The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Please do something about survivors suicide on hook

Comments

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Just saying if I get hooked and see 3 urban players then I'm getting out of that game lol

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Survivors: "Killers need to not come after me because they need to be decent people and think about my personal enjoyment!"

Also Survivors: "I got hooked?! ######### the rest of my team, I'm out."

• Kate_cx
    Kate_cx Member Posts: 181

No.

Encouraging other people to DC isn't the correct way to go.

• Lanis_
    Lanis_ Member Posts: 183

Everyone play a game for having fun and in Dbd there are 5 players every match; Is really easy find that one of this 5 player and wants to go to the next match (ebony mori, spirit, irihead huntress, Forever freddy, highskilled survivor in early chase vs lowskilled killer make the gens pop, flashlight save, bodyblocking killer that wants tunneling, head on swf, save the hooked survivor from facecamping ecc..)

• raiden007
    raiden007 Member Posts: 13

So I should penalized for someone else being a douche more than I already do by giving up survival points?

This suggestion is terrible.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

If you compare it to DotA or league which both ban you for leaving public unranked games but not private ones its the same thing DbD just doesn't have an unranked mode, but it does have private matches that you can come and go as you please in.

• Reinami

It is the correct way to go. if they are that mad they can DC and take the penalty that comes along with it. Even 2 DCs put you on a timeout for what 20-30 minutes right now?

• Reinami

You are the problem. Just because your team is bad doesn't give you the right to leave them. Name any other teambased game that allows this. You can't do it because none of them do.

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720

"NOPE'ING" from a match is common in ALL online video games. it is just part of the Online Culture. Cause = Effect.

I don't remember this game having drastic issues of abandonment before 2019 started. Then the influx just happened around "certain patches". Where the problems spiraled out of control.

Game companies that bust players for every facet of minor-negative infractions eventually go Under or less people come to play the game daily. If your team mate leaves the match. They are a bad person. If your team mate dies on the hook. There is zero difference. They are eliminated from the match either way.

The effect should be looked at less, and the Cause should be looked at MORE. With the shift of online gaming culture and player attitude towards a game. Generally this means that the shift of respect has gone away from the game or the players around them. Hence why quality of matches are going DOWN. Instead of UP.

-----

If I was to look at this from a Social aspect. VS what a person thinks they see. I would see this as an Issue where something has changed in the game and has directly caused players to behave this way MORE, now in the past year. Than it has before. 2018 and 2017 this game was at its prime. I LOVED this game to its fullest and really had an amazing time.

2019 through into 2020. I dont like this game. But would LOVE to play what this game was in 2018 and 2017 again. Heck. i'd even BUY into being able to play that way again. I had ALOT OF fun and would be MORE than happy to spend mindless hours again in my life. PLAYING all day, again.

AS for the "why" I dont. I've said it before. But the answer itself will become VERY apparent just by discovery in itself.

"Why is your team mate taking the easy way out from the hook? and that shall be your answer.

• Reinami

I'm not arguing that it's not a common problem in other games. It is, that is why most other games punish and ban you for doing it.

• CashelP14

Ok lets find other examples of your teammates not helping you in dbd.

1. Opening exit door when it's not safe to do so.
    2. Camping exit door while someone is getting chased or on the hook.
    3. Dropping a pallet when the killer is chasing someone else.
    4. DC for any reason.
    5. Self-caring instead of helping your team while killer has exposed status effect.
    6. Doing nothing while someone is getting chased.

Team based games where you don't always help your team and don't get banned.

1. Friday the 13th (escaping ahile your team isn't safe)
    2. Any battle game (not following your team which can hurt them in fights)
    3. Leaving in non competitive modes

If I kill myself on the hook it's for a good reason. Also if I see 3 urban users in 1 game unless they are just running a meme build we probably aren't escaping that game lol

• Reinami
    edited May 2020

The problem is, most of those things you listed are just people playing badly. You don't punish people for playing badly. I can make a similar list for CS:GO

1. Teammate took the bomb to an unsafe area and died leaving the bomb exposed
    2. Teammate shoots/team kills you
    3. Running and giving away your team's position to the enemy
    4. Spending your money on save rounds or saving money on buy rounds.
    5. Body blocking a teammate an preventing them from getting out of line of fire.
    6. Flashing your own team
    7. Putting a smoke in a spot that benefits the enemy

All of these things are bad plays but aren't bannable because being bad at a game isn't bannable. but DCing, teamkilling, or suiciding is because it fundamentally ruins the game for everyone else in a way that is not just "playing badly". It's intentional. You are intentionally ruining the game for other people. CS:GO has just as many ways a teammate can screw you over that DbD does, but they still ban you for suiciding or feeding or dcing form a game.

