We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Tunneling is it wrong?

Options
andyollolloll
andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
edited October 2019 in Polls

Shouldn't every killer be tunneling?

Being a survivor I know if I get hit I'm in trouble as when I'm a killer I can track them more easily.

Surely the killer should attack the herd and pick off the weakest ones?

Killing survivors off means fewer people on the generators, giving the killer more time to thin the herd again.

Sure it isn't fun to be the one tunneled but is complaining about it to only affect killers mindsets from winning games?

*Apologies, please comment who answers Yes

Tunneling is it wrong? 82 votes

Yes
26%
PeasantJoelux1Galklifebrokedownpalaceblue4zionRainbowPatooiegrtf47SpiderTashReconeticCJsDBDwhammigobambamBazzajackPeenutsButt3rxEamusstang62AngryFluffypremiumRICEMissGamer456oTechnicHeldHostage 22 votes
No (why not...)
73%
vampire_toothyBossWhite_OwlGibberishStevoMister_xDFibijeanBlueberrykatoptrisSpartagone450h_DoctorAcesthetiicAshleyWBgrayon444shepherd404Knex4545ElkBunnyTheHuttad19970Timtom24 60 votes

Comments

• ghostface_tryhard69
    Options
    No (why not...)

yes I tunnel. Mostly I just hook em if there is not an obsession. But if there is another one close, I’ll just slug em. Just the way it should be. Most survivors who complain about it will be your noobs who don’t know how the game works, people who get camped and tunneled at the same time (which is too far in my opinion), or p3 squadettes who believe that they are the best and the killer is obviously trash if they have to tunnel even though they only did three gens in the first 3 minutes. If you guys hate tunnelers, just run literally any obsession perk, most killers won’t tunnel the obsession or anyone if there is a survivor obsession perk in play in case of DS. You could also run BT. Or dead hard. Or MoM. Or just have a buddy take the killer off you. Or have a buddy flashlight the killer when you get tunneled. Or just don’t do toxic things that cause killers to be toxic like body blocking, pallet insta heals, or taunting.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    No (why not...)

I take getting tunneled as an encouragement. If I am getting tunneled it means one of two things:

1) I am doing poorly and am being taken out because I am the weak link of the team, encouraging me to do better.

2) I am getting focused down because I managed to make the Killer so mad they have to take me out, which means I am doing pretty good.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options
    No (why not...)

Because they state in their rules it's fine.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited October 2019
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling is just frowned on by the community, it's not anything that could get you in trouble.

Whether you want to tunnel Survivors is up to you, its considered a "strategy" so more power to you. It's your Killer... so you can do whatever you want honestly. (Within the rules obviously)

I personally don't tunnel or camp, because I want the game to be fun for the Survivors and personally myself... Cause tunneling to me is really boring and un-eventful... I don't really enjoy chasing the same Survivor 3 times until they're dead... especially when they're injured.

It really just boils down to if you want to do it or not.

• grtf47
    grtf47 Member Posts: 371
    Options
    Yes

How do I change my vote, I meant to say choose that its okay to tunnel. Its frowned upon, but its a strategy and is useful in red ranks.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options
    No (why not...)

Some deserve it eg SWF toxoids.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options
    No (why not...)

Not against the rule as Boss said

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Yes

Yes it is wrong because nobody will get anything out of it, it just ruins the game to both sides. killer gets genrushed so 3 escapes and he doesnt make any points. the 3 survivors dont pip cause 0 onjectives, the poor guy RIP

I voted the wrong one because I'm an idiot.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    Options
    No (why not...)

No.

If you just pick a random person and tunnel them at the expense of the match, while thats a crappy thing to do the survivor should spend this moment wasting as much time as possible so the team can pump out some gens.

If your team mate is stupid enough to unhook you infront of me dont get mad at me for taking that EZ kill. Down you, hunt down and injure your hero and re-hook you.

• ImmortalReaver
    ImmortalReaver Member Posts: 243
    Options
    No (why not...)

If someone gets tunneled it's because their team mates weren't doing a good job at working as a team.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling = Natural selection

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options
    No (why not...)

I only tunnel under one condition only: If I see a broken indicator after they're unhooked. That means it's either Deliverance or Second Wind, and I can't afford to let it be Second Wind... and I don't respect deliverance anyway.

