We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

What makes you think "I won" in DBD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120
    Options

14 Emblem points for me (16 being max)

• jordirex
    jordirex Member Posts: 204
    Options
    None of the above (write yours in comments)

Good chases as survivor,

Playing against good survivors, that's what makes me feel good as killer (Huntress)

Winning (pip, 2 pip) can be boring, if the game was no challenge at all, if survivors just hided from me, etc

• Corrupted
    Corrupted Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Pip-ing up

Ultimately, I feel as though the pip and points tell the story. 3K and 4K is nice but if you camped them all it's like, did you really win? You just camped hooks which is severely unfair and unfun. For survivor, it's also pipping and points but make sure you get there fairly.

• HuntressIsMyFavXD
    HuntressIsMyFavXD Member Posts: 132
    Options
    2k or more as killer

Victor is piping at least once, n

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,827
    Options

Mostly just having fun

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

Fun and fair chases on both sides. Meaning not abusing matt walker windows.

• siyke26
    siyke26 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Points basically anything over 15k is fine with me

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options
    3k or more as killer

Way I've always seen it is

Killer wise

0-1 kills / 3-4 escapes is a lose for the Killer

2 kills / 2 escapes is a draw

3-4 kills / 0-1 escapes is a win for the Killer

Survivor wise

When I play Survivor as long as I escape I'll see that as win because I mainly play Lone Wolf anyway so I'm not too fussed if other people make it out alive

• BongRips4Wraith
    BongRips4Wraith Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2019
    Options

Pips mean nothing to me. You can screw around as both sides in DBD and get pips at any rank.

As survivor, I only feel like I "won" if I actually won a couple chases by either not going down before a significant amount of time has passed or if I make the killer stop chasing me entirely. Dying or escaping doesn't mean much. I only play solo survivor so escaping is reliant on what teammates I happened to queue with. I don't feel like I won when 5 gens pop really fast while a baby killer gets looped by someone else for 5 gens (though it's entirely the killer's fault)

As killer I only feel like I "won" if I didn't let a single survivor escape though the gate (the last person escaping through hatch just means they found it before me) and that I got at least a couple of interesting chases where I got to do something cool (interesting off meta build or shutting down a strong structure against a good survivor). I don't feel like I won if I bullied a bunch of babies that waste every pallet and go down instantly.

In general if I get out of a game and get an urge to play another match: I won.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options
    Escaping (regardless of if you black piped or more)

4k or escaping. No exceptions. Trying to make up exceptions onto the existing winconditions just inflates your winrate and even if it didn't it makes optimizing your winrate lead to very weird and problematic results.

For example:

If having fun is a "win" how do I optimize that?

First of all the question is recursive. I have fun by optimizing my winrate.

However even if I ignore that how do I even determine if I've won or not? Fun is a spectrum while winning is binary, so it only works if I draw a line somewhere specific but how do you even quantify it in order to attempt that? Either way the rules of the game don't back up this wincon. Horror isn't even about fun anyways.

Or what about having good chases?

Well how do you determine if a chase is good or not? And how many do I need? And more importantly after I have a good chase if that is itself a win then why bother continuing past that? And doesn't that mean if the other side isn't good enough at chases that I automatically lose the game no matter what?

Or what about pips?

While at the very least pips can be quantified, they still don't work as a wincon for a similar reason as chases, specifically that a sufficiently incompetent opponent will guarantee your failure, when maximizing the difference in skill ought to also maximize the more skilled players chance of success.

Thus the only wincon that truely works is, surprise surprise, the actual wincon that the game officially uses according to the wincon portion of the tutorial.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options
    Escaping AND piping

What makes me feel like I "won" is probably escaping, more so if I pipped. But I think it's worth noting that winning and having a good game aren't the same thing. If I go against an afk killer, rush gens and escape in five minutes without any kind of challenge, I won but I wouldn't consider that a good game. Similarly, if I have lots of fun but get sacrificed at the end, I still consider that a good game even though I lost.

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081
    Options

For survivor: Depends on a lot of variables...going against a really good huntress on Haddonfield? I expect to escape. Going against that same huntress on a mcmillan map? Getting a pip is a win for me there.

Going against nurse on blood lodge? Getting past 3 generators would be good there. Going against that same nurse on lerys? +1 pip, but if the nurse is skilled probably still will get sacrificed.

Is the killer not using addons? Escape is a win. Is the killer using their most powerful addons? Depends on the map, killer and teammates.

There is no game-to-game win condition. Way too many variables.

For killer: At least 3 kills. Again, though, it depends on all those variables mentioned above.

• ahandfulofrain
    ahandfulofrain Member Posts: 528
    Options

I win when I don't get teabagged and flashlight spammed.

• OriginalName
    OriginalName Member Posts: 40
    Options
    3k or more as killer

For me, if I fairly outplay survivors and get a 3K, I feel like that's a really solid win. If I'm against really good survivors who I struggle against, I'd consider a 2K as a win.

• Marcurie
    Marcurie Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2019
    Options
    4 Escapes (all team survived

As a killer...

3-4k kills, or 30k+ points, minimal escapees

As a survivor...

Getting out alive, but sad if low points...happier if good chases, etc.

*not really a "win" if someone dies (bar extenuating circumstances)...it's a team-game, so to speak...so if you let someone die on a hook or give up, well, that's a loss for all of you...but doing the best you can, at least softens the blow and decent points make it all irrelevant.

It's not about winning after a certain point...just about whether or not you had a good game (i.e. good points, slick moves, and a valiant effort).

