The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is the introduction of a Battle pass really that bad

Honestly I don't hate the idea of it, it's nothing game breaking and the things being given don't effect the gameplay at all. At worst it's the company wanting to make more money and at best it's free stuff (or not free stuff). To be fair this game is really tame when it comes to trying to get your money, at most you have to buy the dlc characters. Some games release pay to win mechanics and or weapons/vehicles that are just flat out better than the free version or they bring necessary progression to a slow grindy halt if you don't pay for premium boosts (I played World of Tanks, I know everything there is to know about scummy companies going full Pay2Win).

Comments

• RIP_Legion
    RIP_Legion Member Posts: 428

Ahh, I didn't realize they're locking certain cosmetics behind the battle pass entirely. Yeah nvm, I changed my mind

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    edited October 2019

Editing Because yes it is.

It may not be pay 2 win, but it is definitely pay to keep PAYING.

To answer the title. No.

And for people that think it's pay 2 win and whatever else. It isn't? It's temporarily exclusive as in you get it sooner, otherwise you can still buy and purchase it at a later date. The dev's told us this. What ISN'T is of course the event cosmetics. That will only be for the event I guess? Anyways. This ain't a normal battlepass.... AND they let you get your money back.... (auric cells money) like... I've never heard of that.

TLDR; you can buy the stuff at a later date (Edit: For REAL money, not earning for free ability).. so ... I don't see any problem. (Edit: except I do now).

EDIT: You can buy now for cheaper... or buy it later (most likely more expensive) Your call. Edit: Because This is just dumb

Post edited by HellCatJane on
  • AkiTheKitten
    AkiTheKitten Member Posts: 670

Wait, can you buy all rift pass exclusive cosmetics at a later date? Or unlock them in any way?

• HellCatJane

@AkiTheKitten I heard it will be buyable at a much later date.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

YEP! There is nothing other than Charms that are excl

usive!

• AkiTheKitten

Then what's the big hoopla about the rift pass? I'd rather get late stuff than no stuff at all. I don't see the problem, in fact I love it. I can see the skins to set aside cells or shards ahead of time

• HellCatJane

@AkiTheKitten Agreed. Plus for free you can participate in the challenges getting the bloodpoints as well.

@UlvenDagoth I didn't fully hear about the charms and which ones if any were exclusive. It would make sense the level 70's or so ones were. Those did seem pretty "special". But idk. I didn't hear anything. I was just going by what I've heard from the dev's and I know they said event stuff... (which even that was confusing because before that stuff was put up in the shop too.) Hopefully that can get clarified tho.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    edited October 2019

I saw one Dev say it was only charms. Sorry, i've been all over the ! button today.

• AkiTheKitten

I dunno man, the rift seems like a pretty good addition. All that plus lore? Sounds good to me. I think some charms might be exclusive to the payed for rift tho, sad but understandable

• HellCatJane

haha :D

Yea. anyways. Hopefully that just gets clarified and people just relax... it's day 1 of PTB... lol Let's let them talk to us about it... lol

Try to be optimistic, you all might really like the rift once you understand it. Who knows :)

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Is the battlepass live?

Can someone perhaps attach a link on where i can find more info please <3

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

It's fine to me, there'll probably be enough times I don't go for the paid one.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Can't wait for premium account and all those other revenue models from free2play games. Maybe we get lootboxes too, yay!

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

Spoiler: You get cosmetics by paying, battlepass or not.

• Horror_Gaming
    Horror_Gaming Member Posts: 275

There not. All cosmetic items can be bought in the store at a later date. But that be dumb for you to wait since the BP is cheaper then full Cosmetic items and you gain all your money back if you complete all rift levels.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

It's completely optional and there's a free version with much less but at least you can participate if you like.

If you played for long enough you start to realize that anything new coming to game is usually either going to be one of two things. A Grind to get you to keep playing or Cost Money. The Rift is both.

• Ghost_Potato
    Ghost_Potato Member Posts: 59

Since everyone is fine with this get ready for addons and offerings to be in loot boxes and health kits a moris are only in them.

• HellCatJane

@TunnelVision It's not live yet, it's only on the PTB right now. You can check out twitch streamers and such to be able to see it etc. (Or youtube probably as well).

• Larisa
    Larisa Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2019

There are only cosmetics. You don't need to buy them unless you really like them. Then go ahead. This concept is pretty simple

And if you don't buy you still can proceed with the free rift which gives you stuff as well. So look, it's free stuff !

It's not some pay to win. You can play perkless and hatless and still enjoy every bit of the game.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    edited October 2019

First they take our money, then they take our jobs and before you know it you're out there rolling in the dirt screaming "whyyyyyy?!?! As they've took your home too".

I like having more challenges to complete with the archives, as for the Battlepass... I don't see how this would make things more different in terms of leaving players who don't buy cosmetics behind, because it doesn't.

I think the prices are pretty fair and you get a decent amount of stuff with the free pass. I kinda think there should be a couple extra freebies for the free tier as the players getting to that tier are obviously very engaged in dbd and probably deserve at least another thing to spur them onto wanting to reach the very end of the free pass.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    edited October 2019

Yeah unlike you i run a business and have more than hundred employees. So thanks for the lecture about life. Maybe you should at least try to understand why people do take offense to the rift pass before you ramble something that completely misses the point. Also try to be civil in a forum, telling other people to "stfu" is not constructive.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

I think people are cautious because of the fact it costs money to get the paid pass but I think it's more because it's new and exclusive why people are hesitant about it.

I get it if you don't have a lot of money to spend it feels like you're gonna miss out on some stuff. I think maybe some paid pass unlockables should be available through irridescent shards the next season or whatever it's called for non paying players to get that way.

As for the Laurie who was a little rude. I personally agree with her point but there's no reason to make a deal about people making a big deal about the new stuff coming.

Again I think people are just wary because they don't fully understand how it works and whether it's good value yet.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

I just don't get why a battle pass needs to be in a survival horror game, it just doesn't fit with DBD and I don't think it needs one.

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907

the only worry, and i do mean only, is that the battlepass we're seeing is to get us to welcome the battlepass because its actually good and fair... then the next battlepass will be worse, costing more, taking longer to grind, something like that. as long as that doesnt happen, then im perfectly fine with it and will actually buy it.

• Kotentopf
    Kotentopf Member Posts: 276

I'm scared about what possible could happen.. BEAHVR

Imo, 20$/€ is too much for the base game (standard price) with all the stuff you can buy ingame. It was needed for the beginning, yes. Just drop price drastic and maybe give some cells or something legacy to the ppl, who bought the game to make all that happen.

• HellCatJane

I've also changed my view and stance. I do not think the rift was in good show of people that purchased and paid for the game. To employ free to play monetizing strategies. on top of others.. I just .. idek... Because the fact is,, it's not free, and it should be, even if you have to grind to get it, I could understand. But having to pay on top of already paying for the game?

Ugh...

THE CAKE IS A LIE PEOPLE!

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
    edited October 2019

Having not looking into it prior. I found out you can pay 100 cells to progress one level through the premium side.

Isn't there like 70 levels? That's a lever that bhvr is hoping some people will just keep pulling I bet. Sad part, there are people who will.

Post edited by Mr_K on
  • Theoretical_Heart
    Theoretical_Heart Member Posts: 398

According to the poll taken yesterday it was 70/30 split with 70 being pro Rift and Premium Pass.

So it looks like the complaints really are just a vocal minority.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
    edited October 2019

No downsides when its someone elses money.