Doc changes?

Options
MasonMyers69
MasonMyers69 Member Posts: 246
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

What's the ideology behind the doctor changes which were mentioned slightly in stream, I wouldn't mind a bit more information, hopefully it isn't nerfs considering he's a weaker killer anyway.

Comments

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

The thing I hope for the most is a bigger Shock Therapy by standard.

• MasonMyers69
    Options

I just hope it's buffs and not nerfs, the past isn't exactly a good example, I.E old freddy, plague, legion, ghostface

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

i honestly hope he doesnt get big changes...

some buffs here and there would be neat (like his shock range increased by default) or animations actually being interrupted by an succesfull shock (so that the vault animation is canceled after being shocked instead of the survivor just sprinting at the window and then vault it)

but i dont think he is in desperade need of buffs / changes tbh.

definitely no nerfs xD

i think it'll turn out to be nerfs though, as many survivors consider the doc to be "unfun" to go up against (which i can understand for a 3 gen impossible skillcheck build doc) which imo he isnt. his power is unique, he is a cool killer in both idea and design and i just love him.

(yes, i happened to be a doc main at some point. in fact, he was the sole reason for me to return to the game, since when hag got introduced i got a huge burn out with the bully simulator DbD was at that point and quit for several months, until he came out aaand i got hyped and got back into it)

• Boss
    Options

To be fair, people found Nightmare unfun enough to warrant a rework, and I hear a lot of positive feedback so far.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

I’m hoping it’s just buffs the addition of a second Ultra Rare add-on. He does not need a rework at all. Here is what I would like to see in regards to buffs for Doctor:

1. Increase shock therapy range by at least 25%. The current base range is ridiculously small to the point where you won't even want to use it because you'll be in M1 range. Adjust range add-ons to compensate for this buff if necessary.
    2. Increase movement while charging up the shock to at least 105%. He can lose a lot of distance from just trying to use his shocks.
    3. Remove or significantly shorten the shock delay. This is just dumb, I really don't understand why it exists in its current state. Is it to give Survivors a good chance to dodge the shock?
    4. Significantly shorten or remove the transition between switching modes.
    5. Add the illusionary pallets to his base kit. They would spawn within an unlimited range of the Doctor every 20 seconds (like the current version of the Very Rare Order add-on). 
    6. Have the Order series of add-ons either buff the illusionary pallets somehow (maybe let the Survivor drop them if they’re standing) or do something new instead (like have the illusions perform some kind of action).
    7. This one is just personal (I'm not even sure if it's true and would probably be more of a QoL change), but the illusions shouldn't spawn on a different floor than the Survivor they're tracking on multi-floored maps like The Game. It's really annoying to check one floor because of the illusion and then find nothing because the Survivor was actually on the other floor.
    8. New Ultra Rare add-on: Dr. Otto Stamper’s Files. The static field becomes map wide and shock therapy range is increased by 50% but the charge time is slightly increased (10%). 

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,566
    Options

They also, rightfully with Legion, said that about Legion, Plague and GhostFace

• MasonMyers69
    Options

I see a lot of negative feedback about legion and plague.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,566
    Options

I meant old Legion, I don't think anyone liked him but the state he is in now is awful. Plague got nerfed in the PTB as well.

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    Options

Hopefully has shock therapy will be stronger and punishment and treatment are combined also MORE LAUGHS

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,346
    Options

I'm going to have to disagree with some people, he certainly needs made a lot stronger but he also needs changed to be less annoying to play against (shock cancelling vaults, revealing downed survivors, etc.)

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I don't doubt they'll absolute gut him.

He's a weak killer and not all that fun to play, but in line with most of their other "reworks" they just remove everything survivors find annoying to play against and leave a killer that barely has a power.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited July 2019
    Options

I thought that Legion and Freddy have been the only two Killers to receive reworks to their base kits and not just straight buffs or nerfs to them. If the devs do decide to rework his base kit instead of just his add-ons, hopefully he ends up stronger like what happened with Freddy and not weaker or a tiny bit stronger like Legion did.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

I think they're gonna buff his base kit and cuange some of his add-ons and probably add a second ultra rare.

