Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Inner Strength vs Self Care by the numbers, why all the Self care hate?

johnmwarner
johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

First a couple things, I do run Inner Strength quite a bit especially with Detective or a Map so I consider it better than SC for me, and I almost never run SC anymore unless I'm doing a meme build. But are they really that different? People who run Self-care are ridiculed and Inner Strength is considered by many to be almost meta if not quite top tier.

Self-care takes 32 seconds, barring Sloppy/Thana/etc and can be done unlimited times wherever you are.

Inner Strength takes 10 seconds to cleanse a totem and 10 seconds to heal, so 20 seconds total it's got the edge there clearly. However the way the time is split makes it a bit harder to quantify. It's only 10 seconds to heal when you actually get to that point so you can prep a lot of the work. But there is some additional time to travel and find a totem or locker.

The other thing that makes it harder to compare is sometimes cleansing totems is so important you would do it even without Inner Strength so it's just a bonus, for example any Hex ruin or when you are protecting against NOED. However the likelihood of other people running it means you may only find 1 totem therefore only use it once all game.

TLDR I think Inner Strength is better than Self-care, but is it that far and that clear cut to everyone else?

Comments

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

Self-care requires you to heal out in the open wasting a lot of time and potentially exposing yourself to Nurse's Calling or a ######### tunneling killer.

Inner Strength on the other hand, if used correctly, puts you back in the game in a less vulnerable state right away without all the extra hassle. By used correctly I mean you start the match looking for a totem which, if you know where to find them, is quite easy. Then once you're downed you can hop in a nearby locker as most hooks have lockers nearby and you're ready to go in a much shorter time.

• migaloo
    migaloo Member Posts: 26

If it wasn't a DLC perk, more people would use it.

• Mrs_Fairfield
    Mrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125

It seems like a waste of time and a perk slot to heal just one survivor. I would rather bring a med kit, find a teammate or run adrenaline.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

But it is something you should be doing anyway, whether you have Inner Strength or not. You may choose not to cleanse it, but remembering it at the very least can hardcore save you from NOED. It even helps you with other hex perks, telling you where not to look.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

Adrenalin is the only healing perk I use. If I get hit, I play wounded until the end or let someone heal me.

Inner strength however looks quite interesting and I am curious to try it

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I use Self Care responsibly. I only choose the finest corners to heal in.

My builds are usually killer confrontation heavy though. Borrowed Time saves usually require me to take a hit.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

It's something survivors should be doing, yes! I agree with you 100%.

But in reality they don't, I'm not a huge fan of Inner Strength, there's always a limit and if you're with a good team, how many times can you use it?

How many totems are there if you're paired with decent survivors?

At best 2?

1?

• johnmwarner

This was my main point really, it happens frequently that you spawn with another survivor so if you both spawn in a totem and they take it what do you do? I would just do the gen and find a totem later, but I see plenty of players even streamers go looking for a totem before doing anything else. Wasting time like that makes it basically as bad or worse than self care.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

I prefer Self-Care due to consistency. I'll ALWAYS be able to use it, no wory about charges or Franklin's Demise, not having to find a totem. Then again, I also run either Bond or Botany Knowledge with it, and will let a teammate heal me if they're nearby.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

If you get two uses out of it, you got to use it. Even if you only get 1 use, that's still fine. Do you really need to be fully healed more than two times during a match? That would just be wasting time healing instead of doing gens. The matches don't last very long these days that I feel healing once or twice is the norm during matches.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

A lot of the self care hate is because of how some people use it. You know, the stereotypical "Blendette that runs to an obscure corner and self cares even if the last gen is at 90% and she got hit and left right next to it" situations. As well as people that run away from a potential quick double heal to self care in a corner.

The perk itself is fine, it's a tool like any other that you don't have to use whenever you can, and it's also synergizes very well with botany knowledge and even rather modest medkits like a yellow medkit + bandages.

