What got you into Dead By Daylight?

Options
Creepingcam1070
Creepingcam1070 Member Posts: 330
edited October 2019 in General Discussions

I played alot of Friday the 13th and I still do. But when the lawsuit hit the game it was hard to find lobbies so I wanted another game like that. Then, my friend told me about Dead By Daylight and there was no going back after that.

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

free weekend then bought it for 40$

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options

Death, I adored F13th the game and a friend recomended this one too so... Got it since launch, no regrets

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

A co-worker played it in it's opening months and streamed it. At his urging I picked it up

We don't talk about those days anymore, and I think we agreed to disagree on the balance because his survivor bias is extreme.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Steam recommendation after Evolve: Stage 2 died. *cries*

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,055
    Options

It was free for Ps plus and I instantly got hooked!

;)

• Frosty
    Frosty Member Posts: 375
    Options

It was free and unique (to a degree)

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615
    Options

Was looking for Asymmetrical games after loving Evolve.

Found F13 and DbD played DbD at console launch but mostly mained F13 until that died in early 2018.

Now DbD is my favorite multiplayer game.

• Creepingcam1070
    Options

Unique in terms of being the first to create this type of game.

• S_Panda
    S_Panda Member Posts: 539
    Options

I watched kaif's group mess around on DBD and it got me interested. I'm working on getting enough people owning it to do my own KYF groups :D

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519
    Options

me and my friends were looking for a new game to play together, and it was at the same time it was on a free weekend. we all liked it so we decided to cop it

• Frosty
    Frosty Member Posts: 375
    Options

If that is true then yes, I won't pretend to know though. However it was the first I'd seen a game like this.

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471
    Options

Watched the a couple videos from Vanoss and H2O Delirious, and Soviet Womble's video. Fast forward a year and was looking through a Christmas catalogue and saw it and thought that it looked fun from what I'd seen.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

I watched Seananners and the boys play it. That got me interested right away.

• TheALIEN
    TheALIEN Member Posts: 327
    Options

A vid by Chilled Chaos with Seananners Xx

• MemberBerry
    MemberBerry Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2019
    Options

Back in January (or was it February?) 2017, I was watching Markiplier's RE7 gameplay, back when he was playing it. Became a fan of that game, causing me to stumble upon Dartigan's sins video for RE7. At one point, he says "WARNING: contains spoilers from Blair Witch Project, SAW, TCM...." and I was like "SAW? Never heard of that imma search it".

And so I did, still rate it as the best horror franchise to this day. That got me into more horror, so I eventually watched all of F13, Shining, The thing (original), all of Child's play, and all of Halloween. A month later, I stumble upon F13 the game on steam. Wanted to buy it until I saw the negative reviews and was like "nah ain't spending 30$ for a hated game". A week later, I stumble upon a youtube video called "Myers vs Jason rap battle: F13 vs Dead by Daylight" and I was like "The #########? That dead game has Myers in it?".

Luckily, it was back in september 2017, when the game was f2p for 3 days, with the ongoing sale of 50% of all products, DLC included. Played 3 games, 1 as each of the first 3 killers, bought the game + Myers DLC for like 15$, loved it even more months later when Pig came out, still love that killer to this very day.

Do I regret finding this game out? Yes. Yes I actually do. Not once in my life have I met a community this dense, ignorant and toxic. Not once in my life have I played a game that kisses the toes of one side ever since release. Not once have I seen the devs that took this long to realize what this game needs. I mean c'mon, it took this game 2 years to barely be just below average because they removed pallet vacuum back then. At this point it's average, but still not enough, because survivors are still the power role at optimal levels of play on both sides.

Will never deny that I had fun playing Myers, Pig, failing as Nurse, playing Spirit and then Legion, but god damn could I go through my life without the stress of playing killer and trying to explain to people that most killers are weaker than survivors at high ranks.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

I saw people playing this game on youtube when it first launched. It looked very cool and different from other online games so I decided to buy it

• seagl3e
    seagl3e Member Posts: 24
    Options

Bought it when it came out but was too afraid to really play it lol, then after 72hrs got popular he made me want to play it again so its thanks to him I have over 1k hours, I really miss him.

• TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712
    edited October 2019
    Options

I've always been a fan of horror. I grew up watching films like Halloween, F13, and Scream. So, back in 2016 when it was announced that this little game I've never heard of called Dead By Daylight was adding my favorite horror killer Michael Myers, Laurie Strode, and a Haddonfield map all based on the classic 1978 Halloween film, I was instantly hooked. Thing was, DBD was only on PC at the time, so I had to sit on the sidelines, just hoping and praying it would someday come to consoles. 1 year later, it did, so needless to say, I got it.

I've been playing ever since. Before DBD, I played the F13 game, which I still do. What keeps me coming back is the dark atmosphere, and constant horror icons being added. My second favorite horror icon is Ghostface, so you can imagine my excitement when he was leaked earlier this year, and released soon after. Just the thought of there even being a game like this where you can play as and against these horror icons with real people online blew me away, like it was too good to be true. It was something I only dreamed of for years. I very much look forward to seeing who they add next in the future.

