The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are so many people against Pennywise?

2»

Comments

• Lowkeysaurus
    Lowkeysaurus Member Posts: 50

It's a used concept. Maybe the old 'We have a Clown' is used, cheap and cheesy, but it's the most true. It wouldn't make any sense to have two clowns, and because of that, they'd try to use a different form- a spider form, perhaps? Which goes against everything we currently know about DBD killers. They are all bipedal, and a spider isn't.

It doesn't make sense to introduce a new clown and just take any remaining attention away from our current one and then have to buff him to regain attention. That's exactly what happened to Michael Myers with Ghostface, and Freddy Krueger with The Spirit (and by that, I meant both of them had a point where they literally could not be seen at all and had no heartbeat).

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Would you really say he is 100x more powerful than the entity though? He can be beaten just with courage as it seems.

• Jordan_131201
    Jordan_131201 Member Posts: 91

The lore of the licensed killers (with the exception of Ghost Face) is never Canon anyway. If the devs had the choice to bring pennywise into the game and they asked you, would you really turn your nose up at it?

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

I'm against any licensed stuff in general.

1 - Takes away a lot of possible cosmetics. I mean , just look at how many there are for original characters and how many for the licensed.

And then those few all cost real money and not everyone is willing to throw 10$ on one set for one character. It's way better to have an original killer/survivor and have way more cosmetics with half of them being available for shards.

2- takes away from having new lore and tomes since licensed ones will probably not get any tomes.

And seriously, bhvr can make an original killer and give them a power that could be the same that pennywise has. And that's true for EVERY licensed killer. We didn't need any licensed killer to have their power in the game. Each licensed killer could have an original replica with it's own lore and have a power of one of the licensed killers.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited May 2020

he wouldn't be able to beat the entity simply because there isn't a way for him to make the entity fear him, what concept could he disguise himself as to scare the entity when the thing could just trap him in itself and torture him much less what could he actually do to the entity. As seen in the movies when he isn't being feared he is weak, best he can do is turn himself into a monster to hurt whoever opposes him but that wont work on the entity.

The entity feeds off other emotions too, hope is just the best of them. also he doesn't have a universe inside him, that doesn't even make sense since there is only one universe so unless he travels dimensions which he doesn't that's false. Lastly compare what both are capable of and how they grow stronger, the entity clearly wins at both of these since it has a near infinite constant source of "food" and we already know what IT is capable of, it's just a cosmic horror that tries to consume while the entity is a being that can create things from nothing, corrupt people, control life and death, and break the laws of physics at a bigger level than IT while also having the ability to force submission when necessary as seen with demogorgon. That's just what we know so far, the entity can still be stronger than that.

there is also the simple reason that the entity is stronger than it because unlike IT the entity has a more complex and mysterious backstory and we don't know it's full power but from what we do know it is way more capable than IT in terms of having more and stronger abilities. IT is just a cosmic horror that consumes it's universe but it can't travel through dimensions which means the entity can be WAY older than it or simply just be a better version of it.

to clarify on the dead lights in IT, that is "a sea of destructive orange lights that drives most humans insane upon sight or ultimately kills them". IT and the lights do come from a different dimension but no where does it state that IT can travel dimensions, he is comparable to the mind Flayer from stranger things, a being that can consume or spread but is not strong enough to open gates to other dimensions yet has super natural abilities.

• DontNerf
    DontNerf Member Posts: 990

"bECaUsE wE AlrEady HaVe A CloWn"

• magicmaster2020
    magicmaster2020 Member Posts: 499

Probably not turn my nose up at it, but I'd be a little annoyed. True the lore doesn't matter, but even if they add him he's not gonna be that powerful anyway. I think the most powerful licensed killer to date is freddy. And that's kinda sad really.

• killersRtoxicTrash
    killersRtoxicTrash Member Posts: 5

im actually baffled that people care about lore in this game with so many licenses. Pennywise to me is the cream of the crop. The slashers are amazing characters, but Pennywise legit fits in a genre that is a Killer seeking prey. that's all it boils down to, and prob the only license that would make me come back and play this game. that or a complete overhaul of survivor perks.

• DontComeNeaMe
    DontComeNeaMe Member Posts: 72

It's just personal preference. I'd actually prefer something other to pennywise as I've never been a fan of IT.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

The devs already mentioned that they are interested in Pennywise, haven’t they?

so every argument against IT that’s not personal preference or something license dependent (e.g. King wouldn’t allow it lore-wise or license too expensive) is pretty much irrelevant.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

If Penny-wise is like an entity himself why does he end up not being able to just win everytime he's up against whoever he's trying to kill. Without spoiling Penny-wise was getting seriously BMd in the end of chapter one, is this the way an entity-esce being is to be?

When people talk about the entity, they fail to understand that it's just a thing which can manipulate and reach across different realms causing havoc wherever it can. It's not something which is undefeatable and unforgiving.

• AshleyWB

The entity doesn't feed on fear like Penny-wise. The entity feeds upon the sacrifice of survivors. I'm not too knowledgeable on the lore but to be sure that the entity forces everything and everyone into submission just makes the entity seem frail and dependant on the sacrifices it needs to survive at all.

• AChaoticKiller

yea you need to learn more lore cause it doesn't feed off of the sacrifices it feeds off of emotion mainly hope. hence why it discards survivors or turns them into killers when they stop trying to escape and give up on hope.

• AshleyWB
    edited May 2020

But what purpose does this have? Surely if the entity was so strong it wouldn't need to rely on draining hope from survivors.