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182
    Options

I don't really care that much about escaping or pip-ing as long as the match itself went fine enough. So e.g. as survivor successfully escaping chases, saving a lot of other survivors etc.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    Options
    4k as killer

I dont care about my rank, I pip anyway without even trying to pip. 4ks are for me the ultimate WIN but I accept a 2k aswell since the game is designed to do 2ks.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Pip-ing up

But that 4k feels amazing right? The only problem I have there is when it was a fair game and somehow I feel like the 4th survivor earned a hatch escape cause II'm sure I got two pips and 3k, that argument in my head on weather to kill him or let him escape is overwelming

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

Having fun.

If the game was fun, I win.

If the game wasn't fun, I lose and I go do something else.

• Triggered55
    Triggered55 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    3k or more as killer

I feel as if killing at least 3 means you completely decimated the survivors and won.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

"Horror isn't even about fun anyways."

Lmao, I wish I had the "LOL" button for that statement alone... Trying to argue only a 4K is a "win" despite free escapes with hatch either open on their own or a Survivor using a Key on a closed one, despite Gens not being done and a Killer dominating but "whoops, you still ost!" Yeah,

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

This game is BS sometimes.

The solution is to alter the mechanics not try and upend the entire foundation for all of balance as well as the core premise of the gameplay loop.

• ATOMIC_ACE_PUGG
    ATOMIC_ACE_PUGG Member Posts: 359
    Options
    2k or more as killer

2k or more. sometimes I let the 3rd survivor go if I'm feeling nice. I mostly let 4th go unless I need a 4k for a trophy

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

Personal escape is always my goal (and not de-pipping). Also not having to be a bad survivor toward others to obtain it.

I never feel like 'I won' though. It is either good game or bad game. The closest I probably come to it is if the killer is toxic camping and tunneling hard on me, yet I escape anyway.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

==As Survivor==

-Major Victory  : 25K or more BP

-Moderate Victory: 20K or more BP

-Minor Victory  : 15K or more BP

-Loss           : Under 15K BP

-Major Loss     : Under 10K BP

==As Killer==

-Major Victory  : 4 Kills with 4-5 Gens remaining.

-Moderate Victory: 4 Kills with 1-3 Gens remaining. OR 3 Kills with 4-5 Gens remaining.

-Minor Victory  : 4 Kills with 0 Gens remaining.  OR 3 Kills with 1-3 Gens remaining.

-Loss           : 1 Survivor escapes with 0 Gens remaining.

-Major Loss   : 2 or more Survivors escape.

• Ramosaurus40
    Ramosaurus40 Member Posts: 9
    Options

For me winning in this game is all about the one thing that matters at the end of the day... BLOODPOINTS. Who cares if you pip, get a 4K, escape, etc if you don't get the one currency that is used to truly progress in the game? As a killer main, I couldn't honestly care less if the survivors all escaped. If I left the lobby with a near perfect 32K BP round then I won in my book.

Tl:dr HE WHO HAS THE MOST BLOODPOINTS WINS THE MATCH

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options
    4k as killer

I mean, I take what I'll take, but if I can get a 4k, I will absolutely go for it.

Although, my survivor has a different winning condition... to get head on to work once per match.

• JillSandwichL
    JillSandwichL Member Posts: 26
    Options
    3k or more as killer

3k without using a mori and 4 stacks of bbq its a win for me

• Eggscellent
    Eggscellent Member Posts: 21
    Options

If I genuinely laugh my ass off I see that as an absolute win

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options

4 stacks of BBQ. I don't really care what happens after that point (though I'll still try for the 4k to get those elusive Sacrifice points).

• FrodoWillis
    FrodoWillis Member Posts: 28
    Options

I would say-2killed with decent amounth of points and raging survivor(s) would be nice bonus.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Pip-ing up

With mori I go for 3k+ doing moris on death hook, not 1st

• VoodooMan7995
    VoodooMan7995 Member Posts: 137
    Options

I picked 'None of the above' because theres multipel there I would have to pick... I love getting quad escapes, or quad kills. Makes me feel like I beat people at something and I can finally say I won something competitive.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

As what @Boss said, Devour Hope W for the win.

Either that or just getting a lot of BP whilst having a good time.

I love Devour Hope Pig with the aura reading while crouched add on, so good.

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

My goal has changed from time to time.

My goal is now Blood points lol

• xAlkarix
    xAlkarix Member Posts: 10
    Options

Its always about fun - this is a game

• then4321
    then4321 Member Posts: 234
    Options

Just points and having fun.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

Did I have fun? That's what's important. If yes, then I won, regardless of my status. If not, I need to redeem myself.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,663
    Options

When playing killer

0k- crushing defeat

1k- defeat

2k- tie

3k - Victory

4k- Great Victory

When playing Survivor

I escape: Varying Degrees of Victory

4 escapes: Great Victory

3 Escapes: Victory

2 Escapes: Minor Victory

1 Escape: Pyrrhic victory

I die:

3 Escapes: Minor Victory

2 Escapes: Tie

1 Escape: Defeat

0 Escapes: Crushing Defeat

Basically anytime I escape I consider it some kind of victory even if only a small one. If I die I only consider it a victory if the other survivors escape too.

• ZackAndCody
    ZackAndCody Member Posts: 34
    Options

When I have fun and when I gain those spicy bloodpoints

• swamptrash
    swamptrash Member Posts: 75
    Options

If some one dc on my it brings me a sense of winning. Like when some one hears my first rev of my chain saw. (Yes i give a warning rev at start of match. Like yep idk if u know who i am your mine... ) and they like nope. I love it

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

As a survivor, escaping is a mission complete.

As a killer.. I'd just prefer to get a 4 stack on BBQ. I don't care if I kill none or all four survivors, as long as I had a fun game.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

When I have fun as either side.

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 442
    Options

Either a ton of points, or at least a SINGLE kill.

One of these things is a win for me. Love it when it's both.