The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

the great grinding divide is upon us

alright, first of all yes, the title is dramatic. i couldn't think of anything else. but i feel this is something that needs to be addressed. so we all know about the grind for bloodpoints right now, its not great for newer players. so the devs are going to be reworking the bloodweb to hopefully make it easier. buuut im not sure if people realize theyre also adding in more grinding to the game... theyre reworking one thing that requires grind, but theyre adding TWO MORE. the battle pass, and the archives. but the thing is, this doesnt necessarily mean there will be more grind... it will mean more grind for those who care.

people who dont care about cosmetics or lore will benefit from the bloodweb rework. people who care about cosmetics will need to grind away for the battlepass. people who care about lore will need to grind away at the archives challenges. people who care about both will have to grind 3 separate things all at once.

i know some will think "well if you care about those things then you should be fine with the grind". well no, not really cause right now we all care about the bloodweb and leveling up our favorite character, or all characters or whatever, and we're not happy with it. its quite possible that the grind for these two things will also be painfully long. and it will only effect certain people. and honestly, it'll only effect the people most invested in the game. make it harder for the people who care about the game more.

i suppose i cant really complain about specifics until we see how its actually implemented, but i just want the community aware that while bloodweb grind is going down, more grind is being added, and it'll only effect certain players. the people who want to look good or awesome or whatever, and the lore fanatics are gonna have to grind more than those who dont.

Comments

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Honestly I don't mind about this Battle-pass or Lore stuff, its completely optional. The reason why the BW grind sucked was because you would have to grind, grind, grind, and grind potentially millions of BP just to get something that would you grind faster (BBQ) or a perk that would finally let you play like you wanted

The only problem is by the time I got the perk(s) I would be incredibly tired of the game and just stop playing for a few weeks. I mean it's fun at first having to experiment with different perk combinations until you get what you want but after the first few dozen games having to play with an unoptimal loadout or without anything you want gets aggravating

If people want to grind for lore and cosmetics that's totally fine. Gives something more to work towards like Hallowed Blight was

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907

true. let me clarify, im not against working for it. honestly it'll be fun to work towards the lore for me. im just worried about how much of a grind it'll be. if its a ridiculous amount then it won't be anywhere near as fun to unlock the lore.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

While I approve greatly of the Archives / Lore part of the upcoming features, I am severely against the idea of a Battle Pass. The game already feature overpriced-as-######### cosmetics with a option to buy cosmetics for shards, which by themselves are extremely tedious to get because of intentional grind walls.

Slap on a monthly subscription fee on top of that, keep the store prices as is, and Behavior will be rolling in money.

I honestly cannot believe how people can be so accepting to this. They're being screwed from their behinds while chanting the mantra "its just cosmetics" like the corporations have taught them.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

I only accept a BP if it doesn't cost too much and has a fair amount of content in it.

But knowing how lazy and greedy behaviour is....eh.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

The "companyman BAD" vibe these anti-bp posts have got old real fast.

• Catbucket
    Catbucket Member Posts: 335

from what we've seen so far, there seem to be bloodpoints on them at places, so yeah, that certainly seems like it might!

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Battlepass would be bad if you HAD to participate. Or if you got game altering perks or add ons. As i see it, if you want to pay for cosmetics then go for it. If not. Don't. Why complain about something you aren't being forced to use?

As far as archives, as long as they don't make timed events, then everything should be unlocked just by playing. You may have to play different characters now and then, which will suck for survivors. Bit for killers, sometimes you find a hidden gem when trying out new characters. For instance i hated the hag. Tried to play her a couple of times on ps4 before my daughter stole it and absolutely hated her. (Hag not my daughter) Then I got xbox one and wanted ruin. So i forced myself to play her and now she's one of my favorite killers to play. Off topic i know but, it's really only a grind if you think of it like that.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It's because it's optional and no needed. You wish to support the devs pay for it. If you are against it don't. You are not forced to buy anything to play the game.

Horvath stated on the anniversary stream there will be no p2w aspects to the archives/battlepass. This is the one thing which makes it fine as p2w is the one aspect which angers players.

The question is why is someone against a company putting an optional pass out and wanting to make money that the players don't have to participate in? The simple answer is people get annoyed with what they want but dont actually need.

Nothing is needed in DBD that is expensive to actually play the game and so the complaints over the upcoming battlepass that are cosmetics or lore simply come down to an I want.

I would never buy a battle pass as I think it's a waste of money. Its just digital pixels that don't change the gameplay in any way.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@se05239 I 1000% percent agree with you. The predatory practices of BHVR since the store(Curtain Call release) is disgusting. If people want to buy overpriced cosmetics that is on them but a battle pass to boot. Monthly or Quarterly doesn't matter. You have bought the game, chapters, charity cases, cosmetics whatever, start looking at how much you have spent and tell me that BHVR has to make money too!

• Lightsaber09
    Lightsaber09 Member Posts: 46

Im fine with the current bloodweb, but this whole "Battle pass thing" if they're doing it like H1Z1 sounds dumb

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Is the blog post about the reduced grind coming soon? I know they said the end of the month which is getting here soon. I guess I answered my own question lol

• Catbucket

its literally just cosmetics, so dont worry about it if you dont care.

• Ghost_Potato
    Ghost_Potato Member Posts: 59

If the battlepass is not free in a game I paid for already and was never free to play. Then I will stop playing one of my favorite games because the way they keep adding things that free to play game have to make money. I have already sunk close to $200 just for base content.

• Catbucket

again, the paid battlepass is just random ass cosmetics, it doesnt effect you at all.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I have no problem with as much cosmetic-focused grind as they want to put into the game. It doesn't affect gameplay, and it's for fun and to show off. That type of grind is the best, because it gives you something to work toward without kneecapping your play options. As a former Overwatch player, I can tell you that I put a lot of effort into getting skins and such.

Reducing the perk grind is important. I'm still really curious to hear more information this upcoming Bloodweb change that @Peanits mentioned a few days ago.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Purchasable content does.

As in a purchasable base game.

As in 10-12 purchasable DLCs.

As in an existing cosmetic store.

DBD has such a huge cost investment just to unlock the game and characters, and (almost) everything on top of that costs more again. A battle pass is then adding another free-to-play moneymaking method to an already paid game. It's getting excessive.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

The only thing we're (technically) missing is lootboxes, and we have a true and honest EA title on our hands. If Behavior's seeing the green, then that's always an upcoming option.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

One of the "pillars of the store" or whatever when it was released was that "you can always buy whatever you want, nothing will be unavailable or locked behind chance.

Since they confirmed a few streams back that the battle pass is now going to have paid cosmetics locked behind it, that's out the window. Lootboxes are probably coming soon(tm)

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

They aren't forcing anyone to buy anything! If you don't want it, don't buy it, plain and simple. I think it is great that there are people out there willing to pay out $10 on a cosmetic item that doesn't affect gameplay. This just helps keep the game alive without forcing anyone to pay anything. I personally can't justify paying for an outfit, but i will gladly pay for a new chapter which helps support one of my favorite games. As long as behavior is making money, they will keep rolling out new content which will add to the longevity of the game.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I think it's amazing that non-licenced DLC is free (with iridescent shards). I would not have batted an eyelid if they had charged for every one.

But as for the grind, I'm expecting to be able to grind for several things at once: bloodpoints, my daily quests, my weekly/monthly quests(?), cosmetics. If that is the case then I am just being encouraged to play more. I'm not been expected to grind more.

(I've read the word grind so many times on this page, the word looks silly now)