The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Camping

Camping is a legitimate strategy but it can also ruin the game for 4 out of 5 people which is the majority of a match plus it's just boring as a killer. If you're being camped with 5 gens left its frustrating, even if you aren't camped and do gens it's boring playing generator simulator not to mention the lack of benevolent and bold points. Previously the devs had tried slowing or stopping the sacrifice bar if the killer was too close to the hook but was abused by survivors by looping the killer near the hooked person. I believe the devs were headed in the right direction but needed some adjustments. The bar should continue to decrease if the killer is in a chase or if gens are completed.

An alternative idea I came up with might work with some tweaks. When a generator is competed it stops all progression on generators and sacrifices for a set amount of time, this slows down the game and gives more incentives for killers to leave the hook and find someone else.

Both could be used together to counter early camping which is the main issue or and slowing down the game in general.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited September 2018

Camping already puts all the power in the Survivors' hands. It doesn't need a nerf or a "fix" because it's already the second worst possible strategy a Killer can do, next to standing still while facing a corner. If losing (which is what it is) ruins the game for you, then you should stick to sandbox games instead of PvP. You were outplayed. It happens.

• Zaije
    Zaije Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2018
    Orion said:

Camping already puts all the power in the Survivors' hands. It doesn't need a nerf or a "fix" because it's already the second worst possible strategy a Killer can do, next to standing still while facing a corner. If losing (which is what it is) ruins the game for you, then you should stick to sandbox games instead of PvP. You were outplayed. It happens.

I can just do gens and escape but doing nothing gens is boring, I don't play this game to just play a generator simulator

• Zaije
    edited September 2018
    Can't figure out how to add a quote and a reply RIP
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Camping is an enjoyable activity. It’s a great way to connect with the outdoors, or slaughter your enemies where no one will hear them scream. 
  • Chroma
    Chroma Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2018

camping is a fine mechanic face camping will get you like 1 kill and than patrol camping may, just maybe get you 2 kills.

• Zaije
    Chroma said:

camping is a fine mechanic face camping will get you like 1 kill and than patrol camping may, just maybe get you 2 kills.

How is camping a fine mechanic when it ruins the game for 4 people? It's like you didn't read the post and just copied and pasted the usual response about camping. Even if I live it's a boring game that makes me want to go play Civ. I didn't buy this game to do 2-3 gens and escape without ever coming in contact with the killer. No one should be camped with 5 gens left but it happens.and it's widely accepted as yea it sucks but you can punish the killer well he's punishing my gameplay by forcing me to play a repair simulator for the entire match. Why is everyone so against punishing campers in an alternative way, are the ones defending it the ones who do it? I never camp unless the survivors hook dive me before I can leave or the gens are done. 
  • BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

I think camping is pretty annoying to be honest. I'm playing with my brother who is new to the game, and his first two matches as soon as he is found he of course gets taken down, because he isn't that great at chases it usually happens fairly quick. And the killer is just staring him down looking him right in the face. What can I say other than Welcome to Dead By Daylight. Some killers are #########. It's also just a salty experience in general. And don't give me this you got outplayed crap. If a killer finds a survivor and the killer is even half way competent, eventually they will catch them unless by some miracle they lost them somehow during the chase. Really just is how long will this chase last before they go down most of the time.

The only time I've seen camping a hook as a legit strategy, is like Leatherface with a insidious sitting just outside of sight with zero terror radius ready to chain saw if someone goes for the save.

I don't really mind patrolling killers, the one that investigate around them, it's really just the facecampers. Even with borrowed time you can't actually go in for a save because you'll just get grabbed off the hook. And the only solution to that is, sorry buddy, just go ahead and die while we get out.

Maybe their should be a perk for the survivors that puts up a 15 meter barrier around the survivor, making it possible for a save. But still ridiculously easy for the killer to catch up and still tunnel?

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Zaije said:
    Camping is a legitimate strategy but it can also ruin the game for 4 out of 5 people which is the majority of a match plus it's just boring as a killer. If you're being camped with 5 gens left its frustrating, even if you aren't camped and do gens it's boring playing generator simulator not to mention the lack of benevolent and bold points. Previously the devs had tried slowing or stopping the sacrifice bar if the killer was too close to the hook but was abused by survivors by looping the killer near the hooked person. I believe the devs were headed in the right direction but needed some adjustments. The bar should continue to decrease if the killer is in a chase or if gens are completed.

An alternative idea I came up with might work with some tweaks. When a generator is competed it stops all progression on generators and sacrifices for a set amount of time, this slows down the game and gives more incentives for killers to leave the hook and find someone else.

Both could be used together to counter early camping which is the main issue or and slowing down the game in general.

