The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why does the hatch even exist?

Seriously. Why? As a killer I destroy a SWF group once in a blue moon. When I say destroy I mean only 1-2 gens repaired with 2 sacrifices. But I still have to slug, and look for the last guy. Which at that point I've already won, and all this hunting I'm doing for a hidden survivor is just a form of holding the game hostage imo. So either the sluged survivor bleeds out, or I find the last guy.

They bleed out, and the hatch opens. Why? Why does the last survivor get to play "who can find the hatch first mini-game?"

As a survivor when a killer destroys my team I find the hatch, and escape about 70% of the time. And although I'm glad I kept my items I always think to myself that I shouldn't be able to do that.

I don't get the logic behind absolutely 100% getting crushed, and still winning.

I know the killer can find it first, and close it. And I know for a lot of people the killer always finds it first. Experiences vary. But it still makes me laugh at how weird it is when I escape when I really had no business escaping.

I think the hatch should be key only, and it shouldn't automatically open when the exit gates are powered.

Just my unbiased opinion.

Comments

• Chickenchaser
    Chickenchaser Member Posts: 391

What's my bias then? I enjoy both sides. I'm not biased towards either side.

• Kagrenac
    Kagrenac Member Posts: 773

so at least 1 person has a chance to get out. if there was no hatch there would literally be nothing that survivor could do as the last player alive.

• Locker_Monster
    Locker_Monster Member Posts: 496

I'm Killer biased (I only do Survivor with friends to shoot the breeze while playing), and even I agree the Hatch is fine. It's a last chance lucky find & escape.

It sucks when someone brings in a key, but at that point, either I or they are winning pretty hard, so I can suck it up.

• Shroomburger
    Shroomburger Member Posts: 5

The point is to give the last survivor the hope of escaping. If there was no chance, people would either just hide all game or just give up and run at the killer.

With the hatch, there is still tension between the 2 teams until the very end.

• Chickenchaser

No. The hatch sucks for the survivor also. It favors both equally. I don't claim to have all the answers of how end game would need to be completely reworked to to keep the hatch closed on the last survivor, but I do know I shouldn't win after I've lost.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

The hatch is there because of trash team mates imo. People always like to bring up how the game is meant to be played without comms so that is more than likely one of the reasons. I could list more but everyone else has already listed those as well.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
  • SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

The irony of the hatch is that it rewards players for not participating in the game, from my exprience as both killer and survivor the person who gets hatch is often times at the bottom of th team, even with escape bonus since they never put themselves at an actual risk or being hooked by just being immersed the whole game until everybody else is dead or does gens for them so they can escape. The players who are activly helping their team with gens and rescues I find die alot more because they are trying to progress the game and in doing so risk their lives. so they never actually get to make use of the hatch, atop that is when a player who gets hatch does come top, it is most likely because of the bonus points they get from escaping, even though they are completely undeserving. I honestly think as both a survivor and killer that the hatch should be removed an in place a new system which you will be allowed to escape, providing you are able to complete a mini game of sorts against the killer.

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793

New hatch mechanics are bullshit, just get rid of the hatch tbh. I can't count the times that I get teammates who don't do any gens all game and just sit and farm hooks, then when it's 2 people left they hide the entire game because they know that even if they don't do gens they'll be rewarded with a hatch and if closed they still have a 2nd chance to escape. Badly designed imo I think that hatch should only spawn after 2 gens are completed.

• GhostFire689
    GhostFire689 Member Posts: 3

It’s fine as it is. Atleast you can close the hatch. All you gotta do is just find it. And if the survivor finds it before you, then they got it fair and square.

• IMhereRUN
    IMhereRUN Member Posts: 606

Hatching out isn’t winning, it’s admission of defeat.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

Hatch is fine, it's the complimentary prize for survivors who sucked that game. Just enjoy the 3k, or quit complaining, non-issue here.

Killer main btw.

• Creepytaco
    Creepytaco Member Posts: 36

The hatch is a simple game mechanic and last hope that ought to be left alone, especially since often it is more easily found by the killer. However I'm lost behind the logic of someone who is still alive somehow "losing."

• Creepytaco
    Creepytaco Member Posts: 36

LOL what? I think some people here might be reading too much into things.

• May_Be_AFK
    May_Be_AFK Member Posts: 46

Wait? You find the hatch that often? You must be waiting for it because my hatches get closed nearly instantly. As it seems to spawn next to the last person running the killer.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Most people are fine with escaping through the hatch, you’re the only person that I’ve seen want the current hatch gone or only openable with a key.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

As with oh so many things for survivors, getting rid of the hatch isnt likely.

Theres a few things that annoy me tho

• It grants the "Escaped" bonus. "Like a participating trophy bigger than a world champion one"
    • Survivors dont need to do anything for it to spawn anymore
    • It still opens/spawns when the gates are open.

