What is REALLY the objective?

Options

Was just reading a post where people were trying to back up their argument of trashing on killers who use NOED by saying the survivor objective is completing gens and the killer objective is stopping gens from being completed. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought survivor objective was to escape the match alive and killer objective was to kill all survivors before they escape. I mean that's why there's a hatch now. . . to give survivors one last opportunity to escape. I guess the gen objective is the TRUE objective in the unwritten survivor rule book?

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,114
    Options

One day there will be a written verson.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

The hatch has been in the game forever. The main goal of the game is to survive as a survivor or kill/sacrifice everyone as killer. Since the main goal of survivor is to survive, that makes generators, exit gates, and hatch the main objective to achieve your goal. Secondary objectives would be totems, distracting the kiler, and hook rescues.

• GennyFromTheBlock
    GennyFromTheBlock Member Posts: 113
    Options

Please the entity by flogging the Survivors left and right AND THEN sacrificing them once 1 or 2 gens are done and you've maxed out on chases.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited October 2019
    Options

Gens and hooks are the main in game objectives.

The overall objective for survivors is to do whatever you can to ensure escape.

For killers it's to do whatever you can to sacrifice survivors.

Totems then become an objective to reach the overall on as you don't want any surprises.

Pips can also an objective out with the game but that's down to each person's viewpoint.

The hatch has always been in game. It's design was to end the game quicker and probably also a way to help those matched with random players.

Both sides have made up rules and why if you do or use X I will do Y is a very common viewpoint on here.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Escaping or killing

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

People do some silly mental gymnastics to justify their weird views. To them, I say: It's in the name. Survivors want to survive; Killers want to kill. This is plainly obvious. Those are the objectives. The game ends when everyone has either survived or been killed in whatever combination it happens in.

The killer definitely wants to stop gens from being completed, but they do this by killing the survivors. But if all the gens DO get completed, the killer achieves the same victory by killing the survivors before they escape.

Same deal with survivors; they definitely want to complete gens, but they do this because that is what enables their escape. The generators are the gatekeeping mechanic for both sides.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

As i see it, your primary objective is what will lead you to the scoreboard.

I don't mind people setting their own objectives though.

Anyone looking at my profile picture knows i got my own goal.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

the main objectives for survivors consist of 3 things:

1) Generators - the main objective of the trial and mandatory to escaping. this objective consumes the most time of them all and the entire game is build around it.

2) Exit Gate Switches - the second main objective and, again, mandatory to escaping. however, this consumes very little time and therefore you cant really play around it too much.

3) Totems - the secondary objective, not mandatory to escaping, though strictly tied to a killer perk that, if the objective has not been completed, can make escape rather hard for you. Totems can also take an direct effect into the game, if the killer Hexes them.

all of these 3 objectives work towards the final goal of escaping the trial.

killers on the other hand, only really have one objective:

hooks. the killer only wants to hook survivors.

defending generators is a secondary objective, though not mandatory to killing them. the only thing that will kill them are sacrifices on hooks.

with these hooks the killer works towards the final goal of sacrificing the survivors one by one.

so yeah, you are basically right with your statement.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306
    Options

I mean....in order to escape you have to complete generators lol

• December_1863
    December_1863 Member Posts: 206
    Options

survivors objectives: do gens, stay alive

killers objectives: gen defence, sacrifice the survivors

that's literally it

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,716
    Options

For survivors, the goal is to escape. That means repairing gens to power the exit gates, cleansing totems to deny NOED, keeping your fellow survivors alive to help repair gens to power the gates, opening the exit gates, running out through an exit gate, and when all else fails escaping via the hatch.

For killers, the goal is to kill. Part of that is preventing gen repair so survivors can't escape, because as long as they can't escape then they're stuck on the map with you, giving you a chance to kill them. However, even if they repair all the gens, they aren't out of your reach until they actually escape out that gate. Any survivor on the map is still in play; Blood Warden has punished many survivors who think otherwise.

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    Options

Whatever you want it to be.

• xKRJ
    xKRJ Member Posts: 3
    Options

I only hate noed because im always the only one doing totems. I mainly do them if i see them. Typically i do three or four each match.

I wish survivors did totems more often

• Glory
    Glory Member Posts: 241
    Options

Holy #########, man. Too many people responded to this before ANYONE even thought to say this. Good on ya, bubba portrait guy

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

Repair generators in 4 minutes then leave.

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772
    Options

Main objective is to bully the Killer! The international calling/sign is to repeatedly click your flashlight 🙂

• kalivooo
    kalivooo Member Posts: 27
    Options

To have fun and enjoy the game?

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369
    edited October 2019
    Options

EDIT: The comment I wrote was to answer another topic so I deleted it.

BTW, If NOED exists is their fault.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

You're telling me!? You play games!? To have fun!!!!????? Impossible.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Options

Well it totally depends who you ask.

In core it's to kill or survive.

Other's like to pip, so they can rank up.

Overall BP are important.

The sportsman would say, as long as you have fun.

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    Options

The objective for me is to have fun

• Rin_is_my_waifu
    Rin_is_my_waifu Member Posts: 963
    Options

Yeah I have so much fun playing clown or bubba in red ranks

• Bloodlust_Gamer69
    Bloodlust_Gamer69 Member Posts: 167
    Options

TO HAVE FUN

• Ol_Philly_Six
    Ol_Philly_Six Member Posts: 35
    Options

As a survivor main, I apologize for my idiotic kin-folk. I very rarely play killer, but when I do, I'm usually rocking NOED. Unless you stand there staring at the person on the hook (or with hillbilly/nurse stand and watch from a short distance) then you can't really do much wrong as killer. We try to live, you try to stop us, how you do that is entirely up to you. Perks are there for a reason, if it was unfair they'd have nerfed it by now (probably).

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175
    Options

That's like saying that your objective is to crouch walk the whole match because spies from the shadows exists, or never working on regressing generators is your objective because surveillance exists. No reason to play around a perk you aren't counting on seeing. Just because it is the candiru of dead by daylight doesn't mean you are guaranteed a fish up the peehole.

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175
    Options

Also to answer OP's question, I feel like getting bloodpoints is the main objective.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    Options

Survivor is surviving. Killer is killing. It's in the name.

One could also argue that emblems are the objective I suppose.

• WickedKatz
    WickedKatz Member Posts: 238
    Options

You can't escape without gens being done, so that is the survivor objective. And you cant kill if the survivors leave after doing gens, so you need to prevent gen completion. Hope i made everything clear.

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 355
    edited October 2019
    Options

A lot of people put emphasis on surviving, they will literally leave everyone behind to secure their escape. In reality piping is related to how well you do in the scoring factors, altruism/boldness being one of the highest. Keep that in mind, when you wonder why you are what rank, and complain about not surviving trials. Just imo.

just have fun and don’t be toxic whatever side your on. Bc we are all playing the same game. You should play both sides and be fair/kind to each other. I personally don’t run things I hate going against and you shouldn’t either.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    Options

But you CAN kill them after gens are done. Just to clarify

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

The goal is to escape, the objective is anything that helps you achieve that goal.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

The "goal" as set by the game is to survive... but I find that boring/frustrating in solo que, so my goal is slightly different... to get head on to work at least once per game. That's for survivor though.

As killer, I just play to my best, if I get people, I kill them... If I don't, I don't. That simple. : P