Is it better to crawl away, or recover?

In your opinion, is it better to crawl away from where the killer downed you, or to sit there and recover?

Comments

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

@thatguyinktown See, but I actually disagree. I would prefer to have a fellow survivor crawl as far away as possible (unless there is only two of us, and the person not downed is being chased). In my experience crawling away has always worked better for our team in the long run, than sitting there and recovering.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147

If you are the last one to get hook while killer hooking up someone else crawl away to whatever little corner you can find.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Usually recover. If you waste time crawling they usually find you with or without deerstalker. If you recover until 'find help' another survivor usually jogs by and gives the that last bit of recovery to get you back in to an injured state.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Recover mostly, but there's situations for moving.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,940

Most of the time Recover is the best decision, that way if the killer has left you down the team have a chance to pick you up. If you're very close to a pallet - sure crawl to the pallet and then recover, but mostly you're helping your team more if you recover then crawl somewhere.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,689

I'd say it depends on the situation, you could crawl into a pallet, for example and then start recovering, but in other situations it could be better to just recover, giving your team a chance to pick you up.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,146

As Xaggy said, it's situational. It depends on hook distance, how much grass there is (if you're on Yamaoka, crawling into a patch of bamboo can save your life), whether there are other survivors nearby, if there's an unused pallet nearby. If you crawl to a pallet, will another survivor be able to knock you off the killer's shoulder? If the killer knocks you down and becomes preoccupied with someone else, will another survivor be able to come pick you up? I have gone over to pick people up in those situations only to find they didn't recover at all, so rather than being able to get them back on their feet I had to ditch them and let them get hooked.

I have also seen situations where a survivor crawled instead of recovering and got their teammates killed because of it. It's really important to learn to read the situation to make sure you don't do that. It's something that comes with experience.

Whatever you do, do not just bleed out on the ground without crawling or recovering. I get really annoyed when I run up to a survivor who got downed only to find out they did nothing, and I will immediately run off and leave them there. If you're not willing to help yourself, I'm not gonna help you, either.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,689
  • Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Spin in Circles with Tenacity while Recovering = <3

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

9 times out of 10, recover. Let people get you up in a second.

The other times, crawl to hatch, crawl to exit, crawl under pallet.

The killer will find you, so hiding from him is not viable

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

@Weck I don't get found when I crawl away, unless they have deerstalker - which they usually don't. I completely disagree with all the recovers. In my experience it is better to crawl away.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,146

@AnnaEliza365 I dunno, I usually get found when I play survivor. It's the rare occasion when the killer can't find my noisy ass on the ground, Deerstalker or no.

As killer I had a match on the swamp, yesterday. The last survivor crawled to the other side of the map and hid in a patch of tall grass, but I still found and hooked them. I run Whispers, not Deerstalker; it only took knowing the general vicinity to be able to track them via sound. The killer doesn't even have to see the survivor, just look for the 'Press button to pick them up' prompt.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited September 2019

It always depends. But in general it doesn't matter because most killers will just pick you up and put you on the hook.

In the rare cases where the killer will not pick you up, it is normally better to recover, so someone can just pick you in a split second after you hit 99%.

Sometimes it's better to crawl away, if you have a real chance of losing the killer by crawling into the underbrush. This only works if there's a lot of underbrush around, it's a dark map your blood isn't easy to find, and the killer doesn't have BBQ or Deerstalker. (killer has no BBQ? yeah right)

But unless you have Tenacity and can crawl really fast, the killer will still find you if he comes back to look for you unless he's a newb.

All of this assumes you don't have Tenacity, which renders the question moot, or Unbreakable or No Mither which let you get up on your own. Or a combination of the three.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

The amount of times I could have picked up a survivor if they had recovered instead of crawling is infinite lol. So IMO recovering is better the majority of the time.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

You need to crawl so the Killer can't pick you up immediately, but don't over do it. Just crawl into some grass nearby and start recovering. If there isn't somewhere to hide nearby then don't bother.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

Unless you died right under a hooked survivor, please recover.

And if you did die right under a hooked survivor, please move as far away from the hooked survivor as possible, as it would be foolish for the killer to leave 2 incapacitated survivors alone.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293

You can do both with tenacity and pair it with unbreakable

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Depends. If everyone is downed or hooked except you, then crawl, look for the hatch.

If you're near the pallet, crawl to it.

If you're at the pallet, recover.

If you're downed and there is no pallets near you and your mates are alive, recover.

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968

Depends on your situation.

• Dicklaycia
    Dicklaycia Member Posts: 147

I find recovering better most of the time so that my teammates can get me up quicker. If I crawl away, the Killer could still find me pretty quickly, so I don’t really do so unless I’ve recovered to full first or am heading for a pallet or something.

• StupidPallets
    StupidPallets Member Posts: 395
    edited September 2019

This is the cynical approach as it assumes you're gonna get downed. lol I dont know why, but taking two perks to ensure you can best manage how you already massively screwed up is actually really funny. lol omg

edit: I cant stop laughing. "Alright ... let's pick tenacity and ... mmmmmm ... unbreakable for when I get DROPPED." 🤣😂🤣😂

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,278

If you see the killer is deliberately slugging, recover.

If the killer downs you, and another survivor is distracting him, crawl away as fast as you can, don't waste time recovering for nothing. Most times this will end up with the killer leaving the other survivor, and losing you. So once you're really far away, behind a rock, recover, and wait for an allie

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,278

Anyway it depends on the amount of time you have. If you have a lot of time to waste, just crawl away, so you avoid the killer coming back to the previous area and finding you

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

If you can, try to get away if the killer is distracted. Else, if the killer keeps track of you, recover instead.