• Boss
    Options

Looks like the reworks are doing way better than the releases. 🤣

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

Personally, I'd like to see dropped pallets get destroyed because it would punish survivors who try the safe route, rather than continuing to loop him.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923
    Options

I think base doc is the problem not his add-ons and i want.

• His base shock range increase by 25%.
    • Slightly increased m/s while charging shock.
    • A fix about vaulting when they are shocked.

Doc is fun to play as but isn't fun to survivors and that i don't know they should handle it.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651
    Options

Beyond the clunkiness of switching modes and the unreliability of shock therapy I also think that the static field and the effects of madness need to be looked at.

Static Field really does not do much beyond giving you that first scream and the effects of madness are all pretty weak unless you are at lvl 3 and need to snap out of it. Off center skillcheck will only annoy new players but don't do anything against decent survivors.

Likewise, Doc's hallucinations are funny when you experience them first, but they really don't do anything to confuse the survivors and are only usefull if you run a Restraint add-on.

The whole idea is that currently, madness is not a good pressure tool. Most of its effect are more annoying than effective.

• anarchy753
    Options

He could quite reasonably lose the 2 forms.

It would make him a lot more streamlined if he could simply be an M1 killer with the ability to zap when he chooses to. It would also put more power into the killer's hands to make better use of the stun as they aren't slower, followed by a channel THEN going for a hit from it.

I imagine he's going to lose a LOT of the screams and potentially all of his tracking will be limited to add ons since survivors don't like that and what survivors don't like goes away.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

While getting rid of the stance system and givi g him static field and the shock as M2 would be a good buff for the killer, i doubt it'll happen.

• He'd lose the movement speed penalty, which would give devs reason to gut the shock and field
    • He'd need new animations/skeleton rig, as currently punishment and treatment mode fature differences, making him use his right hand for shocking? Are you a madman? Do you know how long that'd take the devs to build? (Sorry for sarcasm)
    • Un-"fun" for survivors if he can shock and then attack right after without delay or has permanent static field.
  • anarchy753
    Options

He basically has permanent field anyway, there's not a lot of time spent in punishment. The way I see it he'd gain strength in a chase and more usability on his zap and zap combo, but lose a lot of the madness tracking. Survivors complain far more that screaming reveals them when they're basically safe. Look at Freddy's sleep, or Legion's Deep Wound, any debuff which actually impacts survivors significantly becomes trivial pretty fast.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    Options

Doctor needs his power slightly reworked cause it's just super unreliable right now

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

The problem is that Madness is supposed to be annoying to deal with. The whole concept of doctor was to annoy survivors, "breaking the game", remember?

Then devs did a 180 in their design philosophy somewhere before or after spirit's release and now killers must be fertilizer for the potato field.

Cant have an annoying debuff permanently on potatoes.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

You mean him being able to shock downed pallets and shatter them? That would be awesome!

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

These are some ideas I posted that didn't really get any attention cause they were moved to the wishlist. Or they're just terrible haha

"Let Doctor target a distant gen the way Freddy can. He summons a hallucination of himself that grabs onto the generator and sends bolts of electricity into it, causing it to overcharge. Any survivor working on it or within a certain range is shocked, unable to move for a few seconds and sent instantly into madness 3. They also scream and the Doctor can see their location.

A few add ons are altered to do different things with this power. For instance one doesn't shock survivors but instantly regresses the gen a certain amount (combine that with Overcharge!).

Maybe another add on could allow Doctor to see what his hallucinations see for a couple seconds."

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Hallucinations are there to give survivors away more than scaring people or anything else, even at tier2 without the aura reading they are incredible useful if you pay attention, his power is mainly built around detecting people, getting information easily and using said info to apply pressure and stall the game (one of the worst mistakes I see in Doctors is running stuff like BBQ, Nurse's Calling, Discordance or other aura reading stuff instead of chase shortening perks like Bamboozle or Brutal Strength).

I believe Doctor should get a longer shock (not much tho) and it should also affect in a small radius around him (a few meters so survivors dont hug him to avoid it), maybe a slight speed buff to changing stances and some addon rework.