Self care will always be popular because on-demand healing no matter what is an attractive ability, as it takes time and experience to feel comfortable doing pretty much anything while injured.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Inner strength also syncs well with head on a d ds. Self care also sets off nurses calling if your close. Inner strength helps stop noed.

Overall self care is just a complete waste of time and I wouldn't play with anyone if they run self care or urban.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

I once watched a stream of a big name (not going to say who he was), he was ridiculing self care users, praising inner strength while looking for a totem and running past gens. I counted... He wasted 90 seconds total.

Now this said, can't wait for it to go on the shrine and test it out myself, but just like self care, depending how you use it, you're just wasting your teams time

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

I mostly like Inner cause i can "bank" a heal in case. But that heal is limited by other players cleansing totems.

• PigMainClaudette

Looks like we'll never play together then. I'll take my unlimited use perk and heal up in the time it takes you to find a totem.

BTW, I already cleansed 2 to help cancel out the possibility of NoED.

Just saying that ONE person with Inner Strength is fine, but limited. 3-4 is basically detrimental and a worse One Use Only perk than the ACTUAL one use perks.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

How many times do you need to heal during a trial? Multiplied with 32 seconds. Normally I would say once per hook, and a maximum of 2 additional times when you escape a chase. If you heal more often than 4 times a match, then already something is going wrong or the killer is only on you.

This is of course about how you use the perk. If you waste time finding totems and not searching for them when you pass the area anyway, you lose time. Same when you run around to find a save spot to heal, unless you don't want to give the killer an easy down while staying stationary for quite some time, especially when against Sloppy/Thana.

Both perks have their pros and cons, but I think Inner Strength has simply the better odds to being efficient.

Btw Inner Strength counters Coulrophobia, Nurses Calling, BBQ, Dying Light, Sloppy, Thana and Lullaby, in addition all killer addons that have such a slowdown effect (Trapper, Freddy, Wraith, Billy, Bubba, Huntress, Pig, Clown, Legion, Slinger [I know, common only on Freddy, Huntress and Wraith]) as well as Onis power and his aura reading addon while standing in your blood.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    edited April 2020

With Self Care you spend a lot of time sitting there doing nothing until you're healed up and it's affected by Sloppy and other slow downs. Sure it's unlimited but damn it takes too much time. Even with botany it's still a pretty good amount of time you're wasting. You're also powering up the Oni as well so there's that.

Inner Strength helps destroy NOED and ignores all slow downs. Sure there are limited uses and you need to find a totem but it's still a super quick heal and finding a totem isn't very difficult and a good help to your team. It also syncs with Head On and Ds so you can be safe while in the locker you're healing in and you get a meme stun lol. Inner Strength is also very healthy for the game as it provides another reason to stop pumping gens so fast. Overall amazing perk when properly used.

Edit: If this reads like a C- essay then sorry. It's 2 in the morning. 😅

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351

Selfcare is used by immersed players who let people go into 2nd phase selfcaring 20 meters away from hook, or selfcare when they're right next to a gen that's at like 95%, ready to pop. Consequently, the best killer perk is actually Selfcare, since you make survivors waste 32 seconds healing, which is roughly 42% progress on a gen. Now equip sloppy and thana and it's a 4 minute gg with 2 gens at most being done. Don't know how many games I've lost due to people selfcaring when they could've been doing gens or saving or running the killer. But no let's use selfcare because we're too insecure in our looping capabilities.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2020

Inner Strenght is definetly better. Hunting/cleansing totems is something that already happens naturally during a match, and the fact it can be "stored" for later makes it very handy. The fact that the actual healing takes just 8 seconds ignoring slow down perks and makes you immune to aura reading (which is staple meta for killers) make it a risk-free perk, which is a huge advantage.

The only advantages of Self Care are the points for skillchecks and the unlimited uses, but realistically you don't need more than 2-3 heals per game

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

Oh yeah, Self Care is the best killer perk to fight gen rushing because gen rushing isn't a current issue.

A+ for effort.