• Creepingcam1070
    Options

To be honest Friday the 13th The Game is a better game when it comes to how much fun it is, because Dead By Daylight has alot of frustrating moments. But that doesn't mean I hate Dead By Daylight, when its fun its really really fun but when its not fun its really not fun. Friday The 13th is always fun no matter what.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    Options

I bought this game on Feb/9th/2018 after i quit league of legends on that day i got to a boiling point with the developers and the balance team of that game as it was the same type of balance they would just knock one meta out to bring in another and it was repeat of old meta's like tank meta assassin meta etc.

From the second i bought this game downloaded it and played it i was in love with it but the odd thing is i had followed the progress of the game since 2016 although i had a really crappy laptop back then that could barely run minecraft so i was not able to play but i got my new computer in early of 2018 which is also was led me to buying dbd.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247
    Options

My girlfriend plays as a survivor and she kept wanting to me to play but being a victim didn't appeal to me. Once I found out that I could play as a killer I dove right in.

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158
    Options

I watched SuperButterBun's video on it with her friends and it looked so fun that I just instantly bought it. Highly recommend watching!

https://youtu.be/amJDA6sXut4

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129
    Options

It was on sale so I was like why not?

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    edited October 2019
    Options

@KiraElijah and @AshySlashyVsEvilDead watched H20 delirious and one day bought it. They convinced me to play it but at first I admittedly thought it looked stupid.

Now they’ve quit and I love this game.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

When F13 came to a end I decided to give DBD a try.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Options

I watched the game for awhile in 2016 and continued to follow DBD throughout the years until it dropped on PS4... I watched tru3, noob3, hybrid, monto.. etc.... and those guys motivated me to play DBD.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Options

My friend was like buy this game , and So I watched some gameplay (hybrid pandas I think?) and then bought it.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,053
    Options

Roommate got it on sale during the Hallowed Blight event last year. He suggested I try it out since we're both horror nerds. I got it and instantly fell in love.

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238
    Options

I've been watching the game since 2016 but I couldn't play it until December 2017🎃

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149
    Options

Watched some of my favorite Youtubers play the game, and then I bought it on January 2017.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    Options

The one player (killer) hunting and killing 4 innocent survivors gameplay, I just love it.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Asymmetrical stealth.

I really want games in that genre

• CaptainCastle
    CaptainCastle Member Posts: 536
    Options

I bought it for mikey. Super glad they're nerfing him in ew1 lol

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306
    Options

My favorite Youtuber was playing it so I got hooked for a bit. Forgot all about it until it became free on PS Plus and haven’t stopped playing since

• Larisa
    Larisa Member Posts: 176
    Options

Friend showed me this game. But when I found out it had Michael Myers in it I had no doubts

• LordLoboX
    LordLoboX Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2019
    Options

I bought DBD the day after it launched on the PS4. I haven't looked back since. I was into Friday The 13th at the time, but it always annoyed me that I couldn't choose to be Jason. When I heard there was a similar game out that gave me the option to play as killer, or survivor, I picked it up.

Now I own it on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and looking into getting it on the Switch.

There is something very addicting about DBD...

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

Vanoss playing it when it was newer and I loved Michael Myers, both got me into it.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,523
    Options

Massive horror movie fan, saw new game being released featuring chance to stalk and kill teens. Picked it up and barely played it. Then the Halloween DLC came out and I started to pour in the hours. I've not looked back since!

I'd consider myself a film fan first, gamer second, so the more Horror Icons the better!

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,758
    Options

Two friends of mine who I was always playing Friday the 13th with kept telling me I should play it. When I heard Michael Myers was in it, that clinched it.

• Gemaniacal
    Gemaniacal Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Options

A streamer I discovered during the PC F13: Game beta, went on to play this once that beta wrapped up. I was new to the Asymmetrical horror scene, and instantly developed a respect for DBD, simply for being in that same genre. A game type that I couldn't wait to get my hands on. And, oh yeah, seeing Michael Myers was in the game, didn't hurt!

Initially picked it up on console, as a simple alternative to F13:The Game. Just as a side/break, type game. But it quickly grew on me, and consumed my life. Thus having the opposite of affect, lol.

Post edited by Gemaniacal on
  • SteelDragon
    SteelDragon Member Posts: 745
    Options

I played another 4v1 game called Evolve stage 2, man I miss that game. it was so great but 2K pulled the plug because they are a garbage greedy company, I loved the 4v1 format and so I looked at DBD, bought and played it since. big thing is that evolve stage 2 was so much more balanced than DBD, and it had a shorter life to.....

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Played F13. Then heard there was a game I could play as Michael Myers. As Halloween is my favorite horror franchise I had to try it.

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    Options

luck that one day i was bored and install a random game on my ps4 and then move on pc

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

My kid brother showed it to me when he brought his PS4 over to my house one day. After that, saw some game footage of it being played by COMPETENT ppl and it got my attention.

• RainbowPatooie
    RainbowPatooie Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2019
    Options

I watched a YouTuber play it sometime soon after its release, added it to my steam wishlist, and forgot about it. Then one day I saw an email saying it was 50% off so I decided to finally pick it up. Found out almost immediately after that a majority of the friend group I was currently playing other games with had dbd so I started to play with them, and I became hooked.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

Mid 2017: Always been a massive horror film fan but there always seemed to be a lack of decent licensed games. Got Friday 13th near enough on release. Superb game. Then heard Michael Myers was coming to Dead By Daylight on the PC. Brought it on PS4 soon afterwards and have been pretty addicted ever since.