Do you let survivor(s) escape?

xCarrie
xCarrie Member Posts: 982

I had to ask this question from a game I just had lol. I closed the hatch while a claudette was running towards it and she just sat there staring at me. she started to walk away slowly and I felt so bad that I let her escape. i’m always like this so I usually let a survivor escape if they give me the puppy eyes. I know some see it as “unfair” but i’m a sucker for cute survivors. 🥺👉👈

Do you usually let the last survivor go or are you all about no mercy?

Comments

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

yeah, certainly.

if i am in the right mood i might even let all 4 go xD

sometimes you just feel bad for them...

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

No.

I'm in a rare mood if i do.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I care about points so unfortunately for the last survivor that's means I need to hook them to get max points. I feel bad a maybe give players second chances but not a free escape.

I had a game where David was afk to start the game. I didn't want to hook him but I wanted my bbq stack incase he dc'ed. So after he got rescued I chose to ignore him a few times and chases others as a second chance.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,722

Depend really. If they do something funny or offer their item, I'll normally let them go. Sometimes I'll let them go even if they've been playing like an ass.

It's normally all in the moment and if I'm working on a challenge or something then I don't and other times I'll pretend to let them go only to hook them.

Even I'm not sure what I'll do until I'm in the game and doing it.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

I give good players hatch. I also give hatch if someone dced.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,904

I'm not going to lie, I have a huge biased soft spot for Dweets, especially baby ones.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

Depends, I don't really have any particular rules and it mostly just comes down to if I feel like doing so.

In the specific situation where the hatch both spawns and opens nearby while I'm carrying a survivor I'm probably more likely to let them have it than any other situation, at that point it's like the game is trying to tell me they're supposed to escape or something 😄

• PBsamichShoe
    PBsamichShoe Member Posts: 314

If I suspect someone is below my rank I take it easy on them.

If someone throws in BPS or an escape cake I try to keep it in mind not to kill anyone too early in the game.

I let the last person escape if they all played a fun, decent game or if they seemed like rank 20s.

I give rank 20s a lot of second chances actually.

When I get paired with red ranks it's no holds barred. I'll slug, tunnel, facecamp, mori and close the hatch and tunnel them down. I despise red rank players.

• angematias
    angematias Member Posts: 86

50% of the games I give someone the hatch, 25% I let 2 survivors live after 2 dies/dcs. 25% of the time everyone dies (or at least in my mind they should since I'm a bad killer and cant get 4k easily). However that is assuming that they aren't being mean as survivors.

If they're being mean everyone is getting hooked.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

Why?

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Do they let me kill 2 players when all gens done and all are alive?

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

Yes, most of the time.

I like to see if I can get high BP/Pip by NOT killing people, just focusing the other core objectives: finding/hitting survivors, chases, gen/palette destruction, hooking. I don't camp/tunnel, but I don't play easy. If I get a bad team and they are all death hook long before they're close to escape, I just focus the other objectives to max. If I max em out, I just meme with em. I usually safety pip when everyone escapes.

However, most of the time someone will either suicide, not knowing they would have had a great match, or they die because their teammates don't save them...in which case I will pip.

If I get a toxic person/team, I will just death hook. Or if I am trying to do my daily and they are making it super difficult, I'll just kill them. In those cases I usually double pip, so letting people go and safety pipping balances out in the end and I don't usually lose any rank. But typically I go into every match with no focus on killing anyone.

I choose to play like this because I am a solo survivor main and fully understand how exhausting, frustrating, and unfun it is to have back to back to back sweaty, merciless killers who give a ######### all about any objective besides killing you as quickly and cheaply as possible. I like to consider it being the change I want to see in the DBD world. Survivors in my matches pretty much always get 20k+ pts and I rarely get post-chat salt. 👍️

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Sometimes. Most of the time if i down the last person before i find hatch, I will walk around carrying them until i find it. As long as they don't struggle.

Or if i close hatch first and down them ill bring them to the exit and let them struggle off and escape.

It's enough for me that they know that I could have killed them. Power trip and crap. (Might need some psyche evaluation lol)

Had a game as huntress where i had 3 hooks before first gen popped on badham 1. 2 kills and 1 gen done. Downed a Steve but let him struggle off and do a gen while i searched for a jane. Couldn't find her so i got back to Steve as he finished the gen. Ran around with him letting him stun me. Jane finally did a gen. Found her and chased her letting her use whatever pallets were left. Last gen i sat back and just threw hatchets at them. They healed and got gen done. Hit steve with hatchet ran after Jane. Steve keyed out of the hatch as i killed Jane. Which was fine. I realized while i was chasing her how annoying her grunts of pain are. Sad part is there were 3 red ranks in that match. I was 13 at the time.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

If they played great or their team played horrible, they get an escape.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2020

If they do something cute or meme around with me then I’ll let the last one open the gate and escape.