If a teammate does those above things, it doesn't give you the right to ruin the game for everyone else. I'd also argue for CS:GO it's worse because games last much longer than in DbD. At least in DbD if a teammate screws you over games generally end in less than 10 minutes. Matches in CS:GO can last 45 minutes or longer. And even still they ban you for it.

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720
    edited May 2020

You canโ€™t force somebody to stay in a game first of all. DC penalties are already unnecessary because it only benefits the killer simply because hook suicides still ruin it for the survivor side. No reason to stick around and break your controller struggling on the hook anyways. Or just get poorly hook rescued and Moriโ€™d. From my experience, this game is very rarely fun for survivors. If they make it more interesting for survivors I think youโ€™d see different results. Need better ways to keep the killer off your back to prevent tunneling and get rid of those Moriโ€™s. Keys can go too I donโ€™t even care lol itโ€™s not like you see your teammates bring them in that often because I think everyone typically prefers medkits or maps. Killers always get to use their Moriโ€™s, but do survivors always get to use their keys? No. In fact, if I use a key at all itโ€™s because I have a gold token attached to it with prayer beads ๐Ÿ˜‚ the hatch escape with a key is kind of like a bonus, not really the main intent of bringing a key in. But anything that ends the game quick needs to disappear from this game entirely.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,131

Know how many times I've died because my thumb slipped because I have to mash the button on my controller for the stupid struggle mechanic? A lot. Very much a lot. How's the game going to differentiate between a suicide and that? It can't.

It's like the struggle mechanic's whole purpose is to accidentally get survivors killed. Thumb hurt? Hand slick? Controller having problems? Get distracted for a millisecond? Oops, you're dead.

Yeah, you can't punish people for that.

• CashelP14

Well may I ask what would you want done then? I'm not lying when I say I've never really had a problem with it before when I play solo survivor.

I won't hook suicide unless it's for a good reason and I'd say many more are like this. I'm not afraid of any killer so no reason to do it there. Don't hate a map that much that I'd do it either. Faced ever add-on in the game a 100 times over so I don't worry about them.

Yet if I have a 3 minute chase and no gens are popped your telling me it's worth staying in the game? I'll never dc and I always make sure to give the killer their bbq stack and hook points out of respect.

Maybe the solution to stop hook suicide is to play swf?

• Reinami

I want them to ban people for doing it, probably also remove struggling so it can't even be done.

• Reinami
    edited May 2020

3 games in a row now as survivor and the first person to be downed immediately hook suicided for no reason. 3 of us on a gen in other part of the map, one gen even popped while they were doing it in 2 games. This needs to stop. And in the third game we completed 2 1/2 gens before the first down and they still did it.

• CashelP14

May I suggest I different approach then. If this is such a big problem for you then maybe you should initiate the first chase. If I'm worried about the quality of my team this is what I do.

Bring object and make sure the killer chases you before anyone else.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Pretty sure the devs said on their last stream that there wasn't an increase in hook suicides once the DC penalty went live.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

Did you just say DC penalties are killer sided? Holy crap this whole thread is nothing but a wave of entitled people complaining that they are so bad at the game they should be able to rage quit and penalize the killer for it.

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

No.

• zkelvln
    zkelvln Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2020

Survivors usually suicide because:

1) They want to lose rank

2) They are AFK

3) Something comes up and they have to leave the game

its usually #1

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

They need to remove the mash-to-struggle mechanic, and not even give the player the option to suicide in phase 2.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

I donโ€™t DC, but I get why you do it. Seeing my teammates self caring against legion who had sloppy but no Thana makes me want out ASAP

• CashelP14

If they give the killer the hook then I think it's ok. In your example I would find it hard to stay in that match also lol

• Reinami

Doesn't matter, DCing ruins the game for 4 other people. I don't care how angry you are or how terrible your teammates are. it's not right.

• CashelP14

Please never relate me to DC-ing lol

Look at the new killers cages. It doesn't have a struggle or attempt escape so they've fixed your problem for this one killer.

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 919

I'll add to the list.

Getting an MG42 team overrun in Company Of Heroes 2 and having the decrewed HMG stolen and used against my team.

Having my flamethrower fuel tank shot in Day Of Infamy and the resulting explosion wiping my team.

Firing an RPG in an enclosed space in Rising Storm 2 and having the backblast gib my entire squad. Or a napalm canister landing a bit too short because of bad trajectory and it ends up hurtling over the point, landing directly onto my team, immolating 20 teammates and getting me auto-kicked and temp-banned for teamkilling before I can even be forgiven since there was THAT many teamkills in such a short timespan. I've had it happen with the vietcong artillery too since it has stupid high inaccuracy and even a "Safe" mark can result in a stray shell landing on some teammates. I've had recon planes shot down land on peoples heads too and it counted as a teamkill.