Other than that, it just feels scummy.

• RIP_Legion
    RIP_Legion Member Posts: 428
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling early when nothing happened yet is kinda scummy, but if things aren't going well, people are being #########, and I know you're the weakest link I hope you're ready for a good time.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,349
    Options
    No (why not...)

Some things are still arguably wrong even if they are not against the rules. I think it is more of a moral question.

Tunnelling a survivor can make me feel bad. Unless they have a key, a flashlight, a toolkit, a medkit, run DS, or are a blendette, or have expensive cosmetics, or are in an SWF, if they teabag, or if they look at me funny. Then tunneling is not only morally justified, it is simply the right thing to do.

• JillSandwichL
    JillSandwichL Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2019
    Options
    No (why not...)

No, is not wrong, sure, tunneling one survivor until he dies is wrong and is not gonna get you anywhere(assuming the survivor is good), but a lot of times, survivors tend to go for the rescue immediately, and dont think im not coming back, if i find the unhooked survivor alone then i have no choise but if i find the rescuer as well, what i usually do is down the unhooked survivor and then chase the rescuer, this will leave only 1 survivor doing gens (assuming they are 4swf) and if i can down the rescuer quickly then i can begin to snowball.

And if see a you sandbagging a teammate on purpose you are getting tunneled, im not sorry.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2019
    Options
    No (why not...)

It's a ######### tactic, but a tactic nontheless. Don't expect survivors to have fun with it though.

• Stevo
    Stevo Member Posts: 121
    Options
    No (why not...)

I personally am of the opinion that it’s a lame strategy for the survivor getting tunneled, but it’s still perfectly valid. If the killer wants to make their life a bit easier then removing one survivor as early as possible is the best way of doing so. Sucks for the person targeted, sure, but it’s far from “Wrong”.

• shepherd404
    shepherd404 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    No (why not...)

i chase a survivor until they escape me or i knock them down, hitting them to give the opportunity to heal up is a waste of the killers time. I dont avoid a possible target because im afraid ill be perceived as tunneling

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,256
    Options
    No (why not...)

Wrong? No.

Irritating? Yes

I don’t tunnel unless you’ve done the “toxic trifecta” of hyper-teabagging, flashlight clicky-clicky, and constant fast pallet-jumps when I’m not chasing you. (That last one is annoying AF and the main reason I want you out of the game!)

On a related note, I see it happen all the time where survivors come back to work on generators that are partially complete instead of moving on to new ones with 0 progress. Isn’t THAT tunneling by the same definition?

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options
  • andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options
    No (why not...)

Thanks for all the replies.

The amount of survivors DCing playing as killer or survivor is amazing.

As killer I get comments that they left or reported as I was camping or tunneling but if you interrupt me laying my traps or give me a choice of having a one hit down or two hits with an added bonus of being more difficult to track...

As a survivor I know if my friend is on their last hook I'll run into the killer to stop them, take the hit to see if I get their attention as I'm then in the same state... if the killer goes for me and hooks me then there will be 4 survivors in the game still

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,256
    Options
    No (why not...)

That’s why I can’t wait for a Mars Attacks licensed killer! Gotta show off those pulsating lobes!

(Full disclosure, I am not implying that I’ve ever heard any rumors about such a killer actually being considered...)

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,621
    Options

Depends. If a killer is obsesed with you, ignoring another players I think it's unfun for you, because even if you're a pro player, if the killer is obsessed he will likely got you, even if he lost all the generators just chasing you.

If you had the bad luck that a farmer unhooked you, then it's unfun as well but the killer did an easy play for them and you can't really blame them.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Tunnels are wrong for a killer to even consider, most of the time. Bad for BP, bad for emblems, bad for gen defence, bad for improving personal skill in the game.

Just as far as personal preference goes, it's unfun too. It's honestly pathetic encountering or hearing about people who seem perversely proud of admitting they're no good at a game, relying on tunnels, camps, ebonies, or NOED to get even one kill.

• SinisterDog
    SinisterDog Member Posts: 48
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling definitely sucks as a survivor and I think there should be precautions that boost the survivors bloodpoint gain if chased or downed after being unhooked same with camping, but as killer I just don't see how to win without it. There's games where I down every survivor 1-2 times and the game just progresses too quickly for me to do anything about it, if I get the chance I'm going to take someone out of the game immediately.