I use Self Care, I'm a solo player and I don't like relying on others to heal me, and I'm not going to spend 30 seconds looking for a totem, 10 seconds looking for a locker and an extra 8 seconds healing in the locker.

I'm Rank 1 at the moment, and you know what they say

And it's working for me.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

How do i, as a injured survivor, signal the two random players that i want to heal only to 99% so i can still use my resilience?

If you can tell me how i consistantly can do that, and they still heal me up the last % if the killer is there (and thus they likly take a hit for me) i stop running self care. Deal?

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

Self-Care

32 seconds of healing yourself; Exposed to the killer; Much weaker if killer has perks like Sloppy Butcher.

Inner Strenght

14 seconds spent on doing side objective; 8 seconds of hiding; Counters Sloppy Butcher and other things that make healing slower;

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

If they're cleansing a totem AND THEN healing they're doing it wrong. A good survivor should already have one ready unless something ######### happened like the killer spawned next to them at the start of the match and they got downed instantly. In that case you taking time to heal them would be faster. But if they have IS ready after being unhooked and you wanna heal them...that's not very productive. Two survivors healing means two survivors not on gens.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Who the hell told you that Inner Strength is meta or even top tier?

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

That's one situation I honestly didn't even think of, but a very good point. You can press shift to cancel it, but most of the time they'd probably just chase after you instead of understanding what you're doing. And they might also get a skillcheck that ruins it.

I have no problems with self care, and what you're talking about is a very handy use of the perk anyway. I'm just saying that the issues a lot of people have with self care comes down to how people use it and not the perk itself.

• FearedbytheGods
    FearedbytheGods Member Posts: 476

*chest thumping*

In short, only 'leet' players hate on self-care because they have the skills to run a game without it.

Now back to reality.

It's a safe heal (situation permitting) that is a good back up for when your out of position and you can't find someone close through Bond (or w/e).

I've seen games where survivors refuse to heal that may be due to many reasons but I weigh part of that is wanting to be a 'dark souls' leet gamer.

Self-care is fine but people virtue signal they don't 'need' it, just so they dont get called soft.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Both are fine.

Inner Strength's weakness is popularity.

If all 4 use it, you'll probably get 1 heal out of it.

Now that might certainly be enough, but you'll also get some matches in which you really could've used another one.

You also might have problems finding your first Totem.

Self Care is simply but effective.

Choose the right time and no one will suffer from you using it.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Looks like we won't lol inner strength can't be run by more than 2 people in a team but that's ok. Shock that claudette is running self care and is still taking my totems lol

If I see a player running self care as killer I'm happy. I know they'll waste their teams time by healing everytime their hit.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

You've basically said it yourself, but each one has pros and cons.

Self Care

• You can do it wherever you want.
    • Unlimited uses.
    • Takes a long time (32 seconds base, more against perks like Thanataphobia or Sloppy Butcher, which are very common).

Inner Strength

• Takes 22 seconds total, only increased by Thrill of the Hunt. Ignores heal speed modifiers.
    • Efficient: You get rid of a totem AND heal at the same time.
    • Limited uses.
    • Can be hard to find a totem sometimes based on maps, whether your teammates are also cleansing totems.

I'd roll with Inner Strength, personally. With Sloppy alone, Self Care goes up to a 40 second heal (half a gen). Even if I do only get one or two heals with it, odds are someone's going to be there to heal me most of the time anyway and I won't need more than one or two self heals in a match.

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

Self Care is incredibly bad because of the Opportunity Cost.. You're not doing anything at all for that entire time.

Doing a gen injured is better.

Saving someone is better.

Healing someone else is better.

Imagine this situation:

Someone is on the hook. Two are injured. And the 4th is on a gen.

Should you both Self Care? Or should one of you heal the other, so the healed person can make the save. Then the injured person finishes the gen with the 4th. And the 4th heals you. If you play like this, you'll be Rank 1. That's all it requires.

People lose because they go hide in the corner of the map self-caring. And they win because their team carried them hard.

Self Care is bad because the Opportunity Cost is really high.