Looping is a legitimate strategy but it can also ruin the game for 1 out of 5 people (guess the killer is the minority, so who cares) plus its just boring for the other 4 survivors runing in circles and wasting time.
    If you are being looped with 5 gens left its really frustrating because you know the gentime is ticking in the background.

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    Zaije said:
    Chroma said:

How is camping a fine mechanic when it ruins the game for 4 people? It's like you didn't read the post and just copied and pasted the usual response about camping. Even if I live it's a boring game that makes me want to go play Civ. I didn't buy this game to do 2-3 gens and escape without ever coming in contact with the killer. No one should be camped with 5 gens left but it happens.and it's widely accepted as yea it sucks but you can punish the killer well he's punishing my gameplay by forcing me to play a repair simulator for the entire match. Why is everyone so against punishing campers in an alternative way, are the ones defending it the ones who do it? I never camp unless the survivors hook dive me before I can leave or the gens are done. 
    Your fun isn't the killer's responsibility. And punishing campers has been tried and failed because of survivors abusing it. They came out with bbq and chili to incentivize not camping, but survivors complain about that. So instead why don't we just make skill checks and gen repair more complex instead of holding a button. Gives you something to simulate your mind instead of being bored. 
  • Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

you play together on comms.
    and complain killer outplays you

I sense some boosted SWF

__

camping is fine.
    You want to punish that? You know what people call thugs who punish things they don't like? bullies. Thugs. I can continue.
    You're reversing psychology and not even thinking about rewarding killer for not being near hook. If the reward is "not getting punished" then you're worse than thug. Thugs at least honest they're thugs.

You know, Pop Goes the Weasel in my opinion is the best perk in game. It rewards killer for going away from hook. Even if killer comes back, you had your chance. If that mechanic was build-in than people would camp much less simply because they had things to do.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

Well, OP, because you don't know what the other survivors in a given trial want, or even within the community at large, you can't speak on their behalf to agree with you to leverage your own argument. The rest of your points are good though; it's clear that there are some issues that hinder the fun of the game. I don't personally camp unless I've been body blocked, for me if a survivor body blocks, then they're gonna get face camped. As a rank 3 killer I'm guessing this surprises a lot of people, because oh boy, do the angry DM's flow afterwards.

• Zaije
    apropos said:

Well, OP, because you don't know what the other survivors in a given trial want, or even within the community at large, you can't speak on their behalf to agree with you to leverage your own argument. The rest of your points are good though; it's clear that there are some issues that hinder the fun of the game. I don't personally camp unless I've been body blocked, for me if a survivor body blocks, then they're gonna get face camped. As a rank 3 killer I'm guessing this surprises a lot of people, because oh boy, do the angry DM's flow afterwards.

I'm pretty sure everyone wants to play a game they purchased, I don't think anyone wants to be camped at the beginning of a match, which is why there are constant rants about it. 
  • Zaije
    Sarief said:

I sense some boosted SWF

__

camping is fine.
    You want to punish that? You know what people call thugs who punish things they don't like? bullies. Thugs. I can continue.
    You're reversing psychology and not even thinking about rewarding killer for not being near hook. If the reward is "not getting punished" then you're worse than thug. Thugs at least honest they're thugs.

You know, Pop Goes the Weasel in my opinion is the best perk in game. It rewards killer for going away from hook. Even if killer comes back, you had your chance. If that mechanic was build-in than people would camp much less simply because they had things to do.

Who mentioned SWF or comms? I also play both survivor and killer and it's crazy how much killers support camping. BBQ rewards killers for not camping but still seen them camp with the perk so adding more rewards may not be the answer. 
  • azazer
    edited September 2018
    Zaije said:
    apropos said:

I'm pretty sure everyone wants to play a game they purchased, I don't think anyone wants to be camped at the beginning of a match, which is why there are constant rants about it. 
    If you don't want to get camped at the beginning of a match I suggest you don't get caught first. That isn't a camping problem that is a git gud problem. Learn to stealth harder to quit getting caught right off the bat
  • Master

@Zaije said:
    Sarief said:

I sense some boosted SWF

__

camping is fine.

Who mentioned SWF or comms? I also play both survivor and killer and it's crazy how much killers support camping. BBQ rewards killers for not camping but still seen them camp with the perk so adding more rewards may not be the answer. 

If survivors wouldnt play so much SWF, then killers would camp a lot less.
    Fact is that SWF have an insane advantage via voice comms and can knock the gens very fast due to that and play more time efficient. The killer can try to counter this by camping and using the over-altruism of SWF because they wanna save their mates.

Its always funny, but I have 4 BBQ stacks in almost every game and I still get blamed for tunnel/camp and all that stuff :wink:

The only perks that truely reward walking away from teh hook are devour hope and make your choice. Make your choice is only good on a few killers, but it has the problem that you never know whether you are too close or not and the survivors sees the exposed notifaction.
    Devour hope is a hex which makes it bad for obviosu reasons.