Basically incompetence or honest mistakes shouldn't be punishable. (Although I'll admit I laughed a few times when some of these happened.)

Intentionally suiciding on the hook, failing skill checks on purpose, (Not that it can really be proven) bodyblocking other survivors to hold them hostage, ratting out people in lockers, and working with the killer to get other survivors killed falls under griefing IMHO.

I still think hook suiciding shouldn't be outright bannable off the bat but it's definitely unsportsmanlike.

IMHO intent matters. We shouldn't ban/punish Dweet because he can't hit skillchecks, but we should definitely punish Nea running Object Of Obsession, luring the killer to teammates with it trying to get everyone killed, and bodyblocking survivors until they DC so she can get that sweet, sweet purple flashlight Baby Dweet found from a chest.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

yes lets tell someone to use out of match functionality which is the definition of CHEATING.... let's berate someone for doing something that can get them back in the fight! the DEVS have stated the dc's are down 35%, first hook dying is NOT substantially increased. please move along!

• Reinami

I don't care if it isn't increased. I care that it even exists. Even before DC penalty, the idea of it is dumb. Why should you be allowed to nope out of the game for any reason as a survivor (killer can't BTW) and ruin the game for 4 other people?

• Reinami

Unsportsmanlike is literally a possible report offense.

I have started reporting people who hook suicide on purpose, not sure if anything is done about it but devs haven't made it clear yet what their stance is on it.

• Reinami

Using out of match functionality? What are you on about?

• Freki

so we are going to punish those who get hooked and have no one coming to get them for even trying to get off the hook to continue working towards getting out? and then make everyone hit their space bar? I laugh at there.. guess what! the new killer puts you in a cage and you can ONLY sit there waiting, hitting skill check after skill check if your team doesn't get you out of there! you can't free yourself, you can't do anything but WAIT hahahahhahahah enjoy your time.. I personally think it's great that people have a way out of a match through IN MATCH MEANS. I think the killer should have the same treatment and have some place he can go and give up as AFKing is against the terms and rules.

you may think it's stupid but it keeps the chance of getting off the hook, as well as the chance to mess up making it harder for your team because you screwed up. all sounds normal to me for games with skill and chance!

• Reinami
    edited May 2020

Again, its a team based game. Why should you be able to leave a game just because you're team is bad. Thats not how ANY OTHER MULTIPLAYER GAME WORKS EVER. Name even a single multiplayer team-based game that lets you leave, or feed/suicide, or otherwise hinder your team without punishing you for it. I promise you, such a game doesn't exist, and if it does it's not worth playing. If you can't handle being on a hook, or being in the cage, maybe you are playing the wrong game.

• Freki

in order to DISCONNECT from dead by daylight you must hit escape, which takes you out of the match (your character stops moving and doesn't do anything) then you click a button that says leave match. this is OUT OF MATCH FUNCTIONALITY. it was put there to END games where the EGC and other things could prevent the game from ending on it's own. the game gives you the option to 1) try to get off the hook and 2) to struggle against the entity or not. those are options presented in the match.

• Reinami
    edited May 2020

Hitting esc and disconnecting is part of the menu which part of the game i'd argue, but i see your point. But my point still stands. DotA and LoL and CS:GO ban you if you die on purpose. it's just as punishing to do so for your whole team as it is in DBD, so Why not DBD?

• Reinami

What he describes is literally a different scenario. Hes saying like, the game is nearly over, everyone's been on the hook multiple times and there are 4 gens left. I'm talking about situations where someone immediately kills themselves because they were the first downed. He even LITERALLY calls that out by saying "immediately giving up the first time you go down is one thing" Which tells me devs agree with my position. So thanks for sharing that.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    edited May 2020

This is what I'm talking about, you told @Xzan that his hook suicides weren't acceptable when they completely were by Peanit's standards.

If someone is hook farming someone else and "the odds don't look so great", that's okay because the survivor team was likely going to die since there was a farming survivor in the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

Forcing someone to play out a match they don't want to isn't enjoyable. At that point, might as well uninstall the game.

Nor is this action bannable. As much as you and others may dislike it.

It be like that.

• Reinami

So why does CS:GO not let you do that? Why does DotA not let you do that? I'd argue in those games it would be more acceptable because they can last an hour or more. DBD generally won't last much more than 10 minutes.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited May 2020

Because different game, different developers. Ask the DEVs

Not trying to argue about why this game allows and others don't. The fact that it does just needs to be accepted and moved on from.

• Benno101
    Benno101 Member Posts: 47

If I load in with a killer with a build I hate, I will kill myself on first hook as soon as I can. Be mad about it.

• Reinami