• johnmwarner

All good points, I still think if used properly it can be useful as your fourth perk. But sooo many people that run it are also urban evading stealth gamers that don’t do gens ever, as a result self care gets that rap too.

• johnmwarner

I agree inner strength for me, but I have one more thought that you could maybe answer related to this @Peanits do you think this is a good example of why perks should list numbers?

Maybe not all survivors especially new ones know that healing someone else takes 16 and healing yourself takes 32? It’s not defined unless you go to another website.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

I think this is actually a good example of why this isn't always a good idea. The time it takes to heal is dependent on the other perks being used in the match. A heal takes 16 seconds by default and 32 seconds with Self Care, but those are both increased if the killer uses Sloppy Butcher, for example. Suddenly those 16 seconds and 32 seconds numbers are completely wrong because they jump up to 20 and 40 seconds.

I'm definitely on board with saying numbers, but I would avoid showing exact times when those times are subject to change. Self Care already shows the important number.

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

I hate self care. I've been screwed over one to many times by people who use it. Like the killer is running noed and on the otherside of the map. Claudette is over in a corner self caring while everyone else is down. If the killer has noed just open the damn gate and then heal.

• PigMainClaudette

Funny story is that lately I've switched to Yui. I made my account on here and made my name BEFORE Cursed Legacy.

I've also been hit my too many NoEDs that weren't deserved, so BONES BEGONE!

I did also say earlier that I'll let others heal me too. Botany Knowledge is also pretty useful with Self-Care or when you get an unhook.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

You really shouldn't need to heal with Inner Strength more than once per match, and if you do things are already going poorly.

Also, you say "But there is some additional time to travel and find a totem or locker." but ignore that you have to spend time looking for a safe place to self care. Also, you can save the totem cleanse if you don't need it immediately and have someone else heal you quickly.

If you can spend 3+ times a match self caring I think you can spend they 16 seconds letting someone else heal you.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

You don’t need to spend 30 seconds running around looking for a totem, lol. You load into the match and run to a gen, and like 90% of the time you’ll see a totem on the way. Cleanse it and then your Inner Strength is prepped and ready for when you need it.

You also don’t need to spend time running around looking for lockers since more often than not they’re near hooks. Get unhooked, enter nearby locker for a few seconds, heal, back to playing.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Because self care available to everyone as soon as they start the game which is why this perk is used so often, while inner strength is locked behind paywall. If inner strength was available to everyone you'd see it much more, although not a lot of people would run it due to the fact that there is only 5 totems. And some people don't understand that if you're getting healed by someone instead of self care - it's multiple people not doing anything

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

Self Care is for degenerates who can't play injured

Inner Strength is for people who know what they are doing, you take out a totem and get a fast heal - cuts down on NOED and makes you look like you have braincells

• Parallax
    Parallax Member Posts: 273
    edited April 2020

With Inner Strength, I can cleanse a totem at the start of a match to prep it for later. Now, If I get enough distance on the killer in a chase, I can Q&Q into a locker and heal mid chase.

• FearedbytheGods
    FearedbytheGods Member Posts: 476

A lot of that comes under situational awareness. When and when not to heal.

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Can also pair rather well with resilience. Heal to 99. Do the gen with the extra speed boost. Than when in danger, top yourself off and back to full health when you need it.

• johnmwarner

You bring up another good point, self care doubles the time of the heal but it’s two people not doing anything for 16 seconds... compared to one person not doing anything for 32 seconds in a way that’s the same right?

Again for those catching up on the post I’m not saying SC is a great perk, but used correctly it isn’t a bad perk. Seeing someone run it doesn’t automatically make that person a bad noob

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

Inner Strength's benefit is that you stay injured for a far less amount of time. If you cleanse a totem in advance, you can only be injured for 10 - 20 seconds max if you're not in a chase. Against killers like Spirit, Oni, Pig, Ghostface or T1 Myers you really can't afford to be left vulnerable for so long. Self Care may be more consistent but Inner Strength is a lot stronger.