I don’t ever really care if the last one escapes unless they were a useless teammate.

• MrMisanthropy66
    MrMisanthropy66 Member Posts: 167

Me too I set a lot of Dweets free. Maybe because I'm a Dweet main on survivor side. I will let meme teams go if I'm in a good mood too.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I usually give hatch unless I have a daily or Archive mission.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Actually let me rephrase that. I'll usually make sure the last Survivor knows I have beaten them and decided to take pity on them... you know, to establish dominance lol.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826

It's pretty rare for me. They have to have REALLY earned it by being the bane of my existence or been helpful like this one girl who helped me practice my hatchets and I let her crawl out.

• StutteringSpartan
    StutteringSpartan Member Posts: 254

If I’m playing GF I’ll slug the last survivor, close the hatch, let them struggle free, then stalk them repeatedly until EGC is almost over then hook them for extra points 😂

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    edited April 2020

If they're a baby Survivor or a good Survivor that lost because of babies I'm partial to letting them go. I'm also usually merciful to Neas and any Survivors that offer items.

It depends on my mood though.

That said if someone brought BPS though, I'll always let at least one live.

The only time I kill everyone with a BPS in play is if I didn't see the BPS (oops) or they were a SWF and they didn't play nice. If I manage to get a 4k against a tryhard SWF they just deserve to all die at that point.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

Usually, never.

However, I make exceptions.

1. I recognize their name and had a positive experience with them in the past.

2. I destroyed their pathetic team before a single gen could be completed.

3. Sometimes, if the last alive surv stops and accepts their fate, Ill surprise them, and let them escape.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Nope.

Even if they 5 genned and got dominated, getting BP is more important to me.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Depends on the survivors.

Once let an ENTIRE TEAM go, because they just seemed so nice. And they were struggling a little. I had hooked everyone twice. They had one gen done. I went to extend the match by dropping this Nea. She and her friends were SO happy, they booped the snoot, spun around in circles and the obsession even stayed behind to sacrifice herself. Was a really nice game and one that sticks in my memory.

Had another game where they gen rushed me, denied me my first hook through Sabo. But I made a comeback, downed player after player. Things really turned around. When it was down to two survivors, I hooked one in the basement (first hook). The other survivor went for the save, I went down to the basement (I heard the unhook), and hit the guy who Sabo'ed (the guy who got unhooked). No BT, so he went down. I chased the other survivor, downed her. It was her third hook. I went back for the other survivor. The hatch was nearby. So I picked him up, dropped him in front of it and let him go. he played well, and I felt a bit bad about slugging him.

I don't always let survivors go. But if they're nice, I'm much more likely to. Or if they're pretty good. Or if their team screws them over. If there's a DC, I'll always let at least one person go.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Depends on the game. Also, 1 DC generally means one escape for me.

If I've absolutely dominated and crushed the survivors, extending out the game BECAUSE I CAN and do so freely, then I might let the last one go. Ultimately it's up to them. They play hard, then I play hard and there is zero mercy.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

I do if I max deviousness points.

I’m point focused like many in this thread and getting one last hook for instance gives 2500 deviousness and 500 sacrifice. I’ll let the last guy have hatch or escape if I’m only getting 300-500 sacrifice points.

What bothers me is if I don’t and I get complaining in the lobby for not just letting them go. It’s so so so rare that a survivor gives themselves up to the killer when it was clearly a win for the survivors. It’s hypocritical to me.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I used to 2 hook each and let all escape

Until I faced 3 Headon SWF, then people said I have to treat every game as I vs SWF

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

After I get a slew of awful Survivor games where killers are being bullies to a bunch or randos or where my teammates are being overly aggressive, I hop on Killer to relax and just chase people around. Once I two hook each of them I then just chase them without hitting them. Many times the survivors are shocked and then start twerking for me, I motion for them to finish gens and let them go.

Unless you blind me with a flashlight, then I don't care how cute or perky your little tush is, I will kill you. Also, if throughout the match you let someone get to second stage even though I'm on the other side of the map, you die.

If I have an inkling that you're a swf, I play seriously. I may be bad, but I know how to make swf tweens nerd rage so it's all good.

• DaGreenBolt
    DaGreenBolt Member Posts: 453

Nope, I don't let them go unless a survivor gets sandbagged or everyone except the last survivor DCs right at the beginning of the match.

Last time I let a survivor go after decimating their team with 5 gens left, they decided to complain how I played the match, called me a tunneler and camper (despite juggling between each survivor), and that I was a noob for playing Spirit (Post-Nerf).

Yep, not making the same mistake again, unless the conditions above are fulfilled, I won't let any survivor survive.