Off tpoic but mentioned in this topic already:

Solo is only "miserable" because swf and cwf exist. Those two additional modes grant more/even more knowledge/certainity in this game based on randomness and uncertainity. And most players get used to that feeling about knowing the skill of your teammates, their intentions, current locagions and telling you what they plan to do.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

Look it from a game dev perspective. The game needs always a way out for survivors to be entertaining and hooking (no pun intended). The hatch provides a luck factor in the game and getting a lucky hatch gives a nice rush of dopamine for the survivors. Yes it is frustrating for the killer, but there are 4/1 ratio...so bad luck (literally).

One thing I would argue is the hatch opening when the last survivor is alive and exit gates are open and all but one survivor left. But this is also an edge case and can have it's reasons.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308
    edited August 2019

Remember that EGC didn't always exist. Back then if the hatch didn't exist survivors could just hide for as long as they wanted if they decided to do so, and as long as they sometimes touches a gen here and there you couldn't even claim they were taking the game hostage and not trying to actually win either.

Remember what happened before when everyone but one survivor died with 5 gens still up? Some people did actually try to do 2 gens and get the hatch, some people simply ran to the killer to die, but there were people that would just hide. Creep along the edge of the map, locker hop in the basement forever or something else. Original hatch was terribly flawed because of the hatch standoff, but it was basically the original "make a game the killer already decisively won end sooner rather than later" mechanic, and that's without getting into the more lore-based stuff surrounding the Entity giving the survivors hope to feed on and all of that.

Because that's the thing - if you've already killed 3 survivors (ESPECIALLY with more than 3 gens still up) you've already decisively won. With the old killer pip system it was 100% guaranteed you had pipped as well since a pip was 2 kills + 1 hook (ignoring DCs and moris I guess). Double pip / 4k isn't supposed to be the regular win condition, it's supposed to be an extra decisive victory, a TOTAL defeat for the survivors.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

@RakimSockem Some killers want the 4k because they care about pips or they want to max out their bloodpoints. Queue times are quite long currently, so it's not as if the killer can instantly move on to the next match.

I also find it boring when I'm getting slugged but I understand the killer's perspective as well.

• IMhereRUN
    IMhereRUN Member Posts: 606

Nope, the objective is repair 5 gens and escape.

If you’re hatching out with gens not done, it’s admission of defeat. You’ve purposely abandoned your primary (and only) objective knowing you can no longer complete it.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited August 2019

The hatch is the only reason you can find the last survivor. If they have no objective for which they have to rush and expose themselves survivors can be literally impossible to find and you need a incredible amount of luck and patience. So think, it's better a 3k or 60 minutes of aimless wandering around a map?

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968
    edited August 2019

Stopped reading after you saying you have to slug.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

Since the Engame collapse was introduced the hatch is 100% fine.

Also it's unnecessary to slug the 3rd now. Especially with BBQ - hook them, closer to the edge of the map if possible, and you might find out where is the last one. If there is no aura shown - get out of here, let them save and come back. You can try to find the hatch while they're saving(if it's already spawned of course) Repeat it and you'll either find both survivors or one will eventually die and it goes back to "who finds the hatch first"

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

I like the whole 50/50 chance of who is going to find the hatch, it's why i don't slug the second to last survivor. On the hook you go and let the game begin.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Another killer greedy for kills

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

1 person escaping via hatch is not a loss. It probably just seems that way because most survivors that do get the hatch think they did something special and they dance around and t-bag.... Probably kids.....

• thereals3vin
    thereals3vin Member Posts: 24

It's quite comical that this entire thread is people disagreeing with you and yet you choose to pick a single comment and try to disagree with 1 person like there isnt a group agreeing that the hatch is fine.

As a survivor main and probably main by like 95%, it's already so hard to compete with a killer 1v1. I would not have any fun if I knew that when it got to that point I had no chance. The door closes on me probably close to 75% of the time anyway.

• JoeyDonuts
    JoeyDonuts Member Posts: 106

False. The survivors objective is ESCAPE. Repairing generators is only one aspect of supplying the means to complete this.

• Chickenchaser

After the third person is downed, and There's only 2 gens repaired I'm already hidden in a locker where I can see the killer. After he hooks I watch where he goes, and I run in the opposite direction. That strategy works well for me.

I don't sit on the hatch.

• Chickenchaser
  • KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

I see what you are doing here. Nobody has noticed what this thread truly is yet. I commend you.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

The Hatch opening requirements were better before the EGC was implemented. Instead of always opening when there's only one Survivor left, the Killer could've smacked the gate once to power it and begin the EGC (smacking it a second time would open it) and if they didn't power the gates after 60 seconds, then the EGC would automatically begin. The way it is now, more Survivors can get undeserved escapes after getting destroyed by a Killer. If your team gets destroyed by the Killer before 1 or 2 gens are finished, then you probably don't deserve to escape through the Hatch.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

Exactly. Hatch standoffs only existed because of killers. No we have this wonky end game that completely favors mobile killers (who didn't need the advantage of end game collapse anyway).

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2019

The hatch exists because of this guy

Perhaps you think your being treated unfairly

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

If there were no hatch the DC problem would be even worse than it already is.

Also if you are finding the hatch in 70% of the games and escaping when you are losing... lol you're either a liar or a god at this game.