• RainbowPatooie
    RainbowPatooie Member Posts: 322
    Options
    Yes

I'll try to avoid if the opportunity to do so comes up, since as a survivor main I know how frustrating it can be to get tunneled and feel like you're not allowed to play the game. But if there's no one else around, I'll take them down again.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunnelling is fun until deathhook where it's morality becomes questionable if already in a strong position.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling is a great strat long as you aren't picking the person up. You want too tunnel too either A: make them mend and waste time if they have BT, or B: Slug them and force the other survivors too rescue him, which means they aren't doing gens and that gives the killer a lot of pressure.

• BloodyBunny
    BloodyBunny Member Posts: 114
    Options
    No (why not...)

I just attack who i see half the time and that does usually lead tunneling sometimes so no

• Dicklaycia
    Dicklaycia Member Posts: 147
    Options
    No (why not...)

It’s annoying to be the Survivor on the receiving end of tunneling and is frowned-upon as a result, but it is still a valid strategy that a Killer can employ.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options
    No (why not...)

technically speaking, tunneling is nothing but optimal killer gameplay.

by taking one guy out of the game early on, you can immensly slow down the fur´ture progress of the trial, allowing you to get a better score in the end.

the one problem with this is, that the survivor himself is also a player who would like to stay a bit longer in the trial than 5 minutes and finds this attention the killer gives him to be very unfun, which i totally understand.

i think we need to look at this question from multiple perspectives:

from a technical standpoint, tunneling is exactly what you should always do: pick the easier target that is closer to death to eliminate him quick and slow down the progress the survivors do massively.

from an ethnical standpoint, we gotta remember that we play with other human beings who also wish to enjoy the game. you shouldnt ruin their fun just because you want to tryhard for a certain rank, which you could also get (just harder) by playing nicely.

this is why i have the following rule for myself:

if they are nice to you (so no BMs, no tauntint, no OoO, etc.) i will be nice to them. if they however feel the need to try and ruin my fun, so be it. e.g. if your friend with BT unhooks you in front of me and i actively target the friend, though you feel the need to jump inbetween and bodyblock me just to take the hit, i will rehook you. i will go through your DS (or just wait it out while i down your friend) and you will end up on the hook again, even though you could literally have gotten a free getaway.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options
    Yes

Why would i tunnel or camp?

Less fun for everyone and less points aswell. And winning a game without tunneling gives you a better feeling aswell. If i win because i tunneled someone (maybe even after proxicamping), that means nothing for me. But if i win because i played fair, i know i won because of skill.

• Hailoh
    Hailoh Member Posts: 83
    Options
    No (why not...)

Tunneling isn't inherently wrong, it just needs to be done in moderation. If the killer is behind on gens, they NEED to get someone out of the game to keep their head above water. Tunneling for the sake of tunneling is just... rude. But doing it when you have no other choice is fine.

• vampire_toothy
    vampire_toothy Member Posts: 381
    Options
    No (why not...)

While tunneling isn't fun, it's a part of the game and it's understandable as to why people might do it under some circumstances such as ;

• Every abusing windows on a map such as disturbed ward or mother's dwelling forcing you to only go after the players who aren't using them which can unintentionally lead to tunneling.
    • The generators are nearly complete with the only way to maintain pressure being to kill someone off.
    • A survivor has become a heavy annoyance to the killer (very subjective)

I don't personally agree with tunneling and try to avoid doing it as often as possible, however I can at least understand the reasons as to why people might do it. It's also important to keep in mind that newer players tend to do this without knowing any better.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options
    No (why not...)

Just had a swf squad...with brand new parts...instaheals...and a serious teabag habit.

*grabs Tunnelzord flute* TUNNELZORD GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    Options

I'd like to think there being a third option.

Certain circumstances I don't feel it's right to do. Other situations it's just strategy. Like the survivors making mistakes etc. Survivor running at you or into you etc. Just a lot of situations.

However, It's completely wrong and improper to go after someone, specifically targeting them and only them, to either mori them or remove them as fast as possible, when lets say there are other injured survivors in view and/or in range even. Or 3 other survivors on a gen working next to you... etc etc. That's just wrong, IMO. And frankly makes no sense.

My vote is "Yes and No, It depends"