Hm... To buy, or not to buy? (50€ Trapper Mask)

Options
Caffeine
Caffeine Member Posts: 83

Have any other waves come out yet? (like, does anyone own one?) Or is this going to be the first batch?

I'm on the fence with buying it and combining it with some black fishing waders and going as the Trapper for Halloween, and then put it on my wall after that point... but I'm also afraid at the potential quality for the price of nearly $60 USD, LOL.

When I saw "Polyurethane Foam" - I immediately stepped back for a minute and pictured a painted piece of Styrofoam that'll rip the moment I try to put it on haha! But then I remembered: Polyurethane foam is the type of stuff that they use as matress toppers! Does anyone here have any experience with these types of masks? What kind of quality can you expect?

Not only is DBD one of my favorite games of all time, the trapper is one of the two main characters I switch between, and the mask (being made out of polyurethane instead of natural rubber latex) would be a good choice given my anaphylaxis when coming in contact w/ latex :P

Agh... I'm SO torn right now. Look at this sexy thing! Do I just go for it? :D

Comments

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    Options
    Do it
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

If it's not official, I recommend you don't.

• Caffeine
    Options

@Orion said:
    If it's not official, I recommend you don't.

It is the "TRAPPER MASK 1:1 WEARABLE REPLICA" from the Dead by Daylight official store (if that's what you mean) :)

• Cardinal_Copia
    Cardinal_Copia Member Posts: 139
    Options
    I ordered one of these beautys. Hope it arrives soon...
  • OXY
    OXY Member Posts: 68
    Options

Go for it! If you don't end up regretting it years down the line.

I bought them Fallout 3/4 bobbleheads years back, they are just sat on my shelf collecting dust, staring at me. Waste of money tbh. If you think it will be the same with this then maybe rethink:) At least you can wear this I guess.

• Shipthebread
    Shipthebread Member Posts: 415
    edited July 2018
    Options

Go look at shipping, I think shipping alone is $60 as well. They must have them made on the moon or something. @Caffeine

• Cardinal_Copia
    Options
    Lucky me lives in germany. That's where the mask is send from. So shipping is just a few bucks.  :)
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
    Anyone knows about the general quality of the DbD merch store? Don't feel like spending 50€ and getting a crappy made in China product.

I made this mistake once on a different merc store.
  • Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    Anyone knows about the general quality of the DbD merch store? Don't feel like spending 50€ and getting a crappy made in China product.

Considering they opened the store after opening their marketing to asia, I wouldn't risk it.
    Tho you never know ?

• Tsulan
    Options

@Runiver said:

@Tsulan said:

Considering they opened the store after opening their marketing to asia, I wouldn't risk it.
    Tho you never know ?

Good point

• VESSEL
    VESSEL Member Posts: 1,068
    Options

Probably not. Better things to spend money on.

• Cardinal_Copia
    Options
    Bought a Shirt from them at gamescom. Can't say something negative. 
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

Inform yourself where the mask is manufactured, then do an educated decision whether it is worth the price for you

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    Options
    If it’s not the quality you expect you have the right to a refund on return.
    i have a few masks made from the same foam and they are all great, they make it from this so it’s durable and light enough go to wear

• Caffeine
    Options

@Shipthebread said:
    Go look at shipping, I think shipping alone is $60 as well. They must have them made on the moon or something. @Caffeine

I checked it out, and the shipping is definitely expensive.

In total, converting currency to USD and paying for overseas shipping, it'll be about $80 for the mask.

• Caffeine
    Options

$71 USD later after the mask and fees, and we've got it ordered!

My heart hurts to spend this much on a collectible... - But I couldn't NOT do it.

it is "Trap Daddy" after all! --- (although I'm more fond of "Papa Trap" LOL)

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874
    edited July 2018
    Options

If i where you I would have try to made it myself, it would have roughtly cost you as much to buy what you would need to make it yourselfand you would have learn a skill you could have capitalize on later.

Also IMO it would look way better if the mask was actually made of carved wood instead of being made of Polyurethane Foam
    But that's just my opinion

• Caffeine
    Options

@Dragonredking said:
    If i where you I would have try to made it myself, it would have roughtly cost you as much to buy what you would need to make it yourselfand you would have learn a skill you could have capitalize on later.

Also IMO it would look way better if the mask was actually made of carved wood instead of being made of Polyurethane Foam
    But that's just my opinion

I wish I had that level of artistic skill :(

And I have a lot of health issues as of late, though. Very shaky hands, dizziness, and falling asleep at random - so I'm not sure I would want to spend 70 USD on materials for a mask that I know I would mess up LOL.

If I had that kind of artistic talent, though... I'd be making a leatherface mask and everything! :P

• GrimmGenocide
    GrimmGenocide Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I made my own :) paper mache base, then just went at it, took about three days for forming it, painting and clear coating
  • Tsulan
    Options

@GrimmGenocide said:
    I made my own :) paper mache base, then just went at it, took about three days for forming it, painting and clear coating

totally unrelated... but you have 0 posts. This one included.
    O_o

• Cardinal_Copia
    Options
    I hope it's getting shipped this time. I finally want my neighbors to suffer in fear and agony. 
  • Tsulan
    Options
    I hope it's getting shipped this time. I finally want my neighbors to suffer in fear and agony. 
    Just do the same as I did: walk around naked and pick up stuff in front of the open window.

My neighbors are terrified!
  • Cardinal_Copia
    Options
    Tsulan said:
    Just do the same as I did: walk around naked and pick up stuff in front of the open window.

My neighbors are terrified!
    Nice. Going to try this! I hope i'm going to have a great time.