Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Interrupting Actions and Animation Overhaul

Raptorrotas
Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

For a long time I've had this concept in the back of my head which I'd like to hear some opinions about.

I want to make it more dangerous for survivors if the killer attacks them during an action. As it stands of today, unless you can grab them, they can for example keep breaking a totem and then still zoom away with the after hit sprint, especially if the reliable grab bugs out.

What I propose are simplified mini stuns or changed animations resulting in less hit sprint. While it'd be easy to simply slow the survivor down, the animations itself should be changed to give the survivor and killer more feedback as to what happened.

Most survivor actions can be split up in in multiple segments in their sequence; take "grabbing window, jumping/climbing over it and landing" for window vaults. Getting hit during such a segment could result in every following segment be replaced by a differently animated one. Instead of "grabbing window, jumping, landing" we would get "grabbing window, getting hit, botched jump making the survivor fall, getting up again"

For continous action like repair, sabotage, cleansing or healing there should be a small "getting hit" animation similiar to failed skillchecks that either completely stops the interaction or pauses the progress like the one from failed skillchecks. While i personally am for extending the timeframe for grabs or such interruptions for a short moment after the survivors stop those interactions, it might be too much.

Obviously this would need a lot of work for the animation team, as they'd need to create a lot of different segment for each possible sequence. It also depends in how many segments each action would be split into, as it'd be more accurate to have more segments.

As somewhat equivalent exchange on the killer side, this concept would also apply to pallet stun saves, flashlight saves or interrupting the killer during the hooking animation (although the last is questionable at best)

Tl;dr
  • Replace the rest of a vault animation by a slower version after getting hit.
  • Mini stun survivors with "getting hit" animation during continous actions, similiar to failed skillchecks (repair, sabotage, cleanse, search
  • Add animation for such occurences.

Comments

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Im gonna say making someone slow vault a window just because you hit them is abit much, expecially when you take STBFL into consideration. The followup hit would be rather quick.