s real form, what would it actually be? Because then we would understand it’s language and even understand the entire meaning behind it’s existence

• grayon444
    grayon444 Member Posts: 757

I don't think this should exist.It's an evil god that just kinda showed up and now wants to grow even more than before.

• End_of_Slayer

But how did it show up? Something had to awaken the thing in the first place. It couldn’t have just now appeared out of thin air to grab people. That’s why it has to have a physical form, something we can comprehend if we were resting on the same insight as it. We don’t know how long it has been here, we don’t know what summoned it. Hell, we don’t even know where it originated from, because that’s important into figuring out this whole thing. Find the origin, find the way to potentially destroy it.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    TheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172
    edited September 2019

I believe the entity to be a sentient and almost omnipotent being, Who created a pocket dimension within Earth's realm.

It seems to feed off strong emotions wether negative (killers) or positive (survivors). It also seem to become increasingly powerful has it is now able to bring survivors and killers from the distant past. As well has manifesting itself during Halloween.

Of course Nea is his daughter, a link into our world.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Not all great ones look like Cthulhu. Some, like Narhlothep (I think I butchered that), can have human form. It's concept was definitely based off of Lovecraft's works though.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

After re-watching the new IT movie and doing some research, it seems the entity was GREATLY influenced by the IT lore. Instead of fear to "salt" it's meat, it uses hope. So maybe it's from the same Macroverse and it looks more like the deadlights (An orange blobby spider thing. Sound familiar?)

Also, if the entity is made of auric cells and given what those represent in-game isn't this more accurate?

• End_of_Slayer

Definitely seems lovecraftian. Like one of the Eldrich truths. I wouldn’t say that it’s greatly based off of IT’s lore. Granted it does feed off of strong emotions, but it doesn’t consume the survivors just a part of their soul. Could it be a deadlight? Yeah, it’s possible, but I don’t think the devs would go down that path. It seems to be based off of more Lovecraftian stuff than IT, but it doesn’t mean that both are incorrect.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

I'm not implying they ripped it off from IT, just inspired from that among many other things. There is so much pre-existing concepts of "unknown evil yadda yadda" in literature. (Mind you lovecraft started a lot of it)

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Why not? A single cell isn't what causes intelligence, it's the full collection. They are cells that make up an entire being, that being is referred to as the entity.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

The entity, as we see it, is everything we see apart from the killers (except possibly the upcoming Demogorgon, if you're willing to believe it's a copy the entity has made) and the survivors. Even the tools they use and the clothes they wear are made of the Entity (Entity X ? inbound). Outside of that it manifest directly using auric cells, or as an energy of some kind.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

According to the (admittedly crappy) bio the Demogorgon has, she chose the creature as it was perfect for the trials.

The auric cells are the building blocks of everything you see in DbD. Just like many different cells make us humans up. As for her true form, I would imagine it wouldn't be anything we could possibly imagine, but I would think it akin to a floral or fungal appearance.

• End_of_Slayer

I understand that the Entity is made up of Auric cells, that’s what’s its made of, not technically it’s true form. Even stuff from Lovecrfft and IT have a real form (Cthulhu or other great ones and Deadlights respectively) Our minds cannot comprehend it (yet) but there are things that we don’t know.

If our minds can comprehend this being, what would its true form be? Where did it originate from? How can we speak it’s language or possibly understand it?

Another thing is, the Entity made everything in the trials (doubt the thing with clothes but that’s a different topic.) The one thing besides survivors and killers that the Entity didn’t create was the hatch. One of the survivors made that (possibly Vigo) and the Entity decided to keep it for the trials, but has clearly gained knowledge of how it works. I.e. killers are now able to close it

• Pugpablo123
    Pugpablo123 Member Posts: 115

New Benedict Baker journal pages have been leaked, and here is a true picture of the Entity, confirmed by the developers.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited September 2019

He wears a hockey mask. Hangs around his favourite summer camp. Has serious mother issues.

• grayon444
    grayon444 Member Posts: 757

The entity is everything.She doesn't have a form and can make herself look like anything.For example the toilet you sit on to do your thing might be the entity, how would you feel then, huh?

• End_of_Slayer

Well, the Entity is everything in its realm besides the survivors and killers. But it has to have a physical form, it’s not a conglomerate being, it has a true form to it, even if our minds cannot comprehend it. Kate even saw what it “looked” like when she got taken. Black limbs descended from the heavens and she bashed a rock against it, only for it to bounce off Iran iron like flesh. Then she got taken

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

It has no "true" form, it's closer to a cellular hivemind which can use itself to construct environments and items. The closest you can get to a true form is an auric cell, or rather the conglomorate of all auric cells.

• End_of_Slayer

Cells aren’t the “true” form of a human, the whole body is. That would mean the cells aren’t the actual entity, just what makes it. Every being has a true form, even if your mind cannot comprehend it. Take Cthulhu as an example, Cthulhu has a true form, even if our mind still cannot comprehend what it is, it has a physical body it can manifest itself as. Meaning the Entity would have a true form as well, even if we, ourselves, cannot comprehend what the being would look like