Mitigate bad totem RNG by...

Options
azazer
azazer Member Posts: 446
Making the hex bind to all 5 totems.

Imagine you have hex ruin. But instead of 1 lit totem all 5 are. So even if you get a bad spawn say on a hill, or right next to the survivor, or both you aren't automatically screwed over. They have to get all 5 to shut down your perk. 

This way the survivors can still take them out, but the killer has a little more staying power and an edge early in the match. It also addresses the fact killers don't know which totem is which. 

This would mean all perks apply to all totems, so you can run a powerful 4 hex build but you could end up perkless by end game. A choice between defending gens or totems. Survivors would have another layer of strategy to consider. Ignore the totems and let killer patrol 5 extra objectives, blitz totems since killer can't defend them all, or mix and try to do everything. 

Comments

• OGlilSPOOK20
    OGlilSPOOK20 Member Posts: 716
    Options
    Or they can have it when the game starts... No totem is lit until all 4 survivors have touched a Gen. This means that even if 1 touches a Gen, Hex Ruin will apply to that person, but they won't be able to see which totem it is until everyone has touched Gens.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,367
    Options
    I actually like this idea a lot. Gives them more objectives and it helps slow the game down some. You can at least hope that maybe one of them is decently hidden. 
  • azazer
    Options
    Or they can have it when the game starts... No totem is lit until all 4 survivors have touched a Gen. This means that even if 1 touches a Gen, Hex Ruin will apply to that person, but they won't be able to see which totem it is until everyone has touched Gens.
    You'd still run into the same problem though. Even if it's not lit, a survivor who spawns within sight of a totem is going to take the easy points. If the hex is tethered to it, nothing is fixed.
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,412
    Options

That sounds incredibly overpowered, if I'm honest. The point behind hex perks is to give added power at the risk of the perk being lost. Imagine devour hope with TOTH against the hillbilly or the nurse. You'd have to cleanse five totems- and they all take longer, and they all show the killer your exact location while you're cleansing them, and they can instantly put you into the dying state and/or mori you.

That's bananas.

I'd rather they just tweak totem spawn parameters so you can't spawn next to a totem, and remove the obvious spots in the open. If you'd like them to be a little more durable beyond that, TOTH is the perfect perk for you.

• azazer
    Options
    @Peanits Yes it would be more powerful, but OP? you can still disable the perks, that won't change. It's high risk high reward, but there isn't anything wrong with asking survivors to do a little more when they have such a care free time as it is. Not only are the spawn locations known to all but the newest baby survivors, but even in your example there is no way even Billy or nurse can defend 5 totems and gens,. this doesn't even address spawn locations giving survivors the free gibs at the top of hills or starting next to one. 
    Alternatively if billy/nurse could defend 4 totems why isn't that the meta build now for them? I'd even like to see someone attempting defending 4 totems and the gens and succeed.
  • Joekillu
    Joekillu Member Posts: 164
    Options
    Totems are not hard to find at all,and any more 6 out of 10 times there is 2to3 within 10 meters of each other . I have had this happen in to many matches to count as both sides.So no that really would not be overpowered.  
  • Twix
    Twix Member Posts: 235
    Options

Orrrr... let the killer somehow place the totem down whenever he/she wants :thinking:

• azazer
    Options
    Joekillu said:
    Totems are not hard to find at all,and any more 6 out of 10 times there is 2to3 within 10 meters of each other . I have had this happen in to many matches to count as both sides.So no that really would not be overpowered.  
    And that's just stumbling into them with dumb luck. Perks like small game and I think detectives hunch let you zero in on totems. Survivors have tools to make the hunt easy
  • Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    Options
    I still think it should be 1 survivor can only do 50% of anything alone while 3 or more are Unhooked.

This forces team work and slows all objectives down.
  • Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 923
    Options

I actually do think hex perks need a bit more oomf, especially the ones that only matter over a longer period of time (devour hope, lullaby, and third seal). I even made a suggestion for this recently in that I'd like to see hex totems tied to an activation condition, and only light totems when this condition is met.

For example:
    Devour hope will not attach to any totems until someone is unhooked at least 24m from the hook (the activation condition). In this case, the perk now has an associated hex totem and is active. If cleansed, the perk loses a token or two and is de-activated until the activation condition is met again.

This system would have perks, especially hex perks requiring a set up time, to have relevance throughout the game. Likewise, survivors are still rewarded for cleansing hex totems by removing tokens and deactivating the perk temporarily. Survivors can also be rewarded for cleansing dull totems in this system, and it would encourage a secondary objective without making it mandatory. Lastly, since the killer can activate their perks, they'll know which totems they need to defend at any given time (a feature that's been sorely needed in one way or another).

As for NOED and ruin, their activation conditions are triggered at the start and end of the game. So don't worry about them ever reactivating - they'll still be a once per game thing.