• AChaoticKiller

thats just it feeds and grows stronger, you could say the same thing about penny wise, if he is so strong and is basically immortal why does he need to feed and why only pray on children?

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617

There is as many people opposed to any given possible killer as there is for pennywise.

• Gomolazoli
    Gomolazoli Member Posts: 336

The game already has a clown, but does it have a DANCING CLOWN? I don’t think soo.

• Izo_Quartz
    Izo_Quartz Member Posts: 250

I feel like everyone is completely overreacting to this. They say it would break the lore but i'm pretty sure licenced characters aren't canon to the lore at all, unless one of the devs stated otherwise and i just havn't noticed it.

I don't mind having pennywise as a killer, but it would bother me a little because we already have a clown killer, so it would be weird to have two clown killers.

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651
    • Pennywise
    • Pyramid head
    • CandyMan
    • Chucky
    • Alien
    • Ring girl (Sadako)
    • Grudge girl (Kayako)

I could keep listing killers all day and any single one of them would make a fine killer. But if I could see Sadako or Kayako in DBD, I would not ask for anything else from this entire world xd

• Gomolazoli

There is two chainsaw killers sharing the same add-ons.

• Izo_Quartz
    Izo_Quartz Member Posts: 250

I'm aware of that, and it does bother me just so you know. They could have at least given bubba a completely different set of addons...

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Mate I don't think you've read the book. Google "Is pennywise a god?" and google tells it first response. Pennywise is a god and is just as strong, if not stronger then the turtle, and the Demogorgon is just an animal, it really wouldn't be hard for The Entity too tame it and teach it what too do. Plus there's a theory that states that all of Steven King's books are in the same multiverse, since some books make reference or even have creatures from other books, so Pennywise could easily travel too different dimensions if the theory is true.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

Most people don't care and I'm part of that group. The only horror addition I would be excited about is The Ring.

That being said it, if Pennywise was in I would love it if he has a lunge similar to Demo but instead of jumping he speed walks/shuffles towards you.

• Gomolazoli

Spirit is pretty similar to Samara or whatever her name was. I would love to see her in the game too but what could she do? She pretty much kills you instantly with a fear overdose rather than smack you twice, somehow lift your fat David/Jane ass and put you on the hook.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    edited May 2020

Its one of the reasons I like Spirit as for her powers it could be:

• Gen teleportation, she crawls out of the gens when teleporting to them.
    • She curses a survivor and they get injured in x seconds unless they get within 4m of another survivor where the curse passes onto them, like a game of hot potato
    • A passive effect where those in her TR see jumpscares or an illusion of her doing something for example they could see her off in the distance chasing a survivor and downing them or they see an illusion of her mori'ing a survivor right next to them.
  • Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793

Remake pennywise looks goofy if he does come to the game I hope it's the original (Tim Curry) not the remake version like how they did to my boy Freddy instead of giving us Robert England they gave us the ugliest Freddy.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited May 2020

I disagree. Tim Curry is an amazing actor, but Bill Skarsgård looked a lot better as Pennywise.

EDIT: Also, the original was horrible.

• Gomolazoli

Same. Original IT looks like an average clown rather than a clown-ish thing.

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885

I agree, the fact that he is a clown, and there is already a clown, doesn't really matter. They are two completely different characters, regardless of outward appearances. I really know nothing about what his powers could be, but as long as he is interesting and different to play, that is all that matters.

• RavCav_
    RavCav_ Member Posts: 59

if they made the clown that is already in the game dance, that would be even more hilarious than Pennywise dancing. He would probably lose his breath and pass out though.

• RavCav_
    RavCav_ Member Posts: 59

They slow down movement speed I think and make you view the game as if you are high. That's something... right?...

• Gomolazoli

It’s not strong against loops. Freddy/Doc has a better ability for that and they can do a lot more unlike the clown who only has that and even need to reload it.

• Splinterverse
    Splinterverse Member Posts: 445

I just find Pennywise boring compared to the other licensed options: Jason, Pinhead, Tall Man, Chucky, etc. Yes, I know we have Trapper, but Jason is synonymous with the slasher genre.

• AshleyWB

The only gripe I have with Penny-wise is that in the IT movie remake (chapter 1) it's got way too much of that 'Stranger Things' Kids do bad acting which just looks dumb and isn't remotely interesting. For every 5 minutes of enjoyment you get another 25 minutes of really bad character building.

If Penny-wise wasn't in IT then it honestly would have been one of the most boring movies I have ever watched, the acting is laughably cringey I let some of the criticism slide because a lot of the actors are kids.

I just think Charlie and the Chocolate factory had some god tier child acting compared to IT. It's like eating a food you like (pizza) but everytime you're eating it you've got someone farting in your face. Like putting toothpaste in your mashed potato. A good opportunity for horror yet you've got some child actors making it more like Peppa pig the musical or something.

The poor quality of the child actors in IT is probably more traumatising than the clown itself. It's probably more down to bad script writing trying to hard to make the group of kids feel 'normal but also misfits (bullied)'

• MatthewGames18
    MatthewGames18 Member Posts: 27

I would definitely 100000% want pennywise in this game I don’t care how many people say there already a clown no one complained when leatherface came in when we had hillbilly and no one complained about ghostface coming in since legion is in him and pennywise is powerful but dbd devs can make his power work like he can use his spider legs arms for his power or he could use red balloons I honestly think pennywise deserves to be in this game more than pinhead