Buff one of these perks and you will see immediately results in the "camping stats"

• jmaximo93
    jmaximo93 Member Posts: 122
    Master said:

@Zaije said: 
    Sarief said:

I sense some boosted SWF

__

camping is fine.

Fact is that SWF have an insane advantage via voice comms and can knock the gens very fast due to that and play more time efficient. The killer can try to counter this by camping and using the over-altruism of SWF because they wanna save their mates.

Its always funny, but I have 4 BBQ stacks in almost every game and I still get blamed for tunnel/camp and all that stuff :wink:

The only perks that truely reward walking away from teh hook are devour hope and make your choice. Make your choice is only good on a few killers, but it has the problem that you never know whether you are too close or not and the survivors sees the exposed notifaction.

Buff one of these perks and you will see immediately results in the "camping stats"

It's not that survivors want to be altruistic, it's the fact that you need to to level up. When a killer face camps you're essentially losing 2 of the 4 categories you need to level or rank up in the game. I understand that there need to be changes made so that killers are more incentivised but saying "git gud" or "tough" is not a solution. In the case of camping, no one really wins because neither the killer nor the survivor will get points. I play killer and I understand how toxic survivors can be and I also play survivor where you see the killer hitting the hooked person to be a jerk. I think this is a problem on both ends.
  • Master

@jmaximo93 said:
    Master said:

@Zaije said: 

Sarief said:

I sense some boosted SWF

__

camping is fine.

It's not that survivors want to be altruistic, it's the fact that you need to to level up. When a killer face camps you're essentially losing 2 of the 4 categories you need to level or rank up in the game. I understand that there need to be changes made so that killers are more incentivised but saying "git gud" or "tough" is not a solution. In the case of camping, no one really wins because neither the killer nor the survivor will get points. I play killer and I understand how toxic survivors can be and I also play survivor where you see the killer hitting the hooked person to be a jerk. I think this is a problem on both ends.

Explain the fact that I pip as survivor without being chased by the killer once and without performing ANY altruistic action.

• jmaximo93

Explain the fact that I pip as survivor without being chased by the killer once and without performing ANY altruistic action.

You must be better than me then. I've had many matches where the killer camps and I'll do 3 gens solo, break totems, and open the gate and still not pip. 
  • MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614

Camping isn't a problem. Survivors behavior to it is - both those survivors who KNOW the killer is camping and try to save them anyway and the survivor who goes "Woop- camper, I'll just DC Now' because you don't give the other 3 survivors the time to do gens, so you don't punish the killer for camping.

• MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614

You must be better than me then. I've had many matches where the killer camps and I'll do 3 gens solo, break totems, and open the gate and still not pip. 

This only happens if you have a teammate who will stay on the hook and struggle, and not just DC. You get a considerable amount of points for just hammering that struggle button. Worth it.

• Master

@jmaximo93 said:

3 gens solo = iridescent lightbringer
    Escape never being downed = iridescent survival

Now it depends. If you didnt farm each other you will get bronze emblem in altruism, never having performed altruistic action since you already start with bronze.

Now assuming farming already happened, you need to stay a short amount of time in the terror radius or wave at the camping killer and walk back to the gen ("escaping the chase") to get a bronze evader emblem

It really isnt that hard, is it?

• jmaximo93
    edited September 2018
    3 gens solo = iridescent lightbringer

Escape never being downed = iridescent survival

Now it depends. If you didnt farm each other you will get bronze emblem in altruism, never having performed altruistic action since you already start with bronze.

Now assuming farming already happened, you need to stay a short amount of time in the terror radius or wave at the camping killer and walk back to the gen ("escaping the chase") to get a bronze evader emblem

It really isnt that hard, is it?

I'll see if I get another face camping killer soon and try this out. If it works, thank you! Still kind of stupid having to walk to the killer as a survivor but if they're face camping shouldn't be a problem. 
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

oooooor (crazy idea ahead) we could actually REWARD killers for not camping?

• azazer
    Mister_xD said:

You mean like BBQ and chili? Or maybe they can make devour hope non totem. Make DH base game mechanic and watch camping vanish into the gnashing teeth of salty survivors. It sounds perfect actually. 
    Solo survivors will one day be on par with swf, now DH is core to balance it and with it camping becomes a less viable tactic
  • Zaije
    azazer said:
    Mister_xD said:

You mean like BBQ and chili? Or maybe they can make devour hope non totem. Make DH base game mechanic and watch camping vanish into the gnashing teeth of salty survivors. It sounds perfect actually. 
    Solo survivors will one day be on par with swf, now DH is core to balance it and with it camping becomes a less viable tactic
    I've seen killers camp with 5 gens left and BBQ as a perk, probably need it for extra BP since they get so little. Some killers will camp regardless of the reward not to. Campers almost are guaranteed 2 kills a game due to hook time and gen time, I'd like to reduce that to 1 when a killer camps with 5 gens left without punishing other killers. 
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Zaije said:
    Chroma said:

It doesn't. Not of those people play right. If the survivors are smart, they will take advantage of the lack of killer presence to rush the gens and punish the camp.
  • azazer
    Zaije said:
    azazer said:
    Mister_xD said:

I've seen killers camp with 5 gens left and BBQ as a perk, probably need it for extra BP since they get so little. Some killers will camp regardless of the reward not to. Campers almost are guaranteed 2 kills a game due to hook time and gen time, I'd like to reduce that to 1 when a killer camps with 5 gens left without punishing other killers. 
    That is the killer's prerogative. 
    But I find it funny you mentioned the 2 kills. The ideal set forth by the devs is they want games with 2 kills and 2 escapes. 
    So if devs say camping is legit, and camping leads to their desired outcome, then camping is working as intended.
  • Billou
    Billou Member Posts: 28

@TheHourMan said:
    It doesn't. Not of those people play right. If the survivors are smart, they will take advantage of the lack of killer presence to rush the gens and punish the camp.

Punish? Some killers don't give a damn, they are enjoying themselves. Some may said "You didn't save your friends, what a terrible teammate" riiight. But Azazer made a good statement, if the dev' want two wins and two kills, it's working. They don't do anything for camp, worse they said it's legit. So that's a shame but we can't complain about that and this community will always remain "salty" on both side. For the toxic players trolling around and for the killers who facecamp. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• azazer
    Billou said:

@TheHourMan said:

Punish? Some killers don't give a damn, they are enjoying themselves. Some may said "You didn't save your friends, what a terrible teammate" riiight. But Azazer made a good statement, if the dev' want two wins and two kills, it's working. They don't do anything for camp, worse they said it's legit. So that's a shame but we can't complain about that and this community will always remain "salty" on both side. For the toxic players trolling around and for the killers who facecamp. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

FYI, face camping no longer exists. That term was for when a killer could block the unhook prompt by getting right in the hooked survivor's face making it impossible to be rescued. It was completely eliminated with the swivel hook update
  • xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    WHERE IS DOCTOR GIT GUD??? 
  • Billou

Azazer > Haha so naive. Sorry friend, i don't know what rank you are, but low rank (18) to more average rank (6) there is facecamp. The facecamp you said, with the breath on your face, and you can't get rescued. Facecamp exist.

• Orion

@Billou said:
    Azazer > Haha so naive. Sorry friend, i don't know what rank you are, but low rank (18) to more average rank (6) there is facecamp. The facecamp you said, with the breath on your face, and you can't get rescued. Facecamp exist.

Face camping does not exist. Face camping was blocking the "unhook" prompt, so that the interaction was mechanically impossible. What you get right now is simply a Killer who's close enough to grab you when you attempt the unhook.

• Billou

Sometimes it's that, you can't even have access to the survivor because he's litterally blocking the way. But that's more rare, the majority of the time that's more: I'm waiting you unhook the survivor and I'm just going to put him/her down the instant and hook him/her again. Or the killer just grab you when you attempt the unhook, like you said. But yeah, that's more like a one week thing that you can't even access the hook but this still exist.

• Orion

@Billou said:
    Sometimes it's that, you can't even have access to the survivor because he's litterally blocking the way. But that's more rare, the majority of the time that's more: I'm waiting you unhook the survivor and I'm just going to put him/her down the instant and hook him/her again. Or the killer just grab you when you attempt the unhook, like you said. But yeah, that's more like a one week thing that you can't even access the hook but this still exist.

It's possible to block your path by constantly moving in front of you. It's not possible to stand still and prevent the "unhook" interaction from being available to you. The former is called "body blocking", and the latter is called "face camping".

• Billou

Wha? But he was standing still? A bug? Well that just happened once, you're right the other time the killer was just bodyblocking but yeah one time, even if I was coming for the right and he was in front of the survivor, I just couldn't unhook.

• Orion

@Billou said:
    Wha? But he was standing still? A bug? Well that just happened once, you're right the other time the killer was just bodyblocking but yeah one time, even if I was coming for the right and he was in front of the survivor, I just couldn't unhook.

Maybe you couldn't find the right angle to attempt the unhook, but since the swivel hooks update, it should no longer be possible to face camp.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    No..... what needs to happen is for the devs to implement more objectives for survivors to do.. at that point there will be no reason to camp... some killers will always camp though just because they intend on "ruining" some ones game..... anything can be tweaked to the sacrafice bar but ain't nothin stopping the camp daddy LF from getting that one kill... so my suggestion is for the devs to create and implement some creative and fun objectives that the survivors must complete to make the game fresh for the survivor side and it slows the game so the killer has the opportunity to get their game going as well...