The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Revisiting Totem Risks for Survivors

2»

Comments

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

I made a suggestion a while ago that got little traction, but personally I feel an interesting change could be that Hex Totems arnt lit up at all.

That way the problem of SWF location call outs during a chase is avoided and survivors spend more time just destroying every totem they see, which helps the killer a bit which Ithink we all agree is a bit needed atm.

Next to that I would simple add more totems (not changing the requirements for perks of NoeD thought) just to spread some uncertainty and again potentially, give the killer a bit more time.

• yutycorn
    yutycorn Member Posts: 246

Yea that would be beneficial as well. Totems in general are an iffy part of the game and need something. We all can def agree on that.

• Boodge
    Boodge Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2020

Some of the suggestions in here are way too strong.

I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for all totems to just give a notification to the killer when cleansed (the same kind as when a gen explodes). It would be dumb to light up the survivor the rest of the match like some people suggested. But giving the killer a brief notification would give survivors a bit of a risk of drawing attention when cleansing.

The only other change I think would be good would be tying all totems to exit gate opening time. Increase the base time it takes to open a gate by 25 seconds, and have each totem cleansed reduce open time by 5 seconds. Now survivors are a bit more incentivised to hunt down totems instead of doing gens. There is your secondary goal, without punishing survivors too harshly.

I think a good killer perk could be increased stats for every totem cleansed, maybe some special affect when the last totem is cleansed.

All these suggestions would incentivize totems to be done, but also provide adequate risk to doing them, without feeling like survivors are taking a beating stick.

Post edited by Boodge on
  • FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited January 2020

And then what would happen with killers that always come into the game "Sweaty"? Would not changes be to strong to a killer player who always uses every trick in the book?

Frankly, if you don't care enough to always use every trick at your disposal, you don't deserve to win. So I fail to see a problem. I mean, if you don't care enough to put out the effort, why do you care about winning?

• Polychrome_Baku
    Polychrome_Baku Member Posts: 404

I adore your videos and am surprised you haven't been banned here. Anyways. I personally feel that when a survivor cleanses a hex, they should take the debuff into themselves. For instance, lullaby skill checks, regressing any gen they touch if they cleanse bad!Ruin, or being blinded for the remainder of the match if they cleanse third seal. Dunno what I would do in regards to devour hope.

All this being said, I doubt the devs will make hex cleansing come with a risk. That would make survivors too frustrated and antsy, and actually have to make meaningful decisions. They've cemented the fact that they want all of the frustration on the killer side.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

gotta be balanced though. How about Object of Obsession for minute. Blendettes will go to the psych ward. Toxic Survivors get a free 5th perk and don't even know what a gen is.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

I was only being silly with them sticking out like a sore thumb. But I do like the idea of the lunar event glow.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356
    edited January 2020

Isn't the risk for survivors that they don't find the totem and have to deal with a particularly strong perk effect the entire match?

At least that's how I understand Hex: Perks. They are risky to use because survivors can disable them if they cleanse the associated totem but these perks come with a particularly powerful effect that if not removed can have a big impact on the matches outcome, especially the longer they stay active.

• DBDSM
    DBDSM Member Posts: 134

I don't know if there's a good way to punish Survivors for cleansing totems. But, what if they had increased incentive to destroy EVERY totem? My idea for a Ruin rework might help apply that. It could also theoretically give away Survivors' positions when combined with Thrill of the Hunt, which is an increased risk to cleansing.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Using every trick in the book includes tunneling, slugging and camping. Some killers don’t want to do that and extend the match to make it a little more fun. Not every killer can zoom across a map like Billy or Spirit. Some killers want to make the game fun for everyone.

In the end, all the large maps need to be reworked, but since that is going to take a long time to happen, there should be something else that slows the game a little bit. A killer getting into one short chase at the start of a map and having three gens pop isn’t fun for the killer, it will just pressure them more to get a kill faster. They don’t really have many options unless they are pro mind gamers or have anti loop abilities.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    edited January 2020

Can you imagine the juicy content Coconut would milk out of being banned? thats like 3 vids atleast of him showing he was right all along and now he is being opressed by evil BHVR for telling the truth they dont want you to know!

Final form: self proclaimed martyr reached! muahahaha

also, just saying, face camping is allowed by the devs and there is no ingame voice coms and you still cant deny a farm unhook when you are on the hook soo its not like there isnt any frustration on the survivor part

• pepperoninipples
    pepperoninipples Member Posts: 90

Why not have a new hex that any gen being worked on or has progress when totem is cleansed looses 20% progress.

• Kongtwenty12
    Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2020

My question is do we need to increase the risk of "doing" totems because there are a lot of players that ignore then unless a hex is actually active. I think a better idea is increase the penalty for not doing them. I think it would be really interesting of the hexes had text that made it so that broken hexs respawn on a dull totem once the gates are powered.

• Knots
    Knots Member Posts: 49

Totem outlines should always be visible just like gen outlines, with the active hex totem being a different color.