Buff & Nerf ( in other words, Balance ) Thanatophobia. [ Idea ]

Godot
Godot Member Posts: 806
edited March 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Before you attack me, please read all of it! Thank you.

Every Killer runs this perk, but it's not THAT great, unless you're using Legion or some other Killer that moves around the map quickly. Sure, it does slow the game down, but I think it could be even better. Maybe it could be a different version of the old Ruin.

I was thinking, what if we turned Thanatophobia into a Hex perk (I always thought it would fit it better, since the icon for it is a bunch of skulls), but made it much stronger in terms of it's ability. Instead of it giving 3% / 3.5% / 4% reduced action speed for each injured Survivor there is, make it 4% / 4.5% / 5% or even higher (9% / 9.5% / 10%?), for a total of 16% / 18% / 20%.

Why would this be a good thing?:

• As I said, it could be like the old Ruin. As a Survivor, you have to find a totem otherwise repairing generators would be slow for the entire game, as long as someone is injured.
  • " Well yeah, but the Survivors can just find this instantly and- " Not so fast. To make it better, the Hex Totem would only be placed down at a location if the Killer injures a Survivor. Said Totem would spawn as far away as possible from the Survivors. This way the Survivors can't instantly find it and it will slow the game down drastically if they don't cleanse said totem.
  • The Survivors would only get a notification of this totem existing, if they are repairing a generator.

Why would it be a buff?:

• The ability would be much stronger than it already is.

Why would it be a nerf?:

• It would be turned into a Hex perk.

I would like your honest thoughts on this. I personally think this would be fair for both Survivors and Killers. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, or if you suggest that you don't want it to be changed at all, you are free to suggest it in a reply!

Comments

• XRuecian
    XRuecian Member Posts: 118

While i think thanatophobia could use a tiny buff, i don't think it should be a hex perk. I already dislike having to rely on hex perks as it is, they are extremely unreliable and its like rolling the dice if it even gets any value or not in a game. Even if they wait until you injure a survivor to spawn the hex totem in, it could still end up spawning on top of a hill or right beside a generator for everyone to see without them having to spend any time actually looking for it. Thanatophobia is already counterable by just healing, it doesn't need a secondary counter (cleansing it).

At the moment, at full stacks, thanatophobia will make a generator take 92 seconds instead of 80 while solo repairing. Which isn't bad, but it is very rare that you will ever have it fully stacked with most killers. It also gains no benefit from dead survivors, so it eventually starts falling off. If you assume on average that you will have two survivors injured, it will add 6~ seconds to a generator, which is pretty underwhelming.

I think it should be buffed to just slow down speeds by 5% per injured survivor. Any more than that and this perk would quickly become overly oppressive. 20% isn't much on it's own, but if you apply sloppy butcher and dying light, deep wounds from legion, etc. Suddenly it takes so long to heal that they can't afford to.

The main purpose of thanatophobia is to make players want to heal, rather than be comfortable staying injured, so that you can get more value out of perks like nurse's calling. If you make it a hex perk, it will lose that purpose.