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597
  • Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Yeah if someone dcs early on, i normally give the last person the hatch. I been there as a survivor and it really sucks, when you are down a person right from the start. Since 3 people, normally leads to the game going well for the killer. That and well the others were good sports for sticking in there, even with having to deal with a dc. Since normally they are low on morale rather than going super saiyan. Now if it a normal game, long as i get my bbq stacks, i'm happy and will gladly give the last person the hatch. If i'm missing a stack and they are the last person left. Well on the hook they go. For hey Bill needs more med kits and ghostface needs to stack up on them recovery add ons.

I have seen way more killers, give the last person the hatch. Than i have seen survivors die to give the killer a pity kill for lack of a better term. Heck even seen a few killers, who felt so sorry for someone dcing or killing themselves on first hook. They will let the last two survivors get a few points. By dropping pallets on them and stuff. To make it up to them for the awful game. Of course, i always make sure to say thanks, to the killer should they choose to show mercy to me. For they didn't have to but they did anyway.

That and have come across a few games, where me and another person, felt kind of bad for the killer. Due to getting so few points. We were totally unaware they only got 10k points, while everyone else was much higher. Even saying, yeah we wish he could of gotten more points. Heck, even had games where the survivors were sticking up for the newbie killers, by calling out the bad action of their fellow survivors.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650

I let them all leave more often than not. I also always get ruthless or merciless killer, which makes me smile. Just work those objectives and everyone wins.

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13 Member Posts: 182
    edited April 2020

As long as they're not being a tryhard, I'll usually let the last person go or carry them to hatch if the game lasts a decent amount. I'll try to extend the game if someone brings a cake, etc.

• Strancol
    Strancol Member Posts: 158

No

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Depends on my mood but usually I don't care too much about killing them all if I notice they don't even try to "fight back". If people fool around then so will I most of the time.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    edited April 2020

I've been playing a lot of pig lately, so I'll give hatch to the first person who boops.

I'll also give hatch to someone if I feel that they played well and maybe should have won, but lost because of bad teammates, or if they did something funny, or particularly entertaining.

I'll give second chances to people if for some reason they got robbed of getting at least 3 hooks and 3 chases (e.g. hit struggle on first hook, got downed instantly without getting a proper chase, etc.).

• Iudex_Nemesis
    Iudex_Nemesis Member Posts: 326

Thanks to matchmaking I rarely go against potato teams so I don't go easy on them. I do make some exceptions though.

In one match I killed three survivors and the last one couldn't find the hatch so I closed it. The exit games were close enough that all I had to do was stand on a hill and spin around until i spotted the last survivor. They played decent and didn't do anything to annoy me so I let them go.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

It depends on the survivors really. A bunch of solos? They can escape, i just want my hooks. :)

A tryhard toxic 4man swf? No mercy, they win enough matches!

• caz_
    caz_ Member Posts: 218

actually a lot. when they act very cute i cant .. i just cannt god damt!!!!

Baby dweets, megs they brainwashing me all the time!!!

i think thats why im more a survivor player because i do not fit in the killer role they always get me with something cute!

but i think sometimes doing this is nice we dont need to tryhard every single match and bring some positivity

• echo
    echo Member Posts: 15

I only keep my fellow Quentin mains alive they probably also run on coffee and have like 4 hours of sleep every night. But I guess that is the average DbD player. Anyway I only spare Quentins unless it’s Adam that happens to throw a pebble at me when in a chase or o see the Adam

• echo
    echo Member Posts: 15

That’s so true it’s sad I even go no mercy on four man SWF’s even if there’s a Quentin

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

Steve.

• Yrakaz4
    Yrakaz4 Member Posts: 75

I let the last one go as long as they were a good teammate and weren't toxic to me.

If they just hid all game, werent altruisitic, or gave me one teabag, they ended their own life.

I do this out of respect to being a good survivor and submitting to my power. I ususally bring them to hatch or exit gate if they let me

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Only if they get cucked by their team.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

For me it depends on the circimstances. If they manage to get the gate open and they're all pretty much alive, I'll down someone and carry them to the gate. I know a loss when I see it. However, if theres 1 survivor who's clearly lacking in any contribution, EG: The stealth corner survivor, then they're going to die hands down. As for the hatch, usually I let the final survivor have it as a act of kindness. I'm a merciful killer sometimes.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Sometimes

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I will if we feel you were fair all game and didn't get many hooks.

My question is when I stand there and point at the hook to give my life to the killer, why do some stand there after and repeatedly hit me?

I gave you the hook.

• GrannyonAcid
    GrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

I used to never really give away the hatch. But I also never used to play for a 4k. I don't leave one on the ground and go for the last guy or anything. I just hook and move on. If he gets the hatch he gets it.

Lately I give the hatch to the last person. Games become way too hardcore over the years. Now I find myself being the friendly killer for a change. The game used to be full of them. Now that it's rare it seems like the nice thing to do.