Why do people suddenly find Freddy "boring"?

SirCracken
SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

And may I ask exactly where all of you were during the launch of his re-work? Because very few people seemed to be complaining at the time.

But regardless, the general survivor consensus is that Freddy is no longer fun to verse. I, however, see little reason to support this claim. For example;

Stuff that you have to keep track of against Freddy

• Your sleep timer

One of the most important things to keep track of. As long as you're awake Freddy has effectively no power. This makes him completely unique in that his potential is determined by the survivor's decisions.

• Dream snares/pallets

With snares, it's more about trying to get into the Freddy's head and predict where he's going to place them. Since the threat of snares often shuts down a loop, this means that survivors have to plan where they are going during a chase way ahead in advance.

And with pallets it's just another thing to memorize in the map, like pallet locations and loops.

• Freddy's position

Another obvious but still important factor. Since Freddy can teleport and falling asleep means losing the ability to tell how close he his, survivors have to actually use their eyes and tell where he is coming from. This also encourages learning the layout of maps and generator spawns.

So tell me, people who find Freddy boring, how exactly is keeping track of 3x the factors than a normal killer would offer somehow make Freddy brain dead to play?

Because I can certainly tell you that when I play Freddy "just spamming snares and teleports" isn't a viable way to play him.

EDIT: Since this thread was necro'ed for what ever reason I think I should explain my revised my stance on Freddy. Compared to how he was before his rework, I can now absolutely understand why people find him boring. Even if his previous incarnation was weaker his mechanics were utterly like anything dbd has done before or since, which made going against him more interesting than how Freddy is now.

In hindsight, I really wish they just buffed him and not got rid of only the only things that made him unique.

Post edited by SirCracken on

Comments

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Its because I am bad and rely on stealth and since he can see me better in dream world, I get caught easily ;_;

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I guess some people just find his counterplay to be boring, and chases against him in general. I don't agree with that but I guess that's the biggest problem.

That is to be expected in a game that has so many killers though. No killer will ever please every player.

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414

You haven't read the post.

I've already said how spamming snares does not equal a free hit. If you really think so, you clearly haven't played much of Freddy.

You must predict where the survivor is going or where they're planning to go and find the most efficient way to cut them off. Just spamming snares around a loop only gives a good survivor more leeway in where they decide to go next since you've effectively removed your chase potential by getting rid of all of your other snares.

I'll admit that pallets are mostly a "set and forget" type of thing. But you still need to herd survivors into them as Freddy and memorize where they are as survivor. Both of these actions require cognitive thought and are not brainless.

And please stop saying what is or isn't fun without and explanation as to why. It just further waters down the discussion because you don't add anything of substance. What am I supposed to say to "I don't find this fun" when you don't even bother to explain why?

The only thing I'll agree with is that Freddy having 1 attack, (and by that I think you mean no other means of injuring survivors besides M1), is a bit dull.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

I actually find Freddy good to go against because he keeps me on my toes. Unlike a certain killer that I will not name to avoid MORE backlash than usual.

It's not a case of "Oh no. He found me, I'm screwed because there's not the right type of cover" unlike some killers.

I find that I still have to actually work for everything I get in a game. As a survivor AND Freddy.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

Freddy is fine

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Started doing it a while ago for some reason and just continued using blockers to the point where it became a (pointless) habit.

• ApeOfMazor
    ApeOfMazor Member Posts: 471

Old freddy was more fun even if he sucked. The new one is boring.

• Nemmy_Wemmy
    Nemmy_Wemmy Member Posts: 800
    edited March 2020

Aww why do you hide your perks and addons? I was interested in the build you usually run on Bubba boi xD

Always like trying new builds!

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698
  • Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

A lot of survivors act like they received a Doctor's lobotomy/remothering, and so they don't really care about the clocks or running to them. They're asleep, so what? there is no reason to wake up (sure, swing chains exist, but...). Sure they can be effected by traps, but if they buy enough time, 2/3 gens can get done. If gens actually took time, then they would feel the need to wake up more often.

He's still weaker to meta perks (with the exception of BT), which really doesn't help him in the long run for enjoyment.

That and his teleport takes ages to come back.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    edited March 2020

What is exactly "fun" in this list? Just because you have many things to keep track of doesn't make him any more enjoyable for me at all. The only fun part of the game is chases and I don't consider getting chased by him fun.

The counterplay of snares is basically drop the pallet early in most cases. So enjoyable right?

Dream pallets are braindead easy to use and luck based (for the most part) when going against. Not enjoyable.

There are also many small things that irritate me like how borrowed time is a wasted perk slot against him and how he can get free gen slowdown without doing anything.

The skill required to play him mostly comes from playing M1 killers in general, nothing specific to freddy.

I never found him enjoyable to go against but after playing against that Old Ruin/PGTW/Thanataphobia + Slowdown addons build so many times, I just despise going against him even though that build doesn't exist anymore. It just made me realize how boring he really was.

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002

I personally hated the old Freddy, his ability was so annoying. I think this new one is much better and he seems stronger to play as and against. I'm not sure why people dislike him, as I personally prefer going against strong killers.

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

His power is nothing original. He can teleport just like Hag, he can place fake pallets just like Doctor and he can slow survivors down with his traps like Clown-Trapper combination.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

He's like the NOED of killers - You can negate his lullaby and snares/pallets (leaving him with just a slow cooldown TP if everyone stays awake), but why bother when you can just launch a nerf campaign?

• MPUK
    MPUK Member Posts: 357

I don't like that with fake pallets the only way to tell is if you have small game equipped or just by pulling the pallet and finding out. Small game helps yes, but when you are in late game, asleep, being chased and you run to a spot where there are 2 pallets showing. Small game has gone off before I get up close to isolate one from the other and then I have a cooldown. So I just have to pull it and it is all luck as to whether I survive or take a hit. I don't know if it has changed recently but they don't show up on a map that tracks killer's belongings either?? Hag traps do though, as does the Trapper. I mean I guess I could just run to areas where there are only window vaults he can't tamper with but sometimes you're caught out in the open.

Even though he is a really strong killer there seems to be a lot of people who camp and hardcore tunnel with him too, so that also removes the fun from the game.

I preferred the old Freddyto play as and play against, mostly because I am a big fan of the movies and I loved the moments where you would be healing with him approaching you, hoping for a skill check to wake up and just as he started his lunge you would get one and wake up, stopping his hit. That felt like the movie. Wake up and you're safe.

The slowdown could be irritating but it was easy enough to wake up when you weren't in a chase and it wasn't a passive sleep.

Of course in endgame he was very weak but overall I felt his ability in that version was more like Freddy in the movies.

I used to play him quite a lot but now I do find him a bit boring to play as because it is often way too easy to kill them all.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

because he used to be original and cool and now he is a boring cheap pos

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

I just want to say, that the complains about him aren't new, his slowdown addons got nerfed last december after a lot of complains about that specific build.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that: Yes, people might say that Freddy is op or boring because they don't pay attention to counters but I think the easy stigma on Freddy comes from a different perspective: Freddy has a really high killrate, so he is apparently a strong killer, but he doesn't need a specific skill like Nurse, Hillbilly, Huntress etc. You obviously still need to know how to mindgame and stuff and a general knowlegde how to use snares (but I see dream pallets more frequently, who are just a luck thing), but a lot of people think, that that is quite less knowlegde compared to other Killers.

So I personally don't mind playing against freddy and I don't think that I die more frequently against him than against other killers but I can totally understand the easy thing. To add a personal anecdote: A friend of mine, who is a survivor main, wanted to get the Rang 1 Killer achievement and he did it with forever Freddy. Obviously a single personal experience proves nothing, but I still wonder, if he would have been able to do that as fast with a different killer.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I don't really find him that boring but probably because a lot of freddy players play the exact same way. Can't really blame them as slowdown and PGTW work well on him but it's not like with Billy where it's common to see everything from someone mostly using their chainsaw to mobility to someone that refuses to M1 unless they have to do it or lose, and everything inbetween.

His snares might also make people feel the same way as with clown. Even people that think clown is weak might dislike that the counterplay is just "drop the pallet earlier" as it could be argued that takes away gameplay or something. It's effective, but not very exciting?

Again, I don't really have much of an issue with Freddy at all. These are just reasons and assumptions I've seen people throw around and even though I disagree I can see where they're coming from.

• ninjamediness64
    ninjamediness64 Member Posts: 125

I bought this game for old Freddy, and I was looking forward to his rework. He's much better (obviously), but they made him much stronger and easier. Since old Freddy was so weak, it was a fun challenge to do well with his extremely unique playstyle. There were also a lot of different ways to play him and use his power. New Freddy has such a clear, straightforward way of playing him that I don't find him enjoyable anymore.

He's better for the game, but he's no longer the killer I loved playing.

• Seltas0208
    Seltas0208 Member Posts: 1,056

Because they made Freddy a killer who exells at getting the second hit. Apart from that and his gen teleport he's your standard m1 killer with some fancy mechanics.

Compared to old Freddy he's a lot better, but a bit more standardised which took away some of the fun people used to get from playing Freddy. For example old Freddy was the only one who made good use of furtive chase. Furtive. Chase.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I don't have an issue with him personally. But I believe it's because almost every Freddy plays exactly the same. They run a Forever Freddy build and tunnel off the hook. At least that's what I usually get with Freddy's. When there seems to be literally one playstyle it gets pretty stale.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Pallet Freddy is boring because it's either memorizing the whole map pallet distribution or pray that the pallet you're going to is real. Even as killer I find it boring because it removes interaction, you just spam pallets everywhere and wait for survivors to go to the wrong one.

Snares Freddy is fun though.

• Anevian
    Anevian Member Posts: 47

I dont think he is boring, unless its forever Freddy, I dislike playing as and against him because dreamworld drops my fps by a decent chunk. That and I swear to nea his lunge animation isn't quite right. It's like Freddy superman punches you with those claws man.

• Gravewalker200
    Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 451

Kinda hard to say they don't spam cause when I loop them for more than 1 minute, they place a minefield around my hook

• StevePerryPsychOut
    StevePerryPsychOut Member Posts: 190

Playing as: very easy. Passive stealth, teleport, deceptive melee range compared to animation, easy anti-loop ability, access to copious slowdown, all combined make it easy to do well with little skill required.

Playing against: short timer before passive sleep debuff, above means most teammates pretty much give up before the game even starts,

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I don’t play red rank so I don’t have first-hand experience, but I’ve read a lot on the forum about how Freddy is by far the most common red rank killer right now.

I suppose that seeing too much of the same killer can be “unfun” and “boring”. However, that’s more an issue of how viable other killers are at red ranks rather than a problem with Freddy.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

He's boring because all the new players don't want to take the time to learn how to counter a Killer with more utility than most.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Its not new. Since his rework you will find more than enough threads about him being "braindead" to play. And in total, thats right. As survivor you cannot track all pallets down, and there is no chance to know the longer the game goes on. Also his snares are braindead too, just put three, four five at a loop and get safe downs. Rinse and repeat. Oh i forget, just port back to hooks with a gen nearby, for a safe tunneling down. Pretty good job so far.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Counter argument he isn’t “brain dead.” As far as spamming snares they don’t work if you’re awake, so when you fall asleep either fail a check or head to the alarm, sorry we interrupt holding